Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

More Burger King Talk

I had a question maybe somebody on here can answer. I came across this website on the internet. I noticed that it has a checklist for 1977 Burger King Tigers. I only knew of 1978 Tigers. It only lists 4 cards but I was wondering if this is a mistake on the website's part or if these cards actually exist. Has anybody seen one?

My quest to put together these sets is coming along good. This auction is one of the many reasons I love making these sets. These are really tough to get in PSA 9 so I feel like a practically stole this card. This win gave me my third PSA 9 from this set so I did a set request with weighting to get it up on the registry.

I sent in some 1980 Burger King Pitch, Hit, and Run on my last submission. Once those get graded, it should move me to #1 on that set pending that they come back as decent grades. I also won this card on ebay from that set. It is a much much tougher PSA 9 that the regular 1980 Topps Ryan and I'm pretty sure less were produced so that one feels like a steal also. These cards really get no respect. One side of me would love to see several people competing with me to make these sets but it is really nice to get them for dirt cheap when they hit ebay.

I also have some 1979 Yankees to send in but the #1 Set by Gator on that is absolutely incredible. It has 3 PSA 10's! I've opened about 200-300 packs of those and have seen nothing close to a PSA 10. 10's must come from vending boxes but those are tough to find anymore. I would love to find one.

Another interesting thing I've seen with these is the 1977 BK Thurman Munson has his name mispelled on the facsimile autograph yet the regular 1977 Topps is spelled correctly. Here are examples: Topps / Burger King. He spelled it Thruman. Did he forget how to spell his own name when he signed for that? There must be an interested all night drinking story behind that one.

Comments

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    You did steal that Munson! I was going to put in another bid but I got hung up before the auction ended and I missed my chance to snipe! I'm trying to put together a 77 Yankees set. I've submitted 2 cards, Piniella came back a 7 and Jackson came back an 8. I don't think I have any others from my 28 year old set that are worth grading.

I also submitted an 80 Ryan that came back an 8. I thought for sure it would be a 9.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow nice pickup on that Munson!

Stingray
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me with the Ryan. I sent in 2 that were gorgeous from many packs I opened. I though for sure one would get a 9 but both got 8's so I broke down and bought one off ebay. I've also bought a few 1977 sets from ebay but they are tough to find submittable ones.

Since your also making the 1977 set, you'd probably be interested in this. I emailed a set weighting to BJ yesterday and she sent me a copy of a forwarded email to Cosetta which stated to check with Joe on getting the set up there using the weights I provided so it might be up there soon. Here's the weights I sent her:

#1 Billy Martin - 2
    #2 Thurman Munson - 5
    #3 Fran Healy - 1
    #4 Jim Hunter - 2
    #5 Ed Figueroa - 1
    #6 Don Gullett - 1
    #7 Mike Torrez - 1
    #8 Ken Holtzman - 1
    #9 Dick Tidrow - 1
    #10 Sparky Lyle - 1
    #11 Ron Guidry - 1
    #12 Chris Chambliss - 1
    #13 Willie Randolph - 2
    #14 Bucky Dent - 1
    #15 Graig Nettles - 1
    #16 Fred Stanley - 1
    #17 Reggie Jackson - 5
    #18 Mickey Rivers - 1
    #19 Roy White - 1
    #20 Jim Wynn - 1
    #21 Paul Blair - 1
    #22 Carlos May - 1
    #23 Lou Piniella - 10
    NNO Checklist Card - 1

I would normally put the Munson or Jackson at 10 but the Piniella from this set buries those 2 in toughness. I also debated on the checklist card. In one sense, it is a tough card because it is always on the top of the packs which ruins the corners but on the other hand, it is a triple print. I've found that if I opened enough packs, eventually I find a solid 9 before I find most of the other cards in 9 shape, so I left it at 1.
  • Options
    Steve-
    The weighting seems reasonable. I probably would have put the Jackson at an 8, moving it between Munson and Piniella.

By the way, how hard is the Piniella card? I know it is short printed, but by how much?

Tom
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the exact numbers. I do know that the 1977 sets on Ebay almost never have it in them. You only see that card being sold by itself. I've seen about 3 up there in the past 6 months and they've gone for about $20-$30. A set without the Piniella sells for about $10 at the most so the Piniella is much better than the rest of the set put together.
  • Options
    Well, you were looking for competition for these sets, so now you have it.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a question maybe somebody on here can answer. I came across this website on the internet. I noticed that it has a checklist for 1977 Burger King Tigers. I only knew of 1978 Tigers. It only lists 4 cards but I was wondering if this is a mistake on the website's part or if these cards actually exist. Has anybody seen one? >>

The '77 Burger King Tigers cards aren't really "cards" like the other years; they're more like the '67 Dexter Press postcards (larger and thinner). Unfortunately I don't have a scan of one handy.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    How do 1979 BK Munson and Reggie do as psa 8 and psa 9s? I just sent some in for grading. Any info is appreciated.

Brian
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    The 77 set is 8x10 photos, not really cards. I have a complete graded set of the 78 Tigers with a GPA just over 7. I just bought another box of these this week hoping for some upgrades. Between the lousy centering and dinged corners from the cellophane, this set is a bear! This set bridges the gap between the 68 and 84 Tigers (both world champs). I remember getting these cards from BK as a kid. I love these cards!
    My Tram:
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Burger King poutine is delish
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Dammit - there's Jim and his freakin Tram PSA 9 again!

I swear you post that to rub it in image

I'm a big fan of the 78 Tigers BK set if ya didn't know...and they are a bear as Jim said to get in 9+ due to their crazy packaging. I have quite a few to get graded, but I missed the Nov. special so I'll have to wait till next time.

Here are some recent additions:

And here are some from my set:

Link to set on registry:

Jerster's Fast Food Tigers

Jerry
  • Options
    Typical Centering:

• Options
    I've picked up a few of those Burger King cello packs from various sets/years and I firmly believe that is not the way to find anything that will grade 9 or better. Even if the corners are not damaged from the packaging, they will be by the time you get the pack open. The centering is still horrible on the cards from vending, but at least you have a chance on the corners. All the cards in my set came from vending. Good luck to all working on these Burger King sets!

-----------------------------------------
    68 Topps Mgrs Dream (Clemente), Tigers Team both PSA 8, Brett RC PSA 8, and Topps Ripken RC PSA 9 on ebay

Robert (ajetfan)
  • Options
    What's a ballpark price for a '77 BK Pinella in PSA 7?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Far as I know - 78 Tigers were not available in anything other than packs, hence the difficulty.
  • Options
    Hi Jester,
    Great examples of the crappy centering of these cards! I never need an excuse to post that PSA 9 Tram! I'm hoping to get lucky with the cards I have coming to push my set to a 8. I'd love to get it to a 9, but that seems like a pipedream unless there's a warehouse find. I believe you're right. As far as I know, the only 78 Tiger cards were released in packs.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    BTW, That Hiller you Have may be the best centered card I have seen from this set! You got a great card there!
  • Options
    No idea what a PSA 7 Piniella would be. My guess might be ~$20-25 since that is what raw cards go for and mine is comparable if not better than the raw cards I've seen.
  • Options
    1977 Burger King Tigers on ebay

link
  • Options
    1977 BK Yankees is up on the registry. Looks like you are already up there Steve.

I just registered my set. Looks like the top set will be a tough one to reach.
  • Options
    Yeah, that top set is incredible. I stated earlier that competition would be nice, but I wasn't expecting a set like that. It will be fun chasing it though.

I just picked up a Tigers set on EBay last night. I hit the BIN 45 minutes after it started for $25. He says they are Mint and centered so we'll see how it goes. I've also noticed that 78 Astros and Rangers are semi tough to come by. They don't sell for much but they rarely hit EBay.
  • Options
    I have a Tigers set I bought back in '78. The cards look good to me, but I think they would be 8s, not 9s.

I picked up a '77 Munson PSA 9 with a BIN of $15, not as good as your deal, but couldn't pass it up. I noticed I'm the only guy that has a Piniella in their set, I'm sure that won't last for long.
  • Options
    Steve,
    Congratulations on winning that lot of 1977 BK Yanks on ebay. I missed out on my snipe for the lot.

You should be able to piece together the top set. I'm hoping but not counting on bbcexchange having another lot go up for auction.

Tom
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Not to change the subject (just teams) but I picked up a PSA 8 1979 "Phillies" BK Rose a while back for $16. I was surprised to see only eight or so had been graded that high with none higher. I was also surprised I got it for just $16.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to change the subject (just teams) but I picked up a PSA 8 1979 "Phillies" BK Rose a while back for $16. I was surprised to see only eight or so had been graded that high with none higher. I was also surprised I got it for just $16. >>

Three of those eight came from my submissions. There is no good source for 1979 BK Phillies cards - just the three-pack of cards, and they almost always are way off-centered or have corner dings. I am not surprised that there are so few graded 8 with none higher. Price has certainly come down since I sold mine off - but I'm out of sources for building my high-grade 1979 and 1980 BK sets....

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Anyone want to sell me a '77 BK Pinella? I prefer a raw NM or PSA 7/8, thanks.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Tom, I was really psyched to see that I won those 30 sets of 1977 BK Yankees. I really wanted those. I bid a lot more than I won them for so I was pretty happy. Here's a link to it in case anybody wants to see it. Also a few minutes ago, I won this set which comes with the Piniella. I've dealt with this seller before and he sells nice stuff so I asked him if he could send me his nicest Piniella. With those purchases, I'm hoping to overtake that monster #1 set that is up there.

Also, I know there is a lot of BK Tigers fans on here so I'll post a picture of a few of those that I'm going to submit. On most BK cards, I shoot for 9's, but Tigers cards are expensive and rare, so I'm shooting for 8's on these. I bought a set on Ebay that turned out really nice. The corners were incredible by BK standards.

By the way, I've been on here for a long time but I've only met very few of you guys. I needed to buy a website for picture hosting space so I bought www.steveewel.com (which is my name) and I put a picture of me and my family up there so if anybody wants to put a face with a name, check it out.
  • Options
    Nice cards Steve!

jerster
  • Options

<< <i>Steve,
    Congratulations on winning that lot of 1977 BK Yanks on ebay. I missed out on my snipe for the lot.

You should be able to piece together the top set. I'm hoping but not counting on bbcexchange having another lot go up for auction. >>

I got that box from BBCE with the 30 sets of 1977 BK Yankees. They periodically put them on ebay and if anyone is interested in buying one, they are very nice. They look like they came from vending at some point since they don't have the heavily rounded corners that come from packs. It will still be tough to get any PSA 10's but this lot appears to be better than cello packs. I pulled the best 1 or 2 from each player and when I grade them, I should wind up with 4 or 5 PSA 8's, maybe 1 PSA 10 (if I'm lucky), and the rest 9's. So overall, I would recommend those 30 set lots from BBCE if anybody is into this set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve,

You should be able to piece together the top set. I'm hoping but not counting on bbcexchange having another lot go up for auction. >>

I got that box from BBCE with the 30 sets of 1977 BK Yankees. They periodically put them on ebay and if anyone is interested in buying one, they are very nice. They look like they came from vending at some point since they don't have the heavily rounded corners that come from packs. It will still be tough to get any PSA 10's but this lot appears to be better than cello packs. I pulled the best 1 or 2 from each player and when I grade them, I should wind up with 4 or 5 PSA 8's, maybe 1 PSA 10 (if I'm lucky), and the rest 9's. So overall, I would recommend those 30 set lots from BBCE if anybody is into this set. >>

Steve,
    Good luck on your submission. Be sure to post your grades when they arrive!
    Tom
  • Options
    anyone else think the creepy guy in the Burger King ads somehow resembles bearded WADE BOGGS?
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options

<< <i>anyone else think the creepy guy in the Burger King ads somehow resembles bearded WADE BOGGS? >>

Those commercials both crack me up and creepy me out at the same time. I'm shamelessly addicted.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

<< <i>anyone else think the creepy guy in the Burger King ads somehow resembles bearded WADE BOGGS? >>

I don't know. Does he have a beer (i.e. one of 72 beers) in his hand??
  • Options
    I picked up a box of BK Tiger cards last month in an attempt to upgrade my set. I'll send them in soon, but this wasn't the greatest box - a ton of OC stuff. I may have a PSA 9 Morris out the batch though.
  • Options

<< <i>I got that box from BBCE with the 30 sets of 1977 BK Yankees. They periodically put them on ebay and if anyone is interested in buying one, they are very nice. They look like they came from vending at some point since they don't have the heavily rounded corners that come from packs. It will still be tough to get any PSA 10's but this lot appears to be better than cello packs. I pulled the best 1 or 2 from each player and when I grade them, I should wind up with 4 or 5 PSA 8's, maybe 1 PSA 10 (if I'm lucky), and the rest 9's. So overall, I would recommend those 30 set lots from BBCE if anybody is into this set. >>

I was able to get the same deal after calling BBCE on the phone. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, but it looks like there are some good cards in the box. I noticed that the Jackson card seems prone to print defects.

Anyway, looking forward to submitting and building a nice set.
  • Options
    Is there anyone else working on the 1979 Burger King Phillies set? I finally managed to get some cards in - and my graded just popped. I should have an extra graded set if anyone is interested in trading/buying. But I've always loved this set, and am excited to see them back in my hands once the package comes from PSA.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I just picked up an unopened box on ebay and I pulled out all the nice cards for grading but I might be interested in the ones that I don't already have ready to go in. Here's the ones I have going in:

Checklist Card
    #1 Danny Ozark
    #4 Steve Carlton
    #6 Dick Ruthven
    #7 Ron Reed
    #8 Randy Lerch
    #9 Warren Brusstar
    #10 Tug McGraw
    #11 Nino Espinosa
    #13 Pete Rose
    #14 Manny Trillo
    #15 Larry Bowa
    #16 Mike Schmidt
    #18 Jose Cardenal
    #19 Greg Luzinski
    #21 Bake McBride

So, I guess I might be interested in:
    #2 Bob Boone
    #3 Tim McCarver
    #5 Larry Christenson
    #12 Doug Bird
    #17 Pete Mackanin
    #20 Garry Maddox
    #22 Greg Gross

PM me if your interested in selling those.

Also, I just noticed that the set isn't on the Registry yet. If you would like to register yours, let me know what you think a good weighting would be, since your set is probably #1 right now. I'm eventually going to request every BK set on there but it would only be right if you made the weighting for this one. Last time I requested a set with the weighting, they had it up in a week.
  • Options

<< <i>

So, I guess I might be interested in:
    #2 Bob Boone
    #3 Tim McCarver
    #5 Larry Christenson
    #12 Doug Bird
    #17 Pete Mackanin
    #20 Garry Maddox
    #22 Greg Gross

PM me if your interested in selling those.

Also, I just noticed that the set isn't on the Registry yet. If you would like to register yours, let me know what you think a good weighting would be, since your set is probably #1 right now. I'm eventually going to request every BK set on there but it would only be right if you made the weighting for this one. Last time I requested a set with the weighting, they had it up in a week. >>

Steve:

Thanks - I don't know the grades of the above cards - although the grades popped, I wait until the box arrives from PSA, as it raises the 'surprise' factor for me. I have a message into the Registry people about the '79 BK Phillies set. Someone else has already requested its addition - so I've asked whether or not they weighted it on their request. If not, I'll try and put that together this afternoon so that it can be online sooner rather than later.

It's a bear of a set in top grade. Do you think your examples are 9s and 10s, or just 8s and 9s? I think with the corners, et al., that even 9s are going to be really tough for this set, as you can't find the vending examples as you can for some other Burger King sets. For what it is worth - I've broken about 6 or 7 boxes over the years, and Bird and Mackanin are the two toughest cards.

Marc
  • Options
    Well, I definately don't think I have any 10's. I really just shoot for 9's and usually wind up with half 9's and half 8's, which I'm happy with. There must be something different with BK cards as compared to regular Topps cards. I can usually hit 9's pretty consistently with regular Topps from the late 70's but I haven't been able to with these. I'm trying to make every set in 8 or higher and then I will upgrade when I can. I'm sure this will be a decade long process if I don't lose interest by then.
  • Options

<< <i>There must be something different with BK cards as compared to regular Topps cards. I can usually hit 9's pretty consistently with regular Topps from the late 70's but I haven't been able to with these. >>

Steve: I think, if anything, it is really a result of having a shrink-wrapped pack with four cards inside. 85% of the time, the corners are absolutely mangled on the checklist and the other end card. Not to mention the quality control on the cutting process was obviously much laxer on the BK cards than the regular issue Topps. Centering can be all over the place. That said - I think 9's can be awfully tough with the issue, and I believe it is more a function of distribution than anything else.

marc
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    If anyone needs a 1979 BK Yankees Reggie in psa 8 or a PSA 9 Thurman Munson, PM me with an offer. The Reggie will be pretty cheap.

Brian
  • Options
    I can only speak for the 78 Tigers, but thr wrapping kills the corners! Most of the cards are terribly off center as well. It seems that the Tigers may be harder to fine in high quality condition than other BK issues.
  • Options
    Sort of on topic and yet sorta not...

Anyone tried grading the 1987 Burger King foldouts? Ive got about 250 of the Will Clark cards. Wondering if they have any nuances to them I should look out for.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I have (1) 1980 BK Carew in psa 8 , PM me with an offer.

I have the (4) 8's graded and none higher. Two have been sold this week and one is in my Master Set. These are, as many of you know, very difficult to get centered and without any pinched corners from the packs. Of the 10 Carews that went in, i received 4 8's, 1 8o/c, 3 7's.
    I still have two 7's left as well.

Marc
  • Options
    Steve,

Any results yet on your 1977 Yankees BK submission? I noticed some heavy bidding yesterday for a '77 Bucky Dent in PSA 9.
  • Options
    Have not sent them in yet. I keep accumulating BK cards for submission. I'm up to about 100 now. I'll probably do them all at once. I saw the Dent but I didn't put it on my watch list because I already have raw ones to grade. I don't want to get in to a bidding war over a 9 if I can submit the ones I have for $5. I did win that Carlos May PSA 10 for a good price, like $25 or so. I also won a 1980 Brett PSA 9 and Cesar Cedeno PSA 9 which moved me to #1 on that set. That's kinda cool because I've never been #1 on a set unless I was the only one making it. When I finally do submit those 77's, I should have a good shot at passing that #1 guy. I'll have the complete set along with a nice Piniella that I picked up.

I also picked up a near box of 1980 Phillies packs so I can make a run at that set also.

I also picked up another Tigers set on Ebay. I hate to say this but I like to help out other collectors. If anyone is looking for a nice Tigers set, this guy has some really nice ones. The last one I got from him was incredible. It was vending quality. I haven't got this one yet but the Trammell appears to have great centering. You'll have to beat me to them though, lol, I do searches every day. Most raw sets I buy on ebay, generally don't even have one card worth submitting. That first Tigers set I got, had 7 worth submitting. Hopefully this one is just as nice.
  • Options
    Steve,

Good luck with the '77s. I picked up a box of 30 sets from the bbcex as well, so I should be able to finish my set with at least 8s (fingers crossed). After that, I think I will lay off for a while. Too few cards out there. Congratulations on reaching number 1. That is an accomplishment!!

Tom
  • Options
    Did you get the sets yet? You should have no problem completing it in at least 8's if they were the same as mine. Since you've got the 30 sets also, it looks like me and you might be going head to head on this for a while, lol.
  • Options
    Yes, I got mine about a month ago. After you won the auction, I e-mailed to see if there were any other lots available. I was able to get one for the same price that you paid for the auction you won. So we will be going head to head. I should be able to get 8s I hope. I'm resubmitting my Piniella to see if I can bump from 7 to 8 but I think the centering will keep me at 7.

So we will be head to head. Happy to see someone I knew added the 10 to their set. I already have that card in 9 so I laid off. Maybe we will be able to trade and help each other. My submission should go out next week to hit the set registry special.
  • Options
    Wabbitwax-
    Now don't go trying to make a run at my #1 BK Tigers Set!