Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Cert stealers

I'm pretty sure one of the Larkin registry members is stealing cert #s from eBay to 'build' their registry set. Three cards from a recent 4SC order were already in another members inventory, and several others in the past have been. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities, one of which whose set magically updates after removal requests are processed. Other than sending removal requests and scans, can anything be done?

Comments

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had similar issues with some Steeler items. I really don't know how they can stop somebody from taking them from Ebay...image
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • I'd just keep sending PSA the scans - annoying for sure. I can't imagine what fun someone would get from adding cards to the registry that weren't theirs. I don't get it. Deranged behavior.
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    This happens a lot. After multiple times on the same sets, the set registry folks told me they would take care of the problem member. I didn't see their sets deleted, but I bet they were given a stern warning.

------
    stupid print dots

• Total bullcrap and I'm pissed on your behalf!!
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    A heads up to the set registry staff is probably in order.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and I'll add a note next time I send the scans making them aware of the history and suspicions.
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    The catfish hunter guy stole my certsoff off eBay
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Registry staff mentioned they don't know who has registered the items, only that they are registered by another user
  • csakerscsakers Posts: 239
    Registry staff members are able to get in touch with other users who "own" cards registered within their collections. I have gone through this in the past. I am always upset, especially when purchased from the 4 Sharp Corners site and they come up as already in another user's inventory. Then, I have to go through the trouble of scanning and contacting the registry staff to have them removed. These types of activities should be tracked and if users are regular offenders, then they should be removed from the registry. This is just my opinion and will most-likely never occur. However, I did want you to know that the Registry staff do have access to the user's identity in these cases.
    I only need 18 cards to complete the Don Mattingly Master collection. Help would be great!
  • RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I absolutely hate this. When I was building my MJ Basic set there was a guy rapidly growing his set at the same time. It got real interesting when he had the same PSA 10 1987 Fleer as I did. Not only was he using cert numbers from eBay, but also the scanned images. It was blatantly obvious. I still do not understand what pleasure one gets for building an imaginary set.
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    That makes no since to do that? But it has happened to me a few times. I just scan to psa and say it is in my hands.
    I believe they do this in order to move up the rankings without actually having to own the cards. I agree that I do not understand the pleasure one feels from owning a pretend set, but some people appear to be only concerned with their rankings (and what it appears they own). I simply find it to be a huge hassle to prove I actually own the card someone else has "stolen" to add to their set.
    I only need 18 cards to complete the Don Mattingly Master collection. Help would be great!

<< <i>Registry staff mentioned they don't know who has registered the items, only that they are registered by another user >>

This doesn't make any sense. How can they send the email notice without knowing who has a specific cert registered?

<< <i>These types of activities should be tracked and if users are regular offenders, then they should be removed from the registry. >>

I'd rather have them have to send a front/back scan of every card before they can add it to their registry set, so they understand what a hassle it is image

Scans were sent off today with a note and offer to identify the offender if they can't. Only two other registry participants (possibly a third whose set is not viewable) had all 3 of these cards in their set, so I took screenshots to see which one has them disappear.
  • I like your idea of having chronic offenders being required to send scans of the front and back of each card before being permitted to add to their registry set(s). Then, they might understand the hassle of doing this when you actually own the card and are trying to add to your set when someone has stolen the certification number for their own set. Please let us know what PSA says about your idea (if anything).
    Completely ignored my note:
    Thank you for using the automated removal request and following up with the appropriate scans. PSA certification #xxxx, yyyy & zzzz have been released and you should now be able to add these items to your inventory. Please let me know if you need further assistance
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the annoyance.

Send more emails to see if they give you a human response.
    In the past, I have found writing directly to BJ, Cosetta, or Gayle to be the most effective. You may want to forward your message, concern, and wonderful suggestion to one (or all three) of them directly.

<< <i>In the past, I have found writing directly to BJ, Cosetta, or Gayle to be the most effective. You may want to forward your message, concern, and wonderful suggestion to one (or all three) of them directly. >>

Do you have contact info for them? If so, please PM me the details.

ETA: Forgot to mention, I confirmed who the offender was. Their set had all three cards removed at the same time I received the notice.
  • I just sent a message with all three contact listings.

Good luck.
  • When people scan the PSA cards to EBAY, why not just place a paper over the cert number. It is not important for the sale. This will eliminate the stealing of number by certain members and the hassle later
    to have it released.

Just a thought.

Gary
  • The only reason to steal the numbers (IMO) would be to get a set to 90% so the thief could get the free submissions.
  • I think some people do it to move up in the rankings, as well. I feel much better knowing it is my actual set, regardless of the ranking.

You might be onto something regarding the free submissions. I do not submit cards, so I had not thought of that angle.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When people scan the PSA cards to EBAY, why not just place a paper over the cert number. It is not important for the sale. This will eliminate the stealing of number by certain members and the hassle later
    to have it released.

Just a thought.

Gary >>

It is much easier to just click the "Add to my inventory" checkbox on the "My Orders" page under the "My Set Registry" page of the PSA website when an order is graded so all of the certs are added to your inventory in one shot, and then release each cert by deleting from your inventory only when sold, than it is to take the time to cover the cert in your scan before posting to ebay.

Priscilla caught the note this time with my latest removal requests, and here's the response:

Set Registry is self-policing and unless a repeat offender is brought to our attention there is no way for us to know about it. This is the first time we’ve been notified of a possible issue with this particular member, so at this time we will contact the other member and remind him of the rules. If more issues arise with the same member, we will address it further. That being said, please let us know if you encounter the same problem in the future.

I included the offenders set names that contained the cards so they could do a before/after check with the removal request. Not sure why it said it was the first time they'd been notified, since I did it as a reply to my prior notification, but glad to see it's being addressed even if I have to do the detective work.

I am very glad to know PSA is willing to do something about this issue, as it is a growing concern.

Thanks for pushing the issue.