Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1979 Topps Hockey

I see this set finally got some tens in the pop. For the longest time they had 0. You would think lots of this stuff has been cracked to get the great one's rookie. Just started working on this set in PSA 9. Seems like a few came up on ebay and zip since. Could be one of the toughest PSa 9 or 10's in recent puck to get anybody in. I suppose the wax is more valuable sealed. Anybody break any of this stuff and have any luck getting decent cards from packs.

Comments

• goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    my favorite set!

tough, tough, issue. i have been buying graded 79's on ebay for 2 years, and i'm 11% complete on the set. i might be able to purchase a lot of 65 PSA 8's as well, which would be a huge jump. what 9's do you have? i have Gordie, Hull, Esposito, and Ron Stackhouse (used to have a Gretzky 9, but i sold it).

i have Hull and Tony Esposito 8's that i don't need, so lmk if you need them
    also, i know the guy who's at #1 on the Registry. he gave me some advice on buying packs. never, EVER buy 3 pack trays, and try to stick to unopened packs from either GAI or reputable dealers.
  • grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    I have about 20 raw commons in NM-MT or even maybe MINT condition if anyone wants them. Just let me know and I'll send them free of charge.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i> also, i know the guy who's at #1 on the Registry. he gave me some advice on buying packs. never, EVER buy 3 pack trays, and try to stick to unopened packs from either GAI or reputable dealers. >>

What's the matter with the trays?
    packaged too tightly together, causing a ton of corner damage
  • ranchranch Posts: 341
    I never really liked the 1979 Topps Hockey set, why not just collect the O-Pee-Chee version?

Here is why I think the O-Pee-Chee version is better:

1) There are 396 cards in the complete set, Topps only has 264.

2) The O-Pee-Chee cards are harder to find in mint condition, that's what makes this set so exciting.

3) The Topps Gretzky RC is worth half the price of the O-Pee-Chee version.

4) And the O-Pee-Chee set itself is worth double than the Topps version.
  • I like both versions of this set. Currently have a complete Topps set and looking for complete OPC set w/o Gretzky in nmmt+.

Also, any hockey collectors with nmmt+ 84-85 set in Topps or OPC I'm looking for those too. Thanks, Brad.
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭

good to see this set getting its much overdue discussion. as for cracking packs open, there are some reputable people out there and quite a few that arent. i'll stick to the positve's : dave and adams, baseball card kid, bbcexchange. i have also cracked open a lot of gai packs from this year. i really had my doubts about some 8's and definitely anything lower-the 9's all seemed to be truly unopened. as for the wax tray 3 packs, i would recommend avoiding. as will stated, the cards have significant wear. i cant find another person who has opened a bunch of these, everyone is saving them. i dont think the one's i opened were authentic-creases and gum stains in the middle of the pack. if anyone has been actively opening these packs let me know what you think. some reputable sources have even questioned whether topps actually produced these.

Bob
  • 1979 topps hockey is a very cool set. I have 7 raw sets in nm-mt cond. and would love to get the entire set graded but it's too expensive. i'll be at the hollywood park show next month looking for unopened packs.

bobby,

how are you? i just recently got interested in this set again, for the longest time nothing showed up on ebay. then Skerbe (sss2) listed several and i got hooked again. there is (or was) a lot of 65 PSA 8 nq's on ebay that didn't sell, and i'm in contact with the seller to buy em. that would put me around 35%. i pegged this as a long, long-term project. maybe 6+ years to finish. i've never taken on a task like this. it's hard for me, because i'm not a submitter nor do i have any raw.

please let me know what cards you have available for trade or sale. i would definitely be interested. my email address is will_r_watson@hotmail.com
  • NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    I just have 2 cards in PSA 9, commons from the Red Wings and Boston. Won them from ss2, really liked them once I got them in hand. Just recentley took an interest in this set. So it might be months till more 9's might show up on ebay. I did see there's a 10 out there, but the opening bid is just way to much, but maybe not considering how tough they are. I will register the start my set soon, looks to be a very long term project.......
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    hey will
    let me know how that deal goes with the bulk of psa 8's.
    does anyone know of any 79 vending boxes for sale?
    Bob
  • Anybody still actively collecting this set? I am just getting started and looking for 9s for now and will settle for 8s on the tougher low pops later on. Anyone with any advice or extras they are willing to part with would be much appreciated. Jeff
    1959 Topps baseball registry (master and basic)
    1980 Topps baseball registry (master and basic x 3)
    1975 Topps baseball registry
  • I love this set as well but when I gave my Gretzky to PSA to grade...they wouldn't even grade it. I then set it to Beckett and got it slabbed (5), so I think I might just grade that entire set with Beckett...unless I can score me a better PSA graded Gretzky. As for buying pack...the one I bought off e-bay last week was all to easy to open. I remember opening a entire box of these in 79 and as I recall they were very tightly wrapped...coupled with getting all comons I will not be buying from that dealer again.