Home Sports Talk

Omar Vizquel. Hall of Famer?

The numbers and the overall career really look pretty similar to Luis Aparicio. I say yes.

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• No chance he makes it in.

Never a league leader in anything, great defensive player, but the hall already has a great defensive player with zero offense - ozzie smith.

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure? Here are Omar's numbers compared to Aparicio:

Aparicio:

18 Seasons 2599 10230 1335 2677 394 92 83 791 736 742 506 136 .262

Vizquel:

18 Seasons 2583 9465 1334 2592 416 70 76 862 940 951 380 152 .274 .340 .357 .697

Looks identical to me. He's in.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • He'll get in, sure, as soon as he buys his ticket.

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

They played in completely different eras, and when your defense boils down to a marginal HoFer, you know you've lost.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    No. Remember that Vizquel played in a high offense era. Personally, I am not sure that Aparicio belongs in. Even if Vizquel is as good as Aparicio, I would not vote for him.
  • To make the case for the Hall-of-Fame based on the lowest player inducted is always silly. Even then, compare All-Star games and years recieving MVP votes: 10 All-Star games for Aparicio and 10 years recieving MVP votes; three All-Star appearances and only once having any MVP votes for Vizquel. That is a lot more telling about them as players than having 1300 runs scored. Aparicio did benefit from the time when there were two All-Star games and obviously some of the voters may not have made intelligent decisions, but it does hint at who was more appreciated during there own time

The strongest case for why Vizquel shouldn't make the Hall-of-Fame is that Trammell was better shortstop and he didn't make it. When there are better players at the same position not it, how can Vizquel be a truly worth candidate

Over the past two decades Jeter, Larkin, and Rodriguez are all better and Tejada could surpass him soon

Ozzie Smith is probably the greatest defensive player in history and better offensively

He could make it, and there are certainly worse players already in, but it would simply be a pretty major inconsistency
    Tom
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    imageWhen I saw this I had to comment. I could care less about the Hall of Fame, but people are seriously dissing Omar. The same reasons that people are using to say he should not get in are reasons he should get in. Some people compare him to Aparicio and I agree that the eras are completely different so this is not a good comparison- the term was used that Aparicio was a lower level Hall of Famer in which I agree. But when you talk about all star appearances this is where I completely disagree. Vizquel has made 3 all star games. They normally only pick 2 to 3 shortstops every year to the all star team. They have been Arod, Ripken, Tejada 150 RBI's MVP, Jeter maybe 3500 hits, Garciaparra awesome for the years he was an A.L. shortstop. The point I'm getting at is a couple of these guys are in the 20 greatest all time of all players. -upper level hall of Famers. How was he supposed to make the all star team? Defensively he was better in the second half of his career than Ozzie was. Ozzie got old and was not as good on defense in his later years. And as far as offense I would take Vizquel in a heartbeat over Ozzie. If Omar keeps playing and his hit total rises he will be a serious candidate. Ozzie had "no" power at all. Also, Alomar and Vizquel were the best DP combo I have ever seen. Highlights every night. I've also met Omar and he is a very decent friendly person. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. Thanks guys.
  • Like one poster said above, before you start talking Vizquel in the Hall of Fame, put the guys in who have been overlooked due to ignorance first.

To put Vizquel in while Alan Trammel is sitting out is absurd. No need to elaborate on the two, as if one can't see it, then I would rather not do baseball 101 again and pull my hair out because of ignorance.

Forget about the obvious here, there is a guy who is similar to Vizquel who is not in the Hall either, and that is Dave Concepcion. Vizquel was flashy on defense, but that doesn't equate to making more outs.

In the BP fielding runs, they have Vizquel and Concepcion in fielding runs as follows....

Concepcion 146 above average
    Vizquel 103 above average.

I will also put Concepcion every bit as good as Vizquel if you go by the subjective 'eye' test...that is who 'looked' better. Most people's eyes completely lie to them, but for the novices, they aren't any different.

Offensively, here are their OPS+ for their careers. They both played very long....

Concepcion 88
    Vizquel 84

Also keep in mind that a higher OPS+ is easier to achive in Vizquel's era, so that gap is even wider.

He wasn't even as good a fielder as Belanger. That isn't a negative, but he just wasn't.

-skinpinch
  • So Aparicio was perhaps the best shortstop of his time and you readily admit Vizquel is no where close. And Aparicio is not simply lower level, he is lowest level. He is the worst shortstop to be elected to the Hall-of-Fame by the baseball writers. Even if Vizquel is equal, I would hope the Hall-of-Fame is not about repeating previous questionable calls

Trying to make objective appraisals is not a dis. Anyone would have a hard time keeping Vizquel out of the top five defensive shortstops in history. He has had over 10 years where he has most definitely helped his team. Far too many players that are not in the Hall-of-Fame have achieved more success than that

If he keeps playing and if his hit total rises ... he is still at the point where he is no longer even an above average player, so if he is not doing very much to help his team win, what he does in his 40s should not impact his place in history

Smith was one of the best baserunners in history and played in a much less offensive era
    Tom
  • Im guessing a lot of you guys havent seen Omar play on a regular basis. I'd strongly encourage you to catch him during his prime (even today he is better than 80% of the SS in both leagues defensively)

He might not get in the HOF but he is without a doubt one of the best SS in the last 30 years.
  • No one disputed he was a fine defensive shortstop, but to even mention him as a potential HOF candidate is pure folly.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Unless he has announced he's retiring, I'd be willing to bet he could easily play another 5 years.

• <<Unless he has announced he's retiring, I'd be willing to bet he could easily play another 5 years>>

Just like Derek Jeter when he approaches 4,300 hits. image

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Jeter is going to get 2000 hits in 5 years? Wouldn't that be some kind of record?
  • For what's it worth:

HOF Monitor: Batting - 104.5 (138) (Likely HOFer > 100)

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the simplest answer is usually the correct one. forget all the statistics about both Trammel and Vizquel and just look at the markets they play(ed) in. minor markets like Cleveland, Detroit and Seattle require players to excell to greater levels to be noticed and these two stars in their own right are no exceptions to that rule. if either had played substantial periods of their carreers in New York or LA this discussion would be moot.
    "Im guessing a lot of you guys havent seen Omar play on a regular basis. I'd strongly encourage you to catch him during his prime (even today he is better than 80% of the SS in both leagues defensively)

He might not get in the HOF but he is without a doubt one of the best SS in the last 30 years."

This is correct. And if he had played in New York or Beantown we'd all be on here having an Omar JOS singing his praises and his HOF credentials. This is what gets me about the HOF debate. We cry about Jim Rice not being in, but flip it around and put him on Milwaukee or Kansas City and no one would even remember Jim Rice.

Someone mentioned Concepcion. Please. I saw both Omar and Concepcion in their primes and as good as Davey was, on his best day he did not approach what Omar could do in the field. In his prime, Vizquel was an absolute defensive magician.

Ron

Ron Burgundy

Vizquel was an absolute defensive magician.

better than Smith hands down.
  • Boston and New York may be the two cities that dominate the most in players that come close to the Hall-of-Fame but didn't make and probably don't deserve it: Evans, Gossage, Hernandez, Lynn, Maris, Mattingly, Rice, Smith, Tiant. Milwaukee and Kansas City combine for only one, Ted Simmons (and maybe Saberhagen or Quisenberry, but that's a stretch and even then not much difference between Guidry and Gooden). Of all those players listed, Vizquel most certainly does not seperate himself and if he played in Boston or New York it would not change the way voters look at him
    Tom
  • " Vizquel most certainly does not seperate himself and if he played in Boston or New York it would not change the way voters look at him"

I could not disagree more.
  • How many players worse than Vizquel have made the Hall-of-Fame because of the city they played in?

Hunter is the only one and Vizuel won't be on the ballot until at least 25 years have passed since that mistake. Certainly not Carter who was a Gold Glove catcher and a much better hitter than Vizquel. Veterans committee made plenty of abominable selections and did favor the New York teams heavily, but that was all players who played in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s and enough people on the committee knew them personally to push them forward. That nepotism has hopefully been cleared up for good

When one underserving player from New York (who was not really any worse than Lemon who played his entire career in Cleveland) it is silly to try and claim the home city makes a difference in the mind of the baseball writers
    Tom
    "Boston and New York may be the two cities that dominate the most in players that come close to the Hall-of-Fame but didn't make and probably don't deserve it: Evans, Gossage, Hernandez, Lynn, Maris, Mattingly, Rice, Smith, Tiant. Milwaukee and Kansas City combine for only one, Ted Simmons (and maybe Saberhagen or Quisenberry, but that's a stretch and even then not much difference between Guidry and Gooden)."

Good grief. The prime reason there even is a debate with some of those guys is because of the jersey they wore. Again, put these guys (some, not all) in a Texas Rangers uniform and all of a sudden they look more like Toby Harrah and Buddy Bell. For crying out loud, would we have a Jim Thome debate about his Hall credentials with 500 HR's had he donned the pinstripes? I think not.

Riddle me this: Put Phil Rizzuto in an Indians uniform and Omar in pinstripes. Same numbers, same accomplishments. Tell me who gets in.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is wrong to equate "city played in" with "World Series won" -- NYY players have won the most by far so there should be some sentiment when voting for HOF players on winning teams. In case it is not clear by the nature of my posts, I do hate the Yankees, but don't argue with their success.

In fact, I am wearing my "YANKEES SUCK" t-shirt as I type this.image
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    You cannot elect Hall of Famers today based upon prior mistakes.

If you let a continually sliding scale in...soon it will be Dave Kingman, Porfio Altamarino and Mario Mendoza being considered because they weren't significantly different than the worst player let in at that position...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • You cannot elect Hall of Famers today based upon prior mistakes.

This says it all.

Many of the disscussions on getting IFFY players in to the HOF is based on "well, so n so is in"...............Sound like a discussion my 12 year olds would have
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can't visualize Vizquel in the HOF. No way.
  • If you can look at the game in a different light, speed, Phenomenal defense, sacraficing, superb bunter, team player, class act, I can certainly envision players like Omar in the HOF. its not all about homeruns and batting crowns. Omar put up some solid numbers hitting 8,9 in the lineup. Look at his numbers when he batted higher up in the order; scored a ton of runs.

He might not be a HOF but defensively FEW folks in the HOF are on his level.

• << <i>Riddle me this: Put Phil Rizzuto in an Indians uniform and Omar in pinstripes. Same numbers, same accomplishments. Tell me who gets in >>

Most likely niether. As I already wrote, Rizzuto made the Hall-of-Fame because of nepotism on the Veterans Committee (same with Reese, Jackson, Lazzeri), fortunately it looks like that is being eliminated so Vizquel could not benefit from it no matter what. Baseball writers have always had far higher standards, standards that Vizquel does not meet

We debate the idea of Thome (and Vizquel) because that is what baseball fans do. Just as over 15% of the writers did not vote for Winfield, a small percentage will believe Thome doesn't deserve to make it either

If there really was a big enough bias to move Vizquel from undeserving to elected based on the uniform it should be evident based on past voting. But it isn't. Otherwise you would be able to answer with what undeserving players have the baseball writers elected because of the city they played in? Along with Hunter, maybe Sandberg, maybe Cater or Fisk. And even then it may have more to do with personality and a famous World Series homerun than the city. And those three were much better players than Vizquel
    Tom
    I'm not making the argument that because so and so is there, someone else deserves to be in. I am saying that where someone plays has an impact on whether they get in, especially for those who are marginal.

And by the way, I think that Aparicio belongs. I was not arguing that because Luis is in, Omar should be admitted.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• << <i>I'm not making the argument that because so and so is there, someone else deserves to be in. I am saying that where someone plays has an impact on whether they get in, especially for those who are marginal. >>

But your entire argument has been based on Aparicio being in....in fact, your first two posts states as much.

<< <i>And by the way, I think that Aparicio belongs. I was not arguing that because Luis is in, Omar should be admitted. >>

Hmm...

<< <i> The numbers and the overall career really look pretty similar to Luis Aparicio. I say yes.

Are you sure? Here are Omar's numbers compared to Aparicio:

Aparicio:

18 Seasons 2599 10230 1335 2677 394 92 83 791 736 742 506 136 .262

Vizquel:

18 Seasons 2583 9465 1334 2592 416 70 76 862 940 951 380 152 .274 .340 .357 .697

Looks identical to me. He's in. >>

The entire basis for your argument for Omar's induction is based on Aparicio.

• metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Shortstops with mega power were special, but Viz, Trammell. Davey and Barry Larkin all deserve to be in.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
    the focus of the game today has become all about LOOOOOOOOOOONG home runs, FAAAAAAAAAAAASTBALLS that go 100 MPH and numbers, numbers, numbers. nobody really cares about whether or not a player can bunt, will give himself up to move the runner, is able to hit behind the runner on the hit-and-run, concerns himself with the team first and his paycheck/stats second, gets the ball in the air to the outfield with a runner on third, keeps his mouth shut and doesn't become a distraction when things don't go his way.

Omar does all those things and it's a sure bet he doesn't really care if he gets in, just watch him play!!! i kind of think he enjoys what he's doing and takes everything in stride, ultimately he'll fade into the horizon and leave us to talk about what he did with his glove. shame on us all for not appreciating the intangibles he holds as important while he plays-----respect for the game, respect for his teammates and what comes across to me as genuine humility.
    I would support a candidacy for Larkin. Not sure about Trammell. As much as I love the Big Red Machine, I don't think Davey makes the cut.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

FWIW, Ozzie's range factor was about 23% above the league average, and was well above average even at the end of his career. Aparacio was 10% above average; Vizquel is 7% above average.

The numbers were take from baseball-reference.com.
    Win Shares has Vizquel on the outside looking in. He was at 250 before the 2007, Ozzie retired at 325.

Scout.com > Seattle
    Win Shares and the Hall of Fame – 2007 Update
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Gilbert
    TheSTLCardinals.com Feb 2, 2007

Bill Gilbert’s third annual assessment of the Hall of Fame prospects for active players using the Bill James Win Share system. In the past, James has stated that 400 Win Shares means absolute enshrinement.

For the past three years, I have taken a look at the Hall of Fame credentials of active players based on the Bill James Win Share system. In the Win Shares system, James states that 400 career Win Shares means absolute enshrinement in the Hall of Fame and 300 Win Shares makes a player more likely than not to be a Hall of Famer. However, he cautions, while those standards describe the past, they are not as likely to describe the future as accurately. Players with 300 to 350 Win Shares in the past have generally gone into the Hall of Fame. In the future, they more often will not.
    The Win Shares system provides a useful method of examining the body of work that a player has accumulated in his career. In the case of active players, it is interesting to see if they are on track for the Hall.

The first list includes active players with 300 or more Win Shares. Topping the list is Barry Bonds with 686 Win Shares, a total exceeded by only Babe Ruth (756) and Ty Cobb (722). Despite gaining only four Win Shares in 2006, Gary Sheffield joined Roger Clemens and Craig Biggio as the only other active players with 400 Win Shares. Five players passed the 300 mark in 2006: Jeff Kent, Randy Johnson, Jim Thome, Tom Glavine and Chipper Jones. Glavine gained five Win Shares on Johnson in 2006 and is on the verge of passing him to become the top left-handed pitcher of his generation, based on Win Shares.

Active Players with 300 Win Shares (WS)

1/1/07 '06 WS thru
    Age WS 2006 Comment
    Pos. Players
    Barry Bonds 42 25 686 Only Ruth and Cobb have more.
    Craig Biggio 41 11 422 Closing in on Ripken at 427.
    G. Sheffield 38 4 402 Now in can’t miss territory over 400.
    Frank Thomas 38 21 383 Huge '06 comeback ensures election.
    K. Griffey Jr 37 9 367 Early success should be enough.
    A. Rodriguez 31 25 340 Still piles up stats in an off-year.
    Manny Ramirez 34 27 334 Had best year on this list.
    Mike Piazza 38 11 320 Best hitting catcher ever.
    Jeff Kent 38 18 313 Building a pretty strong case.
    B. Williams 38 8 311 Nearing the end, probably short of Hall.
    Jim Thome 36 25 304 Has a shot after comeback in 2006.
    Chipper Jones 34 22 301 A couple more good years and he's in.

Pitchers
    Roger Clemens 44 11 432 Fifth on all-time list for pitchers.
    Greg Maddux 40 12 383 Sure bet for the Hall.
    Randy Johnson 43 8 305 Another sure bet despite recent decline.
    Tom Glavine 40 13 303 Should reach 300 wins in 2007.

A strong group of players have apparently completed their careers in 2005 with 300+ Win Shares and will appear on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time in 2011 if they stay retired.

1/1/07 WS thru
    Age 2006 Comment
    Player
    Rafael Palmeiro 42 394 Left under a cloud.
    Jeff Bagwell 38 387 Should lead this class.
    Sammy Sosa 38 311 Ugly exit in '05. May be back.
    Larry Walker 40 307 May not be enough.
    John Olerud 38 301 Not enough power.

The next list is of players with 250 Win Shares through 2006. These players should get on the HOF ballot but most will not be elected. Three players moved into this group in 2006, Moises Alou, Carlos Delgado and Omar Vizquel.

Active Players with 250 Win Shares

Age on WS in WS thru
    1/1/2007 2006 2006 Comment
    Position Players
    Luis Gonzalez 39 12 297 Doesn’t have the numbers.
    Steve Finley 41 10 296 Same category as Gonzalez.
    Ivan Rodriguez 35 24 296 A sure bet.
    Jason Giambi 35 22 283 Needs 3 or 4 more big years.
    Julio Franco 48 3 278 Amazing career but not HOF.
    Derek Jeter 32 32 277 Another sure thing.
    Jim Edmonds 36 11 274 Not quite HOF caliber.
    Kenny Lofton 39 12 273 Lengthy but not dominant career.
    Moises Alou 40 14 263 Missed too much playing time.
    Carlos Delgado 34 22 262 Borderline if he stays productive.
    Omar Vizquel 39 20 250 Way short of Ozzie Smith’s 325 WS.

Pitcher
    John Smoltz 39 15 272 Will get some consideration.

The final list is of active players that have 200 Win Shares. Many are productive veterans with good careers but without HOF credentials. Only those on this list younger than 35 have a realistic chance. Six players joined this list in 2006: Johnny Damon, Ray Durham, Albert Pujols, Miguel Tejada, Nomar Garciaparra and Jason Kendall.

Active Players with 200 Win Shares

Age on WS in WS thru
    1/1/2007 2006 2006 Comment
    Position Players
    Bobby Abreu 32 27 249 Needs a long career.
    Brian Giles 35 21 249 Slowing down too soon.
    Vladimir Guerrero 30 24 243 Piling up HOF stats.
    Scott Rolen 31 21 235 Needs to stay healthy to have a shot.
    Tim Salmon 38 4 232 End of a good but not great career.
    Andruw Jones 29 22 232 Early start gives him a chance.
    Todd Helton 33 21 230 Decline phase started early.
    Shawn Green 34 11 225 Not a serious candidate.
    Ryan Klesko 35 1 223 Doesn’t seem to have much left.
    Ruben Sierra 41 0 222 Did not sustain early promise.
    Johnny Damon 33 21 216 Won’t generate HOF credentials.
    Ray Durham 35 20 212 Nice comeback in 2006 but way short.
    Edgardo Alfonzo 33 0 211 Career cratered early.
    Albert Pujols 26 37 210 On pace for 525 WS in 15 year career.
    Miguel Tejada 30 23 210 Has time to put up the numbers.
    Reggie Sanders 39 5 206 Many stops but not Cooperstown.
    Nomar Garciaparra 33 17 203 Too much time lost to injuries.
    Jason Kendall 32 23 202 Durable but not productive enough.

Pitchers
    Pedro Martinez 35 6 249 Dominance will get him in.
    Mike Mussina 38 14 248 Still has work to do.
    Curt Schilling 40 15 242 Post-season success will help his case.
    David Wells 43 4 207 Way short.

Bill Gilbert is a baseball analyst and writer and member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Story URL: http://mariners.Scout.com/a.z?s=318&p=2&c=615429

Copyright © 2007 Scout.com and TheSTLCardinals.com

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Omar's in. His 11 Gold Gloves at a KEY defensive position will be all he needs, along with the fact that he's not a wasted at bat.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • In an era of unprecedented offense Omar struggled to even maintain league averages...career .274 BA, league BA .270....career OBP .340, league OBP .340.... .357 SLG, league .426. OPS, .697, league OPS .766.

He was an average hitter, who hit well below replacement player value for power and was great defensively. Other than Ozzie Smith, can anyone name a single player inducted for their defensive prowess?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than Ozzie Smith, can anyone name a single player inducted for their defensive prowess?

Bill Mazeroski.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    so what do you guys think 2 years later?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed watching Omar over the years but I don't think he gets in the HOF. Plus I don't think you can truly compare the #'s to Luis Aparicio as they both played in totally different era's. Yes they could have been similar in defense, but Omar's era in offense was totally different.

+1 for a mighty fine career to Omar V.

brian
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    What about Bert Campaneris? No way the A's win three WS titles without Campy!
  • Before we decide HOF, lets look at who was better. I mentioned Dave Concepcion earlier, and it was scoffed at from a poster because his 'eyes' said otherwise. I think his eyes need a new pair of glasses.

Omar Vizquel was a LESSER player than Dave Concepcion.

The most comprehensive offensive measurement is situational batter runs. It accounts for all those little things people talk about, only their proper value is given, but more importantly it accounts for all the bigger things in correct proportion. It also accounts for ease of offense. Situational Batter Runs are taken from the actual MLB play by play data for every player from 1958 to now.

SItuational Batter RUns
    Vizquel -175
    Concepcion -63

Davey has him by over 100 situational batter runs. The negative figure is simply an expression of below league average.

FIelding. Baseball Prospectus fielding runs.

Vizquel 84
    Concepcion 149

So what he have is Concepcion in a lead of 177 runs in fielding/batting. RonBurgundy, I saw both play too, and my eyes did not see what you saw. I saw what is more in line with the objective results...Concepcion being 177 runs better in combination of offense/defense.

Fielding runs are always going to be more margin for error. No margin for error can make up the 177 run difference that is expressed between the two.

Vizquel's flashiness fools people some, but when dissected by video(every play is looked at), it shows that the flashiness does not equate to similar proportion of runs saved.

He was an excellent fielder, and a very good player. He simpy was not as good as Dave Concepcion. He was not nearly as good as Alan Trammel.

Yes, somebody's glasses may have seen Vizquel being superior...but I think those were Rose colored glasses.

HOF? No. Not in merit, and will not in the vote either.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we really need another birthday guy on this forum?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.