Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Washington Quarter Guys ... Did You Notice That ...

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
The pop 2/0 1932-D Washington quarter just sold at $82,250 (just $70,000 hammer) at the Heritage auction? This price, against a $150,000 Price Guide price for that date/grade (prior MS66 sale of $143,750 back in 2008 on the pop 1 coin). Weak auction result? I don't think so.

It was the same coin that sold for about $41,125 (w/BP) in the Stacks NY sale a few months ago as an MS65+ specimen (where I believe it was tried a number of times unsuccessfully for the MS66 upgrade before Stacks sent it off to auction) . Before that auction, I passed on the coin in the MS65+ holder (at less than the coin realized in the Stacks sale) as it was not strong enough in my opinion for my collection at that asking price. No regrets at all about not buying the coin in the mid to high $30,000's earlier this year. In fact, a "world class upgrader" (who has made many pop top MS Washington quarters) I am informed passed on the coin at even a slightly lower price than I was offered the coin. I do "tip my hat" to the savvy buyer(s) of the coin in the Stacks sale though who upgraded it so quickly.

So, is $80,000-$85,000 the new "retail" level on an MS66 quarter (32-D) as a consequence of this particular piece getting into an MS66 holder as the pop 2/0 coin?

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While my focus is on MS Washington quarters most of the time, I just couldn't pass on adding this proof quarter to my collection today.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,

I really love the look of this quarter. The striation die lines that spread out from the center like a starburst are quite beautiful with the blue and green toning.

Would love to see the reverse.

BTW, Hows about a larger picture next time. imageimage

Later, Paul.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was curious how a coin could get toning like that. As a lifetime miner I see copper sulfate and oxide blue and green coloring on a silver coin. I wonder if it was stored in a place with a lot of copper solutions that gassed off into the air and settled into the silver? It is definitely a beautiful coin, but it seems like it must have been in an unusual environment in storage for quite a while before it was slabbed?

How many do you see like this and are they from any particular part of the country?

best regards,
    GM
    Stooge. Here is the reverse pic... (scratches on the plastic)

Wondercoin
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with your 2 cents regarding the 32-D quarter.
    Interesting observations on a series I like but am not in the mix at that level.

Quite an amazing Proof there. Congrats.
    I'd like to see it in person because I'm not a big fan of the pic but have no doubt that it's as nice as the grade says it is.
    Coupled with the fact that you obviously agree.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    So, is $80,000-$85,000 the new "retail" level on an MS66 quarter (32-D).

I would say yes and I expect the PG to reflect that in the near future. There has to be at least a couple more out there that make the grade based on today's grading standards. The real question is, is the $143K 32D quarter now worth $80K. I would bet money that it will soon be in a 66+ or even possibly a 67 holder. My money's on 67. That coin will hold its value because of gradeflation. I don't believe the $80K coin will. I bet within 12 months it's a $60K coin at best. I was a bidder on this coin and felt the plastic was worth at least $35K. I also think gradeflation will hurt this coin as a few more will get slabbed. I was out at $35K.

Just my 10c worth
    Good points Nick and, of course, what's left is an underbidder presumably willing to pay about $75,000 for the coin in this grade. When and if the pop 3 is made, I am not sure I would even be at that level unless the coin was spectacular for the grade. I passed on an MS65 at Central States for $8,250 so we are currently at 10x for the next grade up. I am not sure either that can hold up as more coins get slabbed. Just my two cents. Wondercoin
    "I was curious how a coin could get toning like that. As a lifetime miner I see copper sulfate and oxide blue and green coloring on a silver coin. I wonder if it was stored in a place with a lot of copper solutions that gassed off into the air and settled into the silver? It is definitely a beautiful coin, but it seems like it must have been in an unusual environment in storage for quite a while before it was slabbed?
    How many do you see like this and are they from any particular part of the country?
    best regards, GM"

GM... I believe this monocromatic color is a result of this proof quarter carefully resting in a manila small envelope (heavy in sulfur) for a number of decades. This type of color is hugely popular in Canada, because I believe the Ottawa Mint sold their proofs in manila envelopes between roughly 1933-1947 and the most beautiful coins developed toning similar to this 1941 quarter. While I love "rainbow" toned coins, I am also a huge fan of original monocromatic toning as well.

Wondercoin
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    That is a sweet looking proof and in it's own category - not shinny and not cam image Just right

Ken
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    The PCGS price guide for the 32D MS66 is now down to $100K.