Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A Handful of "Big Time" Ike Dollars Being Auctioned Off At Heritage Next Week - READ!

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
Serious Ike Collectors - Don't miss checking out these Ike Dollar lots in the Heritage Chicago ANA sale next week ...

A. LOT 5913 - 1972-P (NGC-MS66 Ty 1) - Current Bid $1. I do not believe this coin was submitted to CAC prior to it being consigned to the auction. I was told coin is currently in the NGC pop report as a pop 1/0, but can not verify that. Perhaps other 1972-P MS66 over there not designated?

B. LOT 5915 - 1972-D (NGC-MS67) - Current Bid $120. Very neat highest grade coin. I do not believe this coin was submitted to CAC prior to it being consigned to the auction.

C. LOT 5917 - 1973-D (NGC-MS67) - Current Bid $130. Very neat highest grade coin. I do not believe this coin was submitted to CAC prior to it being consigned to the auction.

D. LOT 5918 - 1976-D (NGC-MS67 Ty 1) - Current Bid $130. Very neat highest grade coin. I do not believe this coin was submitted to CAC prior to it being consigned to the auction.

E. LOT 5921 - 1973-S SILVER (PCGS-PR70DCAM) - Current Bid $900. DDO FS-101. This coin is at auction at Heritage WITHOUT the DDO being officially recognized yet by PCGS (i.e. the coin was not submitted for the designation before being sent off to auction). Once designated, this coin would then become the POP 1/0 variety at PCGS!! And, it is hard to imagine there will be too many more FS-101's of this silver date ever slabbed as PR70DCAM at PCGS in light of the fact that PCGS has only slabbed about two dozen 70's of this date without the DDO in nearly 28 years!!

Good luck!!

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Without a QA or CAC sticker, NGC Ike dollars are selling around 1/5 to 1/3 of PCGS price, same date/mm and same grade.

Here are these coins hammer prices (don't forget 17.5% juice)

1972D PCGS MS67 $6750
    1972D NGC MS67 $1800
    1972D NGC MS67 $1300

1972P Type one NGC MS66, $1300
    1973D NGC MS67 $1900
    1976D type one MS67 NGC $1900
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    JCPING - There were some real bargains in the session to be sure as a few of the modern coin series were a little weak in my opinion. Forget stickers catching up NGC coins to PCGS coins - just look at that PCGS 72-D MS67 Ike only fetching $6,750 hammer! There were just (2) bidders from around the mid-$4,000's to the final hammer price of $6,750 on that PCGS coin. That coin came dangerously close to only fetching about $5,000 hammer until an additional bidder stepped in the last second. A year and a half ago, that was a $11,000+ coin even as an average specimen unworthy of a CAC sticker.

One thing we agree on - great quality Ikes will command great money and to those with the great quality coins, I have no problem with them ignoring some of the low ball prices that average quality coins are fetching.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    > One thing we agree on - great quality Ikes will command great money and to those with the great quality coins

Completely agree. With QA and CAC, they screened out lots of over-graded pop top dogs. image
  • Options

<< <i> but the low quality over graded coins bring low prices and therefore the price guide goes down and then buyers expect to pay according to the price guide. >>

That's why reputable sticker companies help high end of pop top Ike (and other series) dollars. You will see this effect on major auction prices.
    To me, without a QA sticker, I won't touch any PR70DCAM Ike dollar sight-unseen;nevertheless, this does not mean without a QA sticker, all non-QA PR70DCAM Ike dollars have issues.
  • Options
    Jcping... I sell spectacular quality PR70DCAM Ike Dollars at auction regularly without any stickers. Ditto for myriad other modern series coins.

Do you know what my personal "tell sign" will be to consider stickering my moderns... When the solid ones start commanding nice premiums consistently at auction. That's just me.

Manofcoins... For the most part you are right, but I ran into the guy who paid around $14,000 at auction for a nice 1932-p MS66+. Likewise, I spoke to the dealer who paid $13,000 or so for a lovely 1955-D quarter in NGC-MS67. Both of these coins are a tiny fraction in the price guide of the price the coins fetched at auction. Yes, of course, in each case the buyers thought their coins had a good chance to upgrade, but that is the consequence of the crappy coins getting in the holders-right? The truly nice coins start looking like easy upgrades and sell for way over the guide price. I think you own a couple like I am describing image.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    "Former owner wishes to remain anonymous"

Not anymore. He just identified himself on your thread over on the US Coin Forum! LOL

Wondercoin