Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Minor Damage to Holder

Hi. I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question.

I've been building a PCGS set by sending some of my raw coins in to be graded and buying some off of Ebay. Recently, I purchased a 1945 Walking Liberty Half in MS-64 for a good price on Ebay. When I received the coin, I see that the holder has slight damage to it. On the obverse, you know those corner notches that stick up to allow stacking of PCGS holders? Well, 2 of the corner notches are chipped off. The integrity of the holder itself, the coin inside and the label depicting the grade, is still good. There's no damage to the seal of the holder. It's just those 2 corner notch things with chips.

My question is this... With this apparently superficial damage to the holder (no damage to the integrity of the coin/grading in the holder), is the PCGS grade/value/guarantee still valid?

Thanks.
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see any reason it would not be. And I might add, its not worth sending in to get a new holder if thats all that is wrong with it.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not see any reason it would not be. And I might add, its not worth sending in to get a new holder if thats all that is wrong with it.

WS >>

I concur 100%

I have several slabs with chips...it's just what happens.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always be cautious when buying coins in scuffed and scratched holders. Sometimes there's a reason why all those scratches are there. Like, who's trying to hide what under that smudge. Get my drift?