Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Hand - Cut Cards From Sheets Being Graded ????

When did PSA start grading hand-cut cards from sheets and allowing them
in the Psa Registry ???? Any thoughts on this being allowed ! Will two card .......three card .....
four card sheet panels soon follow right behind this ?????
Robbie
Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
1963 Fleer
Lou Brock Master Set

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hand cut cards have been graded as long as they were not issued in single form and if they were different from the singles.

Since you haven't said what issue you are referring to, it's hard to give a good response.

While PSA is the CLEAR choice in having my cards graded, I have had more than one debate with them on their decisions on what cards they grade and do not grade.

What card are you talking about?

Edited to add: I saw your post on the other thread. If the 1977 Topps Team Checklist card #183 Cardinals Team regular card is different from the sheet cut card PSA would/could see it as a different card as long the hand cut card was only available in sheets.

When I started collecting Bazooka issues, I assumed you only needed one form of the card to fill the slot. For most years you now need three; single, three card panel and complete box. The complete boxes should be treated the same as the three card panels in my opinion because the only difference is the "scrap" around the panels (very expensive scrap).

The end result is that people are being "forced" to chop up complete boxes in order to fill all the slots in their registries. That would seem to be the wrong way of going about things to me. Isn't a full box also a three card panel?

The 1969 and 1970 Transogram boxes are another example of people cutting up complete boxes not only for the actual card and three card panel, but the tiny photo of the player on the side of the box.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Forgot to answer your other question.

In the case of "two card .......three card .....four card sheet panels", PSA has addressed the question. In those cases only one of these will be added to the Master set, so a two card "panel" would fill the slot or a four card "panel" etc would also fill the same slot, there would not be a separate slot for each.

I believe this is in regards to sheets with multiple players like the 1969 and 1970 MLB Photostamps, the 1971 Topps Tattoos as well as the Bazooka and Topps Stamps from 1964, 1969 and 1974. If the complete sheet/panel is small enough to grade it gets graded along with the single, any other items with two or more players is considered a single.

There are of course exceptions to the rule. 1968 Bazooka would be one of those exceptions.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    Joe ...............Thanks for your response ! I have no idea if the sheet cut card is different then the regular issue
    !!!!! Guess I will have to e-mail someone at Psa to point out the difference between the two cards in question to
    me ! Or , if anyone on the message boards is submitting these , I would love to hear what makes these sheet
    cut cards different then the regular issue !
    Robbie
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
    And just to clarify .................I'm talking about 1977 Topps Baseball sheet cut cards being graded !
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Post scans or auction links to show what you are talking about.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Robby -- could you be talking about the team checklist cards, which were printed on different stock than regular issue Topps cards?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Bob , Sorry I am not good at providing links or posting pictures ! I really need
    to learn how ! Anyway ...............the auction number is 291224206008
    for a 1977 Topps Red Sox Team CheckList Hand-Cut #309 Psa 10..........................there's also
    a 1977 Yankee Team Hand -Cut Psa 10 listed at insane prices !
    Robbie
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

<< <i>Robby -- could you be talking about the team checklist cards, which were printed on different stock than regular issue Topps cards? >>

Mike .................Would the card stock make them unique to be considered different for grading purposes ? These sound like
    cards being cut from a sheet and labeled as Hand-Cut ???
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
    Definitely a different item than regular 1977 Topps team cards. These were a send-away item, only available as complete sheets. As Marc said, the card stock is different enough that PSA can readily identify where they came from. Of course they aren't worth these prices, since you can get the entire sheet for $95 currently on eBay.

1977 Topps Mail In Team Pictures/Checklists Premium Set 27 RARE thin white stock
    OK .................That's good enough for me to consider them as a legitimate
    card to be graded ! Thanks Bob ...........you guys are a wealth of information!
    That's why I come here to read these message boards to learn about things
    like this ! Never knew they existed !
    Robbie
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    If not already mentioned, PSA grades 1983 Topps League Leader cards that are hand cut. I believe the were only available in sheet form.

<< <i>If not already mentioned, PSA grades 1983 Topps League Leader cards that are hand cut. I believe the were only available in sheet form. >>

Correct. PSA grades Topps team checklist sheet hand-cut cards from 1975 through 1982 and the team leader sheet from 1983. All quite common (especially 1983).

<< <i>

<< <i>If not already mentioned, PSA grades 1983 Topps League Leader cards that are hand cut. I believe the were only available in sheet form. >>

Correct. PSA grades Topps team checklist sheet hand-cut cards from 1975 through 1982 and the team leader sheet from 1983. All quite common (especially 1983). >>

Bob ............................So 1975 to 1982 ...............are you talking the same format as the 1977 Topps Team Checklist cards you gave me a link to ???????
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Are these perforated?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Perforated cards are not supposed to get graded as hand cut and SHOULD be deemed "trimmed".

However, I have seen some of the MLB Photostamps incorrectly graded;

Obviously the 1970 is a perforated issue.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Correct. PSA grades Topps team checklist sheet hand-cut cards from 1975 through 1982 and the team leader sheet from 1983. All quite common (especially 1983). >>

Bob ............................So 1975 to 1982 ...............are you talking the same format as the 1977 Topps Team Checklist cards you gave me a link to ??????? >>

Yes, pretty much the same format. They are not formatted.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al