Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Grading Wax Wrappers

I would like to see PSA Grade & Slab both sports & non-sport Wax Wrappers.

Would anyone here be interested in such a grading service?

Has PSA ever considered doing this?
30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me

Comments

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    They've graded and slabbed a 1968 3-d wrapper

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    As a wrapper collector, I would love them to do this. There is such a discrepancy with the quality of most wrappers, either on rips/tears or on centering. I think it would be challenging to find PSA 10 wrappers (given they were not off a roll).
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They've graded and slabbed a 1968 3-d wrapper >>

How cool is that! image

Edited to say: It isn't mine. It seemed like the yellow round man with the sunglasses was implying that it was. That is all.
  • Options
    I have two GAI graded hockey wrappers on ebay right now. I was thinking the same thing... how could there ever be gem mint 10 wrapper. GAI I know will not grade wrappers off the roll because they were never on a pack.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Here's the 68 3-d wrapper, page 124. I may have mislead you, it's graded authentic, John

1968 PSA graded wrapper

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    So if PSA did it once, why not offer the service? I have approx. 150 Wax Wrappers I would send in for grading.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    I'd like to see it so I can add the wrappers to my master sets or complete a wrapper set.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Really good idea. I think this would be a great alternative for collectors wanting to display the colorfullness and history of the hobby without having to buy the actual packs. Nobody can afford say a 52 topps pack nowadays but a couple hundred for the wrapper, people would dig it.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    ndwsndws Posts: 132 ✭✭
    I had asked them about wrappers maybe a year or so ago, and they told me no dice then. I personally would really like it if they would. I'm working (very slowly) on a psa set of 1952 Parkhurst Frostade cards, and I've had one of those cardboard wrappers for as long as I can remember. That would be a really cool add to the set if they would grade it as authentic.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Joe said no dice on pack grading in '04, but things change. Has anyone written him directly? He's always been very responsive and accessible.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    that would be pretty sweet.. if there was wrapper grading..

i have a 1951 parkhurst hockey wrapper and would love to find something to protect it..

im pretty sure if more people ask for it.. it would eventually happen wouldnt it?
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    that would be a pretty good idea. and they could also set up a registry set for people.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I'd love to get my '68T wrapper graded by PSA some day. I also found a '60s Batman wrapper in a Golden Book that'd look great in a PSA slab. I've got one heck of a run of colorful wrappers mostly from the '80s in a 3-ring binder -- sports and non-sports. It's fun looking through it!

Please, PSA??! image
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    It would be a good idea even if they just graded the wrappers as authentic instead of a number grade. They should also mark the wrapper with something invisible so if someone cracks the slab and resubmits it to PSA as a pack they could easily tell it is a fake.
  • Options
    You know, if they were to put one of those type of PSA/DNA stickers on the back of the wrapper (like they do with autographed things) I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were going to grade authentic. As long as the sticker couldn't be removed (like it would leave a little foil imprint if someone tried or something).
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    I think the wrappers would look awesome in a slab. I have quite a few older ones sitting in a 5x7 or 6x9 (one of the two) photo binder and they look pretty good in there. It would be nice to have them slabbed.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I just purchased a Goudey Sportsking Wrapper and I am fully on the grade the wrappers band wagon. Honestly it makes as much sense to me to grade the wrappers as ticket stubs. Also, it would help the value of unopened packs because you would automatically have a market for your wrapper if you decide to bust.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a couple beautiful vintage hockey wrappers at the National and decided to do a little research and resurrect this thread.

Looks to me like the 68 3D wrapper is the only wrapper that's ever been slabbed (per the pop report). Does anyone know if this means PSA will slab wax wrappers? Obviously there are no current PSA grading standards for wrappers, but I'd be happy to have mine slabbed as authentic. Any feedback would be most appreciated!
    Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    I agree this is a great idea
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    they don't have a holder. It would be rather silly to try to fold a wrapper up like it was still a pack and stick it in the pack holder like they did with the 3d wrapper that was graded. That looks completely stupid to me but what do I know.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i> That looks completely stupid to me but what do I know. >>

Not much!!image
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to see PSA come out with a Wrapper holder and grading service. I'd prefer grades over just Authentic. Although, I'd take Authentic over nothing at all.
    I'd also prefer to have the wrappers unfolded and lay flat, rather than folded up.

There's quite a few people that collect wrappers, and even though the initial die cost for PSA wouldn't be cheap, it seems like it could be a profitable new revenue source for them.
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd also like to see PSA come out with a Wrapper holder and grading service. I'd prefer grades over just Authentic. Although, I'd take Authentic over nothing at all.
    I'd also prefer to have the wrappers unfolded and lay flat, rather than folded up.

There's quite a few people that collect wrappers, and even though the initial die cost for PSA wouldn't be cheap, it seems like it could be a profitable new revenue source for them. >>

It would be nice. Of course, they would then have to make sure they're capable of authenticating wrappers, as fakes of certain high profile wrappers have been a problem.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They've graded and slabbed a 1968 3-d wrapper >>

How cool is that! image

Edited to say: It isn't mine. It seemed like the yellow round man with the sunglasses was implying that it was. That is all. >>

But your own wrapper is pretty cool anyway Bob, although your complete set of the cards is even more cool ( or is it cooler)
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al