Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Pete Rose PSA Thread

Just thought I'd like to share with the group what I have been collecting recently.

I am still learning the ropes here, so please bare with me. If this post is not in the correct forum or is not appropriate, please let me know.

I'm working on a Pete Rose Basic Set.....Topps first, then I will Donruss and Fleer later. I just started this past week or so...

Here's what I've got so far:

1965 Topps PSA 8
1971 Topps PSA 8
1977 Topps PSA 9
1978 Topps PSA 9
1983 Topps PSA 9
1984 Topps PSA 9

Not too bad so far..wish I was a little further along though. Comments welcome.

Thanks for letting me share,
EB31

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Correct forum and the best player set out there!

Nice start to the set.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards............

Good luck with your Rose collection.........

You said in your other thread about only collecting Rose Topps cards..........since the Rose basic set also has Fleer and Donruss cards, you might consider collecting them...............There is a total of ten of them ( Donruss and Fleer ) and they cannot be that expensive.......or hard to find

just a thought...... image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Thanks guys image Glad to be here. Hopefully I will be able to surround myself with older, wiser and more knowledgable collectors here, rather than what I find elsewhere. image

Yes, I did originally plan on just Topps....but for it to be a "true" Basic collection, I will include the Donruss and Fleer cards in the near future.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

For those collecting Rose cards for the Master Set i will be sending 30+ cards from the 80's at the end of June on the current special. I am sending in some 200 cards. Another 40+ will be Nolan Ryan. Those will be 80's cards as well. All of these i would expect to either 9 or 10. But we know how that goes. These cards will help those trying to fill in the gaps on their Master Sets. With PSA taking about a 2 month avg, figure August/September for return. I will follow up once they come back then.

Marc
  • Options
    Any other Rose collectors on the boards looking to chime in?
  • Options
    That's a great start to the set. I'm a Rose collector although not on the registry sets. I've been collecting Rose stuff on and off since the early 80's. Here's what I have scanned so far (haven't gotten to the Fleer, Donruss, or many of the odd ball stuff yet):
    My Pete Rose collection
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a great start to the set. I'm a Rose collector although not on the registry sets. I've been collecting Rose stuff on and off since the early 80's. Here's what I have scanned so far (haven't gotten to the Fleer, Donruss, or many of the odd ball stuff yet):
    My Pete Rose collection >>

Very nice collection you've got there image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice website too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thanks! Most of my cards aren't top end, but I've had a majority of them since the late 80's / early 90's. Now with 3 kids and the rest of life's flurry of curves, I can't upgrade many of them even though I'd like to.

The site is pretty fun. I like to change it from time to time. I use a shareware app called JAlbum and it makes it seriously easy to create some neat functioning sites. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to pm me or email me at evilkev @ gmail.com.
    kev

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    droooooool. nice, now those are some tough cards to find.
    kev

• Options
    Very nice A761506 !! image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I recently started aquiring cards for a Rose basic set, but am focusing on the easier to find (and cheaper) 80-87 cards (I have a post in the BST forum).

Good looking cards, A7.

• Options
    6/1/06 - Well, I just added my "Stash" to the Basic Set registry. I am currently #20...but I guarantee I won't stay there for too long.
  • Options
    Btw...here is my 1971 Topps Pete Rose. Cost me $430.00

• Options
    I curently have the number three Master Set and 16 basic. If anyone is looking for 80's Rose's LMK. I have a bunch. Welcome to the Rose Club. The Master set is quite a bite to take. Especially with having two decks of playing cards included not to mention his 120 card 1986 set.

Nice 71 by the way. I have been looking for one myself

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    It is amazing that someone actually has a complete master set..............That set should be in the HOF!!....Top notch stuff there!!

• Options
    EB31,

Good on ya for entering your set in the registry. There is a cheap thrill in watching your set slowly rise up the ladder. You may never reach the top of the heap......along the way you will meet most of your fellow set collectors, who more then likely will help you built your set.....and later on you can help those below you.....

Have fun........

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    eb, You got a nice set going there, I have been collecting rose cards all my life and the Rose basic set was the first set I ever put in the registry. I dont do a whole lot of updating to it (currently 19th) So I am sure you will pass me soon. If anything gets added to it now it is because I have updated a Rose card from another set. Most of the cards I had graded were acquired over the past 30 years or so of just being a Rose fan(reds fan). If you need any help let me know if I can help, Good Luck with your set !

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Rose, I seem to have a knack for pulling him from vintage packs. Whenever I'm lucky enough to acquire more than one pack of the same year and series, I open one. So far I have pulled a 1970 Rose (psa 9) 2 1971 Rose's from the SAME rack pack (psa 8 and psa 9oc) and a 1973 Rose (s/b 9oc).

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Thanks guys! image It's great to hear from other Rose collectors...and just nice to be on such an active board.

RedRomad - The #3 is great...Congrats.

TennesseeBanker - Thanks, I will definately be in touch.

JMoran19 - Nice pulls on those cards!!

Lostdart - That's what I hope...to one day be in a position to help some other collector image

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EB31 image to the board...

I've been collecting Nolan Ryan for about 13 years. Last year I started collecting Pete Rose and found that he has almost as large a variety of cards as Ryan does. He also has no new cards coming out so in the long run if someone is persistant there is a chance of completing a collection of all or nearly all his cards, unlike Ryan who has new cards coming out every few months.

Do you collect PSA Rose cards only or do you collect oddball cards that are not in the registry? When I get a chance I will post a picture of the 1988 Rose Experimental Cloth card.

Good Luck in your venture....Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>EB31 image to the board...

I've been collecting Nolan Ryan for about 13 years. Last year I started collecting Pete Rose and found that he has almost as large a variety of cards as Ryan does. He also has no new cards coming out so in the long run if someone is persistant there is a chance of completing a collection of all or nearly all his cards, unlike Ryan who has new cards coming out every few months.

Do you collect PSA Rose cards only or do you collect oddball cards that are not in the registry? When I get a chance I will post a picture of the 1988 Rose Experimental Cloth card.

Good Luck in your venture....Donato >>

Thanks image

I'd be interested in taking a look at that one. Not really sure how far away from my original goal I want to stray at this time...but I never say never image
  • Options
    The 1988 Experimental Cloth Pete Rose. Front and back.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    divecchia,

Drop me an email with what you had in mind.

EB3131@msn.com

Thanks
  • Options
    Opinions wanted:

To those of you that are more "versed" in PSA graded cards....what are your opinions of this one? Could I do better? And should I hold out for better?

Thanks

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty nice 8 to me. Not the best centering in the world, but the colors look bright, there does not seem to be annoying print, and the blue at top is solid and vivid.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    That rookie looks pretty sweet to me.

Donato, that's a cool card for a late 80's card, the experimental cloth. I'm guessing there weren't many of those produced. Not speaking for the others, but I definitely collect Rose cards that aren't in the registry like the 68 Action All Star Sticker, the 73 Candy lid, and hopefully, someday, the 67 Punchout.
    kev

• Options
    Donato,

Hey. I sent you an email about the 88 Cloth Rose. Just waiting for a response.

Thanks
  • Options
    meuandthelotmeuandthelot Posts: 183 ✭✭
    Great start on the set! image

Welcome EB31,
    Glad you came over to "The" boards image J/k a little, but really
    you'll find some of hobbies Best, Brightest and Most helpfull right here.
    Oh yeah, and some eye-popping subs!!

Looks like you've got quite a good thread going, with some real knowledgeable hobby vets.
    Hard to stay the course though..I see they're already tempting you with some great cards...lol
    I know better.. you're pretty focused.

Seriously, I've added some very nice test & regional issues to my collection, a few I had no idea even existed until mentioned here. Now they reside in my lock-box.image

Sometimes, heck many times, I have to click a different tab because of information overload.

Take care, and enjoy the ride.

-Rich
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options

<< <i>Donato,

Thanks >>

Sorry, I'm a little slow on my reply, but I work a second and part of third shift each night. I get home between 2:30-3:00 AM. I will email you my reply.

Donato

• Options

<< <i>Great start on the set! image

Welcome EB31,
    Glad you came over to "The" boards image J/k a little, but really
    you'll find some of hobbies Best, Brightest and Most helpfull right here.
    Oh yeah, and some eye-popping subs!!

Looks like you've got quite a good thread going, with some real knowledgeable hobby vets.
    Hard to stay the course though..I see they're already tempting you with some great cards...lol
    I know better.. you're pretty focused.

Seriously, I've added some very nice test & regional issues to my collection, a few I had no idea even existed until mentioned here. Now they reside in my lock-box.image

Sometimes, heck many times, I have to click a different tab because of information overload.

Take care, and enjoy the ride.

-Rich >>

Thanks Rich image

Great to see someone I know here image.....and I'm also having a great time starting to get to know everyone else. Already, this seems like a really decent place to just relax and talk cards and collections...w/o all of the "stuff" that goes on in other places. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Donato,

Thanks >>

Sorry, I'm a little slow on my reply, but I work a second and part of third shift each night. I get home between 2:30-3:00 AM. I will email you my reply.

Donato >>

Email received and replied to. I will definately get back to you with a more solid answer soon....

I remember the days of "3rd shift"..in a way I kind of miss them image

• Options
    I have a question for everyone.....as it pertains specifically to buying Pete Rose cards, I thought I should keep it in this thread.

I am becoming familiar with particular sellers on Ebay, but am open to hearing others opinions.

Are there any sellers I should avoid at all costs, when looking for graded stuff?

There are a few I have already noticed that I wouldn't buy from with someone else's money. I am just wondering if perhaps there are any names that stand out....or if there might be a link to a thread, here at CU, where this was discussed already.

Thanks,
    EB31
  • Options
    Mindt you EBAY isn't perfect but it has gotten alot better in weeding out unscrupolous sellers and auctions.

The Pete Rose rookie card used to be ( and probably still is), a card that scammers liked to sell because of its value.......On a whole you just need to use common Ebay sense. Be leary of zero or low feedback sellers, sellers that do not take paypal, or sellers with lots of bad feedback. ........On low feedback check to see how they got their feedback, before bidding on his Rose rookie card..................

...........avoid any seller who has a Rose rookie card, a Ruth Gouday card, and any Honus Wagner card up for auction at the same time.

• Options
    Thanks Lostdart58.

Bigtime scammers like that are easier to spot...to me. I am more worried about the guys that have a reputation of selling "less than quality" stuff. The ones that may or may not be involved in shady practices, constantly sell off centered stuff, ect The guys that may have multiple Ebay ID's in order to seperate their sales into "good", "bad" and "worse" categories.

I am the new guy here and I don't want to step on any toes...so I won't mention the names of the 2-3 sellers I have already singled out that I avoid like the plague...primarily because I am sure 1 or more are members here.

I guess what I am getting at is that I am annoyed by the sellers that have 100 PSA 9's and 10's for sale....and not one looks like it should be more than an 8. I sift through this stuff for hours and start to lose my patience....but then I do find a gem of a card and it makes it all better lol image (Sorry, this is becoming a rant).

I know that I am compulsively picky when it comes to centering...etc lol I am sure most people are that drop decent dollar amounts for one card. I may be new to the vintage game...having just recently decided to collect my favorite player (Pete Rose)....but I have been online for many years. And already I am getting fed up with the large amount of diamond cut and off centered cards I find that are being passed off as Nrmt-mt.

I think I need a nap image

EDIT: As for the '63 rc....that is the one I am thinking about waiting to buy in person. While we are on it, I would appreciate any links to sites that may talk about spotting a counterfeit. I can spot a counterfeit Jordan rc a mile away...just need to educate myself on the Rose now.
  • Options
    Well.....if you are looking to buy raw cards from a seller..............The best thing to do is start a thread that says.......Has anyone ever bought raw cards from so and so?......................You will get more answers then you will ever need.

• Options

<< <i>Well.....if you are looking to buy raw cards from a seller..............The best thing to do is start a thread that says.......Has anyone ever bought raw cards from so and so?......................You will get more answers then you will ever need. >>

lol I hear ya. No, I am pretty much stuck on graded. I prefer not to take the added risk of catching a trimmed or altered card. image It's hard enough buying graded and being happy....I couldn't imagine stressing myself over raw cards lol
  • Options
    I have been looking for a Rose rookie but am very wary of some on EBay as it is a scam waiting to happen at times. It also seems that the card tends to show up in groups, meaning I see seveal at once and then nothing for a while. It's a lot of cash to part with so I'm still looking...and saving. My recommendation would be obviously check feedback or use one of the bigger card guys from SCD other than Frisch. 707 has some nice cards but he is a bit high. Then again I'm used to bidding not buying out right. Anyway, enough rambling. Just my 2 cents

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    I should be back to #2 Rose master after I get my grades back from a 50 card submission. I have another 50 going out in the next few days but those are my other player sets

>

• Options

<< <i>I should be back to #2 Rose master after I get my grades back from a 50 card submission. I have another 50 going out in the next few days but those are my other player sets >>

Nice Master and Basic sets... image
  • Options
    I have an extra unopened 1978 Sportscaster deck of playing cards available for trade. I traded one a few years back that basically got 9's and 10's ... probably a few 8's too.

Send me a pm if interested. Will only trade to a Rose collector and for Rose material.
  • Options
    Lousy decks of cards...nothing personal to you. It just annoys me that there are two complete decks of cards in the master set. They are just decks of cards for heavens sake! Just venting. I have the one you are referring to and just picked up the pepsi deck this weekend for a pretty penny. Oh well, I guess I cave to Registry. Can't wait for another $5 special to send in 52 playing cards. Yeah.....

Red

>

• Options

<< <i>Lousy decks of cards...nothing personal to you. It just annoys me that there are two complete decks of cards in the master set. They are just decks of cards for heavens sake! Just venting. I have the one you are referring to and just picked up the pepsi deck this weekend for a pretty penny. Oh well, I guess I cave to Registry. Can't wait for another $5 special to send in 52 playing cards. Yeah.....

Red >>

lol

That's why it looks like I'll never go after the Master Set....too many "cards" I have no interest in as a Rose collector.

I'm happy with the Basic image
  • Options
    I agree, and that is the reason I left the Master set. I was #1 for close to two years until that set was added, and then the Pepsi, and the Topps tribute ... and then I left.
  • Options
    Is there any way to have those card decks removed? I'm for keeping the 120 card tribute set but the two card decks are worthless. I might have read somewhere on the boards that If a concensus of the set registry members agree then cards can be removed? Any comments?

Red

>

• Options
    They won't remove them and if I were Jeff Korth (#1 Master), I'd be p/o'd if they did.
  • Options
    Well, I guess if you have as much disposable income as that guy has then you wouldn't really worry about it. That guy is unbelievable. He buys up everything it seems. He must have multiples of everything in the set. It kind of bums me out to watch common cards get blown out of the water in price by someone who just has to have it all. Makes the little guy (Me) want to throw in the towel.

>

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I guess if you have as much disposable income as that guy has then you wouldn't really worry about it. That guy is unbelievable. He buys up everything it seems. He must have multiples of everything in the set. It kind of bums me out to watch common cards get blown out of the water in price by someone who just has to have it all. Makes the little guy (Me) want to throw in the towel. >>

I have just as much [if not more] fun on the sets/interests I collect where I will never be #1 than on anything I'm currently working on where I am #1.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I agree with you. I know going in that I'll probably never own a 63 Rose in high grade and I accept that. I mean my collecting is my own..no one else's and that what makes me keep collecting. The fact that I enjoy it. On a side note, I'm going out to Vegas and I heard Pete is out there doing personal appearances at Field of Dreams in one of the hotels. I've met him a couple times but will probably swing by so my son and I can see him.

Red

>