Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Recoloration and other disappointments

N3: EVIDENCE OF RECOLORATION 1963 Topps 141 Manny Mota
N8: MISCUT 1966 Topps 254 Phillies Rookies F.Jenkins/B.Sorrell

I've had these two cards since at least 1979 and I've never touched one with a marker...and who would have tried to mark up at Manny Mota card back then or now? I also had a not graded (no charge card)...think it's my 1996 Mickey Mantle with Last Day Production Cover on it. I had 11 Miscut cards and 5 undersized (most from 1977 78 and a few from 1980)...there is $102 pissed away. 8 10's out of 292 cards and they were all from the 1990's except a 86' Will Clark and a 82 Fingers...I am now dreading the rest of my bulk shipment vs looking forward to it. What I really don't like is that "EVIDENCE OF RECOLORATION", makes me feel like someone at PSA thinks I'm dishonest.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A mis-cut card should be seni-easy to tell, no??
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A mis-cut card should be seni-easy to tell, no?? >>

You would think so. I sent in some cards for grading a while back and got several back claiming they were mis-cut. Resubmitted them and they ALL graded with only one receiving an OC qualifier.

I have asked the question on the boards before how this could happen and haven't really gotten any answers.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

• << <i>A mis-cut card should be seni-easy to tell, no?? >>

I would have thought so as well, that is why it surprised me. Perhaps since most were star cards or HoFers (See below), I overlooked something because the card had sharp corners...I threw out a ton of obvious miscuts from teh 1980 vending box I broke and the 77's came from a raw set I bought. I know for a fact the Ryan was a bit off center but I thought it pull a 9 for sure. As for the Jenkins, that was a solid 6 in my opinion. The Jackson all star baffles me as well since I submitted 7 other 70 All-Stars and they all looked good to me.

N8: MISCUT 1966 Topps 254 Phillies Rookies F.Jenkins/B.Sorrell
    N8: MISCUT 1970 Topps 459 Reggie Jackson
    N8: MISCUT 1971 Topps 35 Lou Piniella
    N8: MISCUT 1980 Topps 580 Nolan Ryan
    N8: MISCUT 1980 Topps 667 Royals Future Stars Martin/Paschall/Quisenberry
    N8: MISCUT 1978 Topps 247 Larry Christenson
    N8: MISCUT 1977 Topps 494 Rookie Infielders
    N8: MISCUT 1977 Topps 150 Tom Seaver
    N8: MISCUT 1977 Topps 523 Rollie Fingers
    N8: MISCUT 1977 Topps 355 Lou Brock
    N8: MISCUT 1980 Topps 479 Expos Team Mgr. Dick Williams
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about posting a few scans? Especially the Ryan.

The only way a card can be miscut if it has borders on all sides is if it isn't rectangular and won't fit into a holder. If your cards fit in a PSA holder there is no reason I know of to reject them as miscut.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • I haven't got them back yet...they are part of a bulk order of 900 cards. When I do get them I will.
  • They broke the 900 cards up into 300 each and this was the only batch completed thus far.
  • Next time ask for no qualifiers in your sub - they will return any MC's ungraded and won't charge you. Make sure you look at backs and fronts for miscuts, sometimes they are difficult to determine. Also, an MC with one grader may not be an MC with another - we collectors and love that subjectivity!
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Next time ask for no qualifiers in your sub - they will return any MC's ungraded and won't charge you. >>

Um.....that's not my understanding. I submitted a batch of 300 1956 Topps cards requesting no qualifiers, and while there were no OC's, there were three MC's and one MK. I was charged for every card they looked at.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    You can always send then to me Bob. I won't charge you anything to look at them ....or even grade and encase them in a clear baggie
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

• << <i>Next time ask for no qualifiers in your sub - they will return any MC's ungraded and won't charge you. Make sure you look at backs and fronts for miscuts, sometimes they are difficult to determine. Also, an MC with one grader may not be an MC with another - we collectors and love that subjectivity! >>

I'll give it a shot...I know Beckett does this :-0
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    you aren't charged for those miscuts and they are not MC qualifiers. basically the card is not a rectangle, has a wavy edge from the factor , or has a dog ear and they can't put it in the holder without potentially damagingthe card. You are not out 102 bucks and you will get back the cards in a cardsaver with a sticker saying "miscut" asking for no qualifiers would not have any impact on if they can holder the card or not
  • Fairly sure they charged me...but I will post one way or the other as soon as the charges run threw. If they didn't I have nothing to complain about...I do know for a fact they charged me $75 for my 79 Gretzky they didn't holder saying it was altered (By altered it was taken out of a screw down and lost color not cut or miscut so that is most likely chargable). The rest of my bulk submission popped and I am very happy with the rest of the cards and grades...but it was mostly new stuff. I did get a few low pop 78 Football PSA 10's and few 76 Baseball that I am very happy with. I am back to being glass half full Joe now!