Home Sports Talk
Options

Name your fav team or teams and why, who is your worst "enemy"?

Hello to all! I figured since I am a Laker fan, and the Lakers are out, which I know makes many of you happy, I thought I'd start this thread with my free time usually spent watching the Lakers in the Finals. hehehe...just kidding.....don't beat me up for that.....

I am curious who is your fav team or teams? Why? Was there any influence or reason to pick them? Who is the worst "enemy"? Please no one personally attack anyone on this thread. But of course, it can get chippy, thats ok, we gotta have some fun? Right?

I am a true Laker fan, not bandwagon. My mom is from MI, and followed Magic at MSU. When I was 7, she said we will root for whatever team he goes to. So I have been a Laker fan since 1979. It was great to grow up watching them in the 1980's, it was awesome for me. To me it seemed like they were flying. Larger then life. I cherish the memories of watching the Lakers/Celtics go at it. Now its great to have so many games on DVD. I'll never forget the Rockets tip-in breaking my heart. Or Magic's hook going in at the Garden. I for one am very grateful to see them in the Finals 16 times since I was 7.

I don't view the Celtics as the enemy, I respect them, and I love all the games, from then to now. But of course, just like all Laker/Celtic fans, nothing else matters but that rivalry, fighting for a title.

I also grew up watching Fouts/Montana/Trammell's Tigers, and now I am a Chipper Jones fan since he came in.

Comments

• Options
    scooperqprscooperqpr Posts: 438 ✭✭
    queens park rangers
    enemies include and not exclusive to
    chelsea,fulham,arsenal
  • Options
    favorites- bulls, bears, hawks, cubs

why- local teams that i've followed since I can remember

hate- penguins,packers,heat,cardinals

why- dont like crosby, packers are stacked everywhere yet ppl still think rodgers is incredible(matt flynn nearly beat the pats with the same players),dont like lebron and bosh, please pujols come to the cubs.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<packers are stacked everywhere yet ppl still think rodgers is incredible>>>

Rodgers IS incredible. Much further along than Manning or Brady after 3 years playing the position. Can make all the throws, makes great reads, and doesn't get rattled by the big moment. His TD throw to Jennings in the Super Bowl was for me, one of the best throws in Super Bowl history, especially when seen from the view from behind the QB when you see the window he had to throw to. They may be stacked on defense, but offensively, they don't have elite players other than maybe Finley and Jennings. It's certainly not the Edge/Harrison/Wayne/Clark weaponry and the other slew of 1st round offensive picks that Manning enjoyed for so many years. Rodgers is a stud.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and if I had to pick an NFL team, the Patriots. The Pats were so bad (and often blacked out) during my formative years that I didn't get into them as much as the other teams. Now with fantasy football, and pickem pools, and the like, I don't have an emotional attachment to them, because sometimes its in my best interest for them to lose or not cover.

Teams I hate - Miami Heat, Montreal Canadiens, and to a lesser degree the Yankees and Lakers.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Love:
    NFL - Saints (grew up in New Orleans as a season ticket holder for the bad 70's and early 80's)
    NHL - Hurricanes (lived in North Carolina for ten years now and have been to hundreds of games)
    NBA - since the Jazz left New Orleans, I just haven't found a team
    MLB - I always liked the Red Sox, but not to the passion of the Saints and Canes. Probably because of the 1975 Lynn/Rice/Fisk/Yaz/Tiant team

Hate:
    NFL - Falcons (Saints fans hate the Falcons)
    Cowboys (I just get so sick of people that have never even been to Texas telling me how great their team is)
    NHL - Penguins (Brooks Orpik broke my favorite player's neck in a boarding incident. I hate whatever team he is on).
    NBA - Miami now, since all of this LeBron stuff. Otherwise, nobody really
    MLB - Yankees
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Ok, I have to admit I hated the Raiders of the 80's 90's, and was soooooooo happy when Bucs beat them in SB. To me thats the same as if the Heat win this title. Yikes. Go mavs!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite teams are the ones I followed as a kid in the 50s, Browns, Indians, Reds, Celtics, and #1 the Buckeyes. I have never wavered from them except when LeBron went to the Cavs. I like to think that my heart is not filled with hate. However at one time many years ago my beloved Buckeyes had a perfect season until the NCAA finals against the University of Cincinnati. They were upset and lost the rematch the following year again in the finals. My heart did find room to hate those cheating pieces of crap at that stinking school. Although I still loved the Reds and thought highly of Oscar Robertson (he was gone from Cincinnati when they won in 61) I really hated the Bearcats. Then to rub salt in my wounds when they opened my brand new high school they adopted the nickname Bearcats. This hatred lasted several years with me wishing evil upon them, anything short of a nuclear bomb and maybe that if the wind was blowing the other direction. Years later I remember thinking the evil I wished for them was over the top, perhaps I should mellow a little and let bygones be bygones, after all by then I was in my 40s. So I believe I managed to remove the hatred in my heart and replace it with deep seated resentment. Years went by and my daughter was working her way through college locally. She wanted to be an Engineer and one day she comes over and announces "I've been accepted to one of the finest Engineering schools anywhere, The University of Cincinnati." I was supportive outwardly but inside was talking religion as in Jesus Christ, I don't believe this. Well we helped her move to her room on campus. She got tickets for myself and her brother at the UC-Buckeye game the year we won the National title. (We had to sit in the UC student section. That is another story for another day) Several years ago she had her degree. We went to the graduation ceremony. During the graduation I had to sit and stare at their GD (that's Gosh darn)banners from their two Championships. I said to myself perhaps the Lord is trying to tell me something about having hate in your heart. I think the hate is nearly completely gone now. In fact the last time the Buckeyes played UC she came over to watch the game and I proudly put out my beloved Buckeye flag and allowed her to display her piece of crap flag beside mine.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i><<<packers are stacked everywhere yet ppl still think rodgers is incredible>>>

Rodgers IS incredible. Much further along than Manning or Brady after 3 years playing the position. Can make all the throws, makes great reads, and doesn't get rattled by the big moment. His TD throw to Jennings in the Super Bowl was for me, one of the best throws in Super Bowl history, especially when seen from the view from behind the QB when you see the window he had to throw to. They may be stacked on defense, but offensively, they don't have elite players other than maybe Finley and Jennings. It's certainly not the Edge/Harrison/Wayne/Clark weaponry and the other slew of 1st round offensive picks that Manning enjoyed for so many years. Rodgers is a stud.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and if I had to pick an NFL team, the Patriots. The Pats were so bad (and often blacked out) during my formative years that I didn't get into them as much as the other teams. Now with fantasy football, and pickem pools, and the like, I don't have an emotional attachment to them, because sometimes its in my best interest for them to lose or not cover.

Teams I hate - Miami Heat, Montreal Canadiens, and to a lesser degree the Yankees and Lakers. >>

Can't compare his progression with 2 starting qbs fresh out of college(well 1 year later for brady), Rodgers was a backup from the time he got drafted til farve got out of town. Brady won 2 super bowls in the first 3 years of him starting.
  • Options
    That was a great story Brick! I enjoy your repeated use of the word "crap". hahahaha......
  • Options
    << <<<packers are stacked everywhere yet ppl still think rodgers is incredible>>>

I understand both points of few. Some would say Montana benefited from his weapons. Well so did Fouts, so did Jim Kelly. I think everything needs to come together. What good are the weapons without the QB? What good is the QB without the weapons? When the right QB and the right weapons come together, they mesh, and they have that special will power, and they want it, they get it done, and they win a SB. Some unfortantely just don't have it go their way like Kelly/Marino/Fouts, for whatever reason.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Name your fav team or teams and why, who is your worst "enemy"? >>>

fav team: Penn State Football - because I graduated there and am a big football fan as well.

worst enemy: Dallas Cowboys - because as a Philadelphia fan it's a requirement for citizenship.
  • Options
    Love
    Braves-grew up with Superstation, they were all you got.
    Orioles-near were I grew up, and still live, although liking Nats, born in DC.
    Capitals-nearest team and nothing like live hockey, tv cant do sport justice.
    Cowboys-color scheme as a youth, then stepfather turned over my Cowboys trashcan on gamedays and recorded and rewatched all Redskins games with rum and cokes, on beta, and peed in my doorway one drunken night, 30 years ago, never forgotten. Although Jones and Switzer have made it tough at times.
    Arden Soccer-my daughters soccer team, nuff said.

Hate
    Yankees/Red Sox-because I am an Orioles fan. Thanks Showalter for at least waking us up. Although Angelos makes it tough.
    Redskins-see above
    Colts-left Baltimore as I was about to become a season ticket holder.
    Penguins-Capitals nemisis
    Heat-the decision-or whatever that was

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    "worst enemy: Dallas Cowboys - because as a Philadelphia fan it's a requirement for citizenship."

"Cowboys-color scheme as a youth, then stepfather turned over my Cowboys trashcan on gamedays and recorded and rewatched all Redskins games with rum and cokes, on beta, and peed in my doorway one drunken night, 30 years ago, never forgotten. Although Jones and Switzer have made it tough at times."

I had no idea I'd get such sweet comments! HA!

And Dboneesq, I feel for you, all that matters is those 2 precious people. I hope they get well.

• Options
    For what its worth, he was only my stepfather for 3 years, my mother got wise.
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    The Braves are my favorite baseball team. Back in 66 when the Braves moved to Atlanta they were the closest team. Ted Turner used to own Channel 36 in Charlotte, the local TV market. Turner showed around 75% of the Braves games on the Charlotte station. Then when they came along on the SuperStation I again could keep up with them.

Other favorite team is The Wood Brothers Nascar race team. Ford #21. Have pulled for them since 1968 when they swirched from Ford to Mercury. I know same difference but I drove a Mercury back then and still have one. Whomever drives for the Wood Brothers is my favorite driver.

My dislikes, hate is a strong word, are the Mets, Dodgers, from the old NL West days of the Braves, and anyone in Nascar named Earnhardt.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Dislikes-Notre Dame, though that has lessened as they are increasingly irrelevant
    Mets
    Steelers
    NBA
    NHL
    Boise State-play a real schedule, then I may reconsider
    Anybody on Fox News not named Shep Smith

Likes-Braves
    MLB in general
    College Football (Auburn)
    Colts
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    portland trailblazers...nba
    hate...

lakers

nothing else needs to even be said
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Florida Gators(Just in Football) are probably the only team I can really say I can't stand and love to see them lose. Living 2 years in Gainesville really created the negative feelings.(Until then I didn't care one way or another about them).
  • Options

<< <i>like
    hate...

lakers

nothing else needs to even be said >>

Congrats! You are the first post of pure laker hate! I was wondering how long it would take. image If and when the next season starts, I wish your team the best.
  • Options

<< <i>Heat image

Celtics! They suck!

rd >>

Right to the point! Ha! I wouldn't expect anything less!!! hehehe....
  • Options
    Like: Dodgers, Lakers, UCLA, Ravens
    Dislike: Yankees, USC , Steelers ( they are the #1 dislike!)
    And , Football strikes, lets get this thing settled! Go RAVENS!
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>like
    hate...

lakers

nothing else needs to even be said >>

Congrats! You are the first post of pure laker hate! I was wondering how long it would take. image If and when the next season starts, I wish your team the best. >>

hey just wondering do the lakers hate the blazers the same way we hate the lakers?
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in LA and still love Dodgers and UCLA. Sac Kings are my #1 love because you have to love them here in Sac! It's the only game in town.

I really don't hate any team. Growing up I hated U$C but as an adult I can root for them to win as the Pac 10/west coast representative... unless they are playing UCLA of course.

I would be happy for Miami to lose bcause of the decision.
  • Options
    "hey just wondering do the lakers hate the blazers the same way we hate the lakers? "

hmmmm.....not anymore. When Wallace was there, yes, very much so! HA! And all that Patterson Kobe stopper talk. Whats left now is just an annoyance losing up their most of the time during the season. But if you start cleaning our clock on a regular basis, or beat us in a playoff match up, you bet, it'll rekindle the flames of old. Only Boston and the Spurs have had real hardcore Lakers hate. I'm sure thats all going to change very soon with older players soon to be gone, and we get a new generation.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Fav teams-Raiders-lifelong fan good,bad,ugly!Bulls-even after Jordan left,so a true fan!
    College FB.-Michigan,same for college Basketball,even after the fab 5 left.
    I have no baseball team,never even watched a game,playoffs,or even world series.Only
    collect the the big names for no real reason.

Hate,and I do hate Denver{Chargers close 2nd.}I really have no hates in Basketball
    as far as teams go,just hate lebron for the obvious reasons.Ohio St.I have hate in my heart
    for all the right and wrong reasons,Thanks Pryor and Tressell for all my happiness lately
    and its not even Football sason!!Duke only for a rivarly a long time ago,so the hate has left me now.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    I say lets agree on Denver, and leave it at that! hehehe.......image