Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

scamming cert numbers for the registry

GARY'S 84D PSA SET

Just got the standard boilerplate emails from psa wanting me to release cert #'s from my set if I sold the items. Problem is, I just added them and have the slabs to prove it. Also of note, 11 psa 10's just closed tonight unsold and all happen to appear in the 7.12% completed set. Add to this the set was also added to the registry today.

What a low-life. Does this happen more often than one might think?

What's the deal Gary, whoever you are???? image

Comments

• Options
    I've had that happen to me, funny enough, with the actual '84 Donruss set. So, we could be eliminating the possibilities here. Hmm...
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Was wondering if it was a good idea to blur out the cert number on the scan of the card up for sale? Or would this cause a potential buyer to not bid, since they couldn't check to see if it was the actual grade of the card? I can see how this could cause problems, as I have bought and won cards off ebay and then added them to my set, I just didn't validate them yet until they reach my hot little hand.
  • Options
    When I sell a coin I never give the ceret # Until after payment has been recieved.
  • Options
    I think I must have missed something here because it seems possible that the owner of the registered set and the seller on ebay could be one in the same.

Unless the certs were stolen from you isn't it possible that this guy just got these graded and is trying to move them?

JMO, Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    It has happened to me has well but not on the 84D set.
    What I find most unusual is that these people actually have time to do this.
    I don't have enough time to enter all the cert #'s that I won. How does one get time to
    find and enter #'s they don't?
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    I think all ebay auctions should be private, so you don't get spiteful shill bidding, among other types of shill bidding, and no certs should be made public. How safe is it for everyone to know that it was you that just bought a PSA 10 card for a few thousand dollars? If they have sold to you previously and could have your address they could consider breaking in to your house, even if you have the card(s) in a safe deposit box at the bank. I think it's nobody's business, but yours of what you buy, unless you want to share it with the public.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think all ebay auctions should be private, so you don't get spiteful shill bidding, among other types of shill bidding, and no certs should be made public. How safe is it for everyone to know that it was you that just bought a PSA 10 card for a few thousand dollars? If they have sold to you previously and could have your address they could consider breaking in to your house, even if you have the card(s) in a safe deposit box at the bank. I think it's nobody's business, but yours of what you buy, unless you want to share it with the public. >>

Change your ID weekly. Nobody could track you. Certs need to in the open.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that I can see the cert numbers. To me its important when you are looking for hard to find (low pop) cards. It gives you the chance to at least verify whether the cards up for sale if around the same time are legit. I will never bid on someones auction when they have multiple of the same card at the same grade with the same cert number in the pic.

As for someone stealing cert numbers to use on the set registery...thats kind a low form of life behavior. I like the fact that I can "compete" for the best set. But I mainly use it as a guide to my player sets. I am sure there have to be more cards out there that are graded and not in the set registery than are in it.

Blurring out cert numbers to me is not that important. I see it along the lines of those who dont show their sets. I dont care if someone sees my cert numbers or my sets. I am in the set registery to keep track of my sets and show off my collection to others. What they see in my registery is just a small portion of my total collection.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    frolico,

better yet get a PO box for your deliveries. Then all the evil people who you have bought something from and have nothing better to do with their time then search for new cards you have won and break into your house cant because they have a PO box for shipping to you.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Radke it sounds like your underwear is too tight. I also don't recall asking for your worthless opinion.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    update on 'Gary's 84D........' registry set:

Well, he just added 3 psa 10's today - 35 Schofield, 61 Rose, and 396 Gossage. Interesting this is, those 3 cards are on ebay right now with several days to go before auction end.

Addtionally, the 11 cards he added that picked my original interest a week or so ago I have just purchased. I'll send scans of these cards to Cosetta when I get them and see if what he's listed matches what I bought. I'll bet you a #645 PSA 10 Geisel that the combined 14 cards discussed here are not, nor ever will be, in his possession.

What a low-life................
  • Options
    Since behavior of this sort is against Registry rules, isn't it enough to get this guy banned from inclusion?

PSA should delete the set. If he insists he's legit then PSA should insist on proof before any cards from the set are reinstated.

Bottom line is though, these things find a way of going away on their own. Sooner or later the perp will get bored of it.
    I too am amazed frankly that anyone would go through the trouble to manage it all.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    There's a psa 10 Ryan just listed with 9+ days to go. Cert# 31210418. Let's see if Gary adds this to his set before the auction closes. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The problem here is when someone legit tries to add the cards to a set?

Bill that checklist was useful to you? if so im glad. i had thought the Bumbry was decent too. the others like you said would be OC and were.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ray.........check my posts above on a (the) Rose.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Question: How does just sending a scan prove ownership of the card? Maybe the scan was taken from the auction? Just wondering.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>Question: How does just sending a scan prove ownership of the card? Maybe the scan was taken from the auction? Just wondering.

Stingray >>

There is no way. pSA should require to send a scan of the cards with a piece of paper cantaining a message they tell you to write to prove you have it.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    According to the 85% of the general public: adults collecting baseball cards is for dorks.

According to 99.999% of the dorks, like me, who collect baseball cards: Scamming cert numbers for the PSA Set Registry is the silliest, stupidest thing on the planet. I'm not angry - I simply feel sad for someone who is so low on their self-esteem or whatever that they feel the need to prove themselves with certification numbers of cards they do not own.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    This is more of an irritant than any thing else...........kinda like gnats in your face on a humid east coast afternoon. I could care less about his set - regardless of percentage, gpa, etc. It's just bothersome that psa has to be notified, scans send, bla-bla-bla. Watching grass grow would be more exciting than stealing cert #'s for a ficticious registry set IMO.

• Options
    PSA should address this. Period. I'm going to keep pushing this to the top until they do.
    Just how many people does Cosetta need to hear from on this topic?

Carol? Joe?

RayBShotz
  • Options
    There is nothing more frustrating then spending money on a card and getting excited about putting it in your set only to find out that it is in someone else's set. Then emailing set registry/CU with a scan of the front and back of the card and waiting for it to be opened up for you to insert.

In the realm of things in life to worry about this is very tiny, I agree it is a pain, but right now it is the only way to get around this problem.

And yes, there is a difference between someone who sold the card and didnt release it from their set and someone stealing certs as discussed in this thread.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    ttt; till we get answers.
    Ray