Home Sports Talk
Options

How 'bout Chipper Jones?!?!?

Always liked this guy; and I think this is the season where I can finally put him on my "Certain Future Hall Of Famers" list. How do you feel about Chipper's HOF chances?

ATLANTA (AP) -A threat to hit 400? Chipper Jones is already there.

The Atlanta Braves slugger cracked his 400th career home run Thursday night and finished with four hits in a 7-5 victory over the Florida Marlins , raising his major league-leading batting average to .418.

Jones came out of the dugout for what he said was only the second curtain call of his career as fans cheered his milestone homer in the sixth inning. He became the third switch-hitter to reach 400 home runs, following Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle (536) and Eddie Murray (504).

''To be lumped in with those guys is what I'm shooting for,'' Jones said. ''This is a step closer but still a long, long way from those guys. They set the bar really high.''

The 36-year-old Jones lifted his batting average from .409 to .418 by going 4-for-5 with singles in the first, third and eighth. He hit his 14th homer of the season about 10 rows deep into the right-field seats with two outs in the sixth.

''He never came up in a situation where we could pitch around him,'' said Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez, a former Braves coach. ''He's sure not missing. He's locked in. I've never seen him this hot for this long.''

Jones paused to admire his homer before beginning his jog around the bases.

''I'm glad it wasn't a loss so I can enjoy it,'' he said. ''In no way do I want to show anybody up. ... It was a huge monkey off my back.''

As the video board replayed the shot, fans called Jones out of the dugout.

''That was my second curtain call here in Atlanta,'' he said, before reciting details of a three-run homer off New York Mets pitcher Al Leiter in 1999.

Only two curtain calls? Jones said that's fine with him.

''This is a town that's laid back and it fits my personality,'' he said.

Braves manager Bobby Cox said he has seen ''every single one'' of Jones' homers.

''He's quite the player,'' Cox said. ''He's one great player, four hits tonight and one was a homer, a stolen base and picked it at third again. He's just having a fabulous season. Gets better with age.''

The focus now will shift back to Jones' batting average.

The last time a major leaguer was hitting .418 or better through games of June 5 was in 1994, when Paul O'Neill of the New York Yankees had a .430 average on that date, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The last major leaguer to hit .400 for a season was Boston's Ted Williams , who batted .406 in 1941.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chips' off to a phenominal start this year! I always liked him-

+1 for drafting him in the 6th round of my fantasy draft this year! image
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Chipper is one of the players I have liked alot during his career. I also was wondering the same before the season started and I personally thought if he could add a couple more solid years, he could have a shot at the HOF. It looks like Chipper is chasing history now and I hope he stays healthy!
  • Options
    I would love to see a 3 way statistical breakdown between Chipper, Brett, and Schmidt. Every game he plays he cements huimself amongst the best 3b of all time.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    I used to live down the street from Chipper back in the late 90's. He might have HOF numbers but he gave out crappy candy at Halloween to the kids.
  • Options

<< <i>I used to live down the street from Chipper back in the late 90's. He might have HOF numbers but he gave out crappy candy at Halloween to the kids. >>

I read a story that Jason Varitek signed autographs at his home for Halloween after his daughter said he should do it.
    Chipper is just like JD Drew. Guys who day after day just go out and play. You never see them show any emotion. It's
    all business, and they're both very good at it, with Chipper just a little better. Don't they call him Larry in NY when he
    comes up to bat ? Why do they do that ?
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    His real name is Larry.

He's a HOF'er in the book of many, but likely not quite yet with the writers unless he goes down with a Kirby Puckett type injury. This is season #14 for him. Another 2 to 3 solid years and there will be no more debate.

His 162 game average is .310 33 HRs and 110 RBIs 36 2B and 11 SBs with a .406 OBP & .550 SLG

George Brett played 20 full seasons and his 162 averages were .305 19 HRs, 95 RBIs, 40 2B, 12 SB with a .369 OBP .487 SLG

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    It's all because Chipp decided to sign for me in bunches during this spring training. Andruw Jones refused, and look how his year turned out.....image
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't vote him in on his current stats, but he's still got a few years left to clinch the deal easily...
  • Options
    I've always been a big Chipper fan, but as with most aging players, he's going to start breaking down more
    frequently. The key for him will be staying healthy.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's certainly more deserving for the HOF than Mike Mussina...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>It's all because Chipp decided to sign for me in bunches during this spring training. Andruw Jones refused, and look how his year turned out.....image >>

He's an a$$hole!!! I saw him at the Waterfront in Covington, Ky in 1994 with Ryan Klesko and acted like his $hit smelled better than mine. Ryan Klesko was a great person, but when I asked for C. Jones auto, he looked at me and rolled his eyes. So, ever since then I hated him.
    There is nothing I hate worse than somebody who thinks they are better than you because of their celebrity status. Back then, he was a nobody.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>

<< <i>It's all because Chipp decided to sign for me in bunches during this spring training. Andruw Jones refused, and look how his year turned out.....image >>

He's an a$$hole!!! I saw him at the Waterfront in Covington, Ky in 1994 with Ryan Klesko and acted like his $hit smelled better than mine. Ryan Klesko was a great person, but when I asked for C. Jones auto, he looked at me and rolled his eyes. So, ever since then I hated him.
    There is nothing I hate worse than somebody who thinks they are better than you because of their celebrity status. Back then, he was a nobody. >>

WOW, he's changed. He signed for literally 100 people at a spring game and even signed a ball AND a bat for me. He must've wised up as time went on. He's always been my favorite player and for him to sign that much for me was pretty exciting. Chip normally signs a lot in the spring, but it's always been wrong place, wrong time, etc. for me.
  • Options
    I am glad to hear that he changed. I know he has alot of fans out there and he should be proud to sign for them. I realize that there is a wrong place and a wrong time, but he was just leaning up against a pole so I figure what the heck. I'll try to get his auto. Denied!!!

Also, it must be horrible to be bombarded by people for their auto's, but that was 14 or 15 years ago. I am sure it is worse today for him. I am sure that he has learned how to adjust over the years to the rush of his fans.

edited for spelling
  • Options
    He's at .421 after tonight.
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>He's certainly more deserving for the HOF than Mike Mussina... >>

• Options
    He put up some very very good numbers during the steroids era.
    I believe his 3rd all time on the HR list for switch hitters (Behind Mantle and Murray)

I think he is a lock for the HOF right now, but 2-3 more seasons seals the deal.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I don't want to jinx Chipper, but I would love to see someone finish above .400 during my lifetime!!! And to you Braves fans, I hope he is able to stay a Brave his entire career!

Someone needs to start a Chipper Chasing .400 thread!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    He was a HOFer before this year started, assuming he played a few more decent seasons.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Happy 40th Chipper
  • Options
    Besides Birthday Grandma's this thread has been dead for 4 year. So I ask you now, Is Chipper HOF worthy?
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely! 19 years .935 OPS with over .300 BA and .533 SLG he gets my vote.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Happy birthday Chipper!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Career slash line above .300/.400/.500 in 10,000 or more PAs.

The list of guys who have done that is: Chipper, Frank Thomas, Stan Musial, Mel Ott, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker.