Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Nolan Ryan Master Set Survey Results

The results are in. The votes have been counted (inluding hanging chads). Without further ado, here's where we agree the most:

1. Should any 1994 issues be included in the Master Set?
Most everyone thinks 1994 should be included. All 1994 issues would be eligible for the Master Set, while only his standard issue Topps, UD Collector's Choice, Donruss, Fleer, and Stadium Club would be eligible for the Basic Set. (Did I miss any?)

2. Should any Pacific issues other than the 1993 standard wax pack issue be included in the Master Set? If not, should we have a separate Ryan Set to address those who collect Pacific?
Very resounding NO on including Pacifics in the Master Set, save a single card representation from each issue: 1991 Ryan Pacific Series 1 #1, 1991 Ryan Pacific Series 2 #111, 1993 Ryan Pacific Series 3 #1, and the 1993 Pacific standard issue Ryan. I simply picked the first card in each series since none is more desirable than another in terms of value. Everyone felt that the Ryan Pacifics should be "segregated" to their own Registry Set. This would include all 3 Series (247 cards I think) and whatever parallels and inserts were issued with them (sliver, gold, prismatic no-hitters included).

3. Should issues other than cards be included? Examples: Topps Coins, Topps Tatoos, Super size issues like Sportscaster, Topps Super, Rini postcards, and cachets (could now fit into T3 PSA holders).
Split opinion here, but the inclusion of these seems to be favored slightly. Basically, if PSA will slab it, then they would be eligible as they emerge.

4. Should we include Star issues? None are currently registered I think.
Again, strongly in favor of not including these (3 sets issued) since you have to tear the cards apart anyway.

5. Should we include Upper Deck Comic Ball issues? If not, the National promos and holograms are already there, should they be removed?
No one seems to want these included, except for the 2 National Promos perhaps. The rest (including the holograms) should be confined to a separate set.

6. Should we include the 1992 Donruss/Coke set? There is currently one registered in the Master Set.
Majority opinion is to include these since they were issued by a major manufacturer and are very much akin to Mother's Cookies.

7. Are there any other additions or subtractions from the set you would like to see?
Lots of suggestions here (even dump the Venezuelan -- horrors!) But one suggestion was very good. Include the autographed issues from 1991-993 currently not listed: 1991 UD Heroes, 1992 Classic, and 1993 Conlon.

And I have one final thought. As new cards emerge for the Registry, rather than emailing off to BJ independently, would it be too much to ask that those requests are posted on the Registry Forum first so all Ryan collectors can comment on the addition. I think it will foster a more positive experience for us as the "finish line on a string" keeps slipping toward the horizon!

Thank you everybody for your input. I will contact BJ with these ideas and link her to this thread!

Comments

• Hi Keith,

I was going through my cards, actually while I was trying to find the 85 Topps Mini, and I noticed that the 1988 #88 Fleer Nolan Ryan Star Sticker is no longer listed in the Master set. Could you have BJ add that back in, it was there at one time. I have a PSA 8 version Cert #90221957.

Thanks,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    ------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Bryan
    Looking for Nolan Ryan PSA 10's.

Texas Heat Wave
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Second what Bryan said - thanks Keith- you are officially the "Daddy" of the NRMS until someone takes the #1 spot from you, and I will address you as such.

Couple of quick nitpicky things-
    Would like to add a 1987 M&M's Ryan to the set. It is a hand-cut (originally issued alongside a Steve Sax card), not too difficult to find. The cool thing about this card is that it was issued by MSA, the same company that did the 1970's discs. Sweet nostaligia...

Also, I just purchased a decent intact 1988 RYAN SLU off ebay for not too much. I was thinking about popping it open and having the card graded, since I don't really care much about the figure. Maybe it would be a cool paperweight or something. Any recommendations?

Thanks Daddy-
    Jeff
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    It's humbling to be called the "daddy" of the NRMS! I'm sure it is only a tremporary title as many of you seem to have many ungraded gems waiting to make it into their little PSA coffins! But, I won't do down quietly! I have a few more gems to add in my lifetime I hope!

Kidding aside, I have contacted BJ regarding our mutual decisions. I will post the feedback that I receive.

Thanks again for all the great insight! By year's end, we'll have this set in tip-top organization!

I think the additions you have mentioned are all good, but if my memory serves, PSA will only add cards that have been slabbed (because they have them in the database). So for Scott's 88 Fleer Sticker there's no problem. But I don't know if they have graded any 1987 M&Ms yet... we'll find out! And I agree, I have been getting lots of that MSA stuff and it does have a place in the set!

BTW: Anyone make any new requests for additions? I am planning to add another 1993 Conlon with Ryan/Waddell.
  • Looks like 4_Sharp_Corners found a few 1986 Sportsflics Ryan's that haven't been listed yet.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ------------------------------------------------

Scott;

Yup... I have that one raw, but to date I have not found it interesting enough to slab it (like the 93 Ultra checklist card). Guess it's time to dig it out, or pony up for his...

BTW, I see you added 68-94 (!) on your sig line! You have come to the dark side too! I think that finish line just got pulled back another 50 feet! LOL
  • Resistance is futile. The 94's have been Borg'd into the Nolan Ryan Master collective.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ------------------------------------------------

• Hi guys,

I submitted 2 Ryan M & M's with hopes of putting the better one in the Registry and sell the other. We'll see. On a personal note, the set builders of the NRMS are the best around.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
    Brent;

Will you sell ME the better one and put the other one in your registry!!! LOL!!

• For you Keith, anything. LOL

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
    Thank you Brent!

BTW, BJ is going to post a poll of some sort to ALL the members of the NRMS to see if our decisions hold water with the whole group. She is more than willing to follow through with our requests, she just wants to make sure we're not a bunch of Nolan Ryan Militia wackos!

So, keep your eyes and ears open... she may be contacting us all shortly.
  • That sounds great, but my militia training shouldn't go to waste. Living here in Alabama, I'm always ready to intervene, lol. Seriously, I think we have a consensus and should be a fairly easy job convincing PSA of our desires. Come to think of it, if I ever get to meet BJ, I may have to add a desire, lol.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Keith,

The 1991 Anchorage Nolan Ryan PSA 10 on Ebay, and the Topps Nolan Ryan proof cards, does PSA grade those, I saw a couple of those went down on Ebay last night. Should we have these added?

Just curious as to your take on them.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ----------------------------------------------

Scott;

I don't think PSA will grade a proof card (a real printer's proof like those Ryans from Topps anyway) as it is pretty much guaranteed to be hand-cut or machine-trimmed as a single press sheet. But, I could be wrong. We need a guinea pig on this one maybe!

Since the Anchorage card is graded already, I guess so. It's part of a real minor league baseball issue even if it is just a gimmick card. And it's from his active vcareer. Seems to meet the criteria. Plus, it's just one card, unlike our lovely Pacific issues!

Did you get the Anchorage card, Scott? I assume it ended. I looked at it and bookmarked it, but I forgot to track it.

Brent;

BJ will be visiting this link! You stil have time to edit! Yikes!
  • Keith,

Nope didn't buy it yet but I'm thinking about it, the Anchorage card is still out there for a couple more days. I don't feel like getting into a bidding war for it, so if you want to go for it I'll wait for the next one or if your going to pass, I'll jump it.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    -----------------------------------------------------
  • I appreciate the heads up, but no need to edit. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, lol.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
    Scott;

Since it's still out there, I'll check it out. Honestly, I wouldn't go more than $30 on it as it is not that appealing to me. If you'd go more, well, you know where I stand on that one! I'm also shocked to see that 75 highlight in PSA 9 is already so high. Think I'll stay away from that one as I bet we'll see lots more 75s, 78s, etc with the $5 special just starting to hit the market.

Not much else out there at the moment aside from 4_corners usual suspects...

Hey, Brent... good for you man! I guess this thread can double as a personals ad too! LOL
  • Keith,

I didn't even pay attention to the 75 Ryan HL card because of the BGS GAI spamming, I thought it was graded by BGS so I wasn't going to touch it.

What is that peice of crud that is on the right hand side of the card?

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ------------------------------------------
    Scott;

I saw that too! Definitelu crud of some sort... it's not the card, but I can't tell if it's on the slab or (horrors!) in the slab... we'll let the high bidder on that one find out the hard way!

• Looking though the Nolan Ryan sets I see the 1993 Finest Refracter is listed in the basic set. How do you Nolan Ryan collectors feel about this. I thought Basic sets were not supposed to include any insert cards, and this card is not only an insert card, but also one of the most expensive Nolan Ryan cards.
    Ryaniacs!

I just got the email from BJ with the results of our poll... she is taking action to improve the set on our behalf!

Hi All,

The results of the poll (below) that I sent out on 4/22/04 are as follows:

We will remove the Pacific series.  The only Pacific cards which would remain in the master set would be the first card of each series, i.e. 1991 #1, 1991 #111 and 1993 #1 and the 1993 Pacific standard issue Ryan. 

We will remove the Star issues.

We will remove the Upper Deck Comic Ball issues except the promos.

We will not remove the 1992 Donruss/Coke issue

There was an equal split as whether a definitive master set list should be established.  Therefore, I will leave that issue on the table.  If several of you want to put a list together and then get a majority to approve it, I will be happy to accept that list from you with the names of the members who agree to the final list.

We will be removing the cards today.  Thank you for your feedback on these issues!

Sounds like they are open to using a master list we submit... Scott has started that and it is currently in my lap... we'll get this circulated to everyone as soon as possible!
  • goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    that "Nolan's A Gamer" Pacific card needs to be added. it's the coolest card in the set
  • Bighurt4Bighurt4 Posts: 384
    Pacific, no mas, no mas.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store