Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the highest card that can have a wrinkle?

For all of you tobacco card collectors or just PSA watchers, what is the highest grade a tobacco card can have that has a wrinkle?

I know that on some of the tobacco cards like the T-series they grade much different then they might a 1957 topps. In other words they are a little more forgiving since most of those cards are close to 100 years old. But what is the highest grade you have seen with a wrinkle? A PSA 4?

I have several tobacco cards that I am going to send off, that are truly special due to thier overall appeal, but have a small wrinkle. Will they still grade it a max of 4?

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    PSA 5
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Sorry- I meant my title to be "What is the highest GRADE a card with a wrinkle can get?"

• Options
    Hi Everyone,

I purchased a while ago a 52 Bowman Smokey Burgess card graded a 6 NQ with a small wrinkle in the back. The card looked like a 9 besides the wrinkle.

Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Options
    hench1hench1 Posts: 116
    mrichards, you might have gotten a card that had had the wrinkle pressed out of it and then submitted for grading, only to have the wrinkle reappear after the card was in the holder.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    An EX/MT PSA 6 card should have no wrinkles. An PSA 5 card can have minor wrinkles. PSA missed that one so send it back in and take your downgrade like a man.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Wrinkles are actually NOT mentioned in the
    PSA grading standards They may have thought it was a
    scratch - and gave it a PSA 6

"Crease" first comes up on the standards in the PSA4

so you likely ALL need to send your 5's in for regrade to 4! image

EX-MT 6: Excellent-Mint.
    A PSA EX-MT 6 card may have visible surface wear or a printing defect which does not detract from its overall appeal. A very light scratch may be detected only upon close inspection. Corners may have slightly graduated fraying. Picture focus may be slightly out of register. Card may show some loss of original gloss, may have minor wax stain on reverse, may exhibit very slight notching on edges and may also show some off-whiteness on borders. Centering must be 80/20 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

EX 5: Excellent.
    On PSA EX 5 cards, very minor rounding of the corners is becoming evident. Surface wear or printing defects are more visible. There may be minor chipping on edges. Loss of original gloss will be more apparent. Focus of picture may be slightly out of register. Several light scratches may be visible upon close inspection, but do not detract from the appeal of the card. Card may show some off-whiteness of borders. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

VG-EX 4: Very Good-Excellent.
    Corners may be slightly rounded. Surface wear is noticeable but modest. May have light scuffing or light scratches. Some original gloss will be retained. Borders may be slightly off-white. A light crease may be visible. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    When I go to shows, I go thru batches of PSA 5's and 6's and buy the nicest ones as to centering and corners as long as there are no defects on photo. Most of the 5's and none of the 6's have wrinkles...the 6's usually have a nick or lost paper gloss on the edge or corner somewhere.

I think the best buy on the grading market is a vintage card graded PSA 5 due ONLY to wrinkle on back. If any board members have cards in this category I am interested.

mrichards, by the way if you still have that Burgess, I would be interested....my email is scoppe67@msn.com.

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options

I've gotten several cards back from the graders in "surprise" PSA 5 grades. In practically every case, it's a wrinkle or crease I missed. Some on front and some on back. I've never received a PSA 4 on a card (with a wrinkle or otherwise).

I once bought a '61 Maris in PSA 7 from a member on this board. It had a clear and present crease on a corner on the back. Didn't even need a loupe to see it. I returned it and exchanged it for another without creases.
  • Options
    I sent in a 89 Upper deck Griffey a while back and it had a small crease in the back ( I didn't see it). It came back a 6. I though it would be a 9 or possible 10 except for the crease. I suppose it depend on the mood of the grader.
    Always looking for pre 1990 rookies and stars, pre 1970 baseball (all) and HOF game used.

tradelist