Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Display of "Owner's Comments" on PCGS' site

Just curious if anyone else is somewhat disappointed by the lack of editing functionality for the "Owner's Comments" section for coins within their respective registries? This, by the way, also extends to the individual set's description.

For just a single short comment, the comment section is fine, however, where one might want to add text that is multiple paragraphs and/or multi-section, as in my case (see my set, it gets a bit muddled in how it’s displayed. Regardless of how the comment's test is entered, it will displays in plain text without even recognizing the most basic of text formatting such as line breaks; as a result, longer comments just run together into one (sometimes VERY) long comment.

In the screen caps below, the first image (at the lower left in the “Owner’s Comments” text box) shows how text was entered i.e. with line breaks to separate information for ease of readability;

the lower (below the photo of the coin) shows how the comments section is displayed when viewed by others, despite how information is entered… Yuck!

One would thinks that, for all of the whistles and bells that PCGS affords, simple editing functionality such as bold, italic, and underscored text, or at least >>>
line breaks >>>
would be afforded. Anyone else agree?

On similar such concerns in the past, I have contacted PCGS via e-mail (at info@pcgs.com) with no response aside from automated responses indicating that (paraphrased) "due to high message volume, a reply might be delayed". No issue with these auto-replies other that no actual response has ever followed.

Comments

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I know that my set description is long, but you can put the following in your text for a paragraph break:

<p>

The use of that short string will put in the paragraphs you are looking for. Those characters will show in your text entry box, but not when the text is displayed. I am no programmer, but there may be some other simple character strings to allow you to do other things.

Good luck and have fun with your set.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I agree the PCGS program is old and outdated, BUT I have found that by carefully editing my comments on my Lincoln PROOF Set Registry, I can achieve a decent display for people to see. Steveimage
  • Options
    Thx Dr. Pete! As I wasn't aware that this particular tag was functional at least for the set descriptions... I've not yet tried it for the individual coin descriptions (Owner's Comments).

By the way, while I was at it, I did experiment with the <B>, <I>, and <U> tags as well, and unfortunately, these are NON-functional and attempts to code as such are returned as 'disallowed'.

Also, one clarification to my original post regarding the individual coin's "Owner's Comments" hard page breaks entered when editing DO appear correctly formatted on the pop-up windows displayed from the set's page. The run-together formatting I was referring to is in regards to the text when it appears as a caption to the accompanying images.

Regards,
    pws