Home Sports Talk
Options

Derek Jeter signs new $51 million 3 year contract with the Yankees

Well, that got settled much faster than I though it would.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Glad that was settled without going longer.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Happy for Jeter. 17M for an aging SS, but he is the captain and will draw huge crowds
    as he reach those milestones at 3,000 hits, and beyond.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Good decision - it's about time the yankees began spending some cash.image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The Yankees will regret overpaying for a former great, who is now a very pedestrian SS. This wasn't just a small overpayment either. This was silly money to a guy who will never hit .300 or hit 25 HR again, and may not come close.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>The Yankees will regret overpaying for a former great, who is now a very pedestrian SS. This wasn't just a small overpayment either. This was silly money to a guy who will never hit .300 or hit 25 HR again, and may not come close. >>

They won't regret overpaying, since money isn't an issue with them, but they will regret having a declining talent at SS for the next 3 years.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Yankees will regret overpaying for a former great, who is now a very pedestrian SS. This wasn't just a small overpayment either. This was silly money to a guy who will never hit .300 or hit 25 HR again, and may not come close. >>

They won't regret overpaying, since money isn't an issue with them, but they will regret having a declining talent at SS for the next 3 years. >>

I'll go out on a limb and say that Jeter's stats over the next 3 years will be in the bottom half of the AL. No one should pay $17m per for a player that will provide that. There is alot of SS talent in baseball right now. $17M per year could have bought a much, much better player IMO. Yankees need to ask themselves if they want to be loyal to thier old guys or do they want to do what it takes to win. This was not a move that will help them win championships.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Yes, but it continues to show other players that the Yankees will take care of their own. This is something not overlooked by potential free agents.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Without a doubt, Jeter is the most overpaid bum in sports.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Yankees for outbidding themselves once again.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    for a sub par shortstop that is ridiculous money, but they aren't paying for performance, the 3k plateau is coming up, the legacy, the fans, and the merch revenue all make a worth while signing.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, but it continues to show other players that the Yankees will take care of their own. This is something not overlooked by potential free agents. >>

How many big name free agents have blown through NY in the past 5 years? a lot, I think it's more taking care of a player that has earned it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, but it continues to show other players that the Yankees will take care of their own. This is something not overlooked by potential free agents. >>

How many big name free agents have blown through NY in the past 5 years? a lot, I think it's more taking care of a player that has earned it. >>

Agreed, which is why I don't think the money matters to them. I think the issue is years - by the 3rd year he'll be a huge liability at SS, with no where to move as his bat won't play at 1B and both 2B & 3B are blocked.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

How many big name free agents have blown through NY in the past 5 years? a lot, I think it's more taking care of a player that has earned it. >>

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    The stadium looks empty to me other than red sox games, looks like they need something to put the A$$es in seats, if they didnt sign him there might have been a mutiny on the bounty!
  • Options
    I am pleased to hear about Jeter staying with the Yankees.

Fans of other teams like to rant and complain about how they wished their (insert losing team name) would spend money for retaining existing players and for signing free agents. Those same ranters and complainers are critical of the Yankees for doing just what they wish their (loser team name) would have done.

In 2010, it is rare indeed to have a franchise like the Yankees that is so consistently dedicated to winning and shows dedication to players. Do they do it because they have the ability to and others don't? Yes. But there are some teams that have the ability to do this and don't. One can also make an argument that the Yankees overpaid considering Jeter's projected production the next three years.

However, one should also view this contract through the lens of how wonderful it is that a team retains players that have been good for them. This signing is also good for baseball.

One should recognize greatness, and not let personal resentment of another's success overshow it. The New York Yankees are the most storied, decorated, dynastic, star-studded, and winningest franchise in all of major North American professional sports. Just consider how many players from the 1990s the Yankees still have on their roster! In an age of rampant parity, flux, and fluid player movement - one where it can be hard for a casual fan to identify even one player on a given team anymore - this is a refreshing alternative.

(Note: I'm not a Yankee homer either. I'm a Phillies fan).
  • Options
    As a Mets fan, I'm glad to see the yankees overpay for a player.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options

• Options

<< <i>I am pleased to hear about Jeter staying with the Yankees.
    In 2010, it is rare indeed to have a franchise like the Yankees that is so consistently dedicated to winning and shows dedication to players. >>

Those 2 goals are diametrically opposed to each other. When it comes to aging players who've lost thier greatness, a team is either dedicated to their old stars OR committed to winning championships. The 2 don't go hand in hand.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    hmmm Jayson Werth just got 17 mil per yr for 7 years from the Nats.

Where are the haters?

Good for you.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmm Jayson Werth just got 17 mil per yr for 7 years from the Nats.

Where are the haters? >>

Yeah, and Marco Scutaro makes $6 million. 17 million -- 6 million = $11 million overpaid.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am pleased to hear about Jeter staying with the Yankees.
    In 2010, it is rare indeed to have a franchise like the Yankees that is so consistently dedicated to winning and shows dedication to players. >>

Those 2 goals are diametrically opposed to each other. When it comes to aging players who've lost thier greatness, a team is either dedicated to their old stars OR committed to winning championships. The 2 don't go hand in hand. >>

By spending so much on player salaries, the New York Yankees are a sports anomaly.

They (over)pay both aging players whom have lost their greatness and key free agents at the peak of their greatness and still win championships.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned, this is great. I hope the Yankees keep signing him forever, that will keep them weak at the SS position for years to come.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭✭
    Class act and great player. His stats were good until almost June and had a tremendous April. He's the type that will work hard and bounce back. He should be fully healthy to start the season.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many SS the Sox have had since Jeter began playing?

Good for you.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmm Jayson Werth just got 17 mil per yr for 7 years from the Nats.

Where are the haters? >>

I've been ranting about that contract on another board image What a horrible, horrible contract.

Tabe
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the laughs in this thread!

What most of you are forgetting is the money they make just with the Jeter name. Just cuz they pay the guy doesnt mean he will be the starting SS in 3 years. Of course I hope he bounces back from this off season and gives them a .300 BA, 15 HRs, and 100 runs scored all 3 years. If not, Yankees are NOT losing money by keeping him, in fact it is very much the opposite.

There is a lot more to this than just an aging SS.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>Without a doubt, Jeter is the most overpaid bum in sports. >>

Spoken like a true DB
  • Options

<< <i>

Spoken like a true DB >>

No doubt; he may well be overpaid, but I haven't heard a peep that leads me to believe he's anything but a class act. Given that it's only money and the Yankees seem not to be concerned about that, he's the one guy I'd say deserves to be paid for what he's already done.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Spoken like a true DB >>

No doubt; he may well be overpaid, but I haven't heard a peep that leads me to believe he's anything but a class act. Given that it's only money and the Yankees seem not to be concerned about that, he's the one guy I'd say deserves to be paid for what he's already done. >>

Yeah, that whole not sticking up for Arod when Rodriguez first came to NY was totally classy. As was faking getting hit by a pitch.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Spoken like a true DB >>

No doubt; he may well be overpaid, but I haven't heard a peep that leads me to believe he's anything but a class act. Given that it's only money and the Yankees seem not to be concerned about that, he's the one guy I'd say deserves to be paid for what he's already done. >>

Yeah, that whole not sticking up for Arod when Rodriguez first came to NY was totally classy. As was faking getting hit by a pitch.

Tabe >>

Those are honestly the biggest two beefs you have with him?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>Those are honestly the biggest two beefs you have with him? >>

You said "haven't heard a peep that leads me to believe he's anything but a class act" - I gave you two peeps about that image

I don't really have any beef with Jeter himself (he's from Kalamazoo, went to a school where I taught...) but he's not the 100% total class act he's been portrayed as.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those are honestly the biggest two beefs you have with him? >>

You said "haven't heard a peep that leads me to believe he's anything but a class act" - I gave you two peeps about that image

I don't really have any beef with Jeter himself (he's from Kalamazoo, went to a school where I taught...) but he's not the 100% total class act he's been portrayed as.

Tabe >>

And neither of those two peeps change my opinion. Dissing Arod is actually a plus in my book.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They won't regret overpaying, since money isn't an issue with them, but they will regret having a declining talent at SS for the next 3 years. >>

I'll go out on a limb and say that Jeter's stats over the next 3 years will be in the bottom half of the AL. No one should pay $17m per for a player that will provide that. There is alot of SS talent in baseball right now. $17M per year could have bought a much, much better player IMO. Yankees need to ask themselves if they want to be loyal to thier old guys or do they want to do what it takes to win. This was not a move that will help them win championships. >>

-Yes this former great has looked very pedestrian since the new contract.

-For the record Jeter has never hit 25 HR in a single season. Did Pete Rose ever hit 25 HR?

-You were right about one thing (so far)..... He only hit .297 last year. Most of which came after a horrible start, and a trip to the DL (see horrible start). Not to mention dealing with the 3000th hit chase.

-Early on this season he has put himself in very good position to hit .300.

-Jason Werth makes 17M per year.

-Jeter=ALL TIME great. You can't get around it Yankee haters. He could end up third on the All Time Hit List. I'm not saying he will, but if he decides to play as many years, and to the same age as Hank Aaron did he will have a very realistic chance of passing him. For the record by saying this I am not trying to say that Jeter is better than Aaron (relax) just saying that he will have more hits than him.

I think I'm going to bump this thread everytime Jeter passes a HOFer on the ATHL. Should be good for five to seven more bumps this season. Maybe eight. This one is for my second favorite player growing up.....Dave Winfield.

Tony Gywnn I love you, but you're next.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If I was a betting man, I'd say he finishes 5th on the all-time hits list. I actually consider myself a "Jeter Hater", but you gotta have respect for the man. I don't remember him ever having a better start than he has this year, which is saying something. I'm glad I drafted him as my "flex" this year in Fantasy Baseball.

On a side note, in 2007 at the MLB Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony (Cal Ripken/Tony Gwynn), there was an estimated 75,000 people in attendance, which was the largest turnout in the history of the HOF. I'm willing to bet Jeter's enshrinement will demolish that record.
  • Options

<< <i>If I was a betting man, I'd say he finishes 5th on the all-time hits list. I actually consider myself a "Jeter Hater", but you gotta have respect for the man. I don't remember him ever having a better start than he has this year, which is saying something. I'm glad I drafted him as my "flex" this year in Fantasy Baseball.

On a side note, in 2007 at the MLB Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony (Cal Ripken/Tony Gwynn), there was an estimated 75,000 people in attendance, which was the largest turnout in the history of the HOF. I'm willing to bet Jeter's enshrinement will demolish that record. >>

That's all fair IMO.

Did you get a chance to go in 07? Cal was my favorite non Yankee growing up.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'll go out on a limb and say that Jeter's stats over the next 3 years will be in the bottom half of the AL. No one should pay $17m per for a player that will provide that. There is alot of SS talent in baseball right now. $17M per year could have bought a much, much better player IMO. Yankees need to ask themselves if they want to be loyal to thier old guys or do they want to do what it takes to win. This was not a move that will help them win championships. >>

-Yes this former great has looked very pedestrian since the new contract.

-For the record Jeter has never hit 25 HR in a single season. Did Pete Rose ever hit 25 HR?

-You were right about one thing (so far)..... He only hit .297 last year. Most of which came after a horrible start, and a trip to the DL (see horrible start). Not to mention dealing with the 3000th hit chase.

-Jeter=ALL TIME great. You can't get around it Yankee haters. He could end up third on the All Time Hit List. I'm not saying he will, but if he decides to play as many years, and to the same age as Hank Aaron did he will have a very realistic chance of passing him. For the record by saying this I am not trying to say that Jeter is better than Aaron (relax) just saying that he will have more hits than him.

I think I'm going to bump this thread everytime Jeter passes a HOFer on the ATHL. Should be good for five to seven more bumps this season. Maybe eight. This one is for my second favorite player growing up.....Dave Winfield.

Tony Gywnn I love you, but you're next. >>

No one is arguing that Jeter ISNT an all time great. We all agree he is. But you don't pay someone a HUGE new contract when their talent appears to be in decline and they are old. Hindsight is 20/20, but given the info available at the time, I still think they overpaid. I hope he has a tremendous few years and earns every penny. One other thing- I HATE the Mets...when I say that, I reallly do mean that I dislike that franchise with a passion. That being said, even the Mets knew their limits when looking at giving Reyes a new long-term contract. I'm no saying that Jeter and Reyes are in the same stages of their career, clearly they aren't. But I am saying that the Mets made a wise decision not to pay Reyes more than he was worth, just to keep him around (although the Mets final offer to Reyes was still rich IMO). When you have a team legend like Jeter is, both the team and player should be honest about the value of said player. Best outcomes are when the players don't ask for more than they are worth (just because they put fans in the seats) and also when teams don't demand hometown discounts. In Jeter's situation, I think he knew he could get much more than he was really worth, and did so. No way Yankees mgmt wanted to see Jeter in another uniform or have to explain to fans why he left town.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you get a chance to go in 07? Cal was my favorite non Yankee growing up. >>

Yes, it was a great experience! The only other time I went to Cooperstown was for the 1999 Induction of Ryan/Yount/Brett, and that was formerly the largest crowd with about 50k people. We learned our lesson about transportation back in 1999, so when we went in 2007 we brought our bikes and parked about three miles away. Once the ceremony was over, we rode our bikes back to the car, past all of the people, and were one of the first ones out of town! I've talked to others who said it took them over 8 hours to get out of town!

Anyway, back to Jeter. image
  • Options

<< <i>No one is arguing that Jeter ISNT an all time great. We all agree he is. But you don't pay someone a HUGE new contract when their talent appears to be in decline and they are old. Hindsight is 20/20, but given the info available at the time, I still think they overpaid. I hope he has a tremendous few years and earns every penny. One other thing- I HATE the Mets...when I say that, I reallly do mean that I dislike that franchise with a passion. That being said, even the Mets knew their limits when looking at giving Reyes a new long-term contract. I'm no saying that Jeter and Reyes are in the same stages of their career, clearly they aren't. But I am saying that the Mets made a wise decision not to pay Reyes more than he was worth, just to keep him around (although the Mets final offer to Reyes was still rich IMO). When you have a team legend like Jeter is, both the team and player should be honest about the value of said player. Best outcomes are when the players don't ask for more than they are worth (just because they put fans in the seats) and also when teams don't demand hometown discounts. In Jeter's situation, I think he knew he could get much more than he was really worth, and did so. No way Yankees mgmt wanted to see Jeter in another uniform or have to explain to fans why he left town. >>

McAdams

I know you didn't say he wasn't an all time great. I had to toss that in there for all the haters who may read the thread in the future image. I'm not trying to bicker with you, and in all honesty I can understand why Yankee Haters would want it to be over for him. Just that IMO saying that he was 100% done, and not worthy of an above avg contract was premature at that point. It was all based on one sub par season. 2010. That's it. Jeter would never admit, but speculation was that he played hurt most of that year, and we know he was hurt at the start of last year since he went on the DL. Given his track record I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt, especially after just one bad year.

I also don't think you can compare the Reyes and Jeter situations. Like you said different career stages. Also, different overall make up as a baseball player, different financial situations for the two clubs, and lets face it different results. Reyes has never won anything other than a batting title in which he selfishly took himself out of the game after a bunt hit locked it up for him. He knew it was going to be his last game as a Met, but he stood there on first base calling for a pinch runner. Reyes just doesn't get it. Jeter gets it.

For a minute forget about what he brings on the field (good or bad), and forget the extra fans he puts in the seats......The Yankees probably make over 17 mil per year in Jeter T-shirt sales alone. Why shouldn't he get his fair slice of the pie? IMO this would be true no matter what team he played for at this point given his marketability. With all the money the Yankees make directly due to the fact that he is on the team he could have gotten more IMO. In the end I think it was pretty fair all around. More than the Yanks wanted to give him at that point, and I'm sure it was less than Jeter wanted.

One could argue that Atlanta did the same thing with Chipper. Similar situation to Jeter IMO. 2008 Chipper hit .364.....In 2009, (his walk year) he hit 100 points lower. They gave him 3 years 14 mil per year at the age of 38 with a much bigger history of injury than Jeter. Did they think Chipper would 100% live up to that contract? Probably not, but did/does he deserve it? You bet your sweet aspercream he does! Look at what he has meant to the team, fans, city, and baseball in general. That counts for something, or at least it should IMO.

Who wants to see Joe Montana in a Chiefs helmet?.....Ya know.

• Options
    Jeters one hit today gave him 3142 total passing Tony Gwynn, and pulling even with fellow shortstop Robin Yount on the All Time Hit List.

Next up Paul Waner 3152, and George Brett 3154.

• Options
    Jeter went 3-5 last night giving him 3152 total hits , as he pulled even with The Immortal Paul Waner for 16th on the All Time Hit List.

Mr. Waner, this bumps for you.

Up next,The Great George Brett with 3154 lifetime hits.

• Options
    Jeter had one hit in yesterdays Yankee 2-0 win giving him 3155 total. With that he moves into sole possesion of 15th place on the All Time Hit List, breaking a tie with George Brett.

Up next.....Yet another one of my childhood idols......Mister Cal Ripken Jr with 3184 lifetime base knocks.

• Options
    This bump is in honor of the 20th anniversary of The New York Yankees drafting Jeter 6th overall in 1992

A special shout out goes out to the 5 MLB teams who passed on DJ

1- Houston just HAD to have Phil Nevin
    2-Cleveland saw Paul Shuey as their future closer
    3-Montreal took BJ Wallace (Never pitched above AA, and was arrested last month for making meth in his home
    4-Baltimore of course had Cal, so felt no need to draft a SS....they went with Jeffery Hammonds
    5 Cincy took Chad Mattola. Mattola logged all of 125 AB in the big leagues, with 4 teams, over an 11 season span.

Here an article on how Jeter fell into the Yankees lap.

Text

• Options
    In a loss to the White Sox on Friday night, Jeter passed Cal Ripken (3184 hits) on the All Time Hits List.

DJ was able to pass Cal in 501 less games, 1363 less at bats, and, and 1380 less plate appearances than Ripken had.

Just like all the Yankee Haters say, Jeter is overrated. image

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    He is overrated defensively, not offensively.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeter will be staring at Willie Mays eyeball to eyeball come October on the big list.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a Dan sighting! Hey Dan!
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I've been waiting impatiently for two days for this thread to be updated. Jeter passed Lajoie to move into 13th position on the hit list. I'm not a Yankee fan, but I love the fact a 38 year-old can be leading the league in hits.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<I've been waiting impatiently for two days for this thread to be updated. Jeter passed Lajoie to move into 13th position on the hit list. I'm not a Yankee fan, but I love the fact a 38 year-old can be leading the league in hits. >> >>

I wonder how many hits he will end up with? If he keeps getting hits how many more years could he have in him?

Stats
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I don't know where I was getting LaJoie's hit total, but I was apparently wrong and Jeter passed him tonight (along with tying Eddie Murray). Alas, premature again.

-Jimmy
  • Options
    Worth every penny!
    For The Best Prices on Sports Memorabilia Check out My Online Sports Memorabilia Store