Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

mickey mantle super set

I asked psa to start this set back in march. It is up as of today. Let the games began. image

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Glad to see it finally got established. Great start on what looks to be a very long journey; good luck. If you get the time, would love to see some of the oddball Mantles you have. image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    What are the major differences between the Master and Super set ? A quick look at set compositions looks like the Super set has unissued test set stuff in it, like the 61 Dice and 67 Stand Ups. On the other hand, it does not seem to list recognized variations, like the two version of his 52 Topps card, or the two variations of his 67 Punch Out cards, or the two versions of his 67 Stand Up. And while the unissued 61 Dice is listed, it does not seem to include the unissued 66 Punch Out. How does such a "master" list get determined ? I assume it can change over time ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The master set includes 223 cards made from Mantle's playing years of 1951 to 1969. The super set currently at 2619 cards adds everything made after 1970 including all the modern commemorative issues and boxed sets. So for about 2000 of those it will represent about $100 worth of cards in $10,000 worth of plastic. I'm assuming the 1978 Sports Deck cards and other boxed set cards will be heavily weighted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the major differences between the Master and Super set ? A quick look at set compositions looks like the Super set has unissued test set stuff in it, like the 61 Dice and 67 Stand Ups. On the other hand, it does not seem to list recognized variations, like the two version of his 52 Topps card, or the two variations of his 67 Punch Out cards, or the two versions of his 67 Stand Up. And while the unissued 61 Dice is listed, it does not seem to include the unissued 66 Punch Out. How does such a "master" list get determined ? I assume it can change over time ? >>

67 Stand ups and Punch outs will/should become part of the Master set when someone requests them. Never heard of the 1961 Dice Game. Is there a Killebrew?

I always thought PSA should just go ahead and add all the players in the sets automatically when the first player gets "approved". Would make things much simpler for collectors. If the "cards" are deemed worthy of inclusion, it shouldn't matter if they have been graded.

Major difference is the Master set ends the year after the player retires, the super set includes all the cards in master set along with everything after as well.

Edited to add; No Killebrew good news for me!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Glad to see it finally got established. Great start on what looks to be a very long journey; good luck. If you get the time, would love to see some of the oddball Mantles you have. image >>

I am scanning as we go so they will get loaded soon.
  • Options

<< <i>The master set includes 223 cards made from Mantle's playing years of 1951 to 1969. The super set currently at 2619 cards adds everything made after 1970 including all the modern commemorative issues and boxed sets. So for about 2000 of those it will represent about $100 worth of cards in $10,000 worth of plastic. I'm assuming the 1978 Sports Deck cards and other boxed set cards will be heavily weighted. >>

As with many cards not based on money value now. It is clear that many sets and cards people own don't have just money value to them. I agree some of the cards I will spend more on than they will be ever be worth. But if I enjoy them that is priceless to me.
  • Options

<< <i>Glad to see it finally got established. Great start on what looks to be a very long journey; good luck. If you get the time, would love to see some of the oddball Mantles you have. image >>

If you go to the set registry. I have my set open to view cards
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on having the all time number 1 set. image
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations on having the all time number 1 set. image >>

Thank you. I hope others join in for the journey.

Bob Gibson came to Cedar Rapids iowa when I was about 10. I still have his baseball and picture he signed. This was about 1975
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    In all brutal honesty, I find the gent's crack about the value of post-career Mickey Mantles amounting to $100 very annoying, arrogant, hoi poloi, and downright obnoxious. The words of an udder arse. The hundred dollar figure was in all likelihood sarcasm---I hope so. One of those cards is on eBay right now that I want badly, graded PSA 9, and it's $150.

His point is very well taken that the sheer cost of grading these is obscene, and extremely hard to justify. Perhaps impossible.

At the same time, it's kinda hard to enjoy a one or two-card playing era Mantle collection when for the same money you could take your pick of 100+ of the finest post-career cards made of our beloved Mickey Mantle. High quality reprints, such as the 1987 Card Collectors Company 1960 Home Run Derby, something beautiful and very rare, or how about a 1959 Bazooka tastefully re-done as a standard-size card, included as a "free-be" with the 1996 Bazooka boxed set? Big League Chew. Renata Galasso's 1961 Yankees. Perez-Steele. Pacific Legends. A Topps Opening Day gem from about 2008, with a gorgeous throwback 1952 design. There was a 25-card box set put out in 1992 by SCORE's PINNACLE brand that was saturated with beautiful colorized photos. All those 1996-97 Topps reprints commemorating the cards they rendered of Mick, and then when they got the license to do Mantle cards, some of them were flat out outstanding. For guys such as I who must struggle to pay the bills each month, getting a playing days high grade Mickey Mantle is hopeless, but I can sure have a whale of a Mick fix with those post-career cards, and still be very choosy! The cards Topps did of Mantle for the National convention, Bob Lemke's fantasy 1953 Red Man Chewing Tobacco card, and so on.

One hundred dollars my foot!

But, at the end of the day, for the 10 grand it would cost me to have them all graded, I could get a couple graded MINT playing era Mantles.

Oh, I'm probably choking on sour grapes!

Wishing you the very best, ashabby.

On the outside looking in for me, either way, I guess. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options

<< <i>In all brutal honesty, I find the gent's crack about the value of post-career Mickey Mantles amounting to $100 very annoying, arrogant, hoi poloi, and downright obnoxious. The words of an udder arse. The hundred dollar figure was in all likelihood sarcasm---I hope so. One of those cards is on eBay right now that I want badly, graded PSA 9, and it's $150.

His point is very well taken that the sheer cost of grading these is obscene, and extremely hard to justify. Perhaps impossible.

At the same time, it's kinda hard to enjoy a one or two-card playing era Mantle collection when for the same money you could take your pick of 100+ of the finest post-career cards made of our beloved Mickey Mantle. High quality reprints, such as the 1987 Card Collectors Company 1960 Home Run Derby, something beautiful and very rare, or how about a 1959 Bazooka tastefully re-done as a standard-size card, included as a "free-be" with the 1996 Bazooka boxed set? Big League Chew. Renata Galasso's 1961 Yankees. Perez-Steele. Pacific Legends. A Topps Opening Day gem from about 2008, with a gorgeous throwback 1952 design. There was a 25-card box set put out in 1992 by SCORE's PINNACLE brand that was saturated with beautiful colorized photos. All those 1996-97 Topps reprints commemorating the cards they rendered of Mick, and then when they got the license to do Mantle cards, some of them were flat out outstanding. For guys such as I who must struggle to pay the bills each month, getting a playing days high grade Mickey Mantle is hopeless, but I can sure have a whale of a Mick fix with those post-career cards, and still be very choosy! The cards Topps did of Mantle for the National convention, Bob Lemke's fantasy 1953 Red Man Chewing Tobacco card, and so on.

One hundred dollars my foot!

But, at the end of the day, for the 10 grand it would cost me to have them all graded, I could get a couple graded MINT playing era Mantles.

Oh, I'm probably choking on sour grapes!

Wishing you the very best, ashabby.

On the outside looking in for me, either way, I guess. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell) >>

The plan was to enjoy all the cards made. When i look at the cost of some of those early cards it is hard for me to enjoy one card as much as I could many cards. I just wanted to start the journey. Not sure I will every get it done. But I am going to give it a shot.
  • Options

<< <i>In all brutal honesty, I find the gent's crack about the value of post-career Mickey Mantles amounting to $100 very annoying, arrogant, hoi poloi, and downright obnoxious. The words of an udder arse. The hundred dollar figure was in all likelihood sarcasm---I hope so. One of those cards is on eBay right now that I want badly, graded PSA 9, and it's $150. >>

PLEASE read his post more carefully before calling him names (if you were just trying to be funny.....never mind). He said 2000 out of the 2619 cards would have little value compared to the cost of grading and I agree. I was at one time picking up every Killebrew card until the card companies went nuts. Even so, I have hundreds of $1.00-5.00 cards I could get graded and have a Killebrew "super" set. Unfortunately I am not independently wealthy, so I won't be going in that direction.

Have fun collecting!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't imagine going after that many Mantles. Wow. Labor of love. I figure on spending the next decade completing, hopefully, the guy in my sig line. A much easier task, I hope...image
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    JoeBanzai, I indeed read his post carefully. Moreover, I was not trying to be funny. I was angry because I sensed that he was deeming the post-career Mickey Mantle cards as worthless, and perhaps that the collectors who could only afford them were crumb bums. I did not appreciate that one bit. Yes, I am sensitive about that. Perhaps he was not saying that at all. In my original response I did try to balance my thoughts with the acknowledgement that the sheer cost of grading those 2,000+ cards would be extremely costly. I think we'd all agree that, just as there are many prime cards of Mickey made during his playng career as well as some mediocre ones, the same holds true for Mick's post career cards. Trouble is, once Topps garnered the rights to print Mickey Mantle cards, they went nutzo with them. Moreover, numerous other parties made Mantle kitsch cards, such as the deck of playing cards with his image on them. What an insult. The same was done with Rocket Richard. Pure kitsch. The super registry however must includes the likes of them, whereby registrants must eat not only the cost of the cards but the expensive grading. I cannot afford that effort.

I sincerely apologize for any offense I gave, KbKards; we are more than likely very much on the same page.

Guess it boils back down to collect what you love and can afford, grade it if you wish, and as Maurice Chevalier was saying in the wonderful Disney film, "In Search of the Castaways", "ENZHOY IT!"

I must, however, give whole-hearted agreement to the grading/encapsulation of the better post-career Mickey Mantle cards. No, I did not stockpile them; whenever I did such a thing as stockpile, it never turned out well. What I mean to say is, the enjoyment of a trading card is truly enhanced when it is graded by PSA, or one of the two other reputable authenticators, not only giving it official acknowledgement, but proper protection while at the same time providing exquisite framing. The added weight of the encapsulated card in your hand is significantly gratifying. The importance of the card is psychologically increased, though here we go again---putting a poorly-designed Mickey Mantle card in a PSA holder is the same as putting one of Cinderella's wicked stepsisters in a drop dead gorgeous Victoria's Secret "something more comfortable"---it's ain't gonna hide what it is and what it ain't got. Not no way. Not no how. It's ugly now, and as Sir Winston Churchill powerfully said, "MY DEAR, YOU ARE UGLY. BUT TOMORROW I SHALL BE SOBER AND YOU WILL STILL BE DISGUSTINGLY UGLY."

Well, time to get ready for work. I better stop now anyway, lest I be accused of bloviating. Hope ya'll have a swell weekend, and pick up or win at auction a long-desired card. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Brian-- I am still trying to fathom an arrogant hoi polloi. image.

I think both you and KB made good points about certain aspects of collecting cards in today 's market
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I got to thinking (always dangerous) don't you have to have the graded card in hand in order to add it to a set?

Is it different when a set is initially begun?

I notified PSA when I first started that there were many mainstream (OPC leader cards for the most part) cards missing from the Killebrew set that were already in the sets of the other players pictured. I had the cards raw at the time and thought they should be included. PSA informed me the cards would be added only if I had a graded example in my set.

I am assuming PSA must have simply started the "super" set with cards looked up in a price guide. No one has all these graded do they?
  • Options

I am assuming PSA must have simply started the "super" set with cards looked up in a price guide. No one has all these graded do they? >>

2549 or about 97 percent have a graded card in this set. That is listed in the what if section of set building.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I can assure you, all of these cards in this set have been graded by PSA!
    Great Set, have fun!

Logan