Home Sports Talk
Options

Poll: Direction of Nebraska football?

CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
The Husker's made BIG changes to "stay competitive" but after losing 70-10 to Texas Tech ( the worst loss in school history) will the changes help or bury the program?
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I think their problems are self-inflicted just like ND's. The folks who run ND decided they had had enough of allowing marginal recruits into the school and tightened the administration standards. Your problem is differenct but still self-inflicted, for many years you played hardly anyone on your schedule except Oklahoma who had a national presence or had much of a chance to beat a top flight program. Why would a top notch athlete want to go to a school that is not getting national exposure. During those years the Big Eight was a cupcake conference with the exception of OK and NEB. In today's media world Nebraska is buried.
  • Options
    I've been a huge Cornhusker fan for 25 years now.

Changing the offense to the west coast system
    is like commiting adultery.

Our fans have been married to Tom Osbourne style
    football for the past 40 years. We now have a new
    bride and it ain't pretty to us traditionalist.

Steve Pederson is going to have a lot of questions
    to answer. He will be the only person responsible
    for Callahans tenure as coach. We'll see what happens
    with this new bride. So far she looks pretty ugly.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve Pederson is going to have a lot of questions
    to answer. >>

I wondered what our native son, Steve Pederson, thought of his great hire last night as well. He forgot, or maybe never understood, that there were alot more traditions to Nebraska football than just winning. Now, we don't even have that it looks like for a while either. He's the only one I don't feel sorry for. Callahan inherited players he didn't recruit. They players are in a system they don't know. The fans are experiencing "culture shock". But Steve Pederson asked for it and now he's got it.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather
    have losing with the tradition kept in place
    then winning with the west coast offense
    under a coach who didn't go to Nebraska.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather
    have losing with the tradition kept in place
    then winning with the west coast offense
    under a coach who didn't go to Nebraska. >>

I know the feeling.image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    Happy 75th birthday Tom Osborne!
  • Options

<< <i>I think their problems are self-inflicted just like ND's. The folks who run ND decided they had had enough of allowing marginal recruits into the school and tightened the administration standards. Your problem is differenct but still self-inflicted, for many years you played hardly anyone on your schedule except Oklahoma who had a national presence or had much of a chance to beat a top flight program. Why would a top notch athlete want to go to a school that is not getting national exposure. During those years the Big Eight was a cupcake conference with the exception of OK and NEB. In today's media world Nebraska is buried. >>

Kansas State has had some pretty good teams over the years.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a new environment for Nebraska- it will be interesting to see to watch

I did not participate in the poll- I think everyone is critical of the Big Ten. I remember hearing how Penn State was going to run over everyone- well they have won or shared as many Big Ten championships as Northestern in the time they have been part of the conference.

It is not going to be easy for Nebraska

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Happy Birthday Tom!