Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollars and the PCGS Set Registry

A fellow collector inquired as to which Registry sets the 4 Coin Silver Kennedy's would be put into.

The response did not include 1 single Kennedy Half Dollar Set!

The only sets the coins would go into would be combinations of the Modern Commemorative Sets!

And before folks begin harping about how these coins are just commemorative half dollars and belong only in a commemorative set, remember that a lot of the Kennedy Half Dollar Sets require the 1998-S SMS Coin which was issued "as a commemorative". The Complete Circulation Coin Variety Set includes not only the 1998-S but also the 1964 SMS Coin, which, BTW, isn't included with its SMS Brethren which are in the Proof Sets.

Previous Anniversary Coins are included in other denomination sets such as the 1996-W Roosevelt.

Other "Commemorative Coins" are included in other denomination sets such as the 1994-S and 1997-S SMS Jeffesons.

The 10th Anniversary, 20th Anniversary, 25th Anniversary and the 2013-W Enhanced Circulation Silver Eagles are all included in the Silver Eagles Circulation Sets.

Are there some inconsistencies here?

Thoughts?
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins should be in the Kennedy sets. If some want to toss them in additional sets I do not have a problem with that. But, to not place Kennedy Half Dollar coins in the Kennedy Half Dollar collections is disingenuous, especially with the prior history of how these coins are treated.

Just my two cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should the gold Kennedy be in the Kennedy sets?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Why not?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should the gold Kennedy be in the Kennedy sets? >>

Of course... you have 40% silver and 90% silver Kennedy Halves in the regular and proof Kennedy sets. The 2014-W Kennedy Half is just another proof half dollar of a different composition. It certainly belongs in the proof Kennedy registry sets.
  • Options
    Letter sent to BJ as well tonight. Well, this morning image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Letter sent to BJ as well tonight. Well, this morning image

Wondercoin >>

Any response yet?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The brain trust at PCGS will consider the request. Wondercoin.
  • Options

<< <i>The brain trust at PCGS will consider the request. Wondercoin. >>

Did you point out the inconsistencies where commemoratives are being allowed in the Kennedy Sets such as the 1998-S and the BiCentennial Coins?

Of course, this doesn't even address the fact that the 50th Anniversary coins aren't really commemoratives as much as they are "special" issues which celebrate the Kennedy Half Dollar. I was under the impression that the United States Mint was only Congressionally authorized to issue TWO Commemorative Coins a year. As such, since we've already hit that limit with the HOF Coins and the Civil Rights Act Coins, these coins can't possibly be official Commemoratives just Anniversary issues which commemorate the coin itself.

I'm getting dizzy..........

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    It was argued thoughtfully with the full support of MS Registry sets ##1,2,3,4,5!!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was argued thoughtfully with the full support of MS Registry sets ##1,2,3,4,5!!

Wondercoin >>

Yes, and that list includes me. It is absurd not to include those coins in the Kennedy sets.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited for double post, sorry!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    So using this example, then I guess in 2016 the Mercury Dime Set, Standing Quarter Set and Walking Liberty Half set may all have a new coin that will have to be added to be 100% complete. image
  • Options

<< <i>So using this example, then I guess in 2016 the Mercury Dime Set, Standing Quarter Set and Walking Liberty Half set may all have a new coin that will have to be added to be 100% complete. image >>

That really depends upon what size coin they are minted on not to mention the fact that the Kennedy Half Dollar isn't 71 years, 86 years, and 69 years out of production.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The Kennedy half is not out of production, but it hasn't been minted for circulation since 2001. The 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent (and 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth) was marked with a lot less gimmickry, and a type set of the anniversary coins can be completed at a cost of four cents.

• Options

<< <i>The Kennedy half is not out of production, but it hasn't been minted for circulation since 2001. The 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent (and 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth) was marked with a lot less gimmickry, and a type set of the anniversary coins can be completed at a cost of four cents. >>

And your point is?

The Kennedy Half Dollar has been in continuous production since 1964.
    Whether or not they were ordered by the Federal Reserve Bank or simply by US Mint Coin Collectors is immaterial to the point. They do still make them and as such, these coins are an extension of the series. Just like the 1996-W Roosevelt or the 2011-S Silver Eagle.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Any update?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should be in the Kennedy sets, and also included in the modern commemorative half dollar sets, since they are a little bit of both.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    I emailed the Set Registry folks last night asking them which sets I can add my 2014 50th anniversary 4-coin set coins into.
    Waiting on a reply.

BTW I got PL 70 on the enhanced S-mint coin.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    A bit late to the game, but I concur with what appears to be the universal opinion of the the other top Kennedy registry collectors.

I also e-mailed BJ this morning regarding the addition of these coins to the Kennedy registries and got the following in response:

"PCGS recognizes those coins as commemoratives, not regular issues. Therefore, both of those coins are available to add to the commemorative sets. Several weeks ago I contacted the graders at PCGS regarding this issue to see if they had any plans to reclassify the coins. To date, they have not made a decision, so for now, the coins will not be listed in the regular Kennedy sets."

My reply to this was as follows:

From the standpoint of a Kennedy halves collector (who BTW, does not collect commems), this decision is a very disappointing one. Also, from the standpoint of consistency, the decision is a curious one as these coins were not issued by the US Mint as commemoratives, but rather as a “special issue” (similar to past special mint sets). Applying the current logic upon which the present PCHS decision was based, shouldn’t the 1976-S MS silver issue (PCGS coin #6728) also be considered a commem and excluded from the Kennedy half dollar composites?

If my understanding of PCGS’ composite philosophy [regarding acceptable options within a set] is correct, then:
      Similarly dated coins of differing designs (ie 1964 PR or Accent Hair) are OK;
      Similarly dated coins of differing compositions (ie the afore mentioned ’76-S silver or the ’76-P/D clad example) are OK;
      Similarly dated coins of differing strike types (i.e. 2005 MS strikes or 2008 Satin Finish strikes; the 1998 MS strikes or the ’98-S SMS strike) are OK;
      Similarly dated coins of differing design, composition AND strike types (i.e. the 2014 2-pc 4-pc Kennedys) are considered commems (?)
    Just my 2C...
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting...My son has a Proof Kennedy set. I saw that only the 2 (clad and silver proof) were to be added, But I bought him the 4 coin set slabbed - just in case.

Now as far at PCGS and the brain trust goes...I doubt there is not a regularly current minted series that does not have some heartfelt concern from the collecting body as to just how the brain trust came up with the inclusion, or lack of inclusion of certain coins. It has always been my opinion that the top 5 set holders should be the brain trust -a bone if you would, that could be thrown now and then to have the collector base more involved and transparent in the decisions as to what coins are added or not.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Well, it's official. The design used for the 50th Anniversary of the Kennedy Half Dollar will be used on ALL Kennedy Half Dollars from now on. Proof, Silver Proof, and business struck coins.

So, what this means, is that the decision to have these as "Commemorative" coins, should be reviewed. Specifically, because in 1932, the US Mint issued a "circulating" coin as a "commemorative" for the 200th years of George Washington's birth. That coin design was adopted for the US Quarter Dollar Design in 1934 and is today's Washington Quarter.

Since this 50th Anniversary Design will now be used on every Kennedy produced, shouldn't the coins in the 4 coin set be included in the Kennedy Half Dollar Series instead of being stuck with commemoratives? Of course this would include the cnclad two coin sets.

And since metallic content doesn't seem to affect whether or not a coin is included in a set, maybe the gold coin should be included as well? I mean, it makes as much sense as including the 1964 SMS Coin in the "Kennedy Half Dollars Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present) when even that coins counterparts (1965 SMS, 1966 SMS and 1967 SMS) are a part of the "Kennedy Half Dollars Complete Variety Set, Proof (1964-Present)" Set?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I suggest you also write BJ as the rest of us have.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    So have they been removed from the Commemorative Registry? They don't belong there as they are not part of the US Commemorative Coin Program.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So have they been removed from the Commemorative Registry? They don't belong there as they are not part of the US Commemorative Coin Program. >>

-----------------------------

I sure hope they don't remove them,,,,, not after I bought them just to keep my Commemorative Set up to date. image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So have they been removed from the Commemorative Registry? They don't belong there as they are not part of the US Commemorative Coin Program. >>

I sure hope they don't remove them,,,,, not after I bought them just to keep my Commemorative Set up to date. image

GrandAm image >>

I bought some too but they really don't belong in the set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

GrandAm image >>

I bought some too but they really don't belong in the set. >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I argued that point but I lost image

GrandAm image
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I see this on the registry page:

2/11/15
    2014 Kennedy Anniversary Coins

PCGS is reclassifying the 2014 Kennedy half dollars from commemoratives to half dollars. Set composites will be updated in the next week to reflect these changes. Should you have any questions, please contact setregistry@collectors.com.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Put them in The Kennedy Sets also but leave them in The Commemorative Sets.

GrandAm image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so glad these were removed! I boought the 4 peice set to complete my raw Kennedy set.. I hate buying coins twice to fill holes.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Is the gold Kennedy half being reclassified also?

• Options

<< <i>Is the gold Kennedy half being reclassified also? >>

Yes.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the gold Kennedy half being reclassified also? >>

Yes. >>

Then it should be interesting to see where the gold 2016 Mercuries, SLQs and Walkers appear in the registry sets.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's a bummer I bought two of the coins and made two of the coins now they don't have a home in the Commemorative set and I sold all the Kennedys. image
    Only kept the ones for the type sets of Halves.
  • Options
    I plan on dropping my Kennedy's in the Kettle of The Salavation Army next Christmas. image

GrandAm image