Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The official 1990 Notre Dame autographed card thread

All,

I recently decided to build an autographed set of the 1990 Notre Dame blue set....and created the 200 card checklist. Of the 200 cards, 155 are individual player cards and 45 are team/game cards. Of the 155 individual player cards, 30 died before the set was released and 125 were alive and are possible.

The 30 "impossible" players were and years of death:

Stacey Toran 1989
Knute Rockne 1931
George Gipp 1920
Jim White 1987
Louis "Red" Salmon 1965
Gus Dorais 1954
Wayne Miller 1976
Jack Cannon 1967
Joe Kurth 1987
Tommy Yarr 1941
Fred Miller 1954
Jesse Harper 1961
Don Miller 1979
Heartly (Hunk) Anderson 1978
Earl "Curly" Lambeau 1965
Harry Stuhldreher 1965
Bert Metzger 1986
Bill Shakespeare 1974
Adam Walsh 1985
Nick Pietrosante 1988
Zygmont "Ziggy" Czarobski 1984
Elmer Layden 1973
Frank Rydzewski 1955?
Art "Bud" Boeringer 1980
John "Clipper" Smith 1984
Frank Leahy 1973
Emil "Red" Sitko 1973
Eddie Anderson 1974
Roger Kiley 1974
Ray Eichenlaub 1949

So far, I have signed cards of:

Joe Theismann
George Kunz
Lou Holtz
Tony Rice
Ralph Guglielmi
Terry Hanratty
Frank Varrichione
Ara Parseghian
John Lattner
John Huarte
Tony Yelovich
John Lujack
Bob Kuechenberg
Bob Williams
Bill Fischer
Neil Worden
Don Schaefer

Let me know if anyone else is interested in the set...I'd love to chat with anyone about it.

Regards,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    Edward W. Krause
    1943-44, 1946-47 to 1950-51

Krause competed in track, football, baseball, and basketball while enrolled at Notre Dame from 1930-34. In three seasons as an Irish basketball player, he scored 547 points, led Notre Dame to a 54-12 record and was named to the All-American team in each of the years. Krause graduated cum laude with a degree in journalism in 1934. He accepted a job to coach St. Mary's (Minn.) College in basketball and football. He also served as athletic director and baseball, track, golf and tennis coach. In 1942, he returned to Notre Dame as an assistant football and basketball coach. When George Keogan died in 1943, Krause assumed the job as head basketball coach which he held for six seasons. He guided the Irish to a 98-48 mark (.671) in those six years including a 20-4 record in his first full season. On February 7, 1948, Krause was appointed assistant athletic director at Notre Dame. He was elevated on March 22, 1949 to the head position, which he held for 32 years. Krause was inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame in 1976. He passed away on Dec. 10, 1992.
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Downtown,

Thank you very much - another one down!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

Is their any birthdate information on the back of the players?

Oldest Living NFL Players

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    greg
    i'm very interested in the set. i have 4 or 5 going out this week. i also have/had a graded set of these started, very slim pickins in graded form. i just today, before i saw your thread, pull my set in the binder and i have 4 or 5 ready to go. i think its a great set. do you have any graded? i would also be interested in exchanging some address if possible. i also have an unopened case of wax. i have just always like that set ever since i first saw it. i was looking for a TTM idea and came up this as well. i was thinking of getting the bowl games cards signed by players involved/available who played in those games. let's discuss the great set.
    fred

here's who i have:
    theismann
    rice
    kiel
    hanratty
    furjanic
    yelovich
    clements
    heap
    panelli (nat champs 46 & 47)
    vaas
    carney
    guglielmi
    page
    cerrato
    montana
    kuechenberg
    lynch
    bob williams
    lujack
    lattner
    kunz
    duranko
    ara Parseghian
    worden
    tripucka
    bleier
    hayes
    seymour
    varrichione
    buoniconti
    heater
    schaefer
    dinardo
    fischer
    browner
    conjar
    bumpas
    mike golic
    zilly
    burgmeier
    ellis
    mccoy
    regner
    scully
    ho
    jim browner
    l. dinardo
    sip holtz
    t. huffman
    hughes
    phelan
    gradel
    burger
    creaney
    macafee
    dingens
    cordelli
    pinkett
    moriarty
    Heavens
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• According to this link Vince Phelan played in a 2004 alumni game. Put him in the "possible" column. No idea where he is now though.

2004 Alumni Game Report with Vince Phelan

Reggie Barrett played in the NFL in 1991 and 1992. Put him in the "possible" column.

Reggie Barrett at www.pro-football-reference.com

Here's an article on Tom Gibbons. Put him in the "possible" column.

Catching up with Tom Gibbons

Larry DiNardo is listed as alive in his player bio.

Larry DiNardo Bio

Catching up with Phil Carter

Catching up with Jerome Heavens

Catching up with Mike Townsend

Tom Gatewood is a Possible

Demmerle passed away in 2007. He is possible

Tony Yelovich alive and well at Notre Dame

Vinny Cerato was working with the Redskins as recently as 2005 and may still be there.

Gary Darnell is still alive and coaching

Ditto on Peter Vaas

Christie Flanagan passed away in 1991...

Pete Cordelli quoted in this 1998 article

That's it for tonight. This gets the unknown list quite a bit smaller.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
    41 Goudy Guy,

Thank you VERY much!! I have updated the list accordingly (the Phil Carter link didn't work...can you repost). I e-mailed Tony Yelovich and he will sign my card....sweet. He also confirmed the Joe Moore died in 2005..so now there are only 18 guys that I'm unsure of whether they're alive.

I sent off a request today to Joe Montana w/ all 3 of his cards from the set. I'll cross my fingers that he'll sign but I'm very skeptical...

I'm stoked!!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>greg
    i'm very interested in the set. i have 4 or 5 going out this week. i also have/had a graded set of these started, very slim pickins in graded form. i just today, before i saw your thread, pull my set in the binder and i have 4 or 5 ready to go. i think its a great set. do you have any graded? i would also be interested in exchanging some address if possible. i also have an unopened case of wax. i have just always like that set ever since i first saw it. i was lookinf for a TTM idea and came up this as well. i was thinking of getting the bowl games cards signed by players involved/available who played in those games. let's discuss the great set.
    fred >>

Fred,

That's great...are you grading the signed or unsigned cards? Just curious. I may eventually slab the signed cards...but that's a long term aspiration. I want to concentrate on sending out 4 or 5 cards a week...but it seems that quite a few players will be hard to track down. What source are you using for addresses?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    Revised again for Doug's generous e-mail.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Put Ted Gradel down in the possible column. Here is an autographed Gradel card up for sale on ebay.

Gradel Autographed Card
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets

<< <i>Try this Phil Carter link >>

That one works - thank you very much. I e-mailed Tony Yelovich today and he said to mail him the card to sign. Very sweet....I have SO many more to go!! Are you building the set?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • For what it's worth, this page lists Joe Kurth's date of Death as 1/16/1987. That would put him in the "no" column.

Joe Kurth Discussion
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets

<< <i>For what it's worth, this page lists Joe Kurth's date of Death as 1/16/1987. That would put him in the "no" column.

Joe Kurth Discussion >>

You're a machine!! Only 6 more to go!

Greg M.

References:
    Just found an article on Dick (Richard) Arrington - he died in 1993 so he is possible.

Dick Arrington

Greg M.

References:

• << <i>

That one works - thank you very much. I e-mailed Tony Yelovich today and he said to mail him the card to sign. Very sweet....I have SO many more to go!! Are you building the set?

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I'm not building the set but enjoy the search. I'm living in South Bend so I thought it would be worth the time to see what I could find out about these former Domers.

Did you see the Ted Gradel card that was up for sale on ebay with an autograph? I can't verify the authenticity but I'm leaning toward authentic. That would get the list down to 4.

Brian
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • According to the Social Security Death Index Roger Kiley died in September, 1974.

ROGER KILEY 23 Oct 1900 Sep 1974 60604 (Chicago, Cook, IL) (none specified) 354-36-5359 Illinois SS-5 Letter
    Add Post-em
    Search Ancestry.com

Chuck Sweeney died in 1999 so he's a possible:

CHARLES A SWEENEY 05 May 1914 31 Jul 1999 (V) 46615 (South Bend, St Joseph, IN) (none specified) 446-07-5484 Oklahoma SS-5 Letter
    Add Post-em
    Search Ancestry.com
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets

<< <i>

<< <i>

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I'm not building the set but enjoy the search. I'm living in South Bend so I thought it would be worth the time to see what I could find out about these former Domers.

Did you see the Ted Gradel card that was up for sale on ebay with an autograph? I can't verify the authenticity but I'm leaning toward authentic. That would get the list down to 4.

Brian >>

Agreed - that makes sense since he was in the class of 1987 or 1988.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>According to the Social Security Death Index Roger Kiley died in September, 1974.

ROGER KILEY 23 Oct 1900 Sep 1974 60604 (Chicago, Cook, IL) (none specified) 354-36-5359 Illinois SS-5 Letter
    Add Post-em
    Search Ancestry.com

Chuck Sweeney died in 1999 so he's a possible:

CHARLES A SWEENEY 05 May 1914 31 Jul 1999 (V) 46615 (South Bend, St Joseph, IN) (none specified) 446-07-5484 Oklahoma SS-5 Letter
    Add Post-em
    Search Ancestry.com >>

3 more down...only 2 more to go!

Greg M.

References:
    databasebFOOTBALL.com

James Joseph William White
    Position: T
    Height: 6' 2'' Weight: 227
    Born: 2/8/1920, in Edgewater, NJ, USA (This date in Notre Dame history has him born Feb 7th)
    High School: All Hallows (Bronx, NY)
    College: University of Notre Dame

Played 5 years in NFL with NY Giants 1946-1950

JAMES WHITE 08 Feb 1920 Apr 1987 07628 (Dumont, Bergen, NJ) (none specified) 135-18-7073 New Jersey SS-5 Letter
    Add Post-em
    Search Ancestry.com

or

JAMES W WHITE 07 Feb 1920 01 Apr 1997 (P) (72) (none specified) 721-07-0912 Long-time or retired railroad workers SS-5 Letter
    Add Post-em
    Search Ancestry.com
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
    greg
    i sent mine out to montana as well, just one though, its my understanding that he signs only one card. i just got signed up to sportscollectors.net. i sent out theismann, montana and hanratty, i'll let you know of my success/failure. how about you have you been sending though the mail? i have about 10+ graded (unsigned) mostly 10's and 1 of 1's, some 9's, but i have been getting them graded unsigned. i have a lead on page and rice as well once i get them nailed down i'll let you know. got any scans?
    fred
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

Jim White auto 1950 bowman from another thread....maybe owner knows if he is alive or not

Jim White Auto
    Doug
    i sent rube a PM we'll see
    Fred

just heard back from rube, he said jim white passed away. i asked when i'll post it if he knows.
    Fred

Jim White died April 1987

thanx tnspro
    that was 1 of the 2 dates I have found in a SSDI search...
    Doug
    Thanks guys on the Jim White - that only leaves one more!!! By the way, I sent out 4 more TTMs today:

Tony Furjanic
    Jim Lynch
    Joe Heap
    Ernie Hughes

Cross my fingers!! I have to get the next batch ready to go!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    i sent out allen page today

i'm waiting to get my first back now myself.
    Fred

Updated list of who I have signed. I just received Tony Yelovich back:

Joe Theismann
    George Kunz
    Lou Holtz
    Tony Rice
    Ralph Guglielmi
    Terry Hanratty
    Frank Varrichione
    Ara Parseghian
    John Lattner
    John Huarte
    Tony Yelovich
    John Lujack
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Bob Williams
    Bill Fischer
    Neil Worden
    Don Schaefer

Greg M.

References:
    Has anyone found anything out about Jack Robinson?

Greg M.

References:
    I'm sending 7 more out

Pete Duranko
    Alan Page
    Jay Hayes
    Dick Bumpas
    Tom Regner
    Blair Kiel
    Art Hunter

Here's hoping to continued success.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

• << <i>Has anyone found anything out about Jack Robinson?

Greg M. >>

Greg,

I suggest you get back in touxh with Tony Yelovich. He works in the sports department at Notre Dame and has more resources than we do. He got you the autograph back real quick and I bet he'd be able to answer the Jack Robinson question quickly also.

Brian
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
    I just found that Jack Robinson died in 2001. All have now been accounted for!

Greg M.

References:
    I just received back 2 auto'd 1990 ND cards and a IC from Tony Furjanic who lives around 15 miles from me (Orland Park, IL). Very cool.

Greg M.

References:
    greg no scans??

love to see them.
    i'll post scans as soon as i get some returns.

fred
    Fred

here's my first, one of my favorite players
    Fred

Unfortunate distinction of Rice's
    from Wikipedia: Was the only starter on the 1988 National Championship Team never to play in the NFL.
    Doug

<< <i>Unfortunate distinction of Rice's
    from Wikipedia: Was the only starter on the 1988 National Championship Team never to play in the NFL. >>

I always liked Tony Rice. How long did he play in the Canadian league?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    the way he played that year, he never had to play in the NFL to be a legend in south bend. my favorite was anthony johnson a fullback and ned bolcar LB. neither played long in the NFL but they'll always be my favorite football players
    Fred

got these 2 yesterday
    Fred

got these today john "pep" panelli signed the back of the national championship teams he was on

Fred

Very nice -thanks for sharing. I'll post my scans soon. I just received back Jim Lynch, Pete Duranko and Joe Heap...

Greg M.

References:
    just got back heap and clements on 2 cards.

i'll scan when i can
    Fred

• JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!! image

newbies
    Fred

Some of my recent autographs:

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    very nice!!!!
    Fred

I received Joe Montana today. I do not like the way it looks. Ghostsigned?

I also sent the Pro set card of his wife, which was sent back unsigned...which leads to the question of why Ghostsign one and not the other?

DR
    Doug
    i know he usually only signs one card no matter how many you send.
    Fred

Does anyone know how to contact Al Ecuyer? Supposedly he is a Vice President of Prudential Securities...but I can't find an address for him. Can anyone help?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    Montana, Bradshaw and Singletary (just to name a few) are FAKE/GHOSTSIGNED through the mail....have been and will be. Don't full yourself.

That Montana is not even close to his signature.