Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Topps Basketball thread

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a '57 thread and didn't find one, so here goes...
I'm working on a '57 set in a straight PSA 6.
Here's a link to my set:

'57 set

Tom

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    That is a very difficult mission. I am slowly working on the set in mid grade, when I can get them at prices I am comfortable with.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I'm working on this set too... slowly.

I need another 7 cards for my set. I have quite a few 8 o/c and 7 o/c cards in my set.
    I'm trying to get them all to PSA 6/7 holders with no qualifiers. Also looking to get many
    of the HOF'ers in the set in PSA 7's, if at all possible.

Great set. A real classic.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Great set recball.

I know the 48 bowman has Mikan but this set mey be the all time classic.

I am doing just the rc hofers and a few I have are oc. This set may be the most condition sensitive set (of any cards) right out of the wrapper of all time !!!!!!!

Centered psa 8's get a good premium. 6's are the best value.

Looking forward to some card postings guys.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Nice set and thanks for starting this thread. My set is complete and on the registry as aro13. It is 11th on the current finest, with all PSA 7's except #1 Nat Clifton which I have in a PSA 5. I have tried to upgrade the Clifton but either end up short with my bid or never like the centering enough to pull the trigger. I finished this set a while ago, and found the most difficult cards to be the #62 Gallatin and #79 Ed Fleming in PSA 7. I cannot imagine trying to find this set in all 8, with the centering and print flaws, but I guess there are 4 sets that are all 8 or better.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    My 1957 Topps set is up for auction at Huggins and Scott, (ends 08/06):

'57 set
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    i recently finished this set myself.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Beast of a set. I'm slowly picking away at mine. Trying to complete it in PSA 8.

Link
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Were you happy with the results? It looks like the 57 Topps set sold right around VCP averages per card with the buyers premium.
  • Options
    Anybody want to trade? I am working on sets in several conditions, raw and graded.
    I need low grade commons and high grade stars, and have both available in the right trade.
    Gregmo32@aol or pm
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I have these cards to sell or trade:

• Options
    Do you have a need list for 1957s?
  • Options
    Hi Greg,
    Here's a link to my set:link
    I'm looking for raw or graded cards to finish the set, cards should be PSA 6 or 7, or the equivalent raw grade.
    Thanks,
    Duane
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I am not collecting the set, but this thread needs some Russell.

• Options
    That is an awesome Russell rookie, best of the grade, and probably better than many 5's floating out there. Nice work!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    greetings!! I started this set when I got divorced 6 years ago. 1st nite in my new apt. I picked up some 6s and 5s. SLOWLY inching my way to all PSA-7s and 8s. I was wondering who kept outbidding me on the PSA-8s guess it was BBCemporium--dang--you have some nice sets man!!!

here is a link to my set--needing only the Russel in PSA-7. Not too long ago Heritage had a PSA-8 Russell that I tried REAL hard to get. Was outbid at $15K --thank GOD!! I was drinking Johnny Black that nite and thankfully passed out before the end of the auction otherwise I may have won it. Anyone know who got it??

mams '57 basketball set
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great set you've put together, FlatFoot. The only thing missing...is scans. Hop on that! image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    i only need 2 graded cards to finish my psa set, cliff hagan and clyde lovelette, but all the bay ones are super over priced
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I picked up 5 PSA-8s last nite from probstein. Hopefully they arrive!

when I do I'll get the set from the SD box and scan the pics.

looking for a lead on a PSA-7 Russell