Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry Set and Eliasberg ?

NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am completing a mint set from the 1860's. I compete against Eliasberg, who had proofs grandfathered in , though also a few MS coins given an estimated grade.

Eliasberg was given credit for an MS67 of the highest weighted coin in the set. An obvious error as the coin was graded 55 raw at the auction, and then later PCGS-62.

Is there a way to correct the error? Anyone to contact? I am a registry newbie with only one set.

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send an email to BJ Searls
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks TDN. The coins history is documented on CoinFacts.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. The S mint quarter to be exact.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue. I have an 1869 set. He is listed as all time finest but some of his coins were proofs and several have no record of existing so they were assigned "estimated" grades, "assuming" he must have some of th coins without any proof of any facts.

If you make headway let me know as I'd like them to make his 1869 collection more realistic as opposes to assumed.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! Competing against ghost coins would not make me very happy.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, I read a very interesting story where either it was Q. David Bowers or David Hall was invited by Louis Eliasberg to examine most or all of his coins, and very detailed notes were taken of each coin examined. I know it can be quite frustrating to go up against these sets, but there are reasons behind it. They may seem like "Estimated grades" and they may even call them that in the sets, but I would only guess that if there is some sort of an error that can indeed be fixed, I'm sure with an E-mail or 2 it can be done rather easily.

To be able to sit at a table with Louis E. Eliasberg and have a chance to view his collection personally. That is what Legends are made of.

Later, Paul.
    Done. Thanks BJ!
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    As the song says, That's the way it was. Not right but OK for back then.