Home Sports Talk
Options

Alex Rodriguez

BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
I still think he's got the best shot at breaking 755, but that's been discussed in other threads.

I wanna know where the guys are who posted Arod only hits homeruns when his team is ahead buy a half dozen runs?? That he can't be clutch??

I think today is the third time in the last seven days he's homered with the game tied. Pretty impressive.

Maybe it'll take a clutch playoff performance to win people over, but let's not pretend he can only hit homeruns with his team ahead. That's ridiculous.

shawn

Comments

• Options
    I'm a lifelong Yankees fan; my father used to go to Yankees stadium and see guys like Mantle and Dimaggio play when he was kid so basically my whole family are Yanks fans. That being said Arod is overcritized, because of his paycheck and also imo because his position was switched instead of Jeters. Now, I say that because all non Yank fans know that it should've been the other way around, and in turn he recieves even more scrutiny. He's one of the best ballplayers I've ever had the chance to see in my short lifetime, a definete HOF'er. But with the Yankees all that matters are the W's. Wins and World Series. Stats don't mean anything unless you make them meaningful.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I will be the first to step up to the plate and admit I was one of the guys complaining about him only hitting home runs when he has a big lead. He has definately come through lately and proven me wrong. Maybe George publically calling him out set off a fire in him, because this is definately something we havnt seen in NY until recently. Either way I hope he keeps it up and proves me even more wrong.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really shouldn't meddle in Yankee bussiness as I really hope for them to be in the cellar every year but I do have respect for the franchise so I will comment. I think Steinbrenner calling him out was a positive thing actually. Why shouldn't he call him out? He is paying him as the best player in the game and arguably he is (after Pujols) Three run shots in a 10-0 game dont meen much but at the end of the year the #'s dont lie and add up. I have stated Arod is not a "clutch" hitter but I would let him wear a Red Sox uniform anytime.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be the first to step up to the plate and admit I was one of the guys complaining about him only hitting home runs when he has a big lead. He has definately come through lately and proven me wrong. Maybe George publically calling him out set off a fire in him, because this is definately something we havnt seen in NY until recently. Either way I hope he keeps it up and proves me even more wrong. >>

I'm a Reds fan, couldn't care less about the Yankees, but for some reason feel obliged to come to Arod's defense because I'm impressed by what he does on the field.

Admitting you're wrong (at least this week), takes balls.

Thanks for the honesty.

shawn
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    AROD would lead my team anytime.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    George calling Arod out had nothing to do with anything.

George has a history of calling out his players, and a player of Arod's caliber doesn't need an owner ripping him in the press to get his job done.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>George calling Arod out had nothing to do with anything.

George has a history of calling out his players, and a player of Arod's caliber doesn't need an owner ripping him in the press to get his job done. >>

Hey man, thats life. Whether you make $25 million per for tha Yankees, or $ 5.25 an hr at McDonalds if you arent getting your job done as expected your boss has a right to say whatever he/she wants. After all, whose writing the checks ? Arod isnt above that, and I think he would be the first one to tell you exactly the same thing.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Where is George complaing about Damon's performance? Why isn't George ripping little unit for simply sucking this year?

Those guys are making 13+ million per year, but they are above criticism?
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    George is a big fat pig. I will forever be happy knowing he was alive when his team blew a 3-0 lead to the redsox.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    When you make the most money, you get the most criticism, that's simply the way it is. How you handle the criticism tells the story about you as a person, your character and your toughness. Even though I am a huge Red Sox fan, I can't help but have more respect for Jeter, he has held more than his own. One comment doesn't always deserve another.....................when he was called out by George, he chose not to say anything and go out and do his job (and do it very well). Until ARod leads his team to a championship, he will ALWAYS get criticized. He left the Mariners, the team got better (115 wins), he left the Rangers the team got better the very next season, I just hope he stays with the yankees, because he has proven when he leaves an organization, the team gets better.

Of course if someone were to offer anyone of us a $252,000,000 contract, there would only be one question............................Where do I sign?
  • Options
    Happy birthday Alex!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Alex!