Home PSA Set Registry Forum

All Time Brewers Set

Was surprised not to see one. I am hoping I did not miss it and will make a fool out of myself here.

Catcher - Ted Simmons
1B Cecil Cooper and Prince Fielder
2B Jim Gantner
SS Robin Yount
3B Paul Molitor
OF - Ben Ogilvie, Geoff Jenkins, Gorman Thomas and Ryan Braun
Pitcher(s) Rollie Fingers

If you really want to keep the team selective you could remove Jenkins and Ogilvie.

What do you think? Did I miss anyone? I don't think there was one dominant starting pitcher for the Brewers, ever. Caldwell maybe but no one that I would put in the set.

Comments

• Don Money has got to be in there somewhere and in my humble opinion, Surhoff was pretty solid during the beginning of his career as a catcher where Simmons' best years were earlier with the 'Cards before he came on with the Brewers...just saying.
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Scarlem21Scarlem21 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    Chris Bosio?
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Honorary DH : Hank Aaron.
    George Scott was great at 1b for five years but is probably the third best in Brewers history.

Starting pitchers: Slaton, Higuera, Caldwell, Sheets.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Pete Vuckovich would make a lot of sense as SP.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see PSA do a Brewers Set Registry. Have to add a few more players to really make it worth it, but it would be fun.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    This site could help you:

link
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    BJ Surhoff -- had 400 more hits than Simmons @ catcher.
    Agree that Don Money deserves a spot.

Pitching: Teddy Higuera, Mike Caldwell and Jim Slaton (all-time wins, shutouts), and Don Plesac (all-time saves)
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about your all-time save leader Dan Pleasac?
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Brewers fan. I'd be all in if this set was added to the registry. Hopefully the OP has requested it.
  • I would be in also. Would Sixto Lezcano qualify? I know he was a fan favorite in the late 70's

<< <i>I would be in also. Would Sixto Lezcano qualify? I know he was a fan favorite in the late 70's >>

Sixto is the only player in history to hit a grand slam on Opening Day twice.

Nuff said. He should be in the registry
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

• Anybody still want to do this?
    I'd still love to do this set. I have no idea how to get a set like this added to the registry however. If someone gets this going i'll be the first to register.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I don't do Baseball cards but this set I would. I think there needs to be a lengthy discussion before we open it up. If needed, I will suggest it once we come up with the list.
  • I agree about the discussion and would think that these players would be locks
    to be in it.

1B Cecil Cooper and Prince Fielder
    2B Jim Gantner
    SS Robin Yount
    3B Paul Molitor
    OF Gorman Thomas
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    nice - i usually only do football too but this one looks like fun. i'm also doing a yount RC collection - you guys know if he has any other cards from 75 other than these?

1975 topps
    1975 topps mini
    1975 hostess
    1975 opc
    1975 sspc
    duplicate post...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
    From the St. Paul Pioneer Press today:

St. Paul native Paul Molitor has made the all-time starting lineups for both the Twins and Milwaukee Brewers, as chosen by About.com/baseball.

For the Twins, the lineup is: 1. Rod Carew, 1B; 2. Paul Molitor, DH; 3. Kirby Puckett, CF; 4. Harmon Killebrew, 3B; 5. Joe Mauer, C; 6. Tony Oliva, RF; 7. Larry Hisle, LF; 8. Chuck Knoblauch, 2B; 9. Zoilo Versalles, SS. Starting pitcher: Johan Santana.

For the Brewers: 1. Molitor, DH; 2. Robin Yount, SS; 3. Ryan Braun, 3B; 4. Prince Fielder, 1B; 5. Ben Ogilvie, LF; 6. Gorman Thomas, CF; 7. Sixto Lezcano, RF; 8. Ted Simmons, C; 9. Rickie Weeks, 2B. Starting pitcher, Mike Caldwell.Text

I would agree with this list, but replace Richie Weeks with Jim Ganter & I'd find an alternative to Sixto Lezcano, & put Ryan Braun in the other OF spot.. I'd also put Jim Slaton as the SP due to records...

For the record, I'd replace the Twins rosters with Greg Gagne @ SS for Versalles & find a replacement for Larry Hisle...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
    Here's my list of Brewer players that I think would be good in the set. This is without any thought as to their position. Just based on all time stats and fan favorites.

POSITION PLAYERS

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Sixto Lezcano
    Cecil Cooper
    Jeff Cirillo (I always thought he was an awesome player)
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton
    Ben Sheets
    Dan Plesac
    Mike Caldwell
    Rollie Fingers

ADDITIONAL PLAYERS/MANAGERS/ANNOUNCERS

Hank Aaron (I know he was more of a Braves great, but its Hank Aaron)
    Harvey Kuenn (Best winning percentage for a Brewers manager and got them to there only world series)
    Bob Uecker (Long time Brewer announcer. Who doesn't love Bob Uecker)

Well that's what I came up with let me know what you think.
    Bump to the top. Lets keep this discussion going and get this set requested. Any other input on players that belong?
  • I like this list minus Crillo, Higuera, Sheets and Pleasic. I agree with others that Don Money should be included.

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Sixto Lezcano
    Cecil Cooper
    Jeff Cirillo (I always thought he was an awesome player)
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton
    Ben Sheets
    Dan Plesac
    Mike Caldwell
    Rollie Fingers

Let's make it happen

I also agree with others that Don Money should be included. I'm ok with Cirillo and Plesac not making the list, but I still think Ben Sheets and Teddy Higuera should be on it.

Higuera has the highest career era at 3.61, 3rd in wins at 94, and 2nd in strikeouts with a 1081.
    Sheets has the 3rd highest era at 3.72, 5th in wins at 86, and number 1 in strikeout with 1206.

So now my list looks like this.

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Sixto Lezcano
    Cecil Cooper
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie
    Don Money

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton
    Ben Sheets
    Mike Caldwell
    Rollie Fingers

• << <i>I also agree with others that Don Money should be included. I'm ok with Cirillo and Plesac not making the list, but I still think Ben Sheets and Teddy Higuera should be on it.

Higuera has the highest career era at 3.61, 3rd in wins at 94, and 2nd in strikeouts with a 1081.
    Sheets has the 3rd highest era at 3.72, 5th in wins at 86, and number 1 in strikeout with 1206.

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Sixto Lezcano
    Cecil Cooper
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie
    Don Money

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton
    Ben Sheets
    Mike Caldwell
    Rollie Fingers >>

Looks good to me. We will need to find out recognised rookies of the newer guys. Fielders is the 2005 UPPER DECK REFLECTIONS, I think.

<< <i>I also agree with others that Don Money should be included. I'm ok with Cirillo and Plesac not making the list, but I still think Ben Sheets and Teddy Higuera should be on it.

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Sixto Lezcano (cannot be part of this set, yes he was a fan favorite but his on the field work does not garner inclusion)
    Cecil Cooper
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie
    Don Money

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton (on the fence, I do not believe he should be included)
    Ben Sheets (Iffy here too)
    Mike Caldwell (had a couple of great years but again, I don't he belongs here)
    Rollie Fingers >>

Well Sixto Lezcano and Mike caldwell I could do without also. They could always be added to the set later on if there's demand for them. However I still think Ben Sheets and Jim Slaton have to be part of this. Sheets is the all time strikeout leader and Slaton the all time wins leader. That's good enough for me. Unfortunately the Brewers havn't had a lot of dominant pitchers to add so this is what we got.

Here's the list again with the 2 deletions talked about above.

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Cecil Cooper
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie
    Don Money

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton
    Ben Sheets
    Rollie Fingers

So far as cards to be added to the set goes I think it should be the players first card in a Brewers uniform. So for example Cecil Coopers rookie wouldn't count it would be his 1978 Topps card. I have no idea about any of the newer guys rookie cards. We would have to find a reference as to their first recognized rookie card.
    I like the idea of first Brewers card as well.

I suppose I could check but what do the other teams have in them? Rookies or first pictured?

I would be in favor of a few more players. George Scott was really good on some bad teams. Even Richie Sexson.

Not many pitchers but I agree Sheets should be in.

Cecil Cooper should only be included once. Even though he was my favorite.

Mike Caldwell was a 20 game winner and won 2 World Series games. Seems to me he should be included.

Shawn

<< <i>I like the idea of first Brewers card as well.

I suppose I could check but what do the other teams have in them? Rookies or first pictured?

I would be in favor of a few more players. George Scott was really good on some bad teams. Even Richie Sexson.

Not many pitchers but I agree Sheets should be in.

Cecil Cooper should only be included once. Even though he was my favorite.

Mike Caldwell was a 20 game winner and won 2 World Series games. Seems to me he should be included.

Shawn >>

The Brewers have only been around 42 years or so. Their All Time set cannot include the good but not great players. This is where George Scott, and almost all of our pitchers are. If we start with too many C and B players these set is going to be watered down. I think started more EXCLUSIVE to begin with is the best idea.

<< <i>

The Brewers have only been around 42 years or so. Their All Time set cannot include the good but not great players. This is where George Scott, and almost all of our pitchers are. If we start with too many C and B players these set is going to be watered down. I think started more EXCLUSIVE to begin with is the best idea. >>

I understand that. But George Scott was a 5 time gold glove winner. All the other Brewers combined for the last 42 years have only won 4. Sometimes I think that gets missed with Boomer.

Just like putting Rollie Fingers on the list. Most fans forget he did not pitch in the 1982 World Series. He also missed all of 1983 with an injury. He was fantastic in 1981. But only 4 seasons played and he is on the all time list (His last season he was terrible)? Yes he was MVP and Cy Young. But Vuke pitched for parts of 5 seasons with the Crew and won a CY Young and is not on the list.

I am fine without George Scott. And with Fingers being part of the list.

But then Jim Gantner should be off. He never even made an All Star team. He was a good player for a long time. Also a local guy, but that is it.

Shawn

Well it seems like we're starting to spin on wheels a little bit here. I don't want this thread to lose momentum and stop. So i'm going to put this list of players up again and if anyone has any very strong objections to a particular player on the list please post as to specifically who you want removed. We need to get something requested to PSA so the process can start with them adding the set. After reading their rules on this type of set it's up to us what cards get added. We can have every players rookie card, just the players first appearance in the Brewers uniform, or any card of a specific player. After the set goes online and people register they can request player additions at that time. PSA will then send out an email to all participants in the set and the majority vote decides if a player should be added or not. So if your on the fence about any player in this list lets remove them now. They can always get added later.

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie
    Don Money

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton
    Ben Sheets
    Rollie Fingers

<< <i>Well it seems like we're starting to spin on wheels a little bit here. I don't want this thread to lose momentum and stop. So i'm going to put this list of players up again and if anyone has any very strong objections to a particular player on the list please post as to specifically who you want removed. We need to get something requested to PSA so the process can start with them adding the set. After reading their rules on this type of set it's up to us what cards get added. We can have every players rookie card, just the players first appearance in the Brewers uniform, or any card of a specific player. After the set goes online and people register they can request player additions at that time. PSA will then send out an email to all participants in the set and the majority vote decides if a player should be added or not. So if your on the fence about any player in this list lets remove them now. They can always get added later.

Cecil Cooper
    Jim Gantner
    Robin Yount
    Paul Molitor
    Gorman Thomas
    Prince Fielder
    Ryan Braun
    Geoff Jenkins
    Ben Ogilvie
    Don Money

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera
    Jim Slaton
    Ben Sheets
    Rollie Fingers >>

Next up is gathering a list of cards then.
    So first Brewer card or RC?

I prefer Brewer card as I do not want a 1973 San Diego Padres Mike Caldwell or a 1969 Phillies Rookie Stars Don Money. I am not real interested in the 1969 Rookie Stars Rollie Fingers cards either

But it would be nice to have the 1972 Cooper/Fisk rookie.

I like the idea of the 1981 Topps Traded Fingers being part of the set.

How difficult should this be? Sixto Lezcano only has 4 graded 1975 SSPC cards. But lots of his 1976 Topps. He also had a 1972 Puerto Rican League Sticker but only 3 have been graded and the highest grade is 6.

My preference is first Brewer card from a major card company. No Puerto Rican League Stickers or SSPC or Hostess.

Shawn

I agree with you. I think it should be the players first Brewer card from a mainstream company. That 81 Traded Fingers looks awesome. Time to start shopping.
    Alright I did some research on the players and got a list of there first cards that they appeared in a Brewers uniform. I could use some help on the 4 modern cards. I have no idea what cards are considered their rookies. Thanks

Cecil Cooper 1978 Topps #154
    Jim Gantner 1977 Topps #494
    Robin Yount 1975 Topps #223
    Paul Molitor 1978 Topps #707
    Gorman Thomas 1974 Topps #288
    Prince Fielder NEED HELP HERE
    Ryan Braun NEED HELP HERE
    Geoff Jenkins NEED HELP HERE
    Ben Ogilvie 1979 Topps #519
    Don Money 1973 Topps #386

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera 1985 Topps Traded #53T
    Jim Slaton 1972 Topps #744
    Ben Sheets NEED HELP HERE
    Rollie Fingers 1981 Topps Traded #761

<< <i>Alright I did some research on the players and got a list of there first cards that they appeared in a Brewers uniform. I could use some help on the 4 modern cards. I have no idea what cards are considered their rookies. Thanks

Cecil Cooper 1978 Topps #154
    Jim Gantner 1977 Topps #494
    Robin Yount 1975 Topps #223
    Paul Molitor 1978 Topps #707
    Gorman Thomas 1974 Topps #288
    Prince Fielder NEED HELP HERE - 2005 UD Reflections #265
    Ryan Braun NEED HELP HERE - 2005 Topps Chrome #198
    Geoff Jenkins NEED HELP HERE -1996 Bowman's Best #136
    Ben Ogilvie 1979 Topps #519
    Don Money 1973 Topps #386

PITCHERS

Teddy Higuera 1985 Topps Traded #53T
    Jim Slaton 1972 Topps #744
    Ben Sheets NEED HELP HERE 2000 SP Pros and Prospects #151 - in a Olympic uniform but says Brewers on the front #'d to 1600 or 2000 Topps traded #T10
    Rollie Fingers 1981 Topps Traded #761 >>

I was just looking at the sets that have been requested and saw that the all time Brewers set was already on the list. Who submitted the request for it? Was it somebody on this thread? Just wondering what players, cards, and weightings were submitted to them.

<< <i>I was just looking at the sets that have been requested and saw that the all time Brewers set was already on the list. Who submitted the request for it? Was it somebody on this thread? Just wondering what players, cards, and weightings were submitted to them. >>

Where do you find sets that have been requested? And who requested it? And what is in it?

Shawn

• << <i>I was just looking at the sets that have been requested and saw that the all time Brewers set was already on the list. Who submitted the request for it? Was it somebody on this thread? Just wondering what players, cards, and weightings were submitted to them. >>

Was not me. Somebody didnt care about this thread.

<< <i>

<< <i>I was just looking at the sets that have been requested and saw that the all time Brewers set was already on the list. Who submitted the request for it? Was it somebody on this thread? Just wondering what players, cards, and weightings were submitted to them. >>

Where do you find sets that have been requested? And who requested it? And what is in it?

Shawn >>

If you look at the set request page on PSA's website they have a list of all that they are in the process of adding. I don't think anyone on this thread requested it so I guess we all are just gonna have to wait and see what we get. The discussion we had appears to have been for nothing.
    I found it. It will be interesting to see what cards are in the set.

Bummer, I kind of liked the list we had going.

Shawn

Well that stinks. Lets see what is listed once it comes out.
    I requested this set about 2 weeks ago:

1971-1979 Topps Decade of Brewers

I see it is now on the list of requested sets. Hope a few of you give this one a try also. I know I will.

Shawn

<< <i>I requested this set about 2 weeks ago:

I see it is now on the list of requested sets. Hope a few of you give this one a try also. I know I will.

Shawn >>

I was just snooping through your registry sets and it looks like your already well on your way to completing this run. Thats quite an accomplishment. I'm impressed. I don't think i'll be going after this set. I have to many other projects going right now and a 1970's run of around 300 Brewers cards just intimidates me. image

<< <i>I requested this set about 2 weeks ago:

Shawn >>

I won't be hitting this one because I am a football card collector but a huge Brewer fan. Maybe, just maybe if I get a bug up my butt I would do an 80's Brewer set.
    The 1971-1979 Topps Decade of Brewers set posted and I entered my cards yesterday.

Starting at 83.46% complete. Weighted GPA of 8.17. I am doing the 1971's in PSA 7 or higher and the rest of the years PSA 8 or higher.

I will not be trying to have the highest grade. I will try to have 100% completion.

Shawn

I am going to submit a Braun card to get a jump start to this set.

Do I send Topps Update or Topps Chrome Update? Or something completely different.

Any ideas?

Shawn

Are you read to VOMIT? I asked PSA for the requested cards. Here is the list - Dear Lord, my stomach is hurting.

Cecil Cooper  1972 Topps 79
    Jim Gantner 1977 Topps 494
    Robin Yount 1975 Topps 223
    Paul Molitor 1978 Topps 707
    Gorman Thomas 1974 Topps 288
    Prince Fielder 2005 Upper Deck Reflections 265
    Ryan Braun  2005 Topps Updates UH313
    Sixto Lezcano 1976 Topps 353
    Jeff Cirillo 1994 Stadium Club 699
    Geoff Jenkins 1996 Bowmans Best 136
    Ben Ogilvie 1972 Topps 761
    Teddy Higuera 1985 Topps Traded 53T
    Jim Slaton 1972 Topps 744
    Ben Sheets 2000 Bowman Chrome 207
    Dan Plesac 1986 Fleer Update U90
    Mike Caldwell 1973 Topps 182
    Rollie Fingers 1969 Topps 597
    B.J. Surhoff 1987 Topps 216
    Ted Simmons 1971 Topps 117
    Jeremy Burnitz 1991 Bowman 474
    Pete Vuckovich 1977 Topps 517
    Chris Bosio 1987 Topps 448
    Moose Haas 1978 Topps 649
    Don Money 1969 Topps 454
    George Scott 1966 Topps 558
    Darrell Porter 1972 Topps 162
    Mike Fetters 1990 Donruss 35
    Bob Wickman 1991 Bowman 353
    Bill Wegman 1986 Topps Traded 123T
    Well I am really not interested in a bunch of those cards.

Who wants a 1987 Bosio?

This is dumb. Should have been first Brewer card. I do not want Don Money in Phillies uniform. I really did not want Don Money in this set at all.

The Ben Sheets card in another weird choice. Why Bowman Chrome?

I will take my time to evaluate. Can't say I won't do it. I have a bunch already. But I probably will not go hard after it.

Shawn

The set requested stinks. I am thinking of creating the set we want below but calling at something different than All-Time since this one sucked it up. What do you think for a set name?

Here is who I think should be removed from the set that is requested or need a different card. Holy cow does this set suck.

Cecil Cooper 1972 Topps 79 - need Brewer Card
    Ryan Braun 2005 Topps Updates UH313 - is this the right card?????
    Sixto Lezcano 1976 Topps 353 - Remove
    Jeff Cirillo 1994 Stadium Club 699 - Remove
    Ben Ogilvie 1972 Topps 761 - Need Brewer Card
    Ben Sheets 2000 Bowman Chrome 207 - Need different Card
    Dan Plesac 1986 Fleer Update U90 - Remove
    Mike Caldwell 1973 Topps 182 - Remove
    Rollie Fingers 1969 Topps 597 - Need Brewer Card
    B.J. Surhoff 1987 Topps 216 - Remove
    Ted Simmons 1971 Topps 117 - Remove
    Jeremy Burnitz 1991 Bowman 474 - Remove - really Burnitz?
    Pete Vuckovich 1977 Topps 517 - Remove
    Chris Bosio 1987 Topps 448 - Remove
    Moose Haas 1978 Topps 649 - Remove
    Don Money 1969 Topps 454 - Remove
    George Scott 1966 Topps 558 - Remove
    Darrell Porter 1972 Topps 162 - Remove
    Mike Fetters 1990 Donruss 35 - Remove
    Bob Wickman 1991 Bowman 353 - Remove
    Bill Wegman 1986 Topps Traded 123T - Remove
    A bunch of cards/players in that set suck!!! Mike Fetters? Give me a break. I wish I knew who came up with that set. Maybe some sense could have been talked into them. Please request a different set under a different name. I also will do this set, but may not complete it due to some of the crappy cards in it.

Maybe an (All Time Brewers in Brewers uniform) set can be requested.