Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1996 Topps Baseball - Official Thread

Yes, I laughed when I wrote "official thread" for a 1996 set, but it had to start eventually right?
I’ve been at this PSA stuff for about a month now and I was looking at what set to start and finish at PSA 10. It had to be doable on my budget and in a timely manner. A month ago I seriously thought I could rock out one of my 76-86 sets. I was big into cards from 1976 through the 1980’s but I found the cards I have that I thought were NM-M sitting in those boxes and photo albums that I moved around the world with me in the military for the last three decades are not even close to 10’s. You guys also have some rockin’ sets in the 76-86 time frame and are very knowable on them already…and I don’t think I have anything to offer the hobby there so I figured I’d explore a lesser set and build my knowledge base on a somewhat ignored section. A big plus is it’s going to be a Hell of a lot cheaper and still a lot of fun. I settled on the 96’ set since it’s the birth year of my youngest and since he has one more year at home he may want to sort through some cards with the old man. (He does love that the set is currently number one) I have set a goal of finishing the set 100% by the time he graduates High School. Fun times and some bonding I hope.
I didn’t get to collect this set in 96’ as collecting when my son’s were young and we were living overseas made it difficult…so my knowledge base on 1996 collecting is currently limited so I am wanting to pick brains on a few things.
#1 Team Topps cards and the regular issue what is the difference...they have the same number but different lines on the POP? (Some sort of gold foil is my guess)
#2 Same question on the #96 Cal Ripken Jr., (Regular and Tribute).
#3 Lastly the #68 Bernie Williams card: On the POP report it has two #68’s one with a POP of one and the other with 14…is this some obscure error or just another Team Card?
I have only open my factory sealed set and one set that someone sold me on e-bay as complete in the factory box. (devoid of Jeter, Bonds and Puckett cards among a few others). I have found about 40-50% of the cards to be way off center (Not 1975 off center, but noticeable).so beware of a possible quality control issue there. I will be interested in reasonably price cards from this set that I don’t have, (Joe's 96' Topps Baseball). I want to finish it in 10’s but I will be adding place holders to get to 100% by May.
Thanks for reading and happy collecting.

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your quest. Keep us updated.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I can still remember my first packs from this year. Thought it was such an upgrade to the previous sets form the early 90s.
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    well, good luck chief. I hope the bonding time with your son works out well along the way!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have much to contribute about the set but your best bet is probably to start with 4SC and grab what they have. I took a quick look and it seems like most of their PSA 10s are in the $5-8 range. At that price it's almost impossible to do better by submitting on your own (which I'm sure you'll have to do plenty of throughout your journey). I wish you the best and hope there's a ton of bonding time with your son.

http://www.4sharpcorners.com/itemcatalog.aspx?categoryid=2
  • Options
    Thanks, I have gone to 4SC and hit ebay...once I get the last bit from 4SC I should be 25% complete. The set I opened this weekend was clean and had the Jeter 3 card strip in it (Rare from what I understand). Also the Mantle was a Last Day Printing and sweet enough to grade. I'd say I have about 50% of the set in what I consider good enough to grade.

FYI, I found the All-Star cards be very tough to find centered...more so then the regular cards. I am sure this will not be an issue with this set since the huge amount of product out there but I think eventually finding these graded 10's might be more difficult then the regular cards. Of three sets I broke to find gradeable cards I found only one All-Star worth submitting.
  • Options
    Ok so I ripped the 1996 series 1 box. Centering was about the same % (or close to) the sets I opened. Biggest problem with ripping a 1996 box is the sticking. I lost several great cards due to the ripping off of the color from the faces of the cards. I did find that if you rip it like a band aid your screwed...so take them apart gently and you can save a good percentage of them. The Mantle set is nice and I got 5 out of that box with one of the mystery cards (a Larry Walker). All the Mantles were nice save one that got the color ripped off of it. I will scan and post the Big Mac I got that has the name printed out to the edge (I received 6 of these printing flawed jems)...I'm thinking the guy who set that one was drunk. It is good to know that even after 50 years Topps Quality Control is about the same.
  • Options
    You know, I was going to post yesterday (and never got to it) about the sticking issue with 1996 Topps. I opened a vending box of this stuff (can't remember which series) back in about 2000 and it was just a solid brick of cards. It was awful. Makes one think that this might be a grade sensitive set IF it ever gains popularity over the years.
  • Options
    My series two box was a huge disappointment. Not one Mantle (or any other insert...compared to the many from the series I box) and 80-90% of the cards are unsubmitable due to the sticking...only cards that were good were a hand full of top and bottom cards and and the rare one from the middle that didn't have noticable sticking...then there was a creasing issue with many (maybe when the pack was sealed). The box of 81's I just opened was better and I might stick to breaking pre-1991 Topps in the future (dealing with gum and wax stains seems like a dream compared to pulling apart "bricks" of cards). I'm am submitting about 200 cards from the set this month so I will let you know how it goes. Still owe you all a scan of my off set print/sticky gloss McGwire.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Yes the Team Topps have a big gold foil stamp that says Team Topps. There are also the dvision and champions from both leagues
    that have a tasteful emblem on the cards..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the Team Topps cards...how did they come? In the sets, Boxes? I've yet to find one...though I did see one for sale on E-Bay but lost the auction.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    They came in a clam shell as a team set sold a walmart..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Thanks a ton...
  • Options
    Well the set is coming along http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/Composite.aspx?c=6099 (22% @ 9.97) but I am really not enjoying the long wait for cards to be graded. Sent them in 30 September, they were checked in 10/15/2013, so I suspect they will be done soon. I have found 4 Sharp Corners to be very responsive and perhaps they get their cards done in some expedited manner because it seems that once a week or so a star card I need pops up on their site at an insane price (and I pay it…normally). Exception being the Henderson (Sorry that is not a $30 card)…I need him and Blyleven to finish the 96 Topps HoFers and have plenty raw cards to pick from but it does seem like ages for the grading process. So if anyone has them, I’d buy them (Reasonable please). I’d like these in 10…I’ve decided to slip the non-HOFers and add 9’s until I’ve completed the set. The set is interesting since I look up the common players as well to see what has happened to them and am adding some comments along with photos of all the cards. Cards sticking together and ruining the gloss is a problem as well as yellowing (I think that set came from a smokers home) but centering is the biggest issue with the set that I’ve found with the Future Stars being particularly difficult.
  • Options
    35% Complete...I should have the rest shipped out for grading this month.
  • Options
    LINKY

That sounds like some serious coin to get the rest graded??
  • Options
    Currently 9.761 with (11) 8’s and (15) 9’s from the ones I submitted (save for the Eck…I bought). I talked about the pealing of the color from the front of the cards earlier in this thread and I think that is the biggest detractor. All cards are centered and have sharp corners so it is the only thing I can think of…though I will be sure to recheck the ones I am shipping to complete the set. I do have some nice PSA 10 1/1’s (for now)…that made me happy. These include #90 Tom "The Terminator" Henke, #66 Jim Eisenreich (a favorite player of mine), #129 Ozzie Guillen, #149 88 ROY Walt Weiss as well as current Yankee skipper Joe Girardi. But getting the set together in perfect 10’s is going to be a bit more difficult than first seemed. I think most of the star cards that where place into individual holders or sheets when first ripped from backs will do well over time but the ones left unopened or stacked next to each other are going to get stuck together and lose some coloring as they are pried apart. This could be a long term problem for 96’s set collectors of the future. That is if there are anyone beside me.
  • Options

<< <i>LINKY

That sounds like some serious coin to get the rest graded?? >>

Like $6 a card yes very pricy…but it’s a hobby I suppose. It is only 440 cards…not too bad considering 792 for many other Topps sets.
  • Options
    WARNING: Card F7 (Included in this set) Mickey Mantle Last Day. The card comes in a thin plastic sleeve that is sealed on all sides that has LAST DAY PRODUCTION in gold on the back…(found in random factory sets) I found 1 of these in the numerous sets I opened. I sent it off to PSA to grade as it looks just like the #7 card save for the last day production in gold. They sent it back ungraded saying it needed to be out of the wrapper. So carefully cutting the plastic coating off so the card will slide out, I found to my dismay that the card was not embossed with the gold letters just the plastic sleeve. The card is identical to the plentiful #7 card so I’m sending it back in embossed gold sleeve to see what they do. I suppose I should have sent the sleeved card in an additional sleeve but it does not fit into a penny sleeve…and I didn’t realize the embossing was on the sleeve until I cut it and pulled it out. I am sure I’ll just get this one back as well ungraded or graded as a #7 Mantle so I am in need of a #7 Last Day Sleeved (uncut) Mantle if anyone has one. There are (not surprisingly) none graded thus far.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    This is an admirable quest and I look forward to following it. I have a feeling this will be much more difficult than most people believe.
    Good luck!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

Got totally destroyed on my free submission: 3 10's out of 15 cards. Only one I agree with is the one Eckersley...I sure wish they came with a note saying (bad color, soft corner or something...like Beckett). I may not get big money for my set if I go Beckett but at least I will know what is wrong with my subs.
    1996 TOPPS 251 LEE SMITH 10 (1/1)

1996 TOPPS 368 DENNIS ECKERSLEY 8.5
    1996 TOPPS 368 DENNIS ECKERSLEY 9 Still looking for a 10 to complete the HoF set for this...I get the one being an 8.5 as it came from a set I got from a smoker's house and was kind of off white (not overly noticable), funny thing is my first sub of 96's had none that were marked down for discoloring though I had some come from the same set graded. I'll not be subing any more of those "smoker's house" cards. I totally think I got robbed on the 9, but will just get more raws and submit unless someone wants to sell me one!

1996 TOPPS 425 B.OWENS/J.BONNICI R.SEXSON/D.WARD 10
    1996 TOPPS 434 C.HAAS/G.ARIAS/S.ROLEN/S.SPIEZIO 9 Another that I've had trouble with...this one was solid centering at least I though...

1996 TOPPS 400 MANNY RAMIREZ 10

1996 TOPPS 367 JAVY LOPEZ 7
    1996 TOPPS 313 TREVOR HOFFMAN 9
    1996 TOPPS 380 JEFF BAGWELL 8
    1996 TOPPS 101 BOB ABREU/STEVE GIBRALTER 9
    1996 TOPPS 129 OZZIE GUILLEN 7
    1996 TOPPS 136 HIDEO NOMO 10
    1996 TOPPS 128 CURT SCHILLING 9
    1996 TOPPS 397 RICKEY HENDERSON 9
    1996 TOPPS 397 RICKEY HENDERSON 9
  • Options
    My paid submission faired better (more then 50% 10's) 17 10's, 11 9's and 5 8's...perhaps I need to look at the cards harder...I use magnifing glass and don't normally submit a card I know is bad (like the 8.5 Eck above). Perhaps I should send the PSA's to Beckett and see what they say my issue is...I was told when I first started this that Beckett might be better for the newer stuff. Any thoughts?
  • Options

Well I looked closely at my subs and it is a color issue. Some are very white and others not so much. Very few slightly off color cards make a 10 (but some do...so buy the card not the grade.) I for one will not risk sending in the yellowing cards...I actually hope this is only the cards from the smokers house. As for the 7's I got, they were from fresh packs where the cards stuck together and pulled some of the color off...you have to really look at those, as you might think you get them apart without damage but under a magnifying glass the story is very different. I will be taking my time on the last 70% of this set $6/$8 per common is pricy for a 7-9 grade.

As for whoever said this would be easy...wrong and here is why:

Under 6000 cards have been graded in this set. Over 2000 of those cards are of #25 Sean Casey (Less than 10% of this card got a PSA 10) So only 4K of the other cards have even been graded...those being of the major stars of the day. Many of the common cards (170 or so) have yet to have a graded example and most sit in sets, unopened boxes or in collections laying against each other. Therein lies the problem. I have found the cards stick together like a brick in the sets and unopened packs...this rips the color off of them (Like my PSA 7 (1/1) Javy Lopez) and basically only the top card in a pack is undamaged. Stars and HoF's are fairly easy to get (Save for Biggio and Eckersley who only have 9 PSA 10's out there...and the Biggio STP has just 1 PSA 10 but it will be the commons along with common STP cards, 4 person rookies, the AAA cards and draft picks that will be most difficult...not prior 1980s hard...but difficult for 1990's cards. This sticking issue may also be true for many glossy cards made in the last 20+ years. This set isn't highly collected right now and may never be but as with all Topps sets, eventually someone will want to finish this in all 10's besides me...

Still looking for the #368 Eckersley and #9 Craig Biggio STP in PSA 10
  • Options
    51% Complete...Don't know about the rest of you but I've been destroyed on many of my last submissions.
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Hi Chief.. I'm following this thread and will help if possible. I'm a 1996 Texas Rangers team set builder. The sticky issue is for real.. This set is expensive in the raw and condition sensitive.. Good luck and thanks for your service to this country..

TONY/ Rangerman
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Yellowing is also an issue, or seems to be. Could be just the open set I bought on E-bay from an obvious smoker, but I’ve seen this yellowing in other glossy Topps issues, most notable on 95 Topps and the 1985 Tiffany Set. Some cards I have seen in 10 cases with this yellowing…could be it was just missed and the new guy has a better eye for it or the cards are ageing and all glossy cards will soon be yellow.

Check out my 95 Winfield 10
    http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/30945/22054730/1995 Topps DAVE WINFIELD 10.jpg
    VS These three:
    http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/30945/22339761/1995 Topps TOM GLAVINE 175.jpg
    http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/30945/22021944/1995 Topps JIM THOME 312.jpg
    The Winfield and Thome were slabed not too far apart
    http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/30945/22021941/1995 Alomar 438 1.jpg

• Options
    53.17% Complete...at 442 cards it's not an amazing feat but for sure it isn’t cheap. Going to wait on finishing the next set that is for sure.
    I am surprised by the number of lower graded cards I get back, especially when I see nothing wrong with them at all (Besides yellowing on some of the 9's). 49 (9's) 1 (8.5) 19 (8's) 3 (7's) and Card #160 Derek Bell a 6. My wife thinks I shouldn’t send a ton of them in at once, she figures the grader (as being just human) sits there and says, these all can’t be 10’s and gives a % in lower grades.
    Of all the cards I got back that were not 10’s the Bell is the only one I can see the flaw in, so I am not too concerned as they normally are 1/1 anyway. The Bell had some of the color come off the card and I suspect this came from one of the packs I opened...though I didn't see it when I subbed it (of course)....the 1997's are even worse at the sticking by the way.
    I've opened several more sets and found the ones that came in the mini cereal boxes to have less sticking then the standard factory sets. The sticking is killing these cards (96-98) and I imagine if someone doesn't get them out of the packs that this will be a big issue with completing a entire set with commons...that is if anyone besides me decides to collect and grade these 1990's sets. I for one will not buy unopened 96 stuff anymore until I can figure out a way around the sticking. It is a waste of money and would be more likely to buy my commons that have already been sorted and separated from other cards. I will be doing some tests 1997 current factory set that I have that is basically two chunks of cards melded together. I've so far only tried leaving the chunks out for a few days to see if they would loosen (no luck there). Now I plan on sitting them in the garage and maybe the Texas humidity will loosen them...after that I think I might microwave them. I'm willing to try some ideas if anyone has them.
    Something I mentioned before is the yellowing of these cards...it's not as bad as I said and I think this is more of an issue with the 92-95 Sets, the yellowing cards I had were from one set and it might have been just stored in the heat or in a smokers house. Centering on the checklists, Star Power cards, and multi-person RCs seem to be the hardest to beat with this set but I don’t think that is any different than any Topps set ever….I mean really can the drunk card cutter retire already!
    After the batch I dropped off at the show is graded I will have 39 cards that I will need to sub with 25 of those not even being able to find a passable card. I did find and subbed upgrades for the Bell and 2 of the 7's (The Larry Walker Star Power card is a bear and will stay a 7 in my set until someone sells me one of the 4 9's out there or I find one centered) and most of the 8's and 9's, so I am trying to get this set done in complete 10, though I think I might run out of money first.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭

<< <i>My wife thinks I shouldn’t send a ton of them in at once, she figures the grader (as being just human) sits there and says, these all can’t be 10’s and gives a % in lower grades. >>

PSA would deny, deny, deny but I think your wife is correct. I think there is an effort/bias by PSA to grade a sub on a bell curve -- hit the overall average but pick out a few good ones and hit a few bad ones. My first sub was an utter disaster because all I thought was important was the player on the card...I received some of the worst 9's you will ever see. I received a ton of 4s and 5s and ST and OC qualifiers as well. The overall average was probably 5. I learned over time but the bell curve always seems to hold true.

PS - PSA would love it if you sent in 'a ton of them at once'...
  • Options
    Dropped off 1000 at the National...that is a ton in my opinion. Thinking about the bell curve maybe I should resub my Cabbera RCs since I sent them all in at once and got 1 10 the rest lower. The on site gradding clobbered me by the way...Two Henderson RC's come back one as a 5 and the other as an 8...for the $150 I spent I could have bought an 8.5 on the floor.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    You win some, you lose some, I guess. Don't mean to be too negative on the bell curve thing. As you improve on your subs, the average should move way up. And you do save $'s on the larger subs. Good luck. For me, I pick out the cards to send in. Then wait a while, a week or a month, and then re-visit before sending in. Some cards start to clearly pop out as not being up to par. It seems to help.
  • Options
    Good suggestion...Hopefully there isn't a bell curve but if there is there is not much I can do about it. I might get a eye loupe so I don't miss those small blemishes that my magnifing glass misses. My 8's and 9's are nice and present well so I'm not going to get too upset about the bell curve (if it is in fact there)...I mean I'm not selling set anyway.
  • Options
    gopherfangopherfan Posts: 106 ✭✭
    I am not positive, but I think PSA uses a 12x magnifier when they review. I bought a 40x, and my subs are usually about 70% 10's. I think they would be higher if I didn't look at so many at once. Maybe do 20 or 30 a day instead of 200 or more.

Good luck.
    "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options

<< <i>I am not positive, but I think PSA uses a 12x magnifier when they review. I bought a 40x, and my subs are usually about 70% 10's. I think they would be higher if I didn't look at so many at once. Maybe do 20 or 30 a day instead of 200 or more.

Good luck. >>

Will do just bought one!
  • Options
    1996 TOPPS 195 DANTE BICHETTE 10
    1996 TOPPS 295 ED SPRAGUE 10
    1996 TOPPS 147 GREG VAUGHN 10
    1996 TOPPS 282 JEFF CIRILLO 10
    1996 TOPPS 309 MOISES ALOU 9
    1996 TOPPS 303 PEDRO MARTINEZ 10
    1996 TOPPS 158 HAL MORRIS 10
    1996 TOPPS 260 KIRT MANWARING 10
    1996 TOPPS 314 ANDY BENES 10
    1996 TOPPS 328 MARK PORTUGAL 10
    1996 TOPPS 352 RICK KRIVDA 10
    1996 TOPPS 217 KARIM GARCIA 10
    1996 TOPPS 334 CLIFF FLOYD 10
    1996 TOPPS 201 ROD BECK 9
    1996 TOPPS 268 BRIAN HUNTER 8

Last 1996 Poppage...Now 56% complete. Once my bulk submission I carried up to Cleveland is done I should be done save for 26 cards I can not find in decent shape.

As for issues I've ran into the sticking cards is still the worst...I've actually decided to abandon completing other 1990's sets to 100% (like the 97 & 98) that I had started after opening two sets in a row that are basically solid blocks of cards. Any hints for unsticking them? I'm all ears...FYI a week in the heat of the garage and a week in the freezer had no effect save destroying the end cards of my 1997 Block of Cards.
  • Options
    Better poppage. Is that with the magnifier?

I am not sure about the sticking. I am doing the 99 and 97 sets, and have had some terrible boxes, and some okay.
    "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    I was just using a magnifying glass and am now using a 40X Magnifying loupe that I got off of Amazon fairly cheap. It's perfect for checking the corners. The lower graded ones seem to have had other damage that I missed (mostly because of the sticking). The sticking could be a storage issue. Perhaps if it is always in a climate controlled environment they won't stick...either way the sets that I have broke from 1997 are mostly stuck together in giant chunks. I've had better luck with the 96 sets that come in the mini-cereal boxes than the traditional factory set. Of the 96 wax boxes I've broke (3 in all) all have been stuck together and were a waste of money.
  • Options
    Last Sub came back with (178) PSA 10's (8) PSA 9's and (1) PSA 8 I now sit at 90.07% Complete at a nice 9.84 It did take a lot of work sorting through and putting the lope to each card but in the end it made this sub results so much better.
    I noticed they added the NNO Tri-Jeter Card to the set...and they still have yet to grade my M. Mantle in Last Day Production Sleeve. Going to suggest they remove that from the set if they keep sending it back ungraded.
  • Options

<< <i>I was just using a magnifying glass and am now using a 40X Magnifying loupe that I got off of Amazon fairly cheap. It's perfect for checking the corners. The lower graded ones seem to have had other damage that I missed (mostly because of the sticking). The sticking could be a storage issue. Perhaps if it is always in a climate controlled environment they won't stick...either way the sets that I have broke from 1997 are mostly stuck together in giant chunks. I've had better luck with the 96 sets that come in the mini-cereal boxes than the traditional factory set. Of the 96 wax boxes I've broke (3 in all) all have been stuck together and were a waste of money. >>

94 Topps baseball is like that, bought some packs and a lot of cards stuck together.
  • Options
    I think most of the 1990 cards will be like that.
  • Options
    Just bumping this to see where you're at on it. I saw you said in an earlier post that you are at 90%, but I don't see it on the registry.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options

<< <i>Just bumping this to see where you're at on it. I saw you said in an earlier post that you are at 90%, but I don't see it on the registry. >>

Chief May has been banned from PSA and prohibited from posting by management for posting an open question that was considered derogatory to PSA by Management (I won't go into it). All of his sets were removed from PSA History, including this nearly completed 96 Topps Baseball Set. I'm just a friend who knows him...he's a little bitter but has moved on and is finishing the set with a different grading company. He told me to thank you for the bump as he still reads the boards.

R.R.
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response to my PM. image

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Contact him through Facebook he is on the PSA Fan page still (since Mr. Orlando doesn't control that) or PM me I'll send you his e-mail address.

Regards
    RR
  • Options
    Turn on your PM's. I don't have facebook. Or you could PM me his e-mail address.

Thanks,

Rob A.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options

1 Tony Gwynn STP PSA 10
    2 Mike Piazza STP PSA 10
    3 Greg Maddux STP PSA 10
    4 Jeff Bagwell STP PSA 10
    5 Larry Walker STP PSA 7
    6 Barry Larkin STP PSA 10
    7 Mickey Mantle PSA 10
    8 Tom Glavine STP PSA 10
    9 Craig Biggio STP PSA 10
    10 Barry Bonds STP PSA 10