Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1976 Topps Baseball Thread

Figured I'd start a thread for the 1976 Topps series. I know a few of you have asked me to begin an official thread. I thought a good beginning would be to post "star scans" from my '76 psa registry set!

rbdjr1's 1976 Topps Baseball - The Number One All Time Finest PSA Set

List of all 1976 Topps Baseball PSA Registry Sets

rd

The Renaissance Trust: My ebay store!

Comments

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Here is what has proven to be the most difficult card over the years to locate in mint. It is the only PSA 9 NQ ever graded by PSA.

1976 Topps #373 Johnny Briggs PSA 9 1/2 no 10's! I know a few '76 set registry regulars that would "hit the family Xmas club account" for this card! image

rd

rd

• Options
    Wow!! Now that's a great way to open up a set!!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Not doing the set, but I do own this one! Is one of my favorite sets of the 70s, the Bench card is one of my all-time faves!!

• Options
    rbdjr: Thank you for the scans. Those are amazing cards. I really like the 1976 cards. It is a nice mix of some action shots and posed shots. The simplicity of the design reminds me of the 1979 set (which is my favorite modern set for sentimental reasons). I was looking over your set. It is amazing. How long have you been putting it together? What made you choose the 1976 set?

David
  • Options
    rbdjr,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering why one hasn't been started yet for this set. Should be nice to get a good conversation going about this one. You've certainly set the bar high with your set.

This is the first PSA registry set that I've started. I began my set on July 20 and I've just passed the halfway point with some recent ebay purchases. Love this set. Great early cards of some of the players I grew up following (Brett, Eck, Winfield).

Was never able to buy any packs though since I was born in 1976.

Mike
  • Options
    Solid set with very good players throughout. The most popular rookies in the set are Eck, Guidry & Randolph....we've seen the Randolph, how about the other two?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>rbdjr: Thank you for the scans. Those are amazing cards. I really like the 1976 cards. It is a nice mix of some action shots and posed shots. The simplicity of the design reminds me of the 1979 set (which is my favorite modern set for sentimental reasons). I was looking over your set. It is amazing. How long have you been putting it together? What made you choose the 1976 set?

David >>

David,

I always liked '76 cards.

Why I choose the '76 series to set-build? image Besides loving all those players (rose, brett, arron, etc.), I felt 1976 Topps baseball cards just looked like, what I believed a traditional baseball card should look like. And many of the common issues were (and still are!) easy to find and are affordable.

But trying to find all the 660 cards in this set in PSA 10's and PSA 9's, has been a multi-year quest, buying and bidding-up all those PSA 10's and 9's, against fellow "passionate" set collectors.

In addition to "bidding against" all those serious 1976 set-builders, there were plenty of serious "Team Set" collectors, and also, many "Player Set" collectors, plus lots of others, just wanting to collect high end examples of the 1976 key cards (Munson, Rose, "Eck-man", Aaron, Brett and all the others!) plus all those low population, "condition sensitive" items, that always seem to attract attention.

Looking back, I can't believe I built this set. Tim (cincyfan) is "very close behind" in building this wonderful set. We lost the "2003 #1 set", as Wetzel's 4th all-time finest 1976 Topps baseball set was recently busted-up.

There are plenty of serious 1976 set-builders out there, and plenty of Team set and Player set builders too. So I can expect, if I continue to upgrade my remaining PSA 9's to PSA 10's, as they become available, I can expect to pay nice premiums for them.

When and if we see some PSA 10's of the likes of Munson, Eck-man, Aaron, Rose, Brett and others, if u want to own them, expect to pay "bundles of bucks" for them!

I look forward to seeing this thread developing. Good luck and happy set building to all u 1976 Topps folks out there!

rbd

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite sets. It was the first set I collected as a kid. I used to take my $0.25 allowance and go down to the corner store to buy two wax packs and 5 gummy fish. Ah the memories.
  • Options
    I have helped my daughter Janelle with here Registered 1976 Topps Set for the last number of years now. I have really come to enjoy and appreciate the cards when I was not initially blown away. The mysterious look on Rose regular issue card is one of my favorites of all time.
    Nice work here rbdjr1!
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff. I checked my raw Twins cards and Johnny Briggs is off-center --- was hoping I'd have this tough one.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Awesome, awesome set that I would love to collect in high grade one day.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I am currently trying to finish a reds team set from 1976....I still need the following cards...can anyone help? looking for psa 8-9 and centered:

#24 Cesar Geronimo
    #195 RBI Leaders Bench
    #197 Stolen Base Leaders Morgan
    #283 Merv Rettenmund
    #518 Doug Flynn
    #589 Rookie Pitchers
    #599 Rookie Pitchers

Please let me know!!! Thanks!!!

Loth
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I've been happy to be able to sell rbdjr1 with a bunch of 10's on his quest. Alot of Wetzel's set came from me also. That Briggs is super tough. I've not come across a centered one.
  • Options
    I don't think I'll ever catch rgdjr1 - he adds 10's to his set at the same rate I have. I can't ever seem to gain on him! image

I did just get my psa 10 aaron card yesterday from the memorylane auction so I thought I would add it to the thread.

I also attached two of my favorite Reds cards - particularly the Bench (it is one of my all-time favorite cards).

And if any of you come across a PSA 9 Briggs - check with me first - it is one of only 3 cards I need to replace my PSA 8's!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think I'll ever catch rgdjr1 - he adds 10's to his set at the same rate I have. I can't ever seem to gain on him! image

I did just get my psa 10 aaron card yesterday from the memorylane auction so I thought I would add it to the thread.

I also attached two of my favorite Reds cards - particularly the Bench (it is one of my all-time favorite cards).

And if any of you come across a PSA 9 Briggs - check with me first - it is one of only 3 cards I need to replace my PSA 8's! >>

What nice cards Tim! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage (nice? I mean "to die for"!!!)

rbd

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    If anyone has any 76 Yankees in PSA 9 they may want to part with give me a shout.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>If anyone has any 76 Yankees in PSA 9 they may want to part with give me a shout. >>

Yo!

Here is pic of a '76 Topps Graig Nettles card in PSA 9

...a dollar a letter .............."NY Yankees" image

rbd

p.s. PM me if u want it! (no spam here, just another Yankees fan! Happy to help!)

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    This set IMO is one of the better values among late vintage sets - common PSA 9s are increasingly found at $5 or less, HOFer PSA 8s (and not just the lower tier) are frequently $5 or under - including most of the All-Time Greats subset, and competition is light, as major Topps sets go.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Recent Upgrades to my 1976 Topps Registry Set (Oliver card from bbcexchange!)

rd

Cookie Rojas! Currently Cookie does the Spanish broadcasts for my Florida Marlins!

Cookie Rojas
    Spanish Television Analyst
    Rojas returns to FSN Florida's SAP broadcast booth for his fourth year as color commentator alongside Raúl Striker Jr. Rojas has provided analysis for all regular season home games on FSN Florida since 2003.
    Rojas also has served as color commentator for ESPN Spanish Radio during the 2003, 2004 and 2005 National League Championship Series and World Series.

An experienced baseball mentor, Rojas last coached at the Major League level in 2002 as the Toronto Blue Jays' bench coach. In 2000, he was the New York Mets' third base coach. Rojas also served as Florida's third base coach and infield coach from 1993-1996. Prior to joining the Marlins' coaching staff, Rojas spent 10 seasons with the California Angels as manager (1988), special assistant to the general manager, Major League scout and coach.

During his 19-year major league career, Rojas posted a .263 batting average and was named to five All-Star teams, including four in a row (1971-1974). He played in the first-ever game played at Dodger Stadium and collected his first Major League hit off Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax.

Rojas, a native of Cuba, is a member of the Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies and Cuba's Baseball Hall of Fame.

Octavio Victor "Cookie" Rojas and his wife, the former Candy Rosa Boullon, reside in Aventura, FL. They have four children: Octavio Jr., Miguel, Victor and Bobby.

• Options
    When I was younger and collected 76's I alway thought that Al Oliver card was really Roberto Clemente!!

P.S. Nice 60s style glasses there Cookie!!
  • Options
    I really didn't need this card for my registry set, but for a little over 20 bucks? I'll take another slider of Hammerin Hank!

rd

• Options
    Two tough additions!

rd

Centering looks a little suspect on the Bostock card (L/R). But I "pulled the trigger" anyway. Just so tough to find!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I love the 76 set, but already have enough on my plate.

rbd-

great scans...thank you for sharing.

• Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have an extra psa 9 Messersmith, Al Downing, Bert Hooten, Dodger Team and maybe a Steve Garvey if anyone is interested. PM me.
  • Options
    If anyone has a 1976 Luis Tiant PSA 9 (or 10), I'd be interested in purchasing it. Drop me a PM here on the boards or e-mail me at SCMAuctions@aol.com

Thanks!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I just had to chime in on this thread. This set has seen a ton of new registrants in the last year or so. I would not doubt that was in great part to rbd's posts showing scans of his knock-out acqusitions.

I'm also surprised that the thread has not been bumped with all the updates and upgrades in the past 1-2 weeks. I know I just picked up about a dozen new commons to add to my set.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    I am a huge fan as well. I having been selling a bunch of 9s and 10s over the past year and have begun to regret it. This set has arguably the two most recognizable cards of the decade...The Bevaqua and in the traded series, Oscar Gamble. A great set.

Steve P.
  • Options
    I just added Lange and the second Briggs card graded 9 to my set! I only need to replace one more 8 - card #589 Rookie Pitchers. Any help on that last card would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
  • Options
    Well, in an effort to narrow the focus of my collecting a bit, I've decided to sell what I've completed on my '76 set. Currently the #12 set on the registry. It's been a ton of fun getting this far...

1976 Topps PSA Set #12 on eBay

-Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I just added Lange and the second Briggs card graded 9 to my set! I only need to replace one more 8 - card #589 Rookie Pitchers. Any help on that last card would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! >>

Congrats! Nice catches! Good luck on the 589!

rd

1/2! image

• Options
    I just added enough cards to crest the 50% mark.

Also, check out the BST forum and ebay. The #12 set is for sale.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Does anyone have their doubles on the registry to help start some trades? I had a doubles set registered some time ago, but lost interest in the set for a while.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    nm
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    nothing better then the 76 reds cards i think image

Loth
  • Options
    If anyone needs one or more of the cards on my registry set, please let me know. I am looking to sell first. If you have an extra All Star card or HOF in PSA 9, then I would trade for it. In general you can assume that the common PSA 8s are $3.50 each and the PSA 9s are $5 each. The non-commons will be a discount off eBay prices (generally 20% off). The more you want the more of a discount I will give. There is no S/H (with delivery confirmation). If you want insurance, then I would ask that you pay for that charge.

A link to the set is Here.

Thanks,

David
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Just sending out my every once in a while plea for help finishing my 76 Yankees team set for the registry...

If anyone can help me with the following in PSA 9 ( I will even take 8's till i can upgrade ) of the following it would be greatly appreciated.

2- Bonds RB
    41-Martinez
    100-Hunter
    319-Gura
    629-Alomar

Also, I am looking to upgrade the following to PSA 9....

17-Yanks team card
    200-Hunter/Palmer wins leaders card
    202-ERA leaders w/ Hunter
    380-Bonds
    453-Piniella
    481-May
    572-Coggins
    590-rookie outfielders
    599-Guidry RC
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Anyone out there have the following cards in 9? Some are tough, but others should be easy. I am down to my last 16 cards. Pleeeeeaase help.

2 Bonds Rb (pop 10)
    6 Stennet RB (pop 8)
    19 Brett (pop 5......never mind)
    35 Oliva (pop 10)
    76 Crawford (pop 9)
    161 Kison (pop 9)
    302 Miller (pop 6)
    317 Candelaria (pop 34)
    340 Rice (pop 15)
    392 checklist (pop 4)
    441 Carter (pop 59)
    445 Petroceli (pop 13)
    449 Robertson (pop 7)
    624 Taylor (pop 6)
    629 Alomar (pop 8)
    632 Moret (pop 16)

Shoot me an email if you've got any to sell.

Thanks,
    Steve P.
    oiljar@aol.com
  • Options
    My second of hopefully many more:

True, this is what a baseball card should look like!!
  • Options
    I just replaced the last PSA 8 to my set! I won a PSA 9 #589 on ebay tonight giving me all 9's and 10's for my set! I just had to share!
  • Options
    I was checking the population report on this year. I noticed that there are only 56k graded, which is roughly half of what is graded in 75's. Is there that much unopened stuff left for this year or isn't it worth grading unless it is low pop or 10's?
  • Options
    Sorry to anyone who was watching or planning on bidding on my set. Ebay ended the auction on me ("no paypal" in description, yes paypal in payment preferences....ugh!) and I had to relist it. New ebay # is #170089346416.

Steve P.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Great set Steve. If only I had those MEGA MILLIONS numbers.....

Good luck with the sale. Someone will be picking up a nice group.

Frank
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry to anyone who was watching or planning on bidding on my set. Ebay ended the auction on me ("no paypal" in description, yes paypal in payment preferences....ugh!) and I had to relist it. New ebay # is #170089346416.

Steve P. >>

Good luck, that is one awesome set!!
  • Options
    Wow....That is one amazing set. Good luck on it.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    trying to put together a raw set that is purty nice...
    so please hit me up if you have any commons or better you could possibly sell/trade me.

big ups

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    If any of the '76 collectors happen to have an extra Catfish Hunter (#100) PSA 9, I'd be interested.

Mike