Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A Thread for Hockey Collectors

Just thought I would start this thread to see who are the hockey collectors out there, be it sets or singles. I have been eyeballing the 85-86 Topps set, has always been one of my favorites. I would like to eventually start up on this set. Finding graded though look like a painfull prospect. Please share your collecting habits or stories.

Stingray

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I have probably 75% of the 81 OPC Hockey set in NM MT form. Believe it or not I was the first to submit cards from this set in 1994. My first submission to PSA Had the 81 Murphy,Stastny,Hunter,Bourque,Ciccerelli,Anderson,Moog and Savard. I still have the Bourque,Murphy and Ciccerelli in 8 OC. One of the classic sets from the 80's and will always be my favorite. A close second would be 85 OPC which I have probably 50% in NM MT to Mint shape. My favorite card without a doubt is the 83 Gretzky Messier HL card. I could look at that 6 times a day for 10 years and never get sick of it. I cannot stand the 70's Hockey sets just because of the long hair and side parts it drives me nutso. The 60's and earlier are great sets but just too expensive for me to even try and collect?
    I had 46 or so of the 55 Parkhurst set in PSA/SGC holders a long time ago with alot of toughies but sold it on Ebay in my early days for a song to put in a hardwood floor in my house! I wish I could buy them all back for what I sold them for! That is one set I could look at for hours and not get sick of also.
    Hockey rules in this household. I miss the Whalers but there is talk around that some big real estate firm is thinking about a new rink and buying an NHL franchise to move here? I would think maybe a team like the Penguins would be tops on their list? Boy that would stink having Lemieux(he would probably be retired by he time it all goes down) and Crosby here!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    For the Flyers fan. It is a bumper sticker that say only the lord saves more than Bernie Parent. I had it autographed at at show in Boston.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My favorite card without a doubt is the 83 Gretzky Messier HL card. >>

Definitely my favorite too. I don't really collect modern graded hockey anymore, but that's one of the few cards that survived my '80s housecleaning a few years ago. That and an '85-86 OPC Gretzky, which is one of my favorite cards of the Great One. My PSA 9 '81-82 OPC Gretz is one of the few that I kinda sorta regret selling just because it's probably my favorite set of the era as well.

I'm in the process of breaking up and selling off my '53-54 Parkhurst set, so when it comes to hockey, I'm down to pretty much my '10-11 C56 set and my '23-24 V145-1 virtual set. (It's missing an insane short print.) Not sure if I'll ever build another set, but I am kinda looking to pick up some cards from the '33-34 sets and have even started browsing eBay for the RC's of some of the game's current young stars. I hate the fact that there's now 429 power plays in the average NHL game, but overall I'm pretty excited about the return of hockey this year.

Here's one of my favorite C56's:

And one of my best V145-1's:
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Is this the one?

Stingray
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Half-heartedly started a 1985-86 OPC set in PSA 9 but I really don't think it's very feasable now. I bought a bunch of really nice raw singles but have not submitted them yet.

Also like the '79s. There have been several threads about that set. 1986 is also a very colorful set.

The Parkhurst and Topps sets of the 1950s are some of the most beautiful cards IMO in all of card collecting. The few I own will probably be with me until I croak. (Though I hope to attain a few more before then!) Like I told Yawie, I don't know if I could have parted with the '53s he's selling. You can almost hear Foster Hewitt just by looking at them. I know that doesn't make a lick of sense but you get the idea.

• Options
    The 85/86 setis a nice one, high end grades will be a challenge for the "commons"
    hockeybonkers@yahoo.ca
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Well, I'm gonna have to holder some more of my 81/82 OPC's for you guys now. image
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Hi - I'm one of those crazy hockey collectors. Mainly concentrating on 54/55 Topps right now ... I'm just about ready to part with my 63/64 parkies set and my 59/60 Topps set. Its been great collecting these cards - some of the most beautiful cards in all of sports are hockey ones. Plus, the sets are relatively small and manageable.

Jerry
  • Options
    Well finally a thread I can relate to. I am as some of you know an avid 80's hockey collector along with the 1971 OPC. I have the 1980 OPC set 92% complete and the 1981 OPC about 48% complete in PSA 8 or better, and of course completed the 1985 set 100%. Growing up ina small town outside of Winnipeg as a kid I loved watching Hockey Night In Canada every Saturday and relate best to the 70's and 80's. My favorites are WHA cards but they seem very difficult to come by in decent shape. I used to love watching the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA, now that was hockey and the Oilers of the 80's were created with them in mind according to Glen Sather. It s nice to see some new young Talent taking the game to new hiegths and hopefully it will pump some blood into the hobby once more.

Cheers,
    Darren
  • Options
    Hi, my name is Bob and I'm a hockeyholic.

HI BOB!!!

I've been one since my Dad took me down to the B's locker room when I was knee high to a defenseman. He got Bobby Orr to come over and say hi.

I collect just about everything hockey related but have focused on building PSA graded sets for the last year or so. I'm trying to build hi-end sets of the stuff I collected as a kid (and mangled as a kid) 68 through 75 basically. Along the way I have branched off into some earlier sets, recently completing my 62 parkies & 63 Topps. I have a 57 Topps set going too. I love the 80's stuff also but figured I'd start further back and maybe build some of the eighties sets in the future.

I guess I just really enjoy collecting hockey cards and feel cards in PSA holders are cards I want to collect. Hopefully when my days are done my two kids will have a very nice collection to auction off.

Hockey Rules!

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    I was one of those kids that kept his cards and luckily I never had any bike spokes to ruin them with...Some of my 1969 OPC's actually made PSA 8's, with most 7's and 6's......I display my cards at both my office and home.....

Dan
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    Hi, and hurray for this thread - I have complete raw sets from 68 to 94 and partial raw sets from the 50s and 60s. I've been working on pre war graded sets and have a complete v252, partial v288 and with my next submission a complete c55 - all on the Registry. I look at Steve's c56 and v145-1 with great lust (the sets, not Steve). Like most I enjoy hockey being back although since I travel a lot for work and most hotels don't have OLN I'm not seeing much hockey outside of highlights on Sportscenter.

I've got a moderate number of duplicates of v252 and c55 in low grade and would trade for similar grade c56, v145-1 or v128-1s.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a hockey thread!
    I have virtually complete raw sets from 71-72 to present. My main hockey focus in the past few years has been:
    51-52 Parkies in PSA 4 to 6
    63-64 Parkies in PSA 8
    C56 in 5 or better
    C55 set is complete and PSA graded
    V145-1 set is almost complete and PSA graded
    All hockey Hall of Fame rookies (working my way slowly to completion).

Recently I just bought a nice looking Hamilton Gum set that I am sending in for grading. I like those sets with only 21 cards.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Im from Calgary and have enjoyed collecting for many years. I have recently got the bug for the 1979 opc set and I am just over 90% complete. I have finished a raw 51 parkhurst set and enjoyed that as well. The 79 set is a real challenge do to the cuts of the cards. My other favorite set is the 71 opc which I will look at after I have finished my 79 set. If anyone out there has raw or graded 79 opc's please pm or email me. The one thing I have found the most enjoyable in collecting is the great people I have met. Its a real nice community.image
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY HIGH GRADE 79/80 OPC HOCKEY !!! & Upper Deck "Ice Scripts" Cards

• Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys....another hockey-mad Canuck here.

At one time or another over the past six years I have had every OPC set from 1969 to 1981 on the go. Most are complete with the exception of '70, '71 & '72 (damn checklists keep eluding me:grrrrimage.

I am currently working on the '57 Parkhurst set, needing six cards for completion.

A set I love, and hope to start sometime soon, is '61 Topps.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Hockey card collector here from Minnesooooota.

Active sets:
    1968-69 OPC
    1968-69 Topps

Not quite as active:
    1954-55 Topps
    1933-34 V252

Not much for post 1969. I'd like to get into some of the early 70's OPC sets but they would all probably be raw. The 1968-69 OPC set is 216 and I'm not going to start a 264 or 396 card set in all PSA.

• Options
    i am collecting 55 parkie greenbacks and the 74 topps hockey set.
    both are # 2's in the registry.

when you're #2, you have to try harder, right.

if anyone can help feel free to contact me.

GO RANGERS!
    i ain't often right
    but I've never been wrong
    it seldom turns out the way
    it does in the song
    once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places
    if you look at it right
  • Options
    Howdy hockey junkies!
    I've been working on a complete psa 7-9 set of 1971 topps for a year. Down to four cards to finish 'er off. I'm looking for psa 7's, 8's, or 9's of #61 Hicke, #82 McKenzie, #99 Edwards, and #115 Hodge. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    EMAIL: ratz@prtel.com
    Thanks for the great thread and possible help!
    Paul
  • Options
    Alrighty! Now that we all know each other lets keep this hockey thread alive. Anytime this thread falls from page 1 its up to one of us to save it.

I was just busting up some mid to late 70's off grade sets and came across some great looking cards. I always get side tracked when sorting cards because I enjoy looking them over so much.

I figured I'd post the pics here of some great 30 year old masks.

Anyone else have any cool shots of goalies wearing the odd looking mask? We've all seen the Cheevers mask and the Plante leather but what about these babies?

I think that's Palmateer on the Murdoch card. Not sure if Topps added all that blue or not. I don't remember seeing him wear that mask. Kuckles????????

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Here is another one of my favorites! BTW it can be had on Ebay right now for 9500 or soimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread the first time around!?! image

imageimage
    imageimage

Some of you know I'm working on the 1981-82 Topps set. I'm just over 1/3 complete in PSA 9 or better, but I seem to have hit a wall already. The set is not widely graded (there are still some cards in the set that have never been graded by PSA), and I'm not having much luck with raw. I've purchased 4 vending boxes to date, and I'm finding on average I can find only about 6-8 cards per box that are PSA 9 or better, so not exactly much bang for your buck. Furthermore, because the East regional cards are in the middle of the vending boxes (from left to right: National-->East-->West), about 90% of the quality cards I find are from that subset. I haven't jumped into a wax box yet, but I figure that is my next step. Does anyone know how to tell East from West in the wax boxes?

I've also recently jumped into the 1972-73 Topps set. I haven't even registered the set yet. I put up a bunch of scans in the "Mail Call" thread the other day, but here are my latest arrivals:
    imageimage
    imageimage

Finally, I've got the #1 Mike Bossy Basic and Master sets on the Registry. My two most recent pickups:
    imageimage
    The RC is 1/37 with only one 10 ever graded. The 1980 OPC is a 1/1.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    i am working on 1979 topps and opc right now . both sets are on the registry . the '71's are calling but i am holding off, for now.
    Bob
  • Options
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    Comet,

Absolutely beautiful!

You gotta love those early Opc's

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Those are awesome, Comet. You're going to have a phenomenal set one of these days.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Wonder if they wore the during actual game play. Nice 81 Dionne, thoug I never really saw him play, he is one of my favorites, stupid Wings had to let him go??

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>Wonder if they wore the during actual game play. Nice 81 Dionne, thoug I never really saw him play, he is one of my favorites, stupid Wings had to let him go??

Stingray >>

The Wings didn't let him go by there choice he bailed on them as a free agent
  • Options
    Yzerman19C-

Are you a collector of all things Steve Yzerman?
  • Options
    Another hockey fan from south of the border....that is the canadian/United States border. Grew up in Detroit. My dad took me to several games each year watching the likes of Howe, Sawcuck, Ullman, Linsday and the rest of the boys. Almost as many HOFers as the current Wings.

Now I live in the state to the south (thats Ohio to those not firmilar with the Ohio State/Michigan rival) and I've become a Blue Jacket fan and still have hope for the future :-)

My name on the registry is LPHockeyDream. I've made the decision to collect several (actually working on over twenty) sets at the same time setting goals by year like a 10% completion rate by end of year rather then to work only on one or two with much higher completion rate. I've also set what my minimum grade is by decade (1950s'-PSA6, 1960s'-PSA7, 1970s'-PSA8, 1984 topps-PSA9, and 1990 Upper Deck-PSA10). I just enjoy seeing all the different years and remembering watching these guys play!

Lets keep the thread going!
  • Options

<< <i>Yzerman19C-

Are you a collector of all things Steve Yzerman? >>

I do collect alot of Yzerman items but not everything as there is just so much stuff released on him. As for grading his cards out i haven't did alot except for his 80's OPC cards

Randy
  • Options
    My contributions to the thread:

The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    ^^^^^^^^^Dan, LMK if those are available. ^^^^^^^^^

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    - Calvin
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    My gahd comet! Where do you get this stuff?

The Finnegan is impeccable. Looks like it could have pulled a 10 just as easy as the 9 grade.

Simply amazing that these cards have survived in such great shape.

How many are you up to now?

Thanks, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Hello Guys,

Great tread. I've dealt with alot of you in either buying, selling or trading of hockey cards. It's always a pleasure.

I like Buckeye Hockey am from Ohio. (Go Buckeyes)

As for hockey cards, I myself am addicted big time. Hockey and only hockey for me. I collect hockey all sets from 1910 till 1981. The wife thinks I'm nuts but as I'm sure you will all agree, they just don't understand.

Tom (Teemu)

I collect Vintage Hockey cards in PSA 8 or better.
  • Options

<< <i>Another hockey fan from south of the border....that is the canadian/United States border. Grew up in Detroit. My dad took me to several games each year watching the likes of Howe, Sawcuck, Ullman, Linsday and the rest of the boys. Almost as many HOFers as the current Wings.

Now I live in the state to the south (thats Ohio to those not firmilar with the Ohio State/Michigan rival) and I've become a Blue Jacket fan and still have hope for the future :-)

My name on the registry is LPHockeyDream. I've made the decision to collect several (actually working on over twenty) sets at the same time setting goals by year like a 10% completion rate by end of year rather then to work only on one or two with much higher completion rate. I've also set what my minimum grade is by decade (1950s'-PSA6, 1960s'-PSA7, 1970s'-PSA8, 1984 topps-PSA9, and 1990 Upper Deck-PSA10). I just enjoy seeing all the different years and remembering watching these guys play!

Lets keep the thread going! >>

Turn your PM on. What part of Detriot you from? Sorry to hear that you are now living in Ohio.image

Stingray
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I'm a little late to the party, but I'll share some of my personal favorites as well :

• Options
    And some of my favs as well...
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY HIGH GRADE 79/80 OPC HOCKEY !!! & Upper Deck "Ice Scripts" Cards

• Options
    Sorry kind of new to this posting thing. hope this works.

• Options
    Nice '79s! Did you submit them yourself?
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay in response....grew up in Roseville (Roseville High School grad 1968)
  • Options
    raym8, beautiful Gretzky! Is that a print dot in the bottom left corner? If so, that's the only thing I can see that kept it from a 10.
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is a small print dot on the lower left. There is also some very minor chipping of the blue border on the upper right corner. I'm stiil very happy with the card, even if I did overpay for it about 5 years ago when the population wasn't as high.

I just looked thru the scans above again. Those 33 O-Pee-Chees are absolutely gorgeous. image
  • Options
    - Calvin
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    Nope got them both off auctions. Thanks to a fellow member of this site I also now have the Oilers logo in psa 10 as well as another two cards in psa 10.

• Options
    Were is all of the PSA graded 1985-86 Topps Hockey?

Stingray
  • Options
    Those 33 OPC's are spectacular! I could look at them all day long! I don't know if anyone cares and I know they are not the most popular but BMW has a partial high grade 36 37 O PEE CHEE set with pictures of some beautiful cards! I look on a regular basis and it looks like they added some 9's?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    A couple of v252's. Not high grade but they present well.

• Options
    I wonder if that Ace Bailey card was his last card. I believe it was in 1933 that Eddie Shore literally almost killed him on the ice in a case of mistaken identity. Shore, in a fit of rage after being hit, went after the first Leaf player he saw (who unfortunately was Bailey) and delivered a Bertuzzi-style hit that left Bailey bleeding, unconscious, and near death. (For those more knowledgable of old time hockey, wasn't it King Clancy who initially hit Shore?) The Ace Bailey Charity Game was played the following season and there's a picture of Ace and Eddie shaking hands.