Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Re-Live: 1969 Topps Baseball Issues

Last Fall I purchased a very unusual collection where the guy back in the day would buy a complete box at the store.
He'd very carefully open each pack, look at the cards once ........ remove the gum from the pack, and then
he'd place the cards back neatly in the original wrapping and place the re-wrapped packs back in the display box.
The over-all condition of the cards, because they were so lightly handled were really pretty nice.
These were all cards and issues from 1960 through 1972. About 40 some odd boxes worth.
Anyway, he was fairly heavy in late 1960's material and the 1969 Topps Baseball Issue in particular.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that is actively collecting 1969 Topps Baseball these days?
I really enjoyed collecting this set as a kid as its always been a favorite of Big Favorite of mine!
I'll try and throw up a few scans from my card room/ Man Cave.

I've been sending in some of the star cards for grading.
Have been pleased with the results.

Any others, please chime in with anything you may have 69 Topps Baseball related.
Many thanks!!
Kirk

Comments

• mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    I'll start with a few examples from the First Series.
    I dig this Series in particular because of the brighter pink grapefruit colored backs.
    A lot of real nice key cards in this 1rst Series.

• cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Kirk - I actively collect the '69 set. It was the first set that I collected as a kid. The kid cards are long gone but I enjoy working on a graded version today. You are right about Series 1. Lots of key cards and some difficult commons as well. They probably had to get the kids hooked early in the year. Very nice graded cards there and a nice box of unopened. Is that a long ago purchase? - Kevin M.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Kirk---I have done the 69 set, ungraded. Here is one of the tougher variants for that set

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Kevin,

The First Series Box above is just a display piece.
    The packs in it are rewraps, but I do like the way it looks sitting on my shelf.
    Probably best this way anyway, as I would be more than tempted if they were all
    legit unopened. I'm sure it would probably haunt me other wise.

If I may ask how far along are you with your registry set?

That Clemente Image is just The Best!!
    This is my all-time favorite Baseball Card.

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Wow this is beautiful. I am sick with jealousy. image
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    The 60s, including 69, were the golden years for Topps Insert and Test issues

Al
    Kirk - Some awesome pictures there. Very nice. General comments:

1. Makes sense about the re-wraps. A very, very nice display piece. A true unopened would create too many problems.

2. Interesting story about original owner. Pretty forward-looking. I just don't remember anyone at that time that viewed these things as anything but child's play. The ad that you scanned helps confirm this.

3. You seem to have some very nice raw cards there that should grade well. The Mantle checklist, Flood AS, Rose AS, Billy Williams, Shannon (if centered, very valuable), Horlen (fairly tough common), World Series cards are very tough in top condition.

4. I did have the decals as a kid but I do not collect them now. Used to put them on our metal lunchboxes. Should have kept the decals and lunchbox in better condition.... They just had a story on the decals in SMR a few months back.

5. My set is a whole..other..stury...1969 Topps Set
    I'm at just over 95%. Been at it for perhaps 10 years. I have a number of other sets as well, including a second '69 baseball. In general, I picked up the 7's very affordably, at or near market for the 8's and 9's. Many of the stars are mid-grade. Not the most valuable set but enjoyable to collect. I have concentrated a bit on the final series which has some nice cards. I know I never collected the high series as a kid. Once we were back at school, there were no more baseball cards for us.

6. Unfortunately, just had a bad '69 Topps eBay experience where I won a PSA 8 #476 for $10 at auction. Card has sold for between $10 and $40 on eBay. A tough common that somehow slipped through to me on a large set break sale. To no real surprise of mine, it was the one card (out of 14 that I won) that did not show up in the package. When it did not arrive, I immediately added it to my set. Lo and behold, the next day I get an automated request to remove the card from my inventory. Whoever inadvertently received the card elected to add it to their set. As the automated request is anonymous, I have no way of contacting person. I'm sure eBay seller will refund my $10. Big deal. Have not bid on an eBay auction since that auction. PSA has already removed the card from my inventory. The fact that I paid for it is apparently irrelevant. Takes the fun out of it. Spending my time on internet board instead.....

Thanks again for sharing your '69 collection, Kirk. Very enjoyable. - Kevin M.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

This has to be one of my all time favorite pics I have seen in my 8 years here. I love it!!!!!
    Kirk:

While the Clemente is a nice photo, I like the cards with an interesting background that tell something about the era.

The Bench is a great example with the Village Inn ad in the background. The company is still around - Village Inn

Bench looks like a Little League kid on a Saturday morning. Grass is still wet, hasn't combed his hair, can't get behind plate for picture since the plate is probably being used for it's intended purpose. One of my favorite cards.

Kevin
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    My God! Those pictures are awesome.

I have not been actively working on the set for awhile and still need around 200 cards to complete in EX to NR MT raw. They were the first packs I remember my brothers getting (I didn't start until 72 with my first pack in 71).

Mongo no go. Mongo stay with Kirk. Kirk first man ever whip Mongo into frenzy with pictures of 1969 cards. Mongo impressed. Have deep feelings for Kirk.

If you send me an empty box and a wrapper, I'll be your best friend.

I have a question for Kevin (or anyone else that works on 500+ card graded sets): Do you find storage and/or display is an issue? Do you keep a raw set in a binder to peruse? Do you keep all of the cards in order or do you keep some, say the HOF'ers, that you frequently enjoy looking at separate?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul - My actual storage boxes are bare bones. I use a medium Priority Mail box for 132 card sets. It fits three rows of 44 upright cards. Perhaps pathetically, I rubber band in groups of 11 which makes it very easy to track down a card. Works well with 264 and 528 card sets as well.

For 176 card sets, I use a 14 x 12 x 4 cardboard box. It fits 8 piles of 22 cards lying flat. For '69, I use 4 of these boxes. The eighth spot in last box is empty. I use it for a few of the variations.

I like to keep the cards in boxes and out of the light. The light over time cannot be good. Space is not too much of a problem. Weight is a bit of an issue. Best to keep them on floor or strong book shelf.

Kevin
    Thanks for posting to the thread guys!

Bishop, very nice inserts and Test Issues!
    You are right on the money, as Topps was doing a lot of experimenting back in 1969.
    That PSA 9 Mays Super ....... is well Super!

Kevin, I am guessing the kid, guy or gentleman that originally collected these cards
    was most likely older at the time.
    Not many kids that I knew were buying complete boxes of cards back in 1969.
    Placing the cards neatly back in the packs doesn't jive with any 10-12 year olds I was hanging around back then either.

I love the Deckle Set also.
    That is one very difficult set to find nicely centered cards.
    I am presently under the impression that the Deckles were first issued with the Second Series and went through the Third.
    Just wondering how that Jives with others thoughts here?

Here's a very cool item that got away from me a few years back.
    I really regret auctioning this item off.
    I kick myself everytime I see it, as it was truly A Thing Of Beauty!!!

By the way, these were all 1rst Series Packs.

• << <i>
    I am presently under the impression that the Deckles were first issued with the Second Series and went through the Third.
    Just wondering how that Jives with others thoughts here? >>

I have always wondered that myself. I have no idea which series it went to after the 2nd

Here's kind of a cool shot of some of the boxes.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Just wondering how that Jives with others thoughts here? >>

I have always wondered that myself. I have no idea which series it went to after the 2nd >>

Here are some prototype proof sheets for the 69 Deckle issue...only one player pictured made it into the set.

Al
    There is a back oddity for the Popovich as well as the well known fronts. On the Hargan, whenever that black dot between teams and League appears on the back, it appears on his neck on the front as well.
    There are some big differences in the colors on the backs. And finally, 4 cards that never were.

Al

Al
    Kirk - That nickel pack is pretty nice. I assume you got a good price.

Some nice raw cards in that latest pic. The #1 Yaz and the Banks look well-centered. The Peters is a decent common. I'm a little worried about the corner on that 1st Series Checklist however...

Bishop - The white letter Mantle in PSA 7 is a nice card. You rarely see that card in such a high grade.

Kirk - Nice collection of boxes. Are those filled with re-wrapped packs as well?
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing the 1969s back to the registry forum Kirk. This was the first graded set I completed on the registry. I started building it in 1983 and started submitted cards from it to PSA in 1999. I think I registered my partial set in 2001. At one time I was number 3 or 4 on the registry but I've slipped down to #8 as more 9s have hit the market in recent years. Getting to #1 was never my goal though. I'll try to post some scans of my favorites tonight.
    "I'll try to post some scans of my favorites tonight."
    That would be great if you could swing that John.
    I'll certainly be looking forward to that it.
    Would love to see some of your Gems!

Bishop,
    A lot of very cool stuff.
    That Near Mint White Letter Mantle is a Beauty!!

Kevin,
    The display boxes were all full of raw cards, some loose and some re-wrapped.
    I went through all of them and the cards and wrappers are now seperated.
    Some of the nicer examples have been submitted to PSA.
    They brought back some pretty decent grades.

Here's a insert that you don't see very often.
    These were inserted into select packs of the first series announcing that the Deckles Inserts Were Soon On The Way!

• TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mojorob for sharing, brings back some great memories. Thanks to Bishop as well, for showing a pic. of the "blackless" variation of the Pirates rookies. I've been trying to find one of those. Tough card.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
    Here are some of my favorites. Still looking for a Seaver without a tilt!

• svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    I also have a liking for the "69" Topps cards , here are some of my favorites !

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    This post is so incredible I kept waiting for the inevitable moment when you announced that you were just messing with us. Fantastic purchase.
    Is the basketball box 1969 or 1970? How were they?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    John & Doug, WOW ....... Just Fantastic Examples!!!!

Crazy Nice Stuff.
    Thanks very much to the both of you for posting these up.
    Just a Pleasure to be able to Check These Out!

Beautiful Cards.

Here's a few of "The Mick"

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Can the photos get any better? I am in serious card envy. I hope you "got" the "Blazing Saddles" Mongo quote with your name substituted for Sherriff Bart.

Bishop - regarding the 3 Popoviches, I give up! What are the differences?

Thanks.
    George--Those 3 are listed in most 1969 variation checklists, although the PSA Registry master checklist has only 2 ( emblem visible or not). The airbrush blot on his helmet differs noticeably in density and or shape. The Peranoski from this set has a similar variant

Al

Al
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The airbrush blot on his helmet differs noticeably in density and or shape. >>

Thank God. I was thinking it was the varying amount of stubble he has in each version, and the mole he has on the left hand version. Seriously.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    You have a keen eye for detail Michael. You would make a great variations guy image

Al
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    mojo, you are a monster and i hate you. image

bought & sold this set many times over.....right now i'm back to the slow, pleasurable process of finding & accumulating more nice examples.

these scans here in this thread are quite simply a feast......here's a couple faves from mine which still occupy prime positions in my stash.

Reggie is currently in a NM+ 7.5 holder - looks pretty good raw, no? maybe i'll take him back out.

toughest of the toughies, about the best centered one i could ever find.

and here's my favest of all, perhaps a date with a review sometime.....maybe make gemint jealous, too (wink, nudge)

thanks for letting me share in your thread. i love this set. image
  • That Seaver is ridiculously NICE!
  • svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    That Seaver looks like a no brainer PSA 8.5 !!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
    That is One Fine "Tom Terrific" Ya Got There Itza !!!!!

Honestly, I can't ever remember seeing a nicer example for the grade.
    Heck I've seen a few PSA 9's that easily take a back seat to that.
    How Sweet & Tough That Truly Is!

There really have been some INCREDIBLE conditioned examples, posted up to this thread.
    You could look years and I'm sure many of us have and not find finer examples of some of these cards.

Guys, Thnks one and all for posting them up.
    Great Stuff!!

A few weeks back I had a PSA Submission that I was really very pleased with.
    Here's the 69 Topps Baseball portion of it.
    Needless to say, this segment alone made me very happy.

73 1 21402663 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 390 BILL FREEHAN Card
    74 1 21402664 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 20 ERNIE BANKS Card
    75 1 21402665 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1969 TOPPS 50 BOB CLEMENTE Card
    76 1 21402666 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 15 BOOG POWELL Card
    78 1 21402668 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 150 DENNY McLAIN Card
    79 1 21402669 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 170 FRANK HOWARD Card
    80 1 21402670 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 180 WILLIE HORTON Card
    81 1 21402671 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 190 WILLIE MAYS Card
    82 1 21402672 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 200 BOB GIBSON Card
    83 1 21402673 GEM MINT 10 1969 TOPPS 220 SAM McDOWELL Card
    84 1 21402674 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 235 CATFISH HUNTER Card
    85 1 21402675 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 255 STEVE CARLTON Card
    86 1 21402676 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 295 TONY PEREZ Card
    87 1 21402677 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 350 RICHIE ALLEN Card
    88 1 21402678 EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1969 TOPPS 375 HARMON KILLEBREW Card
    89 1 21402679 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1969 TOPPS 400 DON DRYSDALE Card
    90 1 21402680 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 410 AL KALINE Card
    91 1 21402681 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 440 WILLIE McCOVEY LAST NAME IN YELLOW Card
    92 1 21402682 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 450 BILLY WILLIAMS Card
    93 1 21402683 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 470 MEL STOTTLEMYRE LAST NAME IN YELLOW Card
    94 1 21402684 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 550 BROOKS ROBINSON Card
    95 1 21402685 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 570 RON SANTO Card
    96 1 21402686 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 573 JIM PALMER Card
    97 1 21402687 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 600 TONY OLIVA Card
    98 1 21402688 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1969 TOPPS 630 BOBBY BONDS ALL-STAR ROOKIE Card
    99 1 21402689 MINT 9 1969 TOPPS 640 FERGIE JENKINS Card

I wish my scanner was better, I really have to work on that!

Great sub kirk!

Itza, I am jealous of that Seaver. That's one of the nicest looking 8s I've seen. The only one that approaches it in terms of no tilt is the original one I had in my set. Unfortunately it was a misgrade in that PSA didn't notice that someone had scribbled on the surface with an empty pen. It made scribble indentations. I was bummed but had to sell it back to them because it really wasn't an 8.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    OMG, hast came across this thread. Would love to have one of those boxes (empty) for display purposes. One of the coolest looking Topps boxes, IMO.