Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Recent Mile High Card auction

Their auctions are usually decent.
This past auction had a very high grade 1965 topps football set (#1 on registry +++++).
Many pop 1,s and cards you almost never see.

The auction was for The entire set and also for each card. The auction clearly pointed out that the set final price or the sum of the individual cards would be the winner.

Now I know that they can do whatever they want and everything was clearly stated up front.

On the East coast you really need to stay up to 3:00am to put in a final bid with extended bidding.

I did and set wins. How do you all feel about this kind of auction?

Seems like a waste of time for many of us.

The owner of the cards is a really nice guy and I do hope he recovered most of what he paid over the years.
Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    Jay, I was bidding on about 80 of the cards, and around 9 pm (west coast time zone. image ) it became apparent the set was going to beat the cards, and I gave up.

I've always liked this format, not often do you see the set beat the cards as typically its dealers buying the set to break it up and sell and they have max prices, a set like this another collector was probably the winner and the break up price is not an issue, more an emotional thing to buy some one of a kind cards. Sick set!

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Set vs. single has been done for the last few years by various auction houses, most of them abandoning the format. IMO it's wrong and I won't bid in any auction that does this.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭

<< <i>Set vs. single has been done for the last few years by various auction houses, most of them abandoning the format. IMO it's wrong and I won't bid in any auction that does this. >>

Spot on, +1, Like Button Click etc.