Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1955 Topps baseball (unofficial thread)

Cards bought raw and graded would be nice to see.

The 55 set is one of my favorite sets. Horizontal drawings of players with a backround scene gives these cards a vintage look and feel. one can build a set in ex/mnt condition w/o breaking the bank.

(Rhodes is #1 in the set) It being card 1 made it a condition sensitive card and a premium exsists for this card in almost all grades. This particular speciman was purchased off ebay by a canadian seller. he thought it to be ex or better and by golly he was right. An opening bid of 9.99 was the only bid and with 3.00 in postage and a free grade from PSA I had it holdered w/ a grade of 6.

I especially liked the centering, the card has 1 mint corner 2 nmnt and 1 ex. making this card a true ex/mnt card.

the back is toned and it is on the matte finish stock

who's next?
Good for you.

Comments

• magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Steve, This is one of my very favorite sets. The only card I have from it currently is a raw Ray Herbert (?). Perhaps a few years down the road after I've worked through the sets I'm currently collecting, I'll turn to this.........just a great looking set with a ton of HOFers.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    17 (HOF) to be exact Dave with a few of them being rookie cards to boot. I have noticed that raw ex-ex/mnt cards goin cheap as of late on ebay.
    Good for you.
  • I have just discovered this set in the past year (actually after seeing the 2004 Heritage set) and really like the design. I am going to give the set a go in PSA 5. I just have a couple of questions as I get started:
    1) What is a reasonable price for commons at this grade? I will primarily be picking cards up off ebay.

2) Which cards are particularly difficult (low populations) to find?

3) Is there anything else worth knowing about this set?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David
    Hi David and welcome.

The 55 set is very challanging. A set in true ex condition is one that presents well and has built in value. With that said trying to buy already slabbed commons on ebay is not easy. You do see them from time to time but more often then not only stars are usually found. ( in the psa 5 grade ) However It may be wiser to consider ex/mnt 6 as those can be had. Remm that their are psa 6's and their are psa 6's try to avoid those that are way off centered side to side and were "given that grade". look for those that are true 6's ones that are decently centered. Centered cards off at the bottom do not look that bad as long as a stripe of white is there. The high numbers can be 2x smr at times. You can build a raw/ graded set one in which the key cards are slabbed and the more common ones left unholdered. Be wary of 3rd tier grading companys always remm you get what you pay for. Good luck it is a fun journey.

only variation is card 106 Sullivan

try for psa 6 for all HOF's

Steve image

see what i mean? centering doesnt look that bad if side to side is decent. top/bottom can be off and still present well.
    Good for you.
  • David
    Welcome aboard. The 55 Topps is a great set. I am at about 43% completion in 5,6 & 7. 6 commons can be had for around $10-11, 5's don't pop up all that often but when they do they can be had cheap because many collectors try and go 7 or better. 7 is when thy start getting pricey. I just picked up a 5 #107 Curt Roberts yesterday for $1.94. The shipping will cost me almost double what I paid for the card. The set does seem to be gaining in popularity as the final prices on the 6's and up have been increasing recently. I have a couple dups if you're interested. Take care.

Scott
    Lamont lets see some scans...

this mathews card purchased on ebay. that white speck under the sig is not on the card but on the scanner. this particular card has that yellow streak to the left of the braves logo. i have seen many mathews cards and 90% have that. this card has nice centering and would not look out of place in a 7 holder.
    Good for you.
  • Steve and Scott,
    Thanks for the help. I think I will try the set in 5 and 6 and maybe pick up a few raw along the way if they look good. This will be a long term project, especially as my budget is fairly limited right now. I will just take my time and enjoy the process.

Scott, I would be interested in your duplicates. Let me know.

Thanks,
    David

• Some nice hi numbers, up close the Berra isn't too bad a bunch of white still at the top.

this thread is now good for the crapper
    Good for you.
  • i am bringing it back cause i just got a clemente!!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    i'm doing the set raw but have some graded commons. basically the same thought though decent centering and presentable cards that would grade somewhere between 5-7. i may do the stars graded, atleast the big ones. this would be a nice thread to keep going.

i have a want list:
    1955 topps

2 williams-4 kaline-5 gilliam –7 hegan-28 banks-47 aaron-50 j. robinson-65 boone-123 koufax-124-killabrew-152 agganis-156 black-158 carroll-162 coleman-163 throneberry-164 clemente-166 bauer-167 casagrande-169 oldis-175-182 h. robinson-183 jacobs-186-187 hodges-188 silvera-191 stanky-193 sain-194 mays-195 roebuck-196 wade-198 berra-199 hamric-200 jensen-201 lollar-202 owens-203-204 f. smith-208 moore-210 snider

upgrades
    1-7-18-19-36-63-98-101-119-145-147-154-157

i also have some graded commons in psa/sgc 5-6 if anyone is interested. when i get a chance i'll post some scans.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys...great thread and really nice set overall. Here are a few that I have.

Jeff

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own the 55T Teddy Ballgame set, currently 13th in the Registry. My set consists of 158 PSA 8s, 45 PSA 7s, and 3 PSA 6s. The 3 PSA 6s are not the toughest to find in higher grade, but are very expensive, they are Clemente, Koufax and Snider, clearly the premiere cards of this set. Just to get these 3 in PSA 8 would hit you for around $13k +/-. Finding a Monte Irvin PSA 8 will also dent your wallet!

I would think collecting this set in PSA 5 and PSA 6 would not be too difficult a challenge, more a function of what your wallet can stand. Sometimes you can find lot groups that can put you well on your way to completing the set, when you begin to get dupes, just sell them to recoup your investment. If centering top to bottom or left to right is not a huge issue with you, then you will find you have amassed a very impressive collection at the end of the 206 card journey. I would strongly advise seeking the 4 cards not originally issued, # 175, Stan Musial; # 186, Whitey Ford; # 203, Bob Feller; and # 209, Herb Score. These cards were offered at the 2005 National Show. If you search eBay for 55 Topps 2005 National, you should get close to finding these 4 cards in raw, if not slabbed condition.

The set, when completed offers a very impressive sight when viewed all together. I built a display case for my set which houses all 210 cards. The case has a "footprint" on my wall of about 7' X 5'. It just so happens that 15 cards across x 14 rows = 210! How convenient. The carpentry is basic stuff, should you decide to go slabbed, it is easy to figure out. IF you do this, place the case on a north facing wall to avoid sunlight.

When I get around to it, I'll take a pic of my set and post it...not to brag, just to share so you will be encouraged to collect this magnificent set. You just can't go wrong with putting this thing together, truly a beauty that you will enjoy for years and years to come!! All the reds, blues, greens and yellows compliment each other beautifully when displayed on a wall!!

GET STARTED!!!
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I get around to it, I'll take a pic of my set and post it...not to brag, just to share so you will be encouraged to collect this magnificent set. >>

Please do! I'll look forward to seeing it--sounds very impressive. image
    Just to get these 3 in PSA 8 would hit you for around $13k +/-

Really? I was thinking more like 8 or 9 k ??

Maybe the prices are up? I know the Clemente will fetch 5 k by itself the other two were 2k cards I thought.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • This is a fantastic set, and probably my next project once I reach 75% completion on my '57's. From what I've seen, it's pretty difficult to put together in NM-MT condition. Anyone have any scans they'd like to share? Here's one of mine:

Keith

• << <i>Just to get these 3 in PSA 8 would hit you for around $13k +/-

Really? I was thinking more like 8 or 9 k ??

Maybe the prices are up? I know the Clemente will fetch 5 k by itself the other two were 2k cards I thought.

Steve >>

Here are the avg prices per VCP...

Snider: Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8 - Average Price: $2,876.84

Koufax: Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8 - Average Price: $2,448.27

Clemente:Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8 - Average Price: $5,446.58

Total: $10,771.69

So with shipping and insurance your probably around 11K.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
    VCP, like SMR are merely guides, whose information should be used as such. While SMR (IMO) is all but useless, VCP does provide data on those cards that have actually sold. It is important to keep in mind that VCP uses a floating average, which changes as cards within each grade are sold. Some obviously sell higher, some lower. Often times it is a function of luck and timing. I still doubt you'll find a Clemente 8 for much less than $6k, a Koufax 8 for much less than $3.5k and a Snider 8 for much less than $3k. If you find a Clemente 8 for $5k, snap it up, you've found a bargain!

There is a distinct delay on eBay sales...in this case, while the Koufax currently shows an average of apporximately $2.5k, it DOES NOT account for the recent sale of a Koufax PSA 8 for an astounding $9,999.00. Additionally, once this data is entered into the VCP database, the "average" sale of a Koufax will become substantilly skewed. One needs to do his/her own research on these 3 particular cards, and bid accordingly, snipers cause bumping, thus the incredible almost $10k price of the Koufax 8 that sold last week.

This is all moot, as the thread is about collecting in the PSA 5-6 range. Therefore, these 3 cards could perhaps be acquired for well under $2k, perhaps $1.7k +/- in the PSA 6 arena. These 3 will be your most expensive purchases at the PSA 5/6 level.
    The Koufax 8 that went for 9,999.999 was a bogus bid meant to disrupt the auction.

The card in question was actually an 8OC. The seller made no mention of.

I'll gladly accept the fact that Koufax in 8 is now a 3, 500.00 card seeimg that I own one.

Steve

Good for you.
    You are correct on the Koufax 8 that went for $9,999.99. The cert comes up as an 8OC, which the seller conveniently omitted in all aspects of his auction. Any buyer falling into a trap like this where the description does not match the item will win in a dispute with eBay and be refunded...I know!

The seller of this item has apparently only been around a short time, with a mere 144 or so feedbacks. Yet he has a 100% rating, I suspect if he keeps this kinda crap up he will get to be known for what he is. Worst yet, the camera flash leads one to think the omission of the OC on the slab is caused by the flash, it is not...looks like it got photo shopped off. IF I had the power I'd ban him from eBay, clearly an apparent attempt to defraud the interested bidder. No mention whatsoever of the qualifier.

Anyway, I think your Koufax 8 is certainly in the $3-$3.5k range.

BTW, the bogus Koufax 8 does show up in VCP under their new PSA AUTH, meaning the card has a qualifier. Interestingly, the average cost did not go up at all, perhaps they have a ceiling of some kind that omits further skewing. There was a time however, when qualifiers did go into the non-qualifier side, which did in fact skew the true average of the card.

For those trying to put this set together, and if you doubt the card, always go to the cert verification link to make sure PSA has the card as a non-qualifier card...unless you like qualifiers.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I love this set as well. I am making two sets (raw and graded in PSA 7+). I am only one card away from the raw set and about half way finished on the PSA 7 set. My suggestion to those who are looking to make the set in PSA 5 or 6 quality is contact guys here on the board and on the set registry that are doing PSa 7+ sets. Many of those guys (like me) have PSa 5/6 cards that they don't need for their set. I sold all of my mid grade cards on here two months ago to a fellow collector who got a 54 cards towards his set.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    MCMLVTopps,

Pretty sure VCP throws out the lowest and highest sales prices when doing their average calculation. This is probably why it did not affect the current average.

Jeff
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started to put this set together in the early 90s. It was my goal to finish it in PSA last year but I fell a little short having 6 cards to get slabbed. I sent in a free 9 card sub for being 75% just before the end of the year. If there are no rejects I will only have one to go. I do have the missing cards in raw but filler quality. Jeff8877 that is a beautiful Mays, looks nicer than my PSA 5. I am all over the place in quality having Williams in PSA 3 (I have an upgrade in my submission, probably a nice 5 with outside shot at 6)Rhodes in PSA 8 and most cards in 7 with expensive cards in lower quality. It is indeed difficult to complete in NM-MT as there are only 8 sets in the registry completed at 8.00 or better. It is a set that Davalillo has yet to complete in 8 or better. Besides having the means to purchase the more difficult cards you have to find them. It has ben a long journey putting this set together and when I finally get that last card I may try to upgrade some of my lower quality cards.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• And that Koufax 8OC was listed in VCP as a qualifier and will not effect the PSA 8 price value. Also keep in mind when there are 2 or more auctions within a year the high and low are thrown out to balance out a little bit of the crazy numbers in there.
    clearly an apparent attempt to defraud the interested bidder.

Yes it was.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Need some help from the 55 experts on this card. Wanting to know if you guys think this has centering that is good enough to get it in a 7 holder. The corners appear NM/MT. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Jeff

Here are a couple 7s I found that don't look near as good as the 6 above??

Need some help from the 55 experts on this card. Wanting to know if you guys think this has centering that is good enough to get it in a 7 holder. The corners appear NM/MT. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

I doubt it. I have seen some 7s with poor centering but this one is a little too poor. Someone may have asked for no qualifiers, it appears that it could have been a PSA 8 OC.
    IMHO Centering meets requirements for a 6 but not a 7.

Ralph

• smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭
    I currently have the number 21 set on the registry. I have always loved this set and actually started collecting it raw in the late 1970's. My biggest pride is the cards I had bought raw years ago that graded highly, like the Koufax which is now in a PSA 8 holder. This is a gorgeous set and really worth collecting.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • i am looking for low grade raw..please let me know if any of you have any...i am also looking for raw low grade 54 topps cards..
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    Got up this morning, checked the obits, I was not there so I next checked my e-mail, results in from PSA on my free ($40) subs. Seven of nine cards were about what I thought, Williams was indeed a 5, nice upgrade. I cracked out two cards, # 81 went from PSA 6 to 6.5, but the biggest dissapointment was # 205 Freese went from the nicest PSA 5 I have seen to not holdered, Altered Stock. So instead of needing only one more card to complete the set I need Two.
    I am generally confident in PSAs grading however one dissagreement I have is not downgrading cards that go in for review. I can understand if my Freese card was sent in for review ( it was not) and felt to be less than a 5 this is a minor disagreement between graders and by policy should remain in its holder,but if the reviewer detects the altered stock it should not remain in the holder. This may result in a little less business for PSA but their biggest asset is the confidence we have in their ability to authenticate and grade.
    I may send in the two cards I need which will come back in very low grade and move on to my 1960 set or wait for better examples to come along. I may resubmit the Freese but I don't like having to make all these decisions. I'm going for another cup of coffee (decaf, doctors orders). UGHHHH

Ralph

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    picked these 2 up this week for my raw set, not bad for a high number and semi high under $8 delivered and nicely centered with no creases

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Here a recent pickup of Hank Agganis that I was looking for a quite awhile for a nicely centered one. image
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    nice card! I really didnt focus on centering as much as trying to buy the cards for as little as possible just to complete the set. I will search out some scans in my set that are worth posting
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I am starting a lowend raw set (commons in the 4-6 range, stars in 2-3) and was curious, would I be overpaying for commons at $3-4 dollars and high numbers at $7-8? Feels like a fair price, but I have no shows around here for a few weeks that would give me an idea of what I can get at shows.

I am going to do the set slowly. I found someone who has most of the commons available and am leaning toward getting most of the Senators and Pirates from him first at the above mention prices. He claims ex-exmint, but I am getting scans from him tonight to confirm.

Thoughts?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
    Ali

Those prices you tout seem pretty good to me, good luck!

If I was building this set (again) I'd look for the nicest centered cards i could find.

I'd say my set was (if completely graded) EX+ or 5.50

I have the complete set, I only had all the HOF's graded and a few others.

1955 Topps is a very abundant set.

Steve
    Good for you.
    ere a recent pickup of Hank Agganis that I was looking for a quite awhile for a nicely centered one

Very nice card Relaxed, tuff one to find centered, perhaps among the hardest in the set.

Steve
    Good for you.

here is a 5 that I wish all my 5's looked like.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I don't have much to add here other than that I enjoy viewing the scans of these cards here. The Ted Williams in the SGC holder is a visual beauty. The Killebrew is attractive. In my opinion, this is Topps' third of four sets in a row that are terrific visually (1953, 1954, 1955, 1956). Threads like this inspire me to build my collection and start this set sometime. The 1955 Topps Baseball is one of those issues that can even appear handsome in an SGC 10 or PSA 1 holder.

The only 1955 Topps card I own is a Jackie Robinson PSA 6. How I wish there were a '55 Topps card of one of my favorites, Richie Ashburn. If someone has ever mocked up such a card, that would be cool to see a scan here.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Steve - hell, I wish half of my sixes looked as good as that 5 of Harmon!

Nick
    Some of you guys have probably seen this but it is my favorite 6 of all time. Waiting for my renewal to try and get bumped.

Love your Killer Steve...that's a beauty.

Jeff

• Jeff, I can see why the Clemente is your favorite PSA 6. The olive background color fading in intensity from left to right, the boldness of the image, and the unexpectedly-cool looking Pirate logo all make the card handsome, besides being a well-centered example and obvious depiction of a legend. Good luck to you when it comes time for PSA 6.5 EX-MT+ consideration.

I would post pictures here if I knew how. image)
    Wow that is a seriously nice PSA 6 Clemente, I'd have no problem seeing that in a 7 holder.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I am diving in on building a 1955 Topps set in PSA 5 and 6s that are centered. I just picked up a lot of 25 from detroitfan2. Anyone else out there have a bunch of centered PSA 5 or 6s?

Thanks.
    Working on the following raw centered EX+ to EX/MT sets:
    1955 Topps Set - 92% Complete
    1956 Topps Set - 100% Complete
  • This was the first set I put together when I started collecting again at the age of 40. I really liked this set and found it relatively easy to put together in PSA-7 format. I also had some PSA-8OC cards and did not focus on centering as I prefered the pack fresh look and sharp corners at the time. It was not terribly expensive and was truly pleasurable. I think differently today at the age of 45 as I am working on the 1953 TOPPS set. I, like most others seem to prefer centered cards and would not even consider an OC variation, just 7's and 7.5's for this set for me and they are not coming very cheap . . . way more challenging than the other sets I have completed including the 1941 Play Ball, 1955 TOPPS and 1960 TOPPS all in the same grade. I did not realize what I was in for when I started but I am up to about 150 cards with only a few of the semi biggies.
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    I have just started this set and intend for it to be NM or better RAW. I am only 35 cards in and all commons except the Monte Irvin. So far including the Monte Irvin I am just over $5 per card invested. ($5.18 to be exact) Anyway, MOST of the cards are NM or better so far, except for a few that are EX+ to EX-MT+ instead(poor dealer eye). I see that even PSA is liberal on the centering as I see 7's with no qualifiers are allowed to be pretty far O/C.

If anyone has some extras of the set in NM or better raw, please PM. Would love to work something out with you.
  • Below are some scans of the two key cards of the set I am working on:

Working on the following raw centered EX+ to EX/MT sets:
    1955 Topps Set - 92% Complete
    1956 Topps Set - 100% Complete
    psarosefan Tremendous color on your Clemente. Here is mine nicely centered but surface not as nice. [URL=http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/rsrhodessr/?action=view&current=55clementepsa4.jpg]image[/URL]

Ralph

Here it is again. How do I hit a happy medium? image

Ralph