Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Darkside Coin Tag … dead [updated 9.9]

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

I'm starting a new coin tag image. I really enjoyed last year's despite it being liteside-heavy. If you want to participate, reply to this thread and PM me your address and phone number. If we haven't done a BST before, or if you are relatively new, please include 1-2 references.
I will post an initial list of coins to start the box, and update the list as we go. I'm going to do this as a "call the box" tag, so there won't be a predetermined list of who gets the box next. When the list gets posted, first to PM gets the box. When updated, the next caller gets it.
The whole point is fun and enjoyment, so let's do this!
The RULES: image

1. I will list contents of the TAG box when we come to an agreement in trade. I will list what is taken and what is put into the Tag Box. Tag list may be updated lower in this thread, so look for that one.
2. Keep the TAG box no longer than FIVE days, so that we can maintain in timely fashion (shipping takes a while).
3. You can trade up to any dollar amount that you desire (but see below).
4. PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICCS slabbed coins ONLY! No exceptions. This time I mean it image
5a. USA residents must ship VIA United States Postal Service (USPS) Registered Mail ONLY! (Using a USPS Priority Mail MEDIUM FLAT RATE BOX!) with proper insurance value.
5b. Non-USA residents must ship Registered Mail ONLY with insurance. Must provide tracking number and insurance! Contact me if this is a problem or you believe there is a better method.
6. Post Registered Mail Tracking Number to this coin tag thread when package has been shipped.
7. Values for PCGS coins are rated VIA the PCGS Price Guide where applicable, Coinfacts, or comps from reputable auction sites such as Numisbids or Heritage; NGC coins will be valued by the same means, ANACS will be 90% for the white slabs, 85% for Blue and Yellow slabs. The value of Problem Coins (Eg. PCGS Genuine, ANACS Net Graded Coins) shall be determined between Me (LochNESS) and the person wanting to put such coins in tag box.
8. While values have some fluctuation on a weekly/monthly basis, trades will be made according to the most recent data, and older prices will not be re-evaluated.
9. A Cash purchase option is available. If you want to work out a cash deal, PM me. This is particularly useful if you want to participate in the Tag but don't have any slabs to contribute.
10. PCGS Old Green Holders (OGH) will bring a 5% premium and PCGS First Generation Holders (Rattlers) will bring a 10% premium. NGC No Line Fat Slabs will bring 5% premium.
11. Toning premiums may be negotiated based on available auction comp data. A photo WILL be necessary to complete this type of trade.

12. Our goal is to have fun seeing, trading, experiencing, and interacting with coins and community members. This objective is NOT to try and pull a fast one by taking all the "good" coins and replacing with mundane stock (although, to each his/her own widget). Please remember that and think of your own fellow members while participating. HAVE FUN!!!

SHIPPING, CUSTODY AND LOSS:

The wholesale value of the box is USD $1,950.00 (will be updated as the tag progresses). You are fully responsible for the care and custody of the coins in your possession. If the coins are lost or stolen, you will have to reimburse me, LochNESS, for the full current determined value of the box, $1,950.00 , so please be careful! The coins WILL be shipped VIA USPS REGISTERED and INSURED mail ONLY! NO EXCEPTIONS! Do NOT ship "certified", do NOT ship via UPS, Fed Ex, etc. These services do NOT cover losses to coins! For those who have not shipped via USPS registered mail, you will need to get the paper tape and seal all edges of the box so the clerk can stamp each tape line. You will also need to fill out a USPS Receipt for Registered Mail.

I'll post the first box in a few days, after we get this rolling along!

Cheers,
LochNESS

PS: Thanks to Greg aka SurfinxHI for authoring 97% of this OP, which I copied/pasted from his 2013 tag, which was most excellent! image
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Always wanted to be part of coin tag, would love to be included. References readily available if needed.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    it is interesting that you do not allow ICCS graded coins even though you allow foreigners to be part of this.
    Just wondering, as ICCS usually is a tougher grader than the TPGs you have allowed.
    The other thing is the registered mail only and insurance.
    I am sure most of you are aware that for some countries this will not be possible, as many countries do simply NOT insure coins being shipped outside their borders, irrelevant if registered or not.
    I believe there is even an issue about that between Canada and the USA as far as insuring legal currency.
    might be worth it to check it out to be sure beforehand, or simply allow only US shipments to avoid any possibly very costly issues.
    I am aware that most post offices will take your premium for insurance. But when there is need to declare the exact contents in case of a claim, the tiny small print will prevail.
    Hopefully I am wrong....
    The maximum insurance for coins for shipping with Canada post within Canada is $ 500 I believe.
    Assume there is a valid claim, which value is used as a replacement value? wholesale value or current value?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Great comments. Regarding ICCS, I know many Canuk coins are preferred in their holders. I have a CA friend who deals primarily ICCS, and I've handled a few in my own small dealings. It was a simple oversight. For valuations in the tag trade, I would ask for the usual comps references. They may be preferred in Canada but not as well known here in USA.

For shipping international, I have lots of experience in small packages (under 1lb) but little experience in larger packages and nothing over $1,000. I may call PCGS customer service to get their opinion, as I'm sure they've mailed a few valuable items over the years. I welcome all suggestions (YQQ et al).

These "rules" are not intended to be exclusionary, but rather, to safeguard our tag box contents and preserve its integrity. If there is a country that does not offer registered mail, then we won't ship to that country. If there's a dude slabbing coins in his basement that isn't a major reputable slab brand, we won't accept those slabs.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Im in this sounds like a great idea !!
    Successful Sales on this forum to:erickso1
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty cool image

List will be published in an hour or two. Fair warning given. Box will be mailed to the first caller. No calling until I publish the list ... image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Lots of great silver in here. I'm curious to see what goes first!

The box contains (alphabetical by country):

Angola … … 1969 … 2.5 Escudos … MS65 … … PCGS … #839627 … $65 … top pop
    Canada … … … 1950 … S$1 SWL … MS62 … … PCGS … #170318 … $70 … secure plus holder; solid for the grade
    Canada … … … 1968 … S 10¢ … … MS64 … … … NGC … … … … … … … $15 … NEW!
    Cook Islands … 1973 … $2 … … … PR66 CAM … PCGS … #508181 … $175 … top pop; value negotiable for brown patina
    Djibouti … … … 1977 … Franc … … SP67 … … … PCGS … #416262 … $105 … great strike and luster
    Egypt … … … 1917 … 10 Piastres … VF30 … … ANACS … #410768 … $55 … solid for the grade, great design, classic world silver!
    Fr. Somaliland 1948 … 5 Francs … MS64 … … PCGS … #428692 … $55 … solid for the grade
    Germany, West 1963-G … Mark … AU55 … … ANACS … #315461 … $165 … solid for the grade
    Guatemala … … 1895 … 1/4R … … AU Details … NGC … … … … … … … $16 … NEW
    Guatemala … … 1901H … 1/4R … … AU Details … NGC … … … … … … … $16 … NEW
    Hungary … … 1967 … 2 Forint (Ag) … PR64 … PCGS … #795211 … $60 … top pop; hard to find in proof @ 5,000 mintage, many melted!
    Mexico … 1911 "Caballito" Peso … AU 50 details ANACS #525772 … $55 … very popular type (long rays)
    Mexico … … … 1919 … … … 20¢ … … AU58 … … … NGC … … … … … … $80 … … NEW
    Mozambique … 1975 … 2 Centimos MS64 RD … PCGS … #507222 … $200 … top pop, bright red color at catalog value! exceptional piece
    New Zealand … 1965 … 3 D (pennies) PL65 … … PCGS … #405212 … $16 … great value @ 25,000 mintage
    Lebanon … … 1955 … … Piastre … … MS67 … … PCGS … #398958 … $75 … top pop; great luster, popular type
    Réunion Is. … 1948 … 2 Francs … … MS65 … … PCGS … #398961 … $60 … top pop from a seldom-seen country; hard to find!
    Saudi Arabia … 1977 … 100 Hal. … … MS65 … PCGS … #189580 … $325 … specimen from British Royal Mint! this type was not released for circulation!
    Somalia … … … 2004 … $1 … … … … PF67 … … NGC … … … … … … … $45 … … "stars & stripes" NEW
    South Africa … 1954 … 6 D (pennies) PR66 … PCGS … #397835 … $26 … incredible value @ 3,150 mintage! and 2nd-highest graded
    Switzerland … 1953 … 5 Francs … … MS65 … … … … PCGS … … … … $60 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … … 1942 … … 10¢ … … … … MS63 … … … … PCGS … … … … $15 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 1957 D … … 25¢ … … … … MS64 PCGS "unique toning" … $15 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 1992 S … Olympic Comm. PR69 DCAM … … PCGS … … … $25 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 1994 P … 50¢ World Cup … PF69 ultra cam … NGC … … … $20 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 1963 … … 25¢ … … … … … … PF67 cam … … … NGC … … … $15 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 1943 … … 50¢ Walker … … … AU58 … … … … … NGC … … … $25 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 2008 S … S25¢ Oklahoma … PF69 … … … … … NGC … … … $15 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 1950 … … 1¢ … … … … … … MS64 RD … … … … NGC … … … $15 … … NEW
    U.S.A. … … 2000 … … 25¢ Virginia … … … PF69 … … … … NGC … … … … $10 … … NEW

Note: the numbers following TPG name is the PCGS catalog no., not the cert. This is for the purposes of looking up general info. Images not posted here to save space. PM me for pictures or ... call the box and see them in hand image

CALL THE BOX!!!!!!!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Is this where I call dibs? image.

Cathy

Yes! image

The box will be mailed to Cathy aka Stork later this afternoon. Stay tuned for tracking info.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• JebJeb Posts: 122
    This looks like fun. However I really don't collect foreign as my budget doesn't stretch that far. I'm really interested as to how the box progresses.
    Jeb
    Jeb, there are two coins under $25 and more at $30-60 range.

Check out the list details.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Tracking says, "August 1, 2014, 5:43 AM, Departed USPS Facility in WASHINGTON, DC 20066"

So it has left DC and is en route to Stork! So exciting image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• can i call the box second ??
    The box was delivered today, but I'm just back from my weekend of work (I go out of town) and had a nasty headache all day. I'll open it tomorrow image.

Cathy

Our first swap has been offered and accepted image. Stay tuned while Stork makes the physical exchange and gets things ready to ship out. Not quite ready to call ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Okay, I nabbed the Cambodia coin and the French Equitorial Africa/Cameroon coin. I have a custom set ATS that has coins from the French 4th republic era (1946ish-1958ish). It's supposed to be circulation strikes only, but I do have sets going for the essais/pieforts for the countries I've actually been to (lots of West Africa...and yes at one point I had a terrible fever, and other icky symptoms that would currently have me in isolation, thankfully it was 2 years ago but still).

Anyway, I needed to come up with something worth $100. Toyed with some slabbed bullion (BORING) and really didn't have anything good in the right price range for Japan. I have a couple coins "I" know are worth more than the catalog, but that's not quite right for this kind of swap. I did pick two at what I think are good valuations and were acceptable. The Italian coin looks better than a 62 to me...

The pictures suck--taken with my phone, in a dimly lit living room and natural (but very overcast) light coming in the window. I had to shoot from far away and crop to get the overhead light glare off. Someday I will make photography my hobby, but not yet. Obviously.

I'll mail the package back on Monday.

Woohoo! And hey, don't mail it back ... mail it to the next caller image

CALL THE BOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• JebJeb Posts: 122
    Beautiful coins.
    Yes, and they can be yours ... if you call the box image

Sean, do you want to call the box? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Ill take it my friend !!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

I just made it out alive from the post office...after crabbing out (well another word really) some dude who waltzed past me in line. Rather than be a lady and let it pass I called him out. Now I'm mad at being mad at some dude not worth thinking about. Anyway, the tracking will likely post in the morning as we have a pretty slow post office. I'll pm the tracking number to Sean..and can update general location as it travels.

Cathy

• The box has arrived safe and sounds !!! Thanks to Stork, i am like a kid in a candy shop, i will contact you later nick with a list of what i want and what i intend to trade !! Thanks again
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Hello friends! Just want to apologize for this 5-day delay. Sean actually sent me three cool trade offers on 8/16 but I had a late gig the night prior, and another one that evening, and my Sunday was crazy from 9am - 8pm teaching and another gig ... basically it's my fault so don't blame Sean image

I am feeling energized by his enthusiasm and look forward to announcing the next trade(s) once he accepts my reply!

Meanwhile get ready to call the box ... not yet but soon!!!!!!!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

OK WE HAVE A TRADE, CALL THE BOX!!!!!!!

We have three trades to be exact. Some Mexico, Guatemala, and Singapore(?) going in and some USA pieces too! - check the list!!!

So for you lightside lurkers, if you'd like a really cool Walker or a nicely toned Washington call the box! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Bump somebody call the box !!
  • Bump for a great guy please call the box !!
    I agree, the box has some cool goodies in it image. If anyone is toying with the idea of playing the tag game, this is fun! The Ceylon coin has a tempting design...

Check the list. The Ceylon coin was traded. Perhaps we did too many trades on these early tags? I probably should've limited to one trade per tagger. Oh well then I guess I will call the box myself! Thanks guys it was fun while it lasted.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Ah, I thought it was still on the list. Maybe a bump in the post on the darkside (aka world/ancient) forum would remind people of the tag. I never looked at this forum until you made the original post. I won't do it though unless you are game to keep this going. It was a great idea.

I'm tired. Someone else (you, perhaps?) is welcomed to start another tag. Apparently I am not a good tag leader. I had some really cool coins in the box, made some buzz, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Stork, I'm surprised you never checked this forum before since Lord M has done many things here over the years and you're a fan of the M.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>Ah, I thought it was still on the list. ... >>

I'd like to publicly apologize to Cathy because it was indeed still on the list. I received the box last week but didn't have time to inventory until now. While doing so, going over the list one by one, I realized I had never removed the coins from the final tag. I added the newbies but never deleted the outgoing pieces. Sorry!

This is a good thing though because it makes me feel a little better about the last tag. I thought the final tag had killed it, but that can't be true because (as far as anyone could tell) the contents hadn't been diminished. Anyway I digress ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE