Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Number 1 1974 Topps baseball set retired

I noticed that Gary's #1 1974 Topps baseball set was retired, and wondered if anyone knows the status of the set. Is a breakup coming, or was it sold outright? The GPA was a sick 9.78.
Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.

Comments

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Just sold through Huggins & Scott . . .

1974 Set
  • Options
    $70K, Not too bad I suppose...I wonder if he have got more breaking it up. I love that Schmidt
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a set break.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, surprised he sold it off. He held that set for over a decade. Not sure how he did on it. A lot of extra stuff in the lot and he bought the 10s mostly 1-by-1 which is the most expensive way. Many were 1 of 1 at the time.
  • Options
    I think who ever bought it got a deal...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$70K, Not too bad I suppose...I wonder if he have got more breaking it up. I love that Schmidt >>

Interesting -- I passed on that Schmidt the first time it went for sale. Those two yellow dots drive me bonkers, and are on a good portion of the PSA 9's out there. I'm lucky enough to have a PSA 10 Schmidt, too, one without the dots.

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I think who ever bought it got a deal... >>

Agreed- for $70K the seller nearly stole this set. The Rose, Ryan, Winfield and Schmidt alone should bring in $23-27K I would think.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Seller might have benefited from the format often used nowadays of selling the entire set as one lot, but also selling the individual cards, then the higher wins.

Not sure how many postwar guys out there could come up with 70K+, so the bidding field is smaller. I know some people hate this format, but it likely would have resulted in more money for the seller. It is however a lot more work and expense for the auction house.

This was an awesome set, considering all the extra pieces as well.

Capecards
  • Options

<< <i>Seller might have benefited from the format often used nowadays of selling the entire set as one lot, but also selling the individual cards, then the higher wins.

Not sure how many postwar guys out there could come up with 70K+, so the bidding field is smaller. I know some people hate this format, but it likely would have resulted in more money for the seller. It is however a lot more work and expense for the auction house.

This was an awesome set, considering all the extra pieces as well. >>

I think that's been debated before with high doubts that it is more effective. Hard to prove one way or the other. The biggest knock against the 'higher total wins' format is that many potential buyers of individual cards are turned off by the possibility of bidding on dozens or even hundreds of cards only to have the rug pulled out from under them with a set bid that tops the individual bids and therefore they never bother bidding in the first place.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree, unclear which way would get better results.

I wish an economist somewhere would analyze the data and report, so we would have more to go on than anecdotal experiences - it would be useful to anyone selling a big expensive set.
    Capecards
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    I would think the way to maximize the sale price on that set would be to switch out the top 10-20 most expensive PSA 10s with PSA 9s and sell them seperately.
  • Options

<< <i>I would think the way to maximize the sale price on that set would be to switch out the top 10-20 most expensive PSA 10s with PSA 9s and sell them seperately. >>

That seems like a great idea actually...
  • Options
    Well -- it looks like 4SC bought the set, so will be interesting to see how it sells by singles-
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>Well -- it looks like 4SC bought the set, so will be interesting to see how it sells by singles- >>

Well, the top 50 PSA 10s are going for about 70k total. And then there are hundreds more cards coming. Looks like a nice profit if they all sell individually.

Capecards
  • Options
    Good move by 4SC... some of those prices are a bit steep, but I'm sure there will be a buyer for many of them. I just bought the Orlando Cepeda for $150. Seemed like a good deal for a pop 6 HOF'er. Did you see the price on the Bench? Yowza
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's
  • Options

<< <i>Good move by 4SC... some of those prices are a bit steep, but I'm sure there will be a buyer for many of them. I just bought the Orlando Cepeda for $150. Seemed like a good deal for a pop 6 HOF'er. Did you see the price on the Bench? Yowza >>

As soon as I saw the two dot PSA 10 Schmidt I knew this thread would be at the top of the message board. I to think this was a good buy...
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    I was glad to see the break. Allowed me to close on 9 cards to help finish my set in 9 or better. 5 Cards away from the master set in 9.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bench asking price is a little steep. Would love to upgrade but not at that price.
  • Options
    4SC will be able to sit on the cards and wait for someone to pay top dollar for them. I've seen some cards sit on their site for a few years before they move.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I picked up the Mint 9 Concepcion today from the set. The centering is awesome. It will be a nice addition to my Reds collection.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the Concepcion card as well and almost pulled the trigger but decided to wait. Not surprised that someone snatched it up.
  • Options

<< <i>4SC will be able to sit on the cards and wait for someone to pay top dollar for them. I've seen some cards sit on their site for a few years before they move. >>

True, but that is a lot of float and carrying costs. I think 4SC will do quite well, net net on this. But they'll hold the cards awhile, pay their Ebay/Paypal fees, and discount any unsold cards until they do sell.

The true test is going to be how much Roger gets for the top dozen or two dozen cards from the Set. For example, he has the Schmidt PSA 10 priced at $10k, but I'm not sure how robust that market is. It originally sold for $9,775 in 2008, but the buyer is out of the market, Spence isn't buying anymore (he owned a 1973 Schmidt PSA 10, and the pop. 1 1975 Schmidt PSA 10), I've got a PSA 10 (without the two annoying dots!), etc. Selling that card for $10k vs $5k can make a huge difference, and I'm not sure of the other Schmidt collectors I know who would pony up even a 18x multiple for a PSA 10, over PSA 9, for a 10 with the two dots.

Just one example, and I'm sure Roger will do well. Just my $0.02

m