Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Player registries cooling down?

Are the player registries dying down? Earlier this week I listed a bunch of low pop oddball Ripken, Sandberg, Mattingly, Canseco, Schmidt, Griffey, Gretzky, etc....., that just popped and not many have sold. Granted my prices are pretty high on them to start off, but in the past I would have no problem moving them or getting reasonable offers from registry collectors within 2 days of listing. Will Clark and George Brett seem to be the only ones going strong right now. Anybody have any insight on this?

Lee

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Lee-

With Schmidt, I think it depends. I don't think the other Schmidt collectors are really inclined to pay gobs and gobs of money for high-grade examples of some of the more esoteric cards, but they would like to fill out their collection. I also think that for the really rare stuff, there's a good market for it. I don't have any problems selling (privately) things like a 1982 FBI Disc, a 1988 Heads-Up Test, or a 1990 Donruss Blue/White.

But it's a thin market. And given how many hundreds of examples of cards are in a Player Master Set, it is expensive to build out the full set in graded form. I also think that after many years, there is really a surplus of supply of almost all regular-issue cards in relatively high grade. Building out a Basic Player Set in PSA 9 should no longer be an expensive proposition for a lot of the players from the 1970s and 1980s.

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee,

I was asking myself the same question.

Currently I have several oddball high end Killebrew items that haven't sold. Some are very low pop and high (or highest) graded. I listed them for this years Registry awards and have lowered the prices on some as well. Was quite surprised at the lack of bidding and even the items that sold didn't generate the bidding that I was expecting.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I get it Marc, I really do. Seems like logic might be taking over, but I'm sure you can attest to the fact that for the last decade there wasn't much rhyme or reason as to what sold and for how much. I think what's happened is that most player sets only have 1-2 active buyers so the competition isn't fueling prices like it once was. I think the Schmidt collectors are a little more tight knit and it isn't so much a competition with you guys as it is a co-op. Maybe other player sets are seeing the same dynamic.

It's funny- before I used to get questions as to how I could justify asking $100-$200 for X card in PSA 10 when it sells for nothing raw, but I don't even get those questions any more. It's like the Master set registries went from high interest to zero interest in no time.

Joe- tough break on the Killebrew set, he sued to be one of the strongest as far as vintage goes.

Lee
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    And, as an aside to 4SC, even though the issue is very rare and the graded is even rarer, I cannot imagine how and why I'd ever think of plunking down $800- for a card like this:

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    I can only speak as a buyer, but my primary rule is to stick to basic topps sets and never go wrong. oddballs are fun, but most of the master sets are entirely way too lengthy for the normal collector to compete. for example: nolan ryan master set consists of 2313 items. even at $10 per low grade item, that's $23K. and besides do I really need a 1976 nolan ryan popsicle stick? well maybe. do I need to have it graded? not really. I have my oddball stuff but don't have the need to collect the other 2200 items solely for competition sake. another possible reason for master sets cooling down is all the different psa holders it requires. I like my stuff organized. probably borderline ocd and to have 30 different sized holders just doesn't interest me. again, to each their own.

"putt'em in a body bag, johnny"
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    CDsNuts: I'm collecting Mattingly Basic/Master but am not too concerned about POP, more that it's a 10 and a nice looking card. I guess like most, I will only pay what I want to pay. Do you have any Mattingly's listed you can link to? I'd like to see your prices.
  • csakerscsakers Posts: 239
    I have some duplicate Mattingly cards in PSA 10 grade, if you are interested in possibly adding them to your growing collection. Let me know if you are interested and I can put together a listing.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I only need 18 cards to complete the Don Mattingly Master collection. Help would be great!

<< <i>I have some duplicate Mattingly cards in PSA 10 grade, if you are interested in possibly adding them to your growing collection. Let me know if you are interested and I can put together a listing.

Thanks,
    Chris >>

There he is. The man who saved all his graded cards and added them all at once.. jumping from about 20% to 92%. Jealous. Sure, send me a list of what you have. Thanks.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Master Sets are INSANE. I have definitely slowed down on mine, more due to time/cost constraints. However, to start the task of a Master Set now, in 2014, of a major star player, is incredibly daunting. I don't think I could start a new one, at this point. And they are really time consuming, even for people with heavy wallets. You can't just purchase a few wax or vending cases, price be damned, and make a jump into the top few spots. It takes a great deal of "work" to get close to a Master Set.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    I will be requesting the addition of a Master Set for Mark Buehrle once I get my subs back.
    I have been adding cards to my Mattingly Master collection since 2006, so you must be confusing me with someone else.

Would you like for me to send the list of PSA 10 cards via the message service or simply list them in this forum? Either way is fine with me. Whichever is most convenient for you will be fine.

Coincidentally, I have 23 duplicates in PSA 10 grade to sell.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I only need 18 cards to complete the Don Mattingly Master collection. Help would be great!
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering when we'll see an increase in Super Sets being added to the registry by collectors. Anything not from the big 4 sports that is a Master Set is the same as a Super Set from a big 4 athlete, which means all cards issued, including those issued after retirement, are part of the composition.

I have inquired about this concept for a few years, but PSA insists they do not have the necessary amount of employees to maintain such an effort. I would truly enjoy the challenge of putting together a TRUE Master collection. . .every card produced of a player (the only exception being anything counterfeit). This would represent the true definition of MASTER.
    On a happy note, I just picked up a 1971 Kelloggs PSA 10 Killebrew for $175.00. I am quite happy about the price and hope to find more bargains!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Lee are you feartheterps?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

<< <i>I have inquired about this concept for a few years, but PSA insists they do not have the necessary amount of employees to maintain such an effort. I would truly enjoy the challenge of putting together a TRUE Master collection. . .every card produced of a player (the only exception being anything counterfeit). This would represent the true definition of MASTER. >>

Great thought and one I was trying to accomplish at one time with Killebrew.

My question is how to deal with the cards that are numbered to super low quantities. In order to get a "true definition" wouldn't you need all the 1 of 1's as well? I drew the line well before that and limted my card collecting to only cards issued during his career. Not sure how you are going to accomplish it with a modern player. Simply too many of the virtually identical card for one thing, not to mention the 1 of 1's 5 of 5's etc. The cost would seem to be prohibitive even if you didn't have to have every card.

In the purest sense of the word, a MASTER collection would have to include EVERY card ever produced. . .even the 1 of 1 cards. Obviously, this is impossible even if money were not an issue. Simply trying to persuade another collector to relinquish a 1 of 1 in their collection would take a minor miracle.

For my purposes, I would like to see a compilation of all cards having a print run of 25 or higher (I believe those with print runs of less than 100 are able to be acquired without too much difficulty). This would include the name brands, such as Topps, Fleer, Upper Deck, and so forth. However, this would also include the off brand items such as the Magazine specials, Broder cards, and other varieties. Again, this would NOT include the counterfeit cards. I do not wish to validate the creation of counterfeits.

Additionally, such a Master collection would include cards from the playing days and post career. This would include managerial cards and recognition cards produced by companies to celebrate specific teams or players.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think it's basically impossible to complete most sets if 1 of 1s are included. Reason being, depending on how many different 1 of 1s exist of a given player, there are likely still examples hidden in an unopened pack somewhere. Though I'm not a modern collector, for players like Ripken and Griffey I'd assume they have several 1 of 1s.

<< <i>In the purest sense of the word, a MASTER collection would have to include EVERY card ever produced. . .even the 1 of 1 cards. Obviously, this is impossible even if money were not an issue. Simply trying to persuade another collector to relinquish a 1 of 1 in their collection would take a minor miracle.

For my purposes, I would like to see a compilation of all cards having a print run of 25 or higher (I believe those with print runs of less than 100 are able to be acquired without too much difficulty). This would include the name brands, such as Topps, Fleer, Upper Deck, and so forth. However, this would also include the off brand items such as the Magazine specials, Broder cards, and other varieties. Again, this would NOT include the counterfeit cards. I do not wish to validate the creation of counterfeits.

Additionally, such a Master collection would include cards from the playing days and post career. This would include managerial cards and recognition cards produced by companies to celebrate specific teams or players. >>

Not altogether a bad idea, too bad the card companies couldn't have kept the print runs to at least 25 or even 50 so the "hard core" collector could have a chance to get every card.

I was trying it, but simply gave up as the variations and super limited cards broke my will to attempt it. It just wasn't fun anymore.

<< <i>In the purest sense of the word, a MASTER collection would have to include EVERY card ever produced. . .even the 1 of 1 cards. Obviously, this is impossible even if money were not an issue. Simply trying to persuade another collector to relinquish a 1 of 1 in their collection would take a minor miracle.

Additionally, such a Master collection would include cards from the playing days and post career. This would include managerial cards and recognition cards produced by companies to celebrate specific teams or players. >>

Remember, the rules do include print runs of 4 or higher. Here is a quote from the Registry rules page:

"All cards, with the exception of unique or very limited edition cards (1-3 print runs), are accepted in the Master player sets."

You can have them add print runs of 1 through 3 as optional items in a master set if you want.

Also, Super Sets have been slowly requested to be added. There are a couple already on there somewhere (don't remember who at the moment) and there are some in the long line of set requests that are going to be added sooner or later. It isn't common yet, but participation exists and maybe some people don't even realize the Super Set registries for a player are an option yet, but would participate if they knew they could?

I wouldn't. 2313 items for the nolan ryan master set already. I couldn't imagine how many cards would be in a super set of his. as stated, do I really need a 1976 nolan ryan popsicle stick "card"? well maybe. do I need to have it graded by psa and collect 10,000 other items just for competition? not really. i'm perfectly content on the #1 and #2 spot on the basic topps set.

plus my major issue with the master/super sets is all the DiFfEreNT SiZed holders it requires to have. i'm borderline OCD and like to have my collection organized....kinda hard to do w/ 14 different sized holders for team issues, coins, pins, discs, packs, tall boys, low boys etc.

• << <i>plus my major issue with the master/super sets is all the DiFfEreNT SiZed holders it requires to have. i'm borderline OCD and like to have my collection organized....kinda hard to do w/ 14 different sized holders for team issues, coins, pins, discs, packs, tall boys, low boys etc. >>

Well I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that feels this way! I get bent when the set I'm collecting has both horizontal & vertical cards!!!image
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    I have asked for a few player sets. I want to find a home for my graded cards. Part of the fun of collecting is to compare and compete with others.
  • What are the steps required to request a "Super Set" for a player?

All you need are 5 PSA-graded cards that fit the set. They can be any combination of career vs. retirement years.

• << <i>All you need are 5 PSA-graded cards that fit the set. They can be any combination of career vs. retirement years. >>

Correct... I asked for the mickey mantle super set back a few months ago. Still not active...it will be interesting what they put in the set. I gave 5 cards over a few years
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would think it's basically impossible to complete most sets if 1 of 1s are included. Reason being, depending on how many different 1 of 1s exist of a given player, there are likely still examples hidden in an unopened pack somewhere. Though I'm not a modern collector, for players like Ripken and Griffey I'd assume they have several 1 of 1s. >>

They may have dozens of 1/1s just in one set. 2005 Donruss Diamond Kings had insane numbers of 1/1s because of all the different varieties they created of auto &/or relic cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would think it's basically impossible to complete most sets if 1 of 1s are included. Reason being, depending on how many different 1 of 1s exist of a given player, there are likely still examples hidden in an unopened pack somewhere. Though I'm not a modern collector, for players like Ripken and Griffey I'd assume they have several 1 of 1s. >>

They may have dozens of 1/1s just in one set. 2005 Donruss Diamond Kings had insane numbers of 1/1s because of all the different varieties they created of auto &/or relic cards.

Nick >>

favre's count down to 442 TD set by Topps Chrome had 442 super refractors numbered 1/1.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nick >>

favre's count down to 442 TD set by Topps Chrome had 442 super refractors numbered 1/1. >>

As stated above though, the rules on the PSA website say print runs of 1 to 3 are not included on the compositions. They can be added as optional items if requested.
    Lee are you feartheterps?

That be me.

Lee
    CDsNuts: I'm collecting Mattingly Basic/Master but am not too concerned about POP, more that it's a 10 and a nice looking card. I guess like most, I will only pay what I want to pay. Do you have any Mattingly's listed you can link to? I'd like to see your prices.

Here's a link to my Mattingly's, I only have a handful. I'm willing to work with you on price.

Lee
    Lee,

Would you like to discuss possible pricing via messaging? Is it safe to assume your prices would be a bit lower if we strike a deal through this venue, as opposed to eBay (and all their fees)?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Speaking of player registry sets: I have quite a few PSA 10 grade Don Mattingly cards for sale. The listing can be found at:

PSA 10 Don Mattingly for sale
    Lee,

Thanks for the help,
    Chris
    Back to your original inquiry:

For most of the player collections, there tend to only be a handful of collectors working on completing the full collection. Once these collectors near completion of the set, it eliminates much of the "fighting" for cards. Without the "fighting" for cards, prices drop.

In my pursuit of trying to complete the Don Mattingly Master Collection, I have experienced this for years. There are numerous cards available now for the collection at a very small fraction of what I have paid for them over the years. There was a time when a card would become available with a population of only 1 - 3 copies and I would pay a large amount to add it to my collection, as I feared it would be a long time before it ever became available again. Over time, I found that this was not necessarily the case. I would pay $100 for a card and the following week two more would show up and sell for $50 each. Now, I tend to wait (and not need to have the first PSA 10 graded of a card) in order to save money.
    Another aspect hurting sales toward the registry collections is that PSA grades certain player cards, then either does not include them in the composite or simply marks them as optional. Collectors are getting burned by spending money on items, which they believe will enhance their registry collection. In the end, they end up with something that is cool to have in their collection, but does not help them improve their registry standing. When this happens multiple times, it makes the collector more apprehensive about buying more unique items.
    All good points, Chris.

I have found in recent months that people are getting back into the game after selling their collections a few years ago when the economy tanked. Now that they have disposable income again it's back to the registry. Since I started this thread I've seen an uptick in sales for Mattingly, Griffey, Sandberg and Dawson which is a good sign.

Lee
  • JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I hate being the negative nancy on the forum but...

The grader from hell got me twice this year. That has discouraged me a bit. Then PSA decided than anything with a picture of a player on it is now a "card" and can be added to their master set. Coins, magnets, matchbooks, you name it. It's all in now. That, and ugly, poor quality, hand-cut foreign cards with little fuzzy pictures printed on what equates to the underside of a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. Of course, the only examples of these foreign cards still in existence are in exceptionally poor condition dragging down the overall quality of my set. These are the eye sores, I mean "cards" that I should now be chasing apparently.

Again, please forgive me if I sound less than enthusiastic. First World problems, to be sure.

Bernie Kosar collector

• cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭

<< <i>I hate being the negative nancy on the forum but...

The grader from hell got me twice this year. That has discouraged me a bit. Then PSA decided than anything with a picture of a player on it is now a "card" and can be added to their master set. Coins, magnets, matchbooks, you name it. It's all in now. That, and ugly, poor quality, hand-cut foreign cards with little fuzzy pictures printed on what equates to the underside of a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. Of course, the only examples of these foreign cards still in existence are in exceptionally poor condition dragging down the overall quality of my set. These are the eye sores, I mean "cards" that I should now be chasing apparently.

Again, please forgive me if I sound less than enthusiastic. First World problems, to be sure. >>

There's nothing here that requires forgiveness. You're spot-on. I think player registries will prove to be a fad. The 'underside of a Kraft macaroni and cheese' is classic. Again, spot-on. No one, and I mean no one, in my neck of the woods collected any of the obscure food-type cards. Everyone gave them to their little brother that didn't know the difference and then asked their parent for money to buy real packs because they were nice to their younger brother. -- Cue the 'since no one collected them they are now valuable' posts...
    There's nothing here that requires forgiveness. You're spot-on. I think player registries will prove to be a fad. The 'underside of a Kraft macaroni and cheese' is classic. Again, spot-on. No one, and I mean no one, in my neck of the woods collected any of the obscure food-type cards. Everyone gave them to their little brother that didn't know the difference and then asked their parent for money to buy real packs because they were nice to their younger brother. -- Cue the 'since no one collected them they are now valuable' posts...

I understand your frustration, but I disagree. The true hardcore player collectors of the 80s and 90s were sometimes called 'List Collectors', meaning they would work off a master list of their player's items. This included basically anything and everything with the player's name on it that was licensed- obscure issues, pencils, birthday cards, coins, magnets, marbles, etc.... If PSA's 'Master Set Registry' wanted to truly capture the spirit of collecting a master set (which I think it should), then these oddballs should be included. Obviously they aren't going to slab pencils and marbles, but anything that's flat and licensed should come into play when talking about a master set. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Should Star Co. sets be included with all of the glossy, silver, gold, platinum, nova variations and countless promos? What about game cards like Question of Sport and NFL Franchise game? Or Magazine insert cards like Tuff Stuff, SCD, BB Card Mag, SI Kids? There are arguments for both sides, but it seems arbitrary to allow some and not the rest. If we're talking about a true 'Master Set' I think they should all be included, otherwise it shouldn't be called a master set.

Your other options are the basic sets and basic & collectors issues. Seems to me like these would be more up your alley.

Lee
    I do collect the Basic sets. When it comes to my very favorite players I like to collect a little more so I started the Master sets too. The "Basic and Collectors sets" are a mystery to me. What are they supposed to be? The cards included and excluded seem random and incomprehensible.

I know that you can't always please everyone but I wish they had a player set containing all of the normal cards from major US card manufacturers. Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, Skybox, etc. Not just the base issues but the All-Stars and inserts too. The vast majority of these cards (outside of protoypes and redemptions) would have been pack inserted cards. This is what I am interested in. I collect basketball so that is the sport I have in mind when envision this.

Maybe I'm in the minority and most people want anything and everything in the master sets. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying that this is why I've slowed down and changed the focus of my collecting a bit. Chasing down a lot of low quality, oddball, foreign junk isn't my cup of tea.

Bernie Kosar collector

I hear you, Lee. 'Where do you draw the line' seems to be the key issue. I know I'm showing my bias as a set collector. - Kevin

Jason brings up a good point- The basic sets are too easy to complete (I could go on ebay right now and hit BIN's to get to 100% for just about any big name player), and the Master sets are impossible to complete. Maybe something in the middle makes sense, like a 'Mainstream Issues set' that eliminate all the obscure issues, but hits all of the Topps leader and all stars, Jello/Post, etc... Basically anything that was distributed nationally and had broad collector appeal.
    Perhaps we could lobby PSA to do that. Like I said before, it's hard to please everyone but maybe this would be something that a lot of people would like.

Bernie Kosar collector

• I think a master set should be as comprehensive and difficult to complete as possible.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do collect the Basic sets. When it comes to my very favorite players I like to collect a little more so I started the Master sets too. The "Basic and Collectors sets" are a mystery to me. What are they supposed to be? The cards included and excluded seem random and incomprehensible.

I know that you can't always please everyone but I wish they had a player set containing all of the normal cards from major US card manufacturers. Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, Skybox, etc. Not just the base issues but the All-Stars and inserts too. The vast majority of these cards (outside of protoypes and redemptions) would have been pack inserted cards. This is what I am interested in. I collect basketball so that is the sport I have in mind when envision this.

Maybe I'm in the minority and most people want anything and everything in the master sets. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying that this is why I've slowed down and changed the focus of my collecting a bit. Chasing down a lot of low quality, oddball, foreign junk isn't my cup of tea. >>

they do Topps master sets.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jason brings up a good point- The basic sets are too easy to complete (I could go on ebay right now and hit BIN's to get to 100% for just about any big name player), and the Master sets are impossible to complete. Maybe something in the middle makes sense, like a 'Mainstream Issues set' that eliminate all the obscure issues, but hits all of the Topps leader and all stars, Jello/Post, etc... Basically anything that was distributed nationally and had broad collector appeal. >>

Maybe something like a player 'x' mainstream set for each player. It would include only cards that were produced with populations greater than some number (1000?). That may be hard to determine since most companies didn't publish their distribution profiles. However, it probably wouldn't be too hard to weed out which cards were the obscure issues and it would certainly eliminate 1 of x cards where 'x' is less than 1000 or whatever number is decided as the threshold.
    This thread got me thinking -- I once asked PSA to add a set (basically a sub-set) of the 72/73 OPC Hockey Set for WHA cards #290-341. I went to Whalers games growing up but never had their cards and I did not want to collect the entire OPC set. Thought it would be fun to collect. They wouldn't do it. Said no sub-sets. Yet, the PSA site is littered with team sets which are basically sub-sets (you can even have the same card in multiple sets!) and then they have these master sets for everything under the sun, including the now fabled Kraft macaroni box. Their reasoning just doesn't seem to make sense.
    Jason brings up a good point- The basic sets are too easy to complete (I could go on ebay right now and hit BIN's to get to 100% for just about any big name player

sure...in junk grades! try finding your 1971 in a psa 9. took me over 2 years to find my rose and even a little longer than that for my first ryan in a 9. if you are going for quality and gems the basic sets aren't all that easy and command just a little more respect than that!
  • They do have basic issue sets already...just maybe not for your favorite player. As you can see my Jim Thome Basic Set @
    http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/AlltimeSet.aspx?s=170047&m=30945&ac=0
    I like collecting this set as it doesn't have all the off the wall cards and is actually (for me) within reach of completing.