Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Started an 1869 mint set -- keep me in mind if you run across any coins

Finally got around to starting a 100 year birthday set, something I've always wanted to do.

I'm interested in coins graded AU55-MS63. Especially if you run across a 3 cent silver. I'll post pictures as I build the set and give thanks to referrals image

Here's my first purchase…

PCGS MS 63

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds fun............Best of luck

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Imaged coin two, this is a PCGS MS63 old rattle holder coin.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1869 was a good year for varieties. I just crossed over my No Rays Type Shield Nickel from ICG to PCGS;

1869 5C RPD FS-1305 (FS-005.6) PCGS MS62

Continued success...
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Such beautiful and classic designs. Underrated IMO. When I was younger, I thought the St. Gaudens double eagle was king. Then the walkers and standing liberty. But lately I'm all about V nickels, the trime, etc.

The wreath... the rims... the font... even the portrait subject is prettier IMO. Just classic beauty.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>1869 was a good year for varieties. I just crossed over my No Rays Type Shield Nickel from ICG to PCGS;

1869 5C RPD FS-1305 (FS-005.6) PCGS MS62

Continued success... >>

I need some help grading shield nickels. Most I see in PCGS holders in AU55-MS65 grade have a lot of die polish, I assume, cause if not die polished than there are a lot of cleaned coins in genuine PCGS holders.

When I submit a coin that I say, wow this is nice! It comes back cleaned, when there are clearly zero hairlines over any devices, but the fields have the same die polish I see on PCGS graded coins.

So what gives...what am I missing, cause I don't see anything different in what I'm submitting versus what is already in the slabs. Sure would like some insights if you are knowledgeable in this series...
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be at a good sized show on Friday. I will keep an eye out as I am not really looking for too much for myself besides Cherrypicking top pop Mercury Dime Varieties. If I see an 1869 between 55-63 then I will get the dealer's business card, write down what I found and then send you a message with details.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Went to NH Coin Expo today. As expected, pretty much a ghost town as the weather probably hampered travel. Will probably be busier tomorrow.

I spent 2.5 hrs and visited every dealer, and to my shock/disbelief, I did not see 1 MS coin dated 1869 other than a few IHC's.

Literally not a single one. I saw about 6 proofs but I am building circulation strikes.

Oh well, back to the internet for hunting coins and anything you guys can recommend I look at.

Thx.
  • Options
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be at a good sized show on Friday. I will keep an eye out as I am not really looking for too much for myself besides Cherrypicking top pop Mercury Dime Varieties. If I see an 1869 between 55-63 then I will get the dealer's business card, write down what I found and then send you a message with details. >>

I saw nothing.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Thanks for trying! I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    I'm on the hunt for an 1869 25C ... I haven't actually seen one yet in a slab for sale.

Thought I'd bump this one time for some help image
  • Options
    Latest addition to my 1869 set. Came in the mail today. Super nice coin, in a PCGS AU55 holder.

Here's a link to my set...building this set will be a marathon not a sprint. I've made some headway recently (spending a little bit more time/money on it), so I'm trying to strike the iron while it is hot (e.g. nice coins available, I try to by them as they come up and are decently priced).

Link to my 1869 Registry Set

• Options
    Nice strike! I never noticed the berry(?) to the left of the ribbon on the reverse before...just checked mine IHC's...sure enough it is there, but not as defined as yours.

• Options
    The mailwoman was kind today and brought this back from PCGS grading for me ;-)

It is totally original, graded AU58. Nice addition to my set...

• Options
    The next time she comes around ask her if she has any coming my way!

Really nice gold piece!

• Options
    Just won this guy tonight at SB auction in Baltimore (bid online) to add to my 1869 registry set.

I paid more than I wanted to, but at the same time the coin kind of spoke to me...oh well, I didn't horrendously overpay, at least now the 69-S original coin has a twin 69-P original coin (albeit 69-P is a higher grade).

• Options
    imageimage

What is this worth to you if you need it?

• Options
    Great set to build ..... Should be fun! Enjoy
    Condor
  • Options
    Thank you all!

CACsetman, nice 3CN man. A bit above my budget for this "hole"...I'm trying to save $$ for more expensive coins in this set like the Gold issues (I plopped down some nice cash for the 1869 $2.5 in a PCGS MS61 holder, now I'm chasing the 1869 $5 coins (P and S)....and the 1869 25C (which I haven't actually seen for sale in a non-problem holder...so I know it will be big bucks).

I have a couple nice 63's and another one in grading right now that I really like the look of; bought it dirt cheap ($85) and is in grading right now. I hope it goes 62 or 63 (see below photos), and with this look the coin is just fine for my set.

To be honest, right now I have about $28k worth of bids out there on various tougher 1869 coins so I might be making some nice additions to my set over the coming 2 months...I learned from previous registry sets to save some dry powder for the tougher coins and buy them first if I can...the $4k-$15k coins...because they don't come up for sale that often.

PS. I have already had a few of the coins get CAC sticker... the 1C, 5C, 69-S 50C, 69-S $2.5, and hopefully soon some others as I send in another batch to CAC in about a month. I have not bought a single CAC coin for this set, all of the CAC coins I have now I "made" at PCGS (even more fun!!) and then got stickered at CAC. I'm not against buying "pre-made" CAC, but it is a lot more fun for me to make "CAC" coins image

• Options
    wait until you try compiling a 1795 year set like I did-LOL

• Options

• Options
    Thank you for lead. It looks fairly spot free/problem free. Wonder why it's in a 62 holder? Maybe there is no luster or it is hair-lined or something...

Keep my in mind if you see other things, as well, out there on the Internet.

/mdg.