Home PSA Set Registry Forum

This IS the Official Heisman Rookie Set Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am surprised this set is not more popular. I have never seen a thread regarding this set. Is this it?

Jasen

Comments

• BigZBigZ Posts: 78
    This looks to be it. After I get my submission back I will be under 20 cards to completion.

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Heisman Collection set singles
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    It is now!!

I think if better card selections were made by whoever requested this set initially it WOULD be more popular. Some very questionable cards to have to collect to complete the set IMO. It's definitely not inline with the majority of the other Key Card or HOF rookie sets and personally that's why I chose not to collect it.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

• << <i>It is now!!

I think if better card selections were made by whoever requested this set initially it WOULD be more popular. Some very questionable cards to have to collect to complete the set IMO. It's definitely not inline with the majority of the other Key Card or HOF rookie sets and personally that's why I chose not to collect it.

Jason >>

Jason,

I agree 100%, is there a way to have the cards required for the set changed? I really kind of use the registry as more a checklist for the older guys and the newer ones just buy the ones that really should be part of the set (like E. George chrome or SP instead of the select certified). Who would we talk to regarding changing the checklist and what would be needed to change it?

Jasen

<< <i>

Jason,

I agree 100%, is there a way to have the cards required for the set changed? I really kind of use the registry as more a checklist for the older guys and the newer ones just buy the ones that really should be part of the set (like E. George chrome or SP instead of the select certified). Who would we talk to regarding changing the checklist and what would be needed to change it?

Jasen >>

Cosetta or Gayle of the Set Registry crew would be your first stop. With any changes made to existing sets, PSA sends out a poll to all members of that set and popular vote would decide which, if any, cards would be deleted/changed. Based on how long the set has been there and the amount of guys who have already purchased cards that would likely need to be changed...I'd say the chances are pretty slim.

PSA won't make any changes unless the majority of the collectors on the set vote to approve those changes. Even if they make sense, they leave it up to the majority and honestly, i'm glad they do it that way.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I got sick of collecting that set. Some oddball issues and some silly card choices. I had to get out of it. Great idea, poorly implemented in my opinion.

Good luck with the set. And even more luck with getting some changes made.
    Well I am going to give it a try. The four cards I am most concerned with is the Contenders Autos. They could have done much better in choosing the right cards for these players. I would like to see them use the Ricky Willams SP, the Chris Weinke Finest, the Ron Dayne finest, and maybe the Erik Crouch topps. What do you guys think.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    Just got my Ty Detmer psa 10 and Angelo Bertelli 6 in the mail today that ties me with OCLabs at #7

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • It sounds like this set really would be more popular if some better choices were made regarding the required cards. What suggestions would you guys make to better promote popularity for this set?

Jasen
    If you want to be consistant I would say use topps or topps chrome. The ones that dont have a topps or topps chrome maybe use bowman or bowman chrome.

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    Anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on a Jason White Topps Draft Picks and Prospects chrome. Doesnt have to be graded.

Thanks,

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you want to be consistant I would say use topps or topps chrome. The ones that dont have a topps or topps chrome maybe use bowman or bowman chrome. >>

I would use Topps Chrome over Topps...IMHO. I agree w/ what Jason said. I would likely collect the set if the card selection was better. For instance, newer cards should generally be Topps Chrome, yet the regular Topps cards were chosen for Bush and Leinart.

If anyone is interested, the Heisman auto set should be live soon. I only need 7 more to complete the auto set.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>Anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on a Jason White Topps Draft Picks and Prospects chrome. Doesnt have to be graded.

Thanks,

Rob >>

Sportlots is your best bet. I had both 10's at one point.

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on a Jason White Topps Draft Picks and Prospects chrome. Doesnt have to be graded.

Thanks,

Rob >>

Sportlots is your best bet. I had both 10's at one point. >>

Thanks Envoy i will keep looking. That seems to be the only card I cant get my hands on. I had one comming, but the guy lost it or just didnt send it. If anyone has any Heisman rookies they want to sell to up grade my set just let me know.

Thanks

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    I sent in a request on Saturday to do away with the Contenders Autographs counting as their rookie cards. I replaced them with the following.

Ricky Wiliams Topps Chrome
    Ron Dayne Finest
    Chris Weinke Finest
    Eric Crouch Topps Chrome

Let me know what you guys think.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies

<< <i>I sent in a request on Saturday to do away with the Contenders Autographs counting as their rookie cards. I replaced them with the following.

Ricky Wiliams Topps Chrome
    Ron Dayne Finest
    Chris Weinke Finest
    Eric Crouch Topps Chrome

Rob >>

Makes sense...Specifically the fact that autographed cards are not supposed to be allowed in any HOF or key card sets according to PSA's rulebook...

Be aware, getting the Registry V2 online is their top priority right now...As an example, the football HOFers who were voted into the HOF in February are still listed on the FUTURE HOF RC set...I was told they won't be able to accomodate the request to remove them until after the new V2 is online and they work the kinks out...I made that request back in Feb...So it could be awhile before anything gets done...lol

Let us know how it goes...Will be interesting to see how they handle the autographed cards..I'll bet they still run a poll and ask the collector's on the set if the majority want those cards changed or not.

Jason
    They should still send a poll, it's only fair. However, I agree the autographed cards are kinda lame... At least in keeping with the spirit of the rest of the PSA sets.
    I just got a reply from Cosetta, she said she will send out a pole after the launch. I also mentioned the guidline on the autograph cards, so I am waiting to hear back on that.

Thanks

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I will be entering the few cards I have when V2 goes live. I have been working on Heisman autos the last six months and on the RC's to a lesser degree.

I agree the signed cards should not be part of the registry. I also would not mind the Topps issues replaced with Topps Chrome....although I bought a Matt Leinart recently.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    I have a few of the auto's already and I still want to see them replaced. If all goes well with the poll I may put in a request for the Topps to be converted to Topps Chrome.

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • Sweet, I will add my set to the registry when V2 goes live to get my vote in. I encourage any others who would like to collect the set but think the card selection blows to do the same! This would be a great set to collect with more sensible card selection. Let's start the revolution!

Jasen

<< <i>Sweet, I will add my set to the registry when V2 goes live to get my vote in. I encourage any others who would like to collect the set but think the card selection blows to do the same! This would be a great set to collect with more sensible card selection. Let's start the revolution!

Jasen >>

EXACTLY!!!

If you don't register the set, you don't get a vote!

Jason
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Hi big Z...I'm pretty sure I have some you may be interested in...some are on the "Bay" now...email me if you like, I'm #2 on the registry and I would be glad to see if I can help you as I've been upgrading a little lately. I really love this set and I'm surprised more people havent jumped in. I think its cool because its really the only one that gives a historical look at the college game. Perhaps some questionable card choices in recent years, but the vast majority are awesome choices and make for a great set! Good luck with your set !!
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
    Just let me know what you have and what your ebay name is and I will take a look you can email me at rwzirkel@aol.com

Thanks

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    Hey guys just won some more Heisman guys tonight. I got a John David Crow psa 8, a Pat Sullivan psa 9 and a Tony Dorsett psa 8. I also bought some 4 Jason White Topps Dpp chrome, to get graded, so if you would be interested in one after I get them graded just let me know.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • I registered my set with the new V2 launch, easy as pie. Now let's get some more people here who want to get a good set comp put together and make this a good set!

Jasen
    I've added my set as well..

Doing a quick look through the Pre-1990s cards, I see another that also needs to be changed.

1948 Johnny Lujack should be 1948 Leaf #13 rather than 1948 Bowmn..His Leaf RC is much more valuable/popular.

Without researching all of the 1990s-2000s cards, I know off the top of my head that these are incorrect:

1996 Eddie George should be 1996 SP
    1998 Charles Woodson should be 1998 SP Authentic
    1999 Ricky Williams should be 1999 SP Authentic
    2000 Ron Dayne should be 2000 SP Authentic

BigZ, since you are the point man on this, do you want to request these changes be put to a vote as well?

Jason

<< <i>I've added my set as well..

Doing a quick look through the Pre-1990s cards, I see another that also needs to be changed.

1948 Johnny Lujack should be 1948 Leaf #13 rather than 1948 Bowmn..His Leaf RC is much more valuable/popular.

Without researching all of the 1990s-2000s cards, I know off the top of my head that these are incorrect:

BigZ, since you are the point man on this, do you want to request these changes be put to a vote as well?

Jason >>

I was originally thinking Topps Chrome, for some of these changes, but if you guy feel Sp Authentic would be a better fit I would be fine with this. No poll or changes will be made until after the June 13th awards deadline, so we have some time trying to iron out exactly what cards we think should be in the set. I agree with you Jason 100% on the Lujack. Any of you guys that have input on cards being changed out please just post on the board so everyone can get in there feedback.

Here are the cards I feel must be changed.

1999 Contenders Ricky Williams
    2000 Contenders Ron Dayne
    2001 Contenders Chris Weinke
    2002 Contenders Eric Crouch
    1948 Bowman Johnny Lujack
    1996 Select Certified Eddie George

Here are the one I would like changed.

2005 Topps DPP Chrome Jason White
    2006 Topps Matt Leinart
    2006 Topps Reggie Bush
    2007 Topps Troy Smith

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    I simply listed the most valuable/popular of each player. Also, Charles Woodson should be 1998 Sp Authentic rather than Topps Chrome. It's much more valuable.

I agree with the 2005-2007 rookies needing to be something other than Topps. I would want the most valuable rookie of each player that qualifies for Key Card sets. I honestly don;t know which cards it would be, but the parameters for the rest of the Key Card sets are:

No autographs, no jersey cards, no inserts or parallels, nothing individually numbered lower than 999. Basically the most valuable base set card. Might take a bit of research on your part to figure out which cards qualify and which do not. Beckett online price guide is a good source, but it isn't free.

Jason

• << <i>I've added my set as well..

Jason >>

Jason,

Glad to see you aboard here, if we can get the set comp fixed maybe this set will give you the thrill of the chase again! This set is secondary to my completion of the HOF RC set, I have a long way to go to catch up to you guys on there. I totally agree with the direction you and Big Z are suggesting. My question is how did the contenders autos get added in the first place when they are clearly contrary to the key card guidelines???

Jasen

<< <i>

<< <i>I've added my set as well..

Jason >>

Jason,

Glad to see you aboard here, if we can get the set comp fixed maybe this set will give you the thrill of the chase again! This set is secondary to my completion of the HOF RC set, I have a long way to go to catch up to you guys on there. I totally agree with the direction you and Big Z are suggesting. My question is how did the contenders autos get added in the first place when they are clearly contrary to the key card guidelines???

Jasen >>

The Heisman set was listed on the Registry before the guidelines..And I guess was grandfathered in since many already own those cards for the set. I'm fairly skeptical that these changes will be voted into action, simply because some of the guys collecting it have been there for years. I'd probably not be too happy if I had purchased all those cards for the set only to see them removed.

I'll do my part though and make my vote count!
    Jason

• << <i>Here are the cards I feel must be changed.

1999 Contenders Ricky Williams
    2000 Contenders Ron Dayne
    2001 Contenders Chris Weinke
    2002 Contenders Eric Crouch
    1948 Bowman Johnny Lujack
    1996 Select Certified Eddie George

Here are the one I would like changed.

2005 Topps DPP Chrome Jason White
    2006 Topps Matt Leinart
    2006 Topps Reggie Bush
    2007 Topps Troy Smith

Let me know what you guys think. >>

Since we have a little time I'll go through and send Big Z a list also. I think we can all agree that the autos shold be replaced to conform to the Key Card guidelines, as well as the recent Topps selections. Thanks to Tebow (GO GATORS!!!) we have awhile before we will have to decide on the next addition to this set.

Jasen
    Ok guys here is the list of what I feel are the the top rookies for each player that needs to be changed. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

1948 Leaf Johnny Lujack
    1996 Sp Eddie George
    1998 Sp Authentic Charles Woodson
    1999 Sp Authentic Ricky Williams
    2000 Sp Authentic Ron Dayne
    2001 Finest Chris Weinke
    2002 Topps Chrome Eric Crouch
    2005 Playoff Absolute or Playoff Prestige Jason White
    2006 Topps Chrome Matt Leinart (everything else is signed)
    2006 Topps Chrome Reggie Bush (everything else is signed)
    2007 Sp Authentic Troy Smith

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies

<< <i>Ok guys here is the list of what I feel are the the top rookies for each player that needs to be changed. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

1948 Leaf Johnny Lujack
    1996 Sp Eddie George
    2001 Finest Chris Weinke

Rob >>

Without researching any of the 2005-2007 guys, it looks good to me. I would for all of these changes.

Jason
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I just started the set yesterday. I stated collecting the '55 AA set and alot of those cards are in this set.
    I tried looking for the DAC Collection cards and could'nt find them anywhere.
    Look up Heisman Set on ebay.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Thanks Mark, I think I found the ones for this set.

• << <i>Ok guys here is the list of what I feel are the the top rookies for each player that needs to be changed. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

1948 Leaf Johnny Lujack
    1996 Sp Eddie George
    2001 Finest Chris Weinke

Rob >>

I would vote in favor of all of those changes. Personally I prefer the Chrome on the E. George, but I will vote for the SP if that's what you guys want to do. The autos definitely need to be replaced, as do the new issues that are the regular Topps. Way to go, Big Z!!!

Jasen
    I think it is important to remember when requesting changes or voting for changes try and think objectively. If you want the set to be more popular make sure you aren't basing your decisions simply on personal preference. I think that's why the set is jacked up as it is. Whoever requested it went with personal preference rather than the most valuable rookie of each player.

In the case of 1996 Eddie George, the SP rookie is easily the most valuble, based mostly on it being a condition sensitive card. So my advice would be to make your decisions with the greater good of the collecting community in mind. More collectors are apt to want to chase the most valuable rookie of each player rather than just another rookie.

Jason
  • I am just stuck in the past when the Chrome was George's best RC and the SP was on the same level as the Select Certified. I agree that we need to stick with the best/most valuable RC to make the set the best that it can be and therefore the most fun to collect. I think it is an underrated and undercollected set, for which I believe the set composition is mostly to blame.

Jasen
    I will take this list as approved. I will send in the request. Now like I said before they told me nothing will be up until after the awards. If anyone has any objections just let me know.

Thanks

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    Got my DAC Heisman cards today.
    Here's a link for anyone who can't find those cards. This is the only guy I found that sells them on e-Bay.
    I must say whoever picked these cards to fill the gaps where there were no cards issued did a great job. This is a very nice set IMO.

Heisman Series 1,2,&3 Boxed Sets
    There are alot of guys that sell the heisman cards individually. I was very happy with the guy I bought mine off of one was a 9, I also got 2 8.5's and one lone 8. These cards are real tough to grade, they are on cheap stock and with the black borders it is really tough.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    I agree with the changes. I likely will not register my cards for a little while but I will be joining sometime.

Would the person that started this thread, remove all the question marks at on the thread topic? Perhaps change the title more appropriately?

Mark
    Mark,

I talked to him and he is going to change the title as soon as he gets a chance.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • The title has been changed, very appropriately I think. Rob, I would also suggest changing Wuerffel's RC from the Bowman's Best?? to the SP Authentic. Jason, this would be the more valuable, correct? And isn't there a better card for Desmond Howard than the All-world???? Hard to believe, with him being a top-5 pick and all.

Jasen

<< <i>The title has been changed, very appropriately I think. Rob, I would also suggest changing Wuerffel's RC from the Bowman's Best?? to the SP Authentic. Jason, this would be the more valuable, correct? And isn't there a better card for Desmond Howard than the All-world???? Hard to believe, with him being a top-5 pick and all.

Jasen >>

If Weurffel has a 1997 SP, then yep that would be his best card.

All-World is the correct card for Howard.

Jason
    I like seeing some of the new commers to the set climb up the rankings. I just saw that one of the sets added a PSA 10 Archie Griffin. I really like seeing everyone finally become interested in this set.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies
    Ok guys, here is a copy of the email I sent to Cosetta. That way everyone is on the same page.

Cosetta,

The following changes have been discussed on the boards with the few members that are participating and these are the following changes we have agreed on.

1948 Bowman Johnny Lujack changed to 1948 Leaf
    1996 Select Certified Eddie George changed to 1996 Sp
    1997 Bowman’s Best Danny Wuerffel changed to 1997 Sp Authentic
    1998 Topps Chrome Charles Woodson changed to 1998 Sp Authentic
    1999 Contenders Auto Ricky Williams changed to 1999 Sp Authentic
    2000 Contenders Auto Ron Dayne changed to 2000 Sp Authentic
    2001 Contenders Auto Chris Weinke changed to 2001 Finest
    2002 Contenders Auto Eric Crouch changed to 2002 Topps Chrome
    2006 Topps Matt Leinart changed to 2006 Topps Chrome
    2006 Topps Reggie Bush changed to 2006 Topps Chrome
    2007 Topps Troy Smith changed to 2007 Sp Authentic

Some of these changes are due to the fact that they are autographs, and according to PSA key card set rules, "If a rookie card is to be added, the card selected must be considered one of the most popular and no autographed, jersey or insert cards will qualify." Therefore the Ricky Williams, Ron Dayne, Chris Weinke, and Eric Crouch, should be removed without the necessary polling.

Please respond to verify that you have received this email, and let me know how we go about voting or making the correct changes to this set.

Thank You,

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Eddie George PSA rookies

<< <i>Ok guys, here is a copy of the email I sent to Cosetta. That way everyone is on the same page.

Cosetta,

The following changes have been discussed on the boards with the few members that are participating and these are the following changes we have agreed on.

1948 Bowman Johnny Lujack changed to 1948 Leaf
    1996 Select Certified Eddie George changed to 1996 Sp
    1997 Bowman’s Best Danny Wuerffel changed to 1997 Sp Authentic
    1998 Topps Chrome Charles Woodson changed to 1998 Sp Authentic
    1999 Contenders Auto Ricky Williams changed to 1999 Sp Authentic
    2000 Contenders Auto Ron Dayne changed to 2000 Sp Authentic
    2001 Contenders Auto Chris Weinke changed to 2001 Finest
    2002 Contenders Auto Eric Crouch changed to 2002 Topps Chrome
    2006 Topps Matt Leinart changed to 2006 Topps Chrome
    2006 Topps Reggie Bush changed to 2006 Topps Chrome
    2007 Topps Troy Smith changed to 2007 Sp Authentic

Some of these changes are due to the fact that they are autographs, and according to PSA key card set rules, "If a rookie card is to be added, the card selected must be considered one of the most popular and no autographed, jersey or insert cards will qualify." Therefore the Ricky Williams, Ron Dayne, Chris Weinke, and Eric Crouch, should be removed without the necessary polling.

Please respond to verify that you have received this email, and let me know how we go about voting or making the correct changes to this set.

Thank You,

Rob >>

This is where the fun starts..lol

Will be interesting to see if they pull cards without a vote..My guess is that will never happen, because this set was on the Registry before the non-auto rule came into play..

Will also be interesting to see if all the guys who already own these cards will vote them off the island and elect to buy different ones...

I've added my set so i can help with the vote to push for the RIGHT cards, but there are 19 others who also get a vote...

Best of luck!
    Jason
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any idea how much a PSA 10 USFL Doug Flutie would sell for on eBay or other auction?

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !