Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1948 Leaf Football Thread

I love this set... It needs its own thread.

Anyone have any extras??

Comments

• Your right this is a great set, and very hard to complete
    in any grade.

Centering and chipping on the edges make it very tough !!

I have just upgraded my Van Buren to a PSA 6, so I have a 5 for sale
    if anyone is interested.

Gabbs
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Definitely one of my favorites, and some of the hardest to find HOF RCs out there...I don't have an extras right now, but could be upgrading a couple of 6's to 7's very soon..In which case my PSA 6s will be for sale..I'll post them here first!

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

• << <i>In which case my PSA 6s will be for sale..I'll post them here first! >>

Sweet -- or you can always post them to my e-mail address.

I bought a group of 13 that just arrived today ...

So now I have 47 of the 98 cards and I just laid them all out on the floor. WOW!!

These things get cooler when you look at them in groups.

When I get the set done I want to take a picture and make it the background on my computer.

Just for fun you guys should take all your HOF RC from 48 Leaf and look at them together. image

ahh the Sweet Leaf ...
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    One of my Ex-48 Leafs and the rarest that I ever owned..This card also made the PSA calendar "September 2007"...In fact ALL the rest of the cards in September currently reside in my collection. My crowning achievement!lol

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Funny you started this thread. I was just thinking about posting my 48's in a set and maybe going after it. This is a gorgeous set. I love the variations too.

I have to focus on one thing at a time though. You guys are going to bankrupt me. image
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one for you guys...

Crack Kills
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Jason, That Luckman is awesome -- high end 7 I think. Was it the small nick on the top edge that kept it from 8?

An Al DiMarco PSA 7 pop 2 none higher just sold at $3200, my guess on Christman is $3k to $5k, but that card is WAY out of my league so I'm just guessing.
  • I started building this set at the same time I started my 48 Bowman set. My initial goal for the set was to do it in PSA 7 minimum. I than lowered my standard to PSA 6, and than PSA 5 for the really hard ones. One thing I have found is that the cards seem to come up on Ebay in waves. You can go months and see only a few, and than someone will list 50-60 at one time.
    Anyway, I agree with you guys. This is a very colorful and unique set. Not as nice as say 50 Bowman or 52 Bowman Large, but very attractive in it's own right. If putting the set together isn't challenging enough, try completing it with all the variationsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I may be diving into this set, although it will be a long, slow endeaver....I just won my first 2 non HOF RC's tonight. I will be in for PSA 4, and 5's with maybe a few 6's sprinkled in. I will end up paying about $40 for the 2 nicely centered 5's. Is that about what I would expect to pay for these? What about the high numbers?

Thanks

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I will end up paying about $40 for the 2 nicely centered 5's. Is that about what I would expect to pay for these?
    It all depends on the player Dave. Common 5's go for $40-$50, some harder to find SP's and HOF'ers will run a lot more. Check some of Ebay's finished auctions to get an idea on pricing history.
  • I was 0/16 on tonight's auctions so I may not be the best person to ask.

My guideline for commons is roughly:
    $20 for low # PSA 5
    $40 for low # PSA 6 and hi # PSA 5
    $75 for low # PSA 7 and high # PSA 6

Of course, I lose most of the auctions I bid on. If you really want to win the cards often you have to be willing to go higher.
    Sometimes much much higher (especially in high #'s and high grades).

I hope that helps. It is a great set. Mike.

P.S. I think I might do the 1935 Chicle's too image
    Another question... At what number do the "high numbers" begin?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the set was issued in 2 series of 49 cards. Thus 50-98 would be the harder to find Hi # series.
  • My one and only:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who spelled his first name wrong? Leaf or PSA?
    Just posted this on the HOF RC thread but wanted to show here to resurrect this thread.

I won a HOF rookie that I bet most of you have never seen. I have only seen one other and it was a terrible PSA 1 MK. I already have the "non-georgous" version in PSA 6 but wanted to add this one. I know the pop report is wrong because Ive seen several mislabeled as Georgous on front. Here is the new one with my other for comparison.

imageimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I just sent about 25 of this set to PSA, all the big rookies and variations. Vary nice blue numbers Pihos, Gorgeous George variation that actually looks great but I'm pretty sure has a wrinkle down the middle, no # Jack Jacobs that looks so nice I fear it's fake somehow. Yellow jersey Van Buren. I have a Trippi that has a strange background I haven't seen before. The yellow background is amazingly light, almost white. Usually it's obvious orange or yellow. But the one I am most interested in is a Bobby Layne that looks NM 7. If it grades a 7 I will actually keep it and my personal collection will grow to 2 cards. The rest will be sold to you guys who love this set. I was addicted to this set but can't afford a high enough grade collection that I'd like. Throw up some more scans of your variations guys, I love seeing those weird things in high grades.
    very cool. I love these variations. Let me know what you have available when you get the results back. I would be interested in some.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Here are some variations with the most common card on the right. The ones on the right are mine. I stole the scans of variations from various places.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Anyone have any others? I would love to see more..

DAve

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Here's some recent poppage from this set. Happy about the Bobby Layne 7 but a little surprised by some of the rest, didn't expect any three's and some of the 4's I didn't see coming but that's how it goes.

PSA Order Status for Submission # 630087

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 04006316 1948 LEAF 43 ROBERT NUSSBAUMER RED JERSEY 4
    2 04006317 1948 LEAF 7 BILL FISCHER WHITE BACKGROUND AT KNEES 5MC
    3 04006318 1948 LEAF 41 HARRY SZULBORSKI YELLOW PANTS 4
    4 04006319 1948 LEAF 26 BOB WATERFIELD BLACK NAME ON FRONT 5
    5 04006320 1948 LEAF 22 STEVE VAN BUREN YELLOW JERSEY 4
    6 04006321 1948 LEAF 29 CHARLEY TRIPPI N/A 6
    6 04006322 1948 LEAF 22 STEVE VAN BUREN GREEN JERSEY 4
    7 04006323 1948 LEAF 13 JOHNNY LUJACK MISSPELLED JONNY ON FRONT 5
    8 04006324 1948 LEAF 13 JOHNNY LUJACK JOHNNY SPELLED CORRECT 5
    9 04006325 1948 LEAF 6 BOBBY LAYNE YELLOW PANTS, ERR.BOBBIE 4MC
    10 04006326 1948 LEAF 28 WHITEY WISTERT YELLOW JERSEY 6
    10 04006327 1948 LEAF 28 WHITEY WISTERT YELLOW JERSEY 5
    11 04006328 1948 LEAF 6 BOBBY LAYNE YELLOW PANTS, ERR.BOBBIE 7
    12 04006329 1948 LEAF 1 SID LUCKMAN YELLOW BACKGROUND 5
    13 04006330 1948 LEAF 22 STEVE VAN BUREN YELLOW JERSEY 3
    14 04006331 1948 LEAF 19 GEORGE McAFEE GORGEOUS GEORGE ON FRONT 4
    15 04006332 1948 LEAF 34 SAMMY BAUGH N/A 4
    16 04006333 1948 LEAF 4 DOAK WALKER N/A 4
    17 04006334 1948 LEAF 46 JACK JACOBS NO JERSEY NUMBER IN PHOTO 6
    18 04006335 1948 LEAF 16 PETE PIHOS BLUE JERSEY NUMBER 5
    19 04006336 1948 LEAF 16 PETE PIHOS YELLOW JERSEY NUMBER 6
    20 04006337 1948 LEAF 14 MAL KUTNER WHITE NAME ON FRONT 6

• Congrats on the Layne sweet

Any interest in selling the Trippi ?
  • All but the Layne 7 will be on ebay shortly after I get them back. You need to see the Trippi first, weird front, very light background color.
    I'd definatly be interested in several of them. Let me know if you want to sell any before putting on ebay.

Thanks!
    Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Awesome set...

Here's my PSA 6 VanBuren yellow jersey. Pop shows 2 with 1 higher.

And my PSA 6 MC Bobby Lane Error. Pop shows 2 with 4 higher.
  • Dave that Pihos 6 looks real sweet love the real well centered leafs
  • Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to give the 1948 Leaf Football collectors a heads up that I am selling my Chuck Bednarik collection, ranked #1 on the PSA Registry and every card, including my prized 1948 Leaf #54 PSA 6, will be up on Ebay starting tonight. Also, I will list some Bednarik memorabilia as well, including the 1960 Eagles/Packers championship program in fabulous condition. It will be a 10 day regular style auction (not fixed price). I've had fun collecting this player set, but I do not see myself upgrading it any more, so good luck to all you guys and gals who bid on this and any other of my cards. I will still keep my modern Lawrence Taylor set because I still have a little more work to do on that before I have reached my goal there.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
    John Bednar
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
    just noticed your last name. Is that why you collected him??

very nice card!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Hi Dave,

The name has something to do with it, but mostly its because he is the most famous football player to come out of the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem), and he still makes appearances to the various local high school football teams and loves his fans. And in my mind he is the greatest Eagle to ever wear the uniform.

John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Many of the above cards will be on ebay starting sunday night, for those interested in any.
    The good news.....Looks like you got some pretty strong prices on these.
    The bad news.....I put in, what I thought were some pretty strong bids, but got shut out...image

That Trippi and Lujack (jonny) did awesome..

Congrats on the sales

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I didn't know what to expect with the Lujack.
    I had a lot of fun last night, more than any night I've sold cards. I didn't know what to expect on a few of them and plus selling cards that I really liked just made it cool. Now we start from scratch. Those damn variations are tough to find though.
    In two months I've gone from about 150 Leafs to 3 and two more will go next week. I feel all empty.
  • I was the underbidder on Trippi ,my bid was insane thought i would win it with a couple hundred to spare i am glad i lost at that bid ,Sometimes the best deals are the ones we dont make image

Congrats on a great price

• << <i>I was the underbidder on Trippi ,my bid was insane thought i would win it with a couple hundred to spare i am glad i lost at that bid ,Sometimes the best deals are the ones we dont make image

Congrats on a great price >>

I won the Trippi, and I thought the same thing about my bid. I watched it end, and imagine the look on my face as it went from Mike's bid to mine when I refreshed the page!
  • Well your bid is well appreciated here Nike, hope you enjoy the card it was sent today. Thanks to all those who made bids.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Howdy all.

I've decided to give this set a go. Not overly concerned about condition, but would prefer VG-EX to EX with nice centering. If anyone has low end material sitting in their dupes, please drop me a PM.

Figure since I was able to finish the '77 Topps Mexican Set, I might as well work the other tough football set.

Started from scratch yesterday, but added a few raw cards already.

It's tough sitting here on the beach, but I've been on vacation for 4 days and I'm bored as all get out!
  • i just started on this set last week and i have 26 so far. including a sammy baugh psa 5 and a bednarik 4 <- i probably overpaid for that one. what do bednarik's typically sell for? if you have any to sell that are psa 4 and up, let me know. coclarkson@yahoo.com

<< <i>i just started on this set last week and i have 26 so far. including a sammy baugh psa 5 and a bednarik 4 <- i probably overpaid for that one. what do bednarik's typically sell for? if you have any to sell that are psa 4 and up, let me know. coclarkson@yahoo.com >>

Have the following if you're interested:

#12 Bill Swiacki PSA 5 **$25.00**
    #20 George Taliaferro PSA 6 **$60.00**
    #22 Steve VanBuren (YELLOW Jersey) PSA 3 **$75.00**
    #24 James Martin PSA 5 **$25.00**
    #35 Ted Fritsch PSA 6 **$90.00**
    #40 John Nolan PSA 4 **$20.00**
    #40 John Nolan PSA 6 **$60.00**
    #41 Harry Szulborski (ORANGE Pants) PSA 5 **$25.00**

LMK...

Figured I'd add this variation I just picked up for my Master Set...

Also picked up the Layne Red Pants, Washington WL and a few others. Just need to get them off for grading so I can add them. Oh, I love this set!!!
    And added this one today. But it will have to make another trip to Newport for a mechanical error correction...

And the returned item after the "mechanical error" was corrected . . .

• I will be breaking up and listing a complete set of 48 leaf. All cards are graded PSA 4 and Higher. Hopefully I will have all of them listed by Saturday. Here's the listings so far:

link to 1948 Leaf Football Set Break

any questions, feel free to ask.

• << <i>I will be breaking up and listing a complete set of 48 leaf. All cards are graded PSA 4 and Higher. Hopefully I will have all of them listed by Saturday. Here's the listings so far:

any questions, feel free to ask. >>

Nice cards man, i saw those listed last night and am watching a few.

good luck!

joe
  • auctions ending tonight, thursday, and friday!!

Won a few and wish I would've won more. Hope you get paid by the "0" feedback bidder. If not, let me know as I was underbidder on a few that he won.
  • I just knocked off the 1955 Topps All-American set. I will give this set a shot.
    Just got back a few more "variations" from a recent submission to add to the Master Set. Still annoyed that they won't note the Girard "White Background" as a "White Background" variation...

• I've seen quite a few 1948 Leaf Football scans in this forum recently. I just started the 1948 Leaf Registry Set a few weeks ago, and I'm delighted to find that it already has its own dedicated Message Board thread. There's some cool history on this thread. Jasp, that's cool that some of your 1948 Leaf made the PSA calendar in the past, and - w-o-w what a '48 Leaf Luckman (PSA 7) that you once owned!

As per tradition, once a new Set Registry is begun, a BuyItNow purchase must ensue right away to get the set momentum going (that is my Tom McWilliams 7, as below). I don't plan to pursue this set with zeal the way I do the Football HOF RCs and 1952 Bowman Large (and my 1935 National Chicle Registry registration appears imminent). This is more of a checklist of what I have plus throwing in an occasional addition.

The 1948 Leaf sure aren't the most beautiful vintage football issue ever for me, but they don't look bad. The aesthetic dichotomy of brightly colored uniforms and backgrounds balanced with black-and-white flesh portions has a sort of strange captivation. The jersey and other color and text variations add to that. So does its importance as the first Postwar football issue.

In my observations, the 1935 National Chicle and 1948 Leaf appear to be the hottest football sets going right now. Does anyone else agree with that assessment?

• Nice scans Weinhold. I especially like the Pihosimage
    Just got some poppage and got a nice upgrade on a Conerly. Offering the place holder (a PSA 4) on eBay, but figured I'd let some of the other collectors know it's available. A discount is available for CU members. Also have a PSA 4 Bednarik available...