Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA sets with 10.0+ GPA

Can anybody provide any insight as to why there are sets on the Registry with a 10.0+ GPA?

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonus points for PSA 10s

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anybody provide any insight as to why there are sets on the Registry with a 10.0+ GPA? >>

No logic to it. If your scale is from 1 - 10, it doesn't make sense for a set to have a GPA above 10. Getting the weights in line would have made more sense. On master sets completion % should carry more weight than one person having some "10's" and the next person having some "9's". If you want to add bonus points on set rating, that's fine, but inflating GPA makes me scratch my head.

For example; I was looking at some of the weighting on the 1960's Bazooka cards and noticed that when the population numbers were similar some of the weights were significantly different. I have also always been confused by the weights given to the OPC and Venezuelan issues. Giving bonus points for "10's" seems to punish collectors who focus on condition sensitive issues. As it has been said many times on the boards, there doesn't seem to be that much difference between many 9's and 10's.

If the weighting on these cards are "wrong" it's going to make the set rating wrong. In my way of thinking, weights should be determined more by statistics than opinion, that way a truly "rare" card that was a "7" would be rated higher than a "10" in a card that was not as hard to find in a 10.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad PSA listened to the voice of the customer and added back in a true GPA column.
  • augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    Just got the e-mail as well. AMEN!!!
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange that we have to wait months for this change to take effect. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement.