Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS Light Satin Question

I'm revisiting this topic, and, will keep it short and sweet. I'm hoping a Senior Collector can explain WHY PCGS, upon multiple requests, refuses to add the rare LIGHT SATIN 5 Ounce America The Beautiful Coins to the Special Strikes Set Registry. There must be a monetary, or, political reason, and, I cannot figure it out. In MY mind, adding is nothing but a bonus for PCGS, with those in the Registry needing to find the 5 Light Satin Varieties known to add to make a complete set. I don't know of ANY other Modern Denomination in the Registry that does not have a "Complete Set with Varieties"...maybe you do...if baffles me to no end this company. NGC has them in theirs...is there some kind of Nasty Competition issue that is going on here? I see this as doing the SP 5 Oz collector a disservice. Are they waiting for the Cherrypickers' guide to add them in 2016, and await an official FS#?
TY
Calvin
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
Albert Einstein

Comments

• No one seems to want to talk about this. You may not like what I say, but what da heck....

"Light Satin" isn't a variety - it is a production "error" - Error's aren't usually put into sets. I have a Light Satin Grand Canyon and I can't see "grading" the amount of satin finish applied to a coin. Should we have a "Strong" and "Ultra Strong" Satin Finish too?

Just to get yelled at by others, I'll say the same thing about the "illogical" addition of production errors to the Presidential dollar sets.
    "No Edge" - how can that be a variety??? It's missing.

Another illogical "variety" is now the "Weak Edge" concept - if it has a "weak edge" it is poorly struck and that should be addressed in the grade of the coin. Who seeks poorly struck coins ???

I don't consider that double struck edges "varieties" either. It has nothing to do with the dies (except someone screwed up during production) and even though there may be hundreds of them, everyone is different.

• ikenutikenut Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Good, valid point Roger. These satins are NOT die issues, but, post-production man-made mistakes, so, I would agree with you. I did write Bill Fivaz, to get his take on the situation, but, expect a similar answer....error, not variety.
    1 thing, I went to check my NGC SP Set Registry just now, and, see they have REMOVED all but the Grand Canyon Satin Finish. I wrote them for their official answer. All I know is the Grand Canyon has the most numbers of satins, at 390 slabbed by NGC, and 85 slabbed by PCGS. The other numbers are very low. Hot Springs-NGC=17---PCGS-42, Yellowstone-NGC=5---PCGS-2(actually 3, but my BPS-Mercanti label does not show, for some reason, only my 2 SP69 FS show)...Gettysburg-NGC=0---PCGS-16, and, Olympic-NGC-O---PCGS-15.
    On a side note, I did just purchase a 2010-P SP70 PCGS First Strike Hot Springs, and, when in hand, it is a Light Satin, and, on it's way for re-labeling. In "Theory", if it flies(they have re-labeled 7 for me this year), it would be a 4k coin, but, the market does not support these numbers at the moment. I did sell a Gettysburg SP69 FS Light Satin for 7.5k, so, the numbers can be off in both directions...big time. I am surprised my Olympic Light Satins have done poorly, being a new discovery and all, interest is null. I have 9 of the 15 slabbed by PCGS in hand, awaiting better days.
    Calvin
    If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
    Albert Einstein