Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My first submission results !!!!!!

I sent in 5 cards on the SMR coupon last month (thanks Mike!).

I sent in 4 1965 topps commons, and a 1953 topps Whitey Ford.

The Ford was a borderline 5/6 and my first vintage purchase over 13 years ago. It got a 6, which made me very happy.

On to the 4 commons. I got a 7, two 8s, and a 9!! Very very pumped about the 9!

The 7 had only 4 total cards graded, so I was rolling the dice against the pop report. The two 8s were expected.

The 9 is CHICO SALMON and he is now one of my favorite players image

Anyway, 5 cards is pretty small potatos to some folks, but I am thrilled. Thanks to everyone on the boards that have answered my questions and offered encouragement.

Brian
Where have you gone Dave Vargha
CU turns its lonely eyes to you
What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
hey hey hey

Comments

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Very solid job psa'65!

I know what you mean about the Salmon card. Every time I pull a high grade on a common I start lobbying for their election to the HOF. image
  • Options
    Congrats "65" I have yet to get a 9 on my set without buying one, but I havent sent in alot for my set, thus far. Have sent 5 cards so far myself, got a 7, 3 8's, and an 8(OC). Just sent another 20 along with other 70's cards I hope to simply profit on to help pay for my set image Hope I have better luck next time.....

PS my set began on Dec 20, 2001 and have just started hoping to be 25% 7 or better by years end.
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Congrats!
    you done good!
    imageimage
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Congrats Brian!

Yeah - the 9's will pump you up every time. My submission totals are closing in on 5,000 but I still get a rush when I type in the invoice number and the grades pop up. Then, when you start scanning down the invoice and see the 9's come in to view, it really is sweet.

Now you have to get a 10!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Last year I submitted 11000 cards. I only received 4-10's so there really tough to come by. They were 1968 Reds Team, 1976 NL HR Ldrs, 1969 Joe Rudi, and 1972 Commissioners Award.
  • Options
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Sorry about the double post.

Gaspipe - you submitted 11,000 cards? What kind of Christmas gift did PSA send you?

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    FB

It really is a rush isn't it?

Better than Vegas!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Zardoz,

Its definitely up there with Vegas. Now, if PSA would just arrange for a cute waitress to deliver me a complimentary drink as the grades came up - I'd never leave the desk! image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Gentlemen,

I have to agree that in my mundane middle-aged boring every-day life, checking the PSA Submission Status is one my big thrills. I usually have at least one 100 card invoice pending. When I feel that the cards are due to be graded, I'll check the web 3 or 4 times a day. Then when I see the grades appear before my eyes, my heart pounds as I skim down the list looking for 9's and maybe by some miracle a 10.

When either me or my best local friend, Mike Bow, gets his grades, we immediately call up the other person and yell into the phone, "The Eagle has Landed!" and we know right then that the other guy just received his grades. Our wives who have zero interest in this stuff, just watch in disbelief.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I keep on checking PSA's website to make sure the grades are real...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    In 1996 I signed on to become a collectors club member. 4 free submissions!
    The motivation for this was the revisit of my 1969 Topps collection from storage. In 1996 I was about 30 cards short of complete on a set saved from childhood. Yes I indeed fell victim to giving away those "junky 68's" to a second cousin because I had new cards. At least I cant blame my Mom for throwing them away. I must have been a bit of a condition freak even as a kid because the cards really were'nt that bad. They averaged about ExMt. (Mint if you asked me back in 96').
    Back to the submissions.
    A few weeks before joining I added a PSA 8 Gil Hodges to my raw cards and officially caught the PSA fever. I decided to send my Aaron, Clemente, Jackson RC and Mays as my first 4 free. When I looked over my cards these seemed to be in the best shape of all the stars. In those days my trained eye was not exactly PSA worthy. Without the advise of other graders to lead me like newbies have on the boards today my grades came in as follows.
    Aaron PSA 6, Clemente PSA 6, Jackson RC PSA 7, Mays PSA 7. At the time I was actually a little surprised that they graded that low, but in retrospect the grades were fair. The Mays is actuallly really nice. All are still in my set with the exception of the Clemente which I now own a PSA 7. Needless to say I now own 430+ PSA 69's. (See the 69 registry)
    I have since suffered through the days when submissions would take up to 4 months to come back! Oh how things have changed! I will admit it is quite thrilling to roll through those online grades when they become available; which lately is about 2 weeks after PSA's receipt of same.
    Just a little history from a guy using PSA for a while now. Any others like me?
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Wayne,
    Even with the 11000 submittions PSA raised there rate on me. Thats the present I got.
  • Options
    bleacherbumbleacherbum Posts: 113 ✭✭
    My first 4 submissions (12/98) taught me quite a few lessons about grading and its benefits right from the get go. The tough lesson was that I received a PSA 5 on a 1989 UD Ken Griffey that had been pulled straight from a pack and handled very rarely. Turns out there was a paper wrinkle in the card. I had never suspected a 1989 card from a pack could come out so low. Now I know better.

The happier story is I received a PSA 10 on a 1995 Select Certified Terrell Davis which at the time was going for less than $100 ungraded. Fortunately, I sold it right afterwards for $500. It's currently listed at $90. Since then, in all my submissions I've only received 1 more elusive PSA 10 (1986 Topps Traded Bonds).

To complete the story, the remaining two cards in my complimentary submission were a 1990 Leaf Sosa PSA 9 and a 1985 Topps McGwire PSA 8.

Steve
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    Dude, ditto. When I hit the submission status tab and scanned thru my very first submission one card at a time, it immediately brought me back to waking up at 5 am on a Christmas morning, or more apropos, opening up the first new wax pack of a series---and a 9 (my last submission of 13 cards produced my first 3 PSA 9's) is like finding a Mantle card in that pack.

My PSA 8 or better 1956 baseball set is nearly complete, and I have graded nearly 80% of the set. It is imminantly better than buying a graded card--though most of the '50's raw stuff in NM/MT is just about dried up. And without the patience of a saint, you are forced to grab a nice "need-em" once in a while.

I just submitted 23 more (the accumulating of which took me to 3 card shows and a couple hundred ebay auctions) at the Ft. Washington, PA show, and will be hitting the tab quite often in the next few weeks. Happy grading to all. Scoop
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    By the way, Steve (bb), do you still have that Griffey? I collect and am always searching for 5's and 6's which have NM/MT or better centering and corners, and have been downgraded due to the wrinkle malady. I still think they are eye-pleasing, with future value. My email is scoppe67@msn.com.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Hey psa1965topps,

Maybe we can start a 1965 Chico Salmon PSA 9 club. I got a PSA 9 for the very same card last month. I still have it!

We now control 33 % percent of the 1965 PSA 9 Chico Salmon card market!

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Scoop.....it's long gone. I guess you're not the only one who likes his Griffey's with the hint of a wrinkle!

Steve
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I just received my cards. 14 calendar days from raw to slabbed. What service!!!image

Treetop, I like your thinking! Are you building the 65 set?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    psa1965topps-

Sorry, No 1965 set. I'm just hanging on to my PSA 9's for now. its easier for me to save PSA 9 cards, than cash!

I do have have a set listed on the registry, 1972 topps baseball. Very small, but all 9's, that I'll continue to add to in the weeks to come. BUT, I'll probably flip (sell off) that set into a PSA 7 1960 Topps baseball. I love the 1960 topps issue and have a handful of 7's, but haven't listed. Probably wait until i get a hundred or so.......Now if they were 9's, I would be listing them the minute I got them.

Good luck with your set!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi