Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My Luis Tiant Master Set

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, after 5 years, =/-, I'm nearing completion of this set. I need just 6 cards to finish, but have 4 of them raw, so just looking for 2.

Like most sets, especially Master sets, many cards came easy, some not so easy, and some I never thought I'd get, but did. Luck followed me along, some self-subs came back with nice results of yellow backgrounds a couple of times in the Registry, others in gray.

The set has 101 cards, and I just finished uploading 95...the Discs were double duty, so I think the uploads pushed it perhaps into the 120 range or so. The flip side is almost always the same, and of course it gives the info, but the back side is the side to see, so I uploaded all of them.

Tiant came to the Red Sox from the Twins (like Ortiz) in the early 70s. He quickly became a fan favorite and many will recall the chants of "Louee, Louee" echoing through Fenway Park. He was the Pedro Martinez of the team then. His high leg kick before delivery was his trade mark and he confused a lot of hitters. Magical times in Fenway then.

His dad was quite a ballplayer in Cuba in the 40s, and at one point Castro allowed him to leave the island. He never returned and died in Milton, MA. Unquestionably the biggest thrill for Luis was when his dad was allowed to toss a pitch from the mound in Fenway Park.

I hope you take a peek at my set...it's under Teddy Ballgame...enjoy!!

Al

Comments

• Options
    It's a great set of a great player and human being. I think beyond those 6 you'll find even more cards you can add to it. Good luck!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic set of a very worthy subject.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I got his auto on a 75 mini this year at fanfest. He was one of the more friendly players. He was wearing his red soxs ring. Big rock.
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Great set of a tremendous player and personality!

I shared this pic and story in another thread recently, but hope you don't mind if I post again here. I attended Red Sox Fantasy Camp last year - an absolutely fantastic experience for any fan! Campers and former players are treated exactly the same, and you spend the entire week with the pros for all games, meals, nighttime activities, etc.

One night I went with a few other campers to dinner with Luis, Frank Malzone and Butch Hobson. Awesome stories shared by all throughout the night - it was things like this which made me sign up to return next January as well!

So, kudos on a great Tiant collection!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow !! What a great pic and experience you must have had with those three. Thanks so much for posting.

I'd be willing to bet that Red Sox Nation would vote Luis as one of their top 5 players/personalities ever to play in Fenway...always a fan favorite in Fenway with "Louee, Louee".

Back when, I remember seeing Malzone play as well. He was a real sparkplug at 3rd base from the mid 50s to mid 60s b4 going to the Angels. First in MLB history to win a gold glove at 3rd base, and won 3 in a row. He was born in Bronx, NY, but he gets a very special pass. image

Tks again!

Al
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

FanFest this year in Cincinnati. He is signing his 1975 mini, he got a chuckle out of it.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your Tiant set!

A great ballplayer and personality.

In reviewing his stats, he compiled 229 wins and a 3.30 ERA with 2 ERA crowns.

A three time all-star, he accumulated 30.9% HOF "yes" ballots in 1988, his first year of eligibility.

In 1970 he batted .406 for the Twins in nearly 40 plate appearances.

He seems like the type of player that could easily have been in the HOF. Let's say he switches career positions with Don Sutton or Jim Palmer in playing for consistently good teams; his HOF chances goes up quite a bit...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik