Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #1

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yep, I've been looking around the Roosies on the pop report, the PCGS and NGC registries, and eBay/TT. What the heck is going on?

Where are all the great Roosie collectors???

Who made the following Roosies and where are they:

1965 MS68FB B.S. (1/0)
1966 MS68FB B.S. (1/0)
1970 MS66FB image
2004-D Dbl Ear FS-701, there about 6 of these graded.

Just curious. image

Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few of us are still around. Check out the NGC registries and look at the populations of the coins you mentioned. I think you will be very surprised.

The market is pretty flat or down. I used the opportunity to rebuild my set after selling off a few years ago. Still working on it, but slowly as the ones I still need have been a bit more difficult to find this time around.
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

Welcome back image
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Paul

Welcome back. I don't think we've had Roosie talk since you left. What's going on in Roosies is what I call "The slow death of the Roosevelt Dime".
    Pops are sky rocketing while prices are plummeting. In just the last 6-12 months I saw low pop coins triple, and I don't mean in value. The 63D
    67FB not too long ago considered one of the kings of the set is now a common pop 11, A year ago it was a pop 3. The 54S 67FB now pop
    13, a year ago pop 5. 55P, 55S, 57P, 58P have all had their pops double or triple over the past year.

Collector base is practically nonexistent. There are a few true blue collectors still out there and I am one of them. Forget the registry though, and
    forget about making a profit. My game plan... Hold until I die. That way I'll never realize a loss and my kids will have a gain at any price.

I do have to add that the varieties are dirt cheap and I don't mind picking them up. Once you get over a few graded the price drops dramatically.
    I just wait until that happens.

Happy Hunting
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to the NGC registries and didn't see any sets that are familiar. Kinda sad actually.

I just cannot get over some of the Roosies that are made. I remember when Nick bought the '63-D 7FB, then it was a pop (1/0) and that was the last coin he needed for his complete 7FB set. Now its a pop (11/0)? Dang!!!

I also seen that Danny Holmes, my buddy, has a modest Roosies set that is coming up on 50% complete.

Where is my old set Nick? Does The original Guy still have it? I actually w/o looking it up, cannot remember his name or handle.

Erwindoc, I remember you were new on the scene when I was leaving for a break. I actually went over to the PSA baseball card side of things and love it to death.

Nick, I owe you for everything. You are the most amazing collector/friend I could have ever met. I was just looking at my old set on the registry and this coming up 5/25/2014 will be the 10th anniversary since you gave me your 1998-P MS68FB (4/0) now a pop (7/0) when I inquired about buying one of your dimes when you retired your clad set. You were extremely gracious and sold me a boat load of dimes...even when I couldn't afford them. image

Where is JHF? Is he still well?

Paul.

Later, Paul.
    BTW, I just bought a 1979-D MS67 dime for $18.50 delivered. Now read this:

I made this coin and when I did it was a pop (7/0). I was bragging that I graded this coin and Wondercoin asked to buy it. Stated that he would pay a handsome price for it (probably hundreds) since he had a client looking for it. It is now a pop (60/3) and I just picked it up for a few over grading fees.

Times have changed.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
    I agree with Nick and Jaime. Add up the pops from both major grading services and coins that were rare a few years ago are not. I'm just waiting for a few more 57P's and 58P's in FB/FT to be graded so I can upgrade my set.

Some of the big coins are still bringing big dollars though. I'll be curious to see what the big Roosies on Heritage do during the course of the FUN show.

I still think its a good time to be buying.

<< <i>Some of the big coins are still bringing big dollars though. I'll be curious to see what the big Roosies on Heritage do during the course of the FUN show. >>

Ya I was just on the HA website and did a search for the 2 coins I was looking for:

1965 MS68FB #25057850 sold on 03/21/13 for $3818.75
    1966 MS68FB #25004467 sold on 11/01/13 for $2820.00

Those are 2 monster coins.

I made the 2nd 1967 MS68FB after buying a MS68 and sending it in for the FB, for just over $300.

I have always had a thing for those 3 dimes. Wish I owned them and the 3 MS69FB's that Nick once owned.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
    Paul,

Your old clad set has been broken up, passed around and is probably scattered all around by now. I know where a dozen
    or so of them are but that's about it. I think Dr. Brown ended up with several of them too.

I made the 4th 58P 67FB and I think Mitch made the 5th. The 67+FB was an all there NGC cross. I bought the 63P 67+FB
    which was also an NGC cross coin thinking I would have a pop 1/0 for ever. 30 days later pop 2/0.....
    recently picked up all the remaining keys I needed except the 53P. Thought I got a deal on the 63D 67FB when it went
    to pop 5. Two months later pop 11 and there goes 50% of my value out the window. The only coins holding up are
    plus graded coins. I paid $800 for my 54S 67FB at pop 11 (now 14). I use to sell these for $2500 when available. now
    get one graded 67+FB and I bet it sells for $2000 - $2500.

Supply far outweighs demand as the collector base slowly evaporates. Thank Goodness for the Mint Set and date set
    collectors holding prices up or else Roosies would be like catching a falling knife.

Like I said I'm still a collector, But at tomorrows prices, not yesterdays. I can wait out a coin and I will only spend
    money I don't ever plan on seeing again.

By the way Paul, The 70P 66FB that was made.... Gorgeous image
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed the sale of nearly all of JHF's remaining clad dimes recently in Teletrade's final auction a few weeks ago and the dimes that night did very well with at least (3) serious parties pursuing them. Judging from the results, I would say that someone (or even a couple people) might be quietly putting together a spectacular clad MS Roosie set. That would be wonderful if it is the case. I had one dime that did not get into that final sale (I believe it is a 2001-D MS69FB) and it will likely appear in the next weekly Stacks/Bowers sale starting tomorrow (Monday). So, the former JHF clad dime set is now history and it appears that a number of collectors ended up with the coins.

"Collector base is practically nonexistent. There are a few true blue collectors still out there and I am one of them. Forget the registry though, and
    forget about making a profit. My game plan... Hold until I die. That way I'll never realize a loss and my kids will have a gain at any price."

Man, Nick hit the nail on the head here. Look, I was #1 in the 1999 PCGS MS Set Registry for Silver Roosies (there was no registry even on the internet back then!) I had a blast creating that first set. It went to Registrycoin, and then JHF and along the way, I bought Nick's first #1 PCGS Silver Set (and Craig's fabulous selections) for JHF to create, at the time, the most amazing set of PCGS Silver Roosies imaginable. That set auctioned off at Superior in 2009 and a lot of great coins went all over the place (including higher graded NGC holders).

But, great mint state silver Roosie dimes are still being uncovered every day and week. Without even trying very hard, Nick and I are now back in the top (5) MS silver sets. I am a "true blue collector" as is Nick and a couple other guys. I also have little interest in "making a profit" on these coins and if my son Justin ends up with my collection one day, he will have a "gain at any price" just like Nick's kids. I've slabbed a couple neat dimes myself recently such as a 1949-P and 1949-S in MS67+FB (pop 1/1 and 2/0 now), not to mention the first of (2) now 1952-P MS67+FB coins. It's still fun and that is all that matters.

And, by the way Paul, JHF is doing great. He is concentrating heavily on his US Philippine collections of coins these days and having more fun than ever! I recently had an opportunity to assist JHF with upgrading his USPI coins in Hong Kong and got the opportunity to see many of his "crown jewels" in the collection. To say it is a world class set would be an understatement.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Wow! We really have Roosie talk again. Thanks Paul I think you just increased values by 10%.

Mitch, When I saw that 49P show up in your set a couple weeks ago I sure was jealous. You're
    right on when you said great new coins are being discovered every week. Check out the pops
    when they update. You might see a few surprises. image

<< <i>Paul,

Your old clad set has been broken up, passed around and is probably scattered all around by now. I know where a dozen
    or so of them are but that's about it. I think Dr. Brown ended up with several of them too. >>

Well that set was fun to make and I always had hoped that those coins would find some good homes, and I believe if some of them reside with Dr. Brown then they sit in the #1 set and they have found a good Home. image

<< <i>By the way Paul, The 70P 66FB that was made.... Gorgeous image >>

I never thought I would ever live to see a 1970 Roosie in a 6FB or 7FB. I would just love to hold that coin in my hot little hands! To think I paid $500 for my 4FB back in the day.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
    More questions?

I see that C.A.C. is still grading the PCGS holders. Noticed that they do not grade moderns. Any change in the stance on grading the 1946-1964 Roosevelt dimes? They grade Mercs (Same denom.) and they grade Franklins (Almost same years).

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Hello to all of my Roosies buddies. We are all still around lurking. Fred
    Only other big thing I am considering is the plus designation for my clads. NGC just started giving out plusses for their certified clad coinage, so now I have to decide if Im going to resubmit a few or not. Does PCGS already give the (+) to clad moderns?
    CAC does not sticker Roosevelts. Not in any future plans that I know of.

Hi Fred. Now if we could just get Colorfulcoins and Rainbowroosie to chime in.

As of the new year PCGS will be offering "Reconsideration" as a grading option. I think this is great. They don't offer
    The + yet but I believe within a year they will. It will then become like designation review was for FB but now for the
    plus.

Going forward don't underestimate the plus on a holder. Consider it 3/4 of a grade.
    The 2001-D PCGS-MS69FB coin is in this week's Stacks/Bowers sale with a starting bid of $2,000.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    I think the market is still strong for high grade PCGS coins, it's just hard to prove through auction archives because most deals are done outside of auctions. I've been told by two dealers that they have buyers all day long for high grade/low Pop silver roosies but clads are slow. There are two things to consider with roosies. One is the fact that this series needs a change. It's currently the longest running series without a design change. Two, the series is still relatively new and there are countless numbers of coins sitting in rolls and mint sets, hence the reason for the pop increasing at a steady pace. However once you get pre 1958 it gets more difficult to make a big coin with eye appeal.

Nick gave me some great words of wisdom a few years back, "buy quality and you will always find a buyer"...how true! Buy the superbly toned gems that are extremely difficult to find. Some of the old mint set coins have "over baked" (turned nearly black which is environmental damage) which makes the toned beauties more difficult to come by and in the long run makes it more difficult to find a high grade toned gem Go on the NGC registry and look at Rainbow Roosies set which I would argue is one of the most eye appealing sets in numismatics, and that's a big statement. There are currently several BIG coins on the FUN auction that fit this description, superbly toned high grade gems.

Merry Christmas All and Happy Collecting,
    BA
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now if we could just get Colorfulcoins and Rainbowroosie to chime in. >>

Wow, how soon one is forgotten...image
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    Sorry Jim,

Didn't mean to leave you out.

Well, The pops updated and the silvers showed a dramatic increase since the last update. MS68FB's went up from 51 - 54 a 6%
    increase. MS67+FB went up from 85 - 102 a 20% increase. We did have the Las Vegas show during that time period which added
    to the likelihood of "special" coins being submitted. This reminds me of when the FB first came out. Just before that time an MS68 silver Roosie
    brought $3500 - $4500. Today a silver MS68 Roosie brings $1000 - $2000 and an MS68FB brings $3000 - $5000. I see the same thing
    happening with the plus grade. Pretty soon an MS67FB will just be a so so coin and the MS67+FB will be the coin of choice. As more and more
    plus coins are graded prices will drop from their current premiums as they did when the FB first came out.

I'm not going to comment on the Clads because I think that's a different animal and still very young.

Of course this is just my "10c" worth
    Onlyroosies
    "This reminds me of when the FB first came out. Just before that time an MS68 silver Roosie
    brought $3500 - $4500. Today a silver MS68 Roosie brings $1000 - $2000 and an MS68FB brings $3000 - $5000."

But, you left out on important point...

Many of the great coins are worth EVEN MORE TODAY than they were back 10 years ago due to the wonderful thing called "gradeflation". Like every one of the new MS68FB coins that was a PCGS-MS67FB back then for example. Even a coin like my 49-P in MS67+FB (that I graded last month) is worth MORE today that the MS67FB price it was worth 5 or 10 years ago when it was sitting in an MS67FB holder. The great coins perform well in the "ratings game" and likely always will.

Clad dimes are seeing good times indeed now (and it generally always helps when a landmark collection like that of JHF set is sold off into the winds). True story ... maybe 7 years ago, I set aside a handful of 1996-W PCGS-MS68 dimes that I thought were either MS68+ to MS69 quality and/or really FB (selected out of a large number of specimens I had the pleasure to screen). Back then, a top pop MS68FB dime of this date was worth a couple hundred dollars. Today, I see they are worth even more in MS68FB ... it looks like upwards of 50% more (closer to $300 maybe). How did this happen? For one thing, I need the coin for the "Top 100 Moderns" collection as well as the 1982 NO P dime. So, add a couple dozen serious collectors to the want list for these two clad dimes regardless of how many, or how few, collectors are building the complete Mint State clad dime collection. But, even more exciting, I suspect, scoring a pop 1/0 (or even a pop 2/0) MS68+FB of a 96-W dime could possibly be a couple thousand dollar coin in this market. I can't wait to find out if I get lucky on couple of these MS68 beauties graded many years ago that I have been sitting on! Not only that, these MS68 clad coins are so inexpensive, most folks could probably transport them to FUN in their check in luggage and not worry that much image

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    I agree with Jaime, Mitch you're talking about an experienced dealer like yourself. You're talking about a whole
    different animal here. "Upgrades". This is not what the average collector does. Hoarding is also NOT what a collector
    does. You're talking about one or two special coins. I'm talking about a complete series. You're talking about a
    specialized collector like a mint set collector. I'm talking about a complete collection of Roosevelt dimes.

You're saying you have to pay an enormous premium for a top quality coin or hoard many coins of the same
    grade so when gradflation hits again your investment will be protected. That's OK on a few coin basis, Not
    on a complete collection of a series, and in this discussion that's Roosies.

I'm willing to pay up for certain Roosies right now, but that's because I have no intention of making a return
    on my investment. If I decide to sell within the next 10 years I expect to lose money. I'm talking about
    Roosevelt Dimes. the only way to make money is through upgrades....

You had better Love Roosies if you want to collect them.....

I Love Roosies
    Nick Cascio
    I did get an ms67+fb 95-p pop 1/0 and now it's already a pop 1/1. Thanks to Mitch

Jaime,,, Are you sure about that? image

Is your 73D 67FB for sale?
    Guys... My comment "wonderful thing" was a bit sarcastic. I do not mind deserving coins moving up over time. I am very concerned when undeserving coins make the grade. Wondercoin.

Edited to add... Regarding the thanks to Mitch ... Nick your last comment was combining two different concepts.
    Your right Mitch. I didn't see the period. My Mistake.
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Save up yer money Roosie people I will have unique top pops from 1968-1981 during the next couple of months!
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see a Rosie thread. I've always been different in putting my set together, never cared solely about pop tops and sold many to find the stooped rainbow coins I always wanted. You all can buy them when I'm dead, Nick will sell for my daughter! I just love the colors.

Rosie's are the only coins that you can do a set with great color. I used to do Frankie's and had some great ones, but it was too hard to do the whole set the way I wanted. I've done well buying since the last FUN Show, bought two coins for my personal set, several others to remain competitive. Who is going to FUN? I'm there on Thursday and want to say hello to all. ... This is kind of rambling, I'm on my IPAD.

Next year, assuming Nick honors us with his presence, I'll bring my color set for you hard core Rosie guys to view in person. When you see it as a set, it is far more impressive. Damn, I love bragging on my Rosie's, now if I can just get Jim to part with....
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I'm going on Friday.
    Mark, Can I put my order in now. I would like a 74P, 78P and an 80P&D all 66FB or better.

Nick
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if I can just get Jim to part with.... >>

Bill,

Must be that 1961 Proof, right?

I'll be at FUN on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday, not sure if Friday is possible. Let's hook-up and you can tell me again just how wonderful your Roosie set is...

Oh, the 61 is below...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    Jim,
    Bring the 61 proof.........image

Yes, that one...
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, ok - you guys have got me looking at my clad rosies from a set I never completed image Maybe there's an upgrade to be had - I better get true views while I'm at it. I hope this doesn't cost me too much image
    Nick I will try hope some 67fb on some other low pop dates but will see
    Here's a beautiful Roosie. Was NGC 68*FT. Now PCGS 68FB and all there. If I remember right this coin originated from
    Colorfulcoins Roosie collection. JHF bought the coin and sold it in his Auction.

That's an awesome roosie!

Mark, if you make some NGC dimes, keep me posted.
    Jason, I might run some through NGC. The problem is that the collector base is even thinner than PCGS. By the way to PCGS elitest's NGC is basically grading modern mint state coins on a par with PCGS from what I have seen. NGC is tougher on proof top pops but the gap is also closing this past year. Both companies are plagued by coins slabbed 4-8 years ago when both standards were down from my experience. There is just no way they would slab coins from that period as high now days. Believe it or not NGC has become brutal and the prices have not caught up yet.
    I love that 51D, and yes it was a PC coin about 4-5 years ago until someone had to make it a star image

At one time or another I've owned all 3 of the 1951D PCGS MS68FB's. IMHO this one is the best of the 3. The
    only reason I don't snap it up is because I currently own the JHF 1951D MS68FB. I would trade straight across
    if I could. I don't own the coin or own any interest in it. I do know that Andy over at Angel Dee's is handling the
    sale of the coin.

Hey Andy wanna trade....image
    Andy will also the 51P MS68+*FT at FUN which is the highest graded FT silver roosie by either grading service.
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Nice thread! image
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone collect any of the Roosevelt varieties? I am about to crossover a 1989 No P Strong that is ANACS MS66. I see that there are a few 67 and at least one 68, but you never know with the old small white holders. I will post the result(s) when I receive them.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    I think you mean the 1982 No P variety right?

Roosies are a narrow market. Id say that the varieties are even smaller. That said, there are a few that do collect them, myself, Nick and a few others.
    I need a 1982 no P Weak FS-502. I have the strong in 67FB already.
  • I agree, Nice thread
    Today, Lablover officially owned and ruled the Rosie market at FUN. Jim was a major buyer and he came home with some outstanding coins, several of which should upgrade. Angel Dee also displayed some high power Rosie's, with numerous low pop coins. The 53S is truly outstanding.

Some toned dollars at the show, but very few monster Morgans. Andy Kimmel was at Larry Shepard's SIMCO table showing off two, including his "Comet" wonder coin. If you've seen pictures of this coin, it looks better in hand. That is a nice coin and I'm a jaded reviewer!!

FUN was heavy with traffic in the aisles and it appeared trading was brisk. It also appeared that more dealers were present than in previous years, might be the configuration of the new room.

Above all, everyone noted and lamented Nick not being able to attend. Dinner simply wasn't the same without him. We all look forward to bigger and better Rosie buys and finds next year in Tampa...a little golf at the PGA course will also be in order.

News Flash: I could not get Lablover to sell me the 61 proof Roosie monster coin (above);however, I plotted and planned and eventually I was able to "trade" him a MONSTER MS 67 star 47 P Rosie for it. This was a win/win deal for both of us. My proof Rosie 1950-64 set gets a serious upgrade and Jim gets a superb 47 color coin for his set (I made the trade even though I think the coin may eventually upgrade). This is what is so great about FUN: you meet your friends, enjoy the high life, and get an opportunity to acquire coins that only change hands in person. If you really want to build a greatest of all time set, you need help. You need good friends advising you, encouraging you, and keeping their eyes open for you. You also need to pay what is needed to pry loose a great coin, and be willing to part with great coins, since sometimes that's the only way you can get the other great coins you need. My public thanks to Jim and my compliments to him on dedication to the search for greatness and his ability to find eye appealing roosies!

If you come to FUN next year, I'll show off my Rosie rainbow proof set, or maybe my rainbow Washington proof set, now I'm just bragging!image
    Anyone here pick up some of the NGC gems sold by heritage?

Not Me, How about you Jason.

I see Paul Kiraly already added the 1947-S MS68*FT to his registry set.