Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Why hide the cards you own and not share?

The goal this summer was to get a scanner and share what I have. Slow going 100 in and 7100 to go but is fun and have been going back and looking at cards a little slower as I scan in. So why not share? I will start the list have heard before.

1. No scanner and or don't know how. That was my excuse for 2 years.
2. Safety...this does not bother me.
3. To not let others know what you have if trying to be number 1. Don't get this either.

What else have you heard?

Comments

• goldenhawkgoldenhawk Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Too lazy to scan them.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    1. Safety
    2. Don't want to get run up
    3. No one else's business
    4. Modesty

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>1. Safety
    2. Don't want to get run up
    3. No one else's business
    4. Modesty >>

What is don't what to get run up? Don't understand why it's unsafe...

I put them up mostly but only do it in my spare time and on sets I am agressively working...
    Sometimes when someone sees you need a card they will shill you up on it because they know you're probably willing to pay over market just to get it done- especially if it's low pop or you've needed it for a while.
    Unsafe because it's not always a good idea to let the general public to know what you have, assuming you keep it at home.
    There was a huge about of screaming when Mastro listed who owned a bunch of Wagners a few years ago, at least two people on that list didn't want it known.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it's time availability. I have a hard enough time managing cert number entries for the sets and trying to shuffle in and out cards coming into and going out of my collection. If I had to scan every upgrade in addition, I'd have to retire early and spend all my time managing my sets. It takes the fun out of collecting. Once I truly finish a set and don't plan further upgrades, then maybe I'll add scans. As Anthony stated, some sellers target near complete sets knowing a person has a need for a particular card and will jack up the price accordingly.
    Here's another reason:

At the National in '06 I came across some T218's I needed. I pulled the ones I wanted and asked the seller the price, he said he had to look it up. It was taking him a while so I walked over to the part of the booth where he was, and realized he was looking up MY registry set to gauge how badly I wanted them, and where it would place me in the list. When I confirmed what he was doing I walked away, and then closed my set.

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    There seems to be two "questions" going on here, and two very different "answers". If someone hides their set, it means that it's locked for general viewing (as Anthony said, for a variety of reasons). Nobody can see which cards you still need for your set, and nobody can run you up (or overcharge) you on cards you need.

If someone has their set open (unlocked), they either have scans of their cards or they don't. Scanning takes a LOT of free time, and for those who are working full time, it may just simply not be worth it. I'm retired, so I have the time, therefore I scan everything. Totally understand those who can't, but if you have the time and the interest, please do.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There seems to be two "questions" going on here, and two very different "answers". If someone hides their set, it means that it's locked for general viewing (as Anthony said, for a variety of reasons). Nobody can see which cards you still need for your set, and nobody can run you up (or overcharge) you on cards you need.

If someone has their set open (unlocked), they either have scans of their cards or they don't. Scanning takes a LOT of free time, and for those who are working full time, it may just simply not be worth it. I'm retired, so I have the time, therefore I scan everything. Totally understand those who can't, but if you have the time and the interest, please do. >>

+1

I'm way behind on several higher priorities than scanning.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Good feed back. I was just wondering. I enjoy looking at other cards and sets I don't have. So I wanted to share what I have. I do understand the reason why people don't want to ...just wanted the discussion. Seems like a lot of work to look me up and know if I am buying a card???
    I do know it takes a lot of time and not retired so will have to dial back my goal after one week of scanning. Thank you
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try and scan as many items for the registry as I can, but often fall behind, too. There are valid reasons not to show your cards on the set, but my opinion is that if I'm going to publish the set on the registry to begin with, I'd like to share photos of at least some of the cards I'm collecting.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>Here's another reason:

At the National in '06 I came across some T218's I needed. I pulled the ones I wanted and asked the seller the price, he said he had to look it up. It was taking him a while so I walked over to the part of the booth where he was, and realized he was looking up MY registry set to gauge how badly I wanted them, and where it would place me in the list. When I confirmed what he was doing I walked away, and then closed my set. >>

WOW...The lengths people go to get a few more dollars out of you. I can see now why some top sets are hidden...I always worry about shill bidders on ebay.
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Great thread. It's too bad to hear some of this stuff. Certainly takes away from the hobby.

I basically hide sets I'm actively working on and open up sets that I'm not really working on.

For scanning, the iPhone with the Scanner App really speeds the process. I'm still way behind however.

The National story is stunning.

I would add this on the price gouging -- for the sets I'm working on (mostly '70s sets), I will often look over the publicly listed sets. The PSA site is littered with 80 to 90 percent completion rates. Even before I open the set, I know which cards will be missing. Many set builders pick up the easy cards and leave the tough cards until the end. These will always cost more -- whether the set is hidden or not. It may not necessarily be price gouging.

<< <i>Great thread. It's too bad to hear some of this stuff. Certainly takes away from the hobby.

I basically hide sets I'm actively working on and open up sets that I'm not really working on.

For scanning, the iPhone with the Scanner App really speeds the process. I'm still way behind however.

The National story is stunning.

I would add this on the price gouging -- for the sets I'm working on (mostly '70s sets), I will often look over the publicly listed sets. The PSA site is littered with 80 to 90 percent completion rates. Even before I open the set, I know which cards will be missing. Many set builders pick up the easy cards and leave the tough cards until the end. These will always cost more -- whether the set is hidden or not. It may not necessarily be price gouging. >>

I just got a iPhone how does that work?? What is the app?

<< <i>image >>

I did not know my neighbor was on the boardsimage
  • i have scanned over 3000 psa cards for the public to see. you just have to keep it up when you purchase new psa cards, i once in awhile get a email to see what my ichiro master set looks like, so i send to to my sets on the registry.
  • mike1297mike1297 Posts: 35 ✭✭
    When I started my Pete Rose set, that is what I really wanted to do, add pictures, because there are so many odd ball cards in the registry that I had never even seen before that apparently I was going to need now if I wanted to be in the top 5. So, I figured there must be other people out there like me so I decided that as I got new cards to add to my set, I was just going to scan them as I got them so all the world could see what that card looked like.
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭

<< <i>I just got a iPhone how does that work?? What is the app? >>

There's an app called Scanner Pro which is pretty handy. It may cost a few bucks. Not sure.

Works well with Drop Box which is a file sharing service. You scan with your iPhone and then upload through Drop Box to your computer.

From there onto the PSA site.

It takes a while to learn the various steps but once you move along the learning curve I found it saves a ton of time. Was able to toss my old scanner and free up some space.
  • On the plus side, I've had people offer me cards I needed and we were able to make a deal. Maybe I'd have found them if they had listed them on eBay, but maybe not...

df

Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan

<< <i>On the plus side, I've had people offer me cards I needed and we were able to make a deal. Maybe I'd have found them if they had listed them on eBay, but maybe not...

df >>

Forgot that reason. That has happened to me also. Time is money. If they have something I want then win win.
    I am finding as I scan in cards. I am enjoying cards I have not see in awhile. It is also easy to log on to the psa site from any place and enjoy. I see this also as a good insurance tool.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too lazy to scan them. >>

Me too.