Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the easiest #1 set to create?

I think it's the SAC Proofs, I have all 70's in mine.

I also had a SBA Proof 70 set since it is just a handful of coins, but I retired it because, well, I just don't like them.

I also have a gold set that was #5 back in 2002.

Comments

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly, all them are easy if you have the time, money, and patience..
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mostly, all them are easy if you have the time, money, and patience.. >>

Negative.
    Some that would be required to be #1 are in strong hands and trade privately more than publicly.
    One needs to have connections as well as the time, money, and patience.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I really like this response!!!! Time, Money and patience. My Roosevelt dime set with variety's has taken all of the 3 things.
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree connections are important. Time means you have to put the hours into the endeavor. You have to meet people in forums, at conventions, and get to know the people that have your same interest in the hobby. By having the money, you can capitalize on the rare opportunity when what you desire come availability. Lastly…patience. This is where many fail. We live in an “I want it now society”. In our hobby, the assembly of a #1 set could be a life-long journey. Not everyone is up to sign up for that. Speaking for myself, I am limited by all three… Time, Money & Patience.
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I have to say congrats on you 2 sets and I can see it took all 3. They are beautiful sets and not easy to finish.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the opposite on some of these quotes.

Money is quite the necessary evil, but you do not need it to have a #1 set. If you want to have a newly released set such as the new Cents or Nickels that came out or the PF70DCAM Sacs, then I do not believe a gallon of cash is needed. Nor do you need time. This can be done in a rather short amount of time.

Do you need all 3 to put a world class set of lets say Barber Dimes in high grade 66+ to 68+, with connections? Again, I don't think so. I just received an e-mail from PCGS that shows several of the "Ex Simpson" Barber Dimes for sale in these exact grades. I contacted no-one, I didn't wait for a long time ie: years, but I will need the "Gallons of cash"

I believe if you are willing to wait, keep your set closed so know one can "Hostage" any certain date/MM, I believe it is possible to complete a Major set, become #1, and not have to utilize all 3 of the "Time, cash, connections, and/or patience.

IMHO, I believe the absolute Keys to building a #1 set is Luck and being at the right place at the right time.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul (stooge) brought up several good points. Especially on the Barber Dimes. If you had the money you could buy the whole set from the auction he mentioned and be number 1.

Money is the KEY. The top grades are always there for the big money......ALWAYS!!!!

If I had unlimited funds I could have the #1 set of Trade Dollars next week!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you can split hairs and say a set to reach number # 1 that is easy to obtain tends to be coins not as popular in the hobby. This not only makes more likely to be available, and affordable. BUT - you still need $$$$$

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.