Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS GRADING

hI,

I am an authorized dealer with PCGS and I never charged anyone to put their coins through grading using my account. What do you think is a fair price to charge someone??

Thank you in advance!
Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
MACAU
emgworldwide@gmail.com
Cell: 512.808.3197
EMERGING MARKET GROUP
PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never charged folks anything more than I pay. I figure I have the first chance to either buy their freshly graded coins or take them on consignment and that is enough compensation for me.

• My favorite dealer even lets me fill out the forms. Since my coins are already in the proper flips, all they need is labels and I pay for shipping, submission and sales tax.
    David
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never charged folks anything more than I pay. I figure I have the first chance to either buy their freshly graded coins or take them on consignment and that is enough compensation for me. >>

What if the person has no thoughts on selling any of the coins at the time of submission or even when grades post? Still no charge?
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've never charged folks anything more than I pay. I figure I have the first chance to either buy their freshly graded coins or take them on consignment and that is enough compensation for me. >>

What if the person has no thoughts on selling any of the coins at the time of submission or even when grades post? Still no charge? >>

That's a fair point. I don't offer to take submissions from the general public and really only submit coins for friends and current customers I know well. Even then, sometimes my friends say they aren't thinking of selling anything, but if they get grades either too high or too low, things change. For example, I sold a friend from the coin club a couple of World coins for $75 each. He wanted to keep them for his collection, but wanted them graded first. Not a problem. But when they each came back a couple of points higher than we both thought, one of them being a top pop, he let me sell them when I told him I knew I could now get him over $1000 each for the coins.

However, if I were to start sending in coins for the general public, I probably would need to consider adding on an extra charge for my time in helping with the submission. Probably a few bucks extra per coin would be enough I guess. Of course, PCGS dealers already get a small discount on grading fees so maybe that difference alone would be enough to compensate for that effort. That way, the customer pays exactly what is stated on the PCGS forms, while the dealer can keep the difference depending on how much their discount is??
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Smart dealers would not charge for this. It will give them the respect they deserve later on. image
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Send regular customer coins at cost. Others add two or three bucks a coin.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

• If I need to do a dedicated submission for a customer who doesn't want to wait for the next submission of my own coins, I charge normal grading, shipping and insurance rates.

If I'm already submitting a package of my own, the customer's coins go along for the ride at the reduced rate, and benefit from free shipping.

• winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    This is the only mistake I have made. Dealers should charge cost to customers for PCGS grading and should not be free which is what I said before. Sorry about that, but at least I admit the only mistake I have made. image