Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1985 Topps Football Thread

Just wanted to start a thread where the 85 football collectors can share stories and set goals with each other.

I am working on this set in 8/9, with the stars in 9, and commons in 8. If I can pick up some nice deals on the commons in 9, I am not opposed to them, though image

I know this is a 'modern' set, but I love it (as my love of black-bordered cards seems to be well known).

I recently moved into #7, and have no illusions about ever having the #1 set (hello, MOSH?) But this is a fun set to put together, and the photography is incredible. The team cards, typically so uninspired in past topps issues, are among my favorite cards in the set.

Throw in a ton of HoFers (I think 33?), and second year cards of both Marino and Elway (anyone have an Elway in 9 they want to move?), and you end up with an incredible set.

The Elway is definitely the card I am looking for most right now, but I haven't seen a 9 since I started working on this set. I would love a Payton as well in 9, but right now that action is incredible (the last one closed at $150 and that was a bargain!)

My set is in my signature line, so if anyone has some cards I need, definitely let me know!

Comments

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Although I haven't started putting this set together, I do regard it as one of my favorite football issues of all time. It just really connected with me. Although it lacks that really strong RC card to push it through the roof (Only Moon, right?), it's still a great set. I've got the Marino 2nd year card in 9, the Marino/Montana LL in 9 and the Marino RB in 9 as part of my Marino Master player set and it does seem like that card is out there more than the Elway. I've actually not seen one for quite some time, although I haven't been looking for it either too much.

Good luck with your set! Those are tough cards due to those borders, my friend. What are commons going for these days?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I have hundreds of these cards setting around that I have opened in the past year from wax and or cello, I have been wanting to send them in for grading but I am too busy working on my other set registries right now. This is an awesome set, the black borders make them extremely hard to get in high grade even fresh from the pack.

• AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    If anyone has any raw 85's that they do not plan on submitting, I would be interested in purchasing a few. I know I need #124-Lawrence Taylor and I think a few Cowboy cards. Please send me a PM if so.
    Thanks and good luck to all--the black border sets are killer.
    James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Chris_C_Allen (EBAY user id) was very active with '85 Topps FB, however he has discontinued collecting this set. Chris has several PSA 9s, PSA 8s and a few PSA 10s available. He does have several PSA 9s currently listed on EBAY - which will end this evening.

Most of his low population cards were sold to Mike King (a.k.a Metal Mike) who is the #3 PSA Registery Set. If anyone wishes to contact him - please use the EBAY contact member method or PM me.
  • AHHHHHH yes, the 85 football set!!! I've had a passion for this set ever since I first laid eyes on these cards 20 years ago! I started a registry set 2-3 years ago and made it to 40% before selling almost everything and putting the idea to rest. 6 months ago the 85's came calling my name once again and I started my registry set once again. I love those black borders, the design, and the huge challenge of finding high grade singles. The first 50% of this set isn't too bad, you can put it together rather quickly but the second half is TOUGH!! I've opened dozens and dozens of boxes the last few years and sometimes you don't get one single card worth grading from a whole box. The Elway is VERY tough to find in high grade, there are only 27 psa-9's as of a week ago. Most Elway's have major corner wear and centering problems. I don't think most people realize how hard the Elway is to get because when there has been a Elway on ebay they just don't get the money they should. Granted there are 27 9's out there! The Payton is very tough too, only 8 PSA-9's. Most Payton's have corner damage and bad print spots. The Payton record breaker is no easier. The highlight of my set is my Elway Psa-9 and my Joe Montana Psa-10, both of these I pulled from packs and submitted myself.

My goal is to have a complete set in psa-9 or psa-10's. I will never be able to catch sixdart or mosh but I'll still have a great looking set in my eyes. The 85 set is a great set to collect and for all of you potential 85 set builders, JUMP IN, you'll have a blast.

Mike
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    ax,
    i picked up 4 rack packs last week. if i pull something that looks good and you need for your set i'll try to add to my next sub.

good luck in your qwest,
    LD

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite sets!

Greetings to all the other '85 Topps Football guys, most of whom I already know.

I originally started with only the 85 Bears Team Set, as those were the first football cards I collected as a kid. Right after the Bears won Superbowl XX. Then, in my quest for a Dent RC, I bought a couple boxes. I sent in a few of the stars with the Bears and I was hooked!

I still have a long way to go, though. I'm only ~35% complete.

I'm trying for a PSA 8/9 set, depending on cost. I don't need the #1 spot, but the top 5 would be okay.

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    six-

I won 10 of his auctions tonight...payment sent, so hopefully I'll have those soon to go with those I purchased from you as well.

Mike-

Great job on those 10s...the Montana is incredible!

LD-

Absolutely let me know if/when you send those in...I'd always rather buy from members here than anonymous folk on the bay.

Anyone who's interested in selling me some feel free to contact me:

axtell2k3@yahoo.com
  • I had the only bgs 9.5 Elway from this set about a year ago. I had it graded myself. In my opinion, it could have crossed to a PSA 10. I had owned the card raw for about 10 years before sending it in.

I ended up selling it on ebay for around 1100.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,
    You guys may have pulled me into this mess! I just picked up my first 3 '85s tonight. All PSA 9's. I got Merriweather, Warner, and Klecko for about $18 total plus shipping. How did I do? Ironically, growing up, this is one of the few football sets I didn't collect, so go figure!

Mark
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Hi all, I normally don't bump old threads to spam my auctions, but I am doing exactly that tonight. I decided that I have too mny projects going on, and this is bottom of the food chain. I'm breaking up a partial set I started putting together over a year ago, and have started listing them tonight. I'm probably going to go in numerical order. Please take a look if interested.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
    I only see (1) card listed?
    Did anyone here win this Payton?

Payton
  • It looks to be a Payton or Bears collector? I don't recognize this Ebay'er as a regular '85 bidder.
    Is that the normal going price for a Payton 9?
    That's low, but to be expected as the population of 9's increases.

I bought my Payton 9 from Marcus for $250, and I believe he sold a few others at that price. At the time, there were only 7-8? graded MINT 9. Now, I think the population is up to 11.
  • Yes, the population jumped from 7 -> 8 -> 11 in the last 2 weeks. I was fortunate to grade 4 myself last spring - just luck? The Elway and the Payton are the toughest star cards from that set.

Considering all the Payton, Bears fans and '85 collectors, this card will always be in high demand.
  • lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    A new leader in the 1985 registry! Nice job sixdart, sticking it to MOSH.
  • Congrats Marcus! You must have submitted.
    Got a few 10s even - very nice work.
    Jeremy
    Thank you guys!

He (MOSH) was 77% complete when I began this set, so it's been a long climb to the top. It's tough to compete against MOSH, but it can be done!
    I can not take credit for all of the recent additions, so I'd like to thank Michael King (a.k.a CU - Metal Mike 20 and EBAY - KING77)! He's a great guy and finally gave into my repeated requests to sell.
  • gave into my repeated requests to sell.

Ala the Godfather, did you "make him an offer he couldn't refuse"?image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    Congrats Marcus! Getting ahead of MOSH on any set is quite the achievement.
    Frank,

Yes - I think we both did. Looks like you'll be moving on up as well? I also shipped your cards this morning.

Eric,

Anyone passing MOSH should get a special award.

I didn't think I'd ever pass him! I hit the wall when I reached 65% and I had to manufacture my own grades. Buying unopened material was not only expensive, but fruitless - which was frustrating. PSA has been tougher than ever on this set.
  • Marcus- Yes, I believe Mike is happy and I will be moving up dramatically. I also located some 85 sets this weekend while rummaging through my basement inventory. After I break the wax box I bought, I'll check the cards in those sets to see what is worthy for grading.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    1985 Topps Football guru's: Long time lurker, infrequent poster needs your advise.

I recently received the grades from my November sub, which included a few of my 1985 Moon rookies. Needless to say, I was somewhat disappointed with the 12.5 to 1 PSA 8 to 9 ratio on my submission. The latest pop report lists #251 Moon at 838 PSA8's vs 194 PSA9's, a 4.3 to 1 ratio. I would have been more satisfied had I hit the ratio, but still disappointed. I have another 200+ Moon's I would like to have graded, but at these odds I might consider grading a different set/year/player.

Would I have better luck submitting onezy, twozy quantities of this particular year? Any other comments, suggestions from the board members would be welcomed. TIA, Michael

My 1985 FB cards submitted:

PSA Order Status for Submission # 570265, zip 30067

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    64 12432931 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432932 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432933 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432934 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432935 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432936 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432937 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432938 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432939 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 9
    64 12432940 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432941 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432942 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432943 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432944 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432945 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432946 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432947 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 9
    64 12432948 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432949 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432950 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432951 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432952 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432953 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432954 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8
    64 12432955 1985 TOPPS 251 WARREN MOON N/A 8

Date Received: 12/06/2005
    Date of Grades Posted: 12/22/2005
    Date Shipped: 12/22/2005
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • I'm looking to pick up a 1985 Topps #251 Warren Moon PSA 9 card. If you are willing to sell one of them, I'd pay $55 delivered for it. (last one on ebay went for $48 I think).

My email is kenny98z11@yahoo.com if that is a good offer for you.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    What did you hope to get on all those Moon's after you inspected them? Any common problems that you think contributed to the 8s (as opposed to 9s)?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Digi,

I have spent many an hour inspecting and submitting 73 BB to think I know what the graders want for that year. I had never submitted 85 FB, so my only concept of what to expect (and inspect) was based on previous experience, the 85 pop report, and what I have read on these boards. I realize 85 FB is tough, but my goal to take the best of my 8 raw vending sets, and create a PSA8 or better 85 set may be presumptious.

I thought I had inspected my 85 Moon rookie's carefully enough to send in the best of my best. Maybe I sent in too many at one time. Maybe I selected the wrong submission vehicle. Maybe I received the PSA "god" (grader of death) on my entire submission, and he was pissed I combined 25 Moon rookie's with a 1973 Clemente that received a PSA9. Maybe once they are all slabbed, I will see a surface wrinkle that was not obvious to the 10x loop I use to inspect my cards. (After all, it is still my eyes I am using to inspect them!) I did not really have an expectation, other than thinking my 1991 SC Farve's should be 10's, some of the Moon's should have been 10's, and I hoped that after sending in over 500 1973 Topps BB this year, one of the 58 I sent in this time would be a 10. After over 600 cards submitted this year, I have not yet received my first 10. image

I am beginning to believe that no matter what I submit, since I always send in on the special or on free cert's, I will never see a 10. Maybe I should have my eyes checked again, and get a new pair of glasses. I am not sure of the cure.

Thanks for your question.....
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
    Email reply sent.
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
    It's all in the corners for PSA 9s/10s. As I've said before, this black bordered set seems to be held to higher standard vs. other Topps (white bordered) issues from that era.

In regards to the Moon ... the left-hand border often has surface wrinkles or manufacturing dents that can only be seen under10X.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The 85 set is an absolute bear to deal with...especially in dealing with opening wax/racks to submit cards.

I had a large lot of what I suspected would be worth sending in, but upon consulting with six, it was obvious that the best of my rips still would only garner 8s (and therefore just be cheaper to buy already slabbed).

There are a few things I've noticed in the pop report...like there being no checklists available above 8, and some odd cards that simply are impossible to find, period. For such a modern set, there are very, very few of the superstars out there in 9 (and next to no 10s).

It's amazing to me that the 85 Payton in 9 continues to see action above $150 consistently, a testament to the work this set is.

Haven't heard too much lately from the '85 Topps Football crew. Any new finds or good deals out there recently?

I'm not pursuing this set too hard, but picking up inexpensive 9s here and there. So far, I've got about a dozen or so cards. Anyone have some 9s that they need to move?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • After picking up an Irving Fryar PSA 9 rookie ($13), I have slid into 15th overall image

This is such a beautiful set and I'm taking it slow, but it's already becoming one of my favorites to collect. Gotta love/hate the black borders and the horizontal cards just add to that 'old school' feel to the cards.

By the way, anyone know of any unopened '85 Topps Football for a decent price?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Arny,
    I bought a couple of rack packs off of Mark's FB Cards awhile back. IMO, they were in excellent shape.

Mark
  • FWIW, '85 Payton PSA 9 and '85 Marino PSA 9 on the bay right now.
    There are always a few Marino 9s out there...but, there are more than just my two eyes on that Payton....I'm sure of that! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    metalmike20 has some PSA 9s coming this week - you can PM him here or contact him through EBAY ( king77 ). He had about 40-50 PSA 9s and a few PSA 8s on his last 3 submissions.

I have a few extra commons, a Clayton RC and HOF'ers (Munoz, Largent, Marino, Munchak RC) coming in PSA 9 as well.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i just picked up a wax box from BBCE. i'll try to post some scans sunday night of the bust.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Sixdart, I threw a little PM your way image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • I've been meaning to ask this question and keep forgetting to do so. What are the top 5 or top 10 toughest cards that I should bid heavy on based on scarcity out there? I know that some cards low pop but go for relatively decent prices, but there are some star/rookie cards that go a lot higher than SMR even if their pop numbers aren't exactly that low. From what folks are discussing, the Walter Payton ends up at around the $100 in PSA 9....what others?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Arny,
    I know Elway is very tough, also. I believe Richard Dent is also.

Mark

• << <i>I've been meaning to ask this question and keep forgetting to do so. What are the top 5 or top 10 toughest cards that I should bid heavy on based on scarcity out there? I know that some cards low pop but go for relatively decent prices, but there are some star/rookie cards that go a lot higher than SMR even if their pop numbers aren't exactly that low. From what folks are discussing, the Walter Payton ends up at around the $100 in PSA 9....what others? >>

I asked about the payton card a few weeks back and was told Payton went in the $275 range with the last one a few months ago going for around $175.
    I once saw a Dent PSA 9 go for $99 ( think it may have even been sixdarts auction)
    Elways are the toughest card of the set by mosts opinion with Payton second.

Im certainly no expert on the set only convey what i've heard.
  • Point of reference....I just got an Elway 9 for $40 a couple of weeks ago on eBay. So, I doubt that the Elway is the hardest to find in PSA 9 shape..although, you could argue that the Elway might have more 'mainstream' demand than the Payton nowadays.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    The Elway has certainly come down in price recently, then. I remember a few months back they were going for $75-$100.
  • First off a little ebay spam for the 85 collector's I've just listed about 45 psa-9 85's on ebay tonight, they end Sunday night. There is a nice mix of stars and some low pop 9's also. These are all solid 9's, good centering, very little chipping, and limited print dots if any. Look under the ebay id: king77

I don't think the Elway is any tougher to get a psa-9 over a psa-9 Payton. Actually I would say they are both equally very tough. Out of all the star cards in this set these are THE toughest to get in PSA-9. There is yet a example of each card to grade PSA-10. Yes the Elway's have been getting $100, $75, and $40 but the pop is also higher. There are 30 psa-9 Elway's and only 12 psa-9 Payton's. The price on the Payton has slowly dropped with each sale of a 9 and will eventually level out as more get graded and as more of the hardcore Payton collectors and 85 collectors accquire this card. I think we would see the Elway at a much higher level if the pop was only a 12 also. Overall they are BOTH tough!

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Looks like the #1 set in the registry (Rider Collection) is now 100% complete! Congratulations!

Even though he finished it off, at this point, with a couple of PSA 7s....it's still an accomplishment overall to be ahead of a MOSH set!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Thank you. I've worked very hard on this set over the past few years.

I'll have to give a special thank you to Mike King (a.k.a. metalmike20).
  • Just picked up the PSA 9 Art Monk card (for less than $9 image ) and have moved to within a smidgen of 14th place. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards