Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

An old condensed Jefferson nickel thread.....

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
This coin is an EDS example! If your posted coin falls short of an EDS strike, tell us why or tell us the area where it's not struck up.

imageimageimageimage

What the heck....here's another that seems to defy all odds!

How about another EDS Relief Jefferson nickel? Afterall, that's all I seem to collect these days. Here's an example that
details more design in the hair than usual that leaves me wondering......is this the ultimate in strike?

Here's one of those coins that won't win me any high esteem awards but how can I improve on it? It has an EDS strike and it's prooflike, the two most rarest qualities a coin can have and it grades a lowly MS64FS. image

But yet, I'm happy as a true collector can get owning this coin.

Well, here's mine! Not a full stepper though, there's only 4.75 steps, image not that I don't have one, in fact, I have 2 or 3 with nice steps but the strike, prooflike fields and gold and blue toning on this one out-class them all. And I have no doubts whatsoever that there are examples just as nice with certified steps. This is the best I've done in regards to strike, grade and eye appeal......and there are some steps!

Here are two of my favorites. The strike is stronger an the first while the grade/condition is higher
on the other. They both have SEA!

Here's another coin with a great strike. Obviously from all the apparent scuffs, this slab got tossed around a bit because no one wanted it. Makes me wonder how many collectors snubbed their noses to this coin because there was no FS designation! image The steps are very nice with a slight bridge and the combination of the strike, grade/condition, nice underlying luster and toning gives this tough date some very nice eye appeal.

The problem with this coin, we haven't been able to locate a better one. I guess if it had some corrosion on
it in the form of some eye catching toning..............

The first was in a MS66FS holder for the longest time while all along we knew it was a MS67 calibur coin. Finally made it!
The second coin is a nice one as well, love the toning. Both coins have excellent strikes and SEA!

Here are two more coins from the MichelD collection. Please note the absence of the "horseshoe" effect
on the reverse sides which is a very common problem on the 1939-S, 1940-S and 1941-S dates.
Also note on the above example, it's very close to 6 steps for a "reverse of 1938" nickel. This is about
as close as you can get for a true 5 complete full step coin as both the riser and tread are present
on the 5th step.

Both dates are very difficult to locate fully struck without the "horseshoe" effect. If you can locate them,
don't worry too much about whether there are a couple of marks in the main focal area. As you can see
and likely a first for many collectors here, what these two coins look like fully struck with SEA!

I think everyone needs to go out and find themselves some nicely struck Jefferson nickels! image

Here's a very nice 1956-D with a very rare strike! It took me a long time to add this high quality date to my collection. As for the steps, they're not struck up in the lower center but the rest of the coin IS struck up and that makes me a very happy guy! The interesting fact about this coin, will I be able to locate another with an equal strike and eye appeal with better steps? Hopefully but there are a few other dates that I need to improve on.

The 1950-D Jefferson nickel is indeed a rare coin if you can find an EDS struck example! Although this example exhibits a rare above average strike, there are a few areas were the detail could be stronger.
The following example has a better strike.
imageimage

Here's a coin I picked up from the CSNS coin show in Chicago. I have bought and sold 4 1953-D PCGS MS65FS coins and none of them could match the overall quality of this coin! The coin has brighter gold toning throughout than the picture shows and there are 3 bands of red, green and gold running through LIBERTY and the date but it's not a lustrous coin.
But the following coin, MikeD's example, was very likely one of the first coins struck from the first set of dies made from the master hubs for the Denver production of nickels. Where are the others?
imageimage
And here's another but with a somewhat lesser strike.
imageimage
And here's another powerfully struck 1953-D!

Full relief 1954-S examples are seldom seen this nice. There's one other example that I'm aware of that may be just as nice.

Hi everyone
Nothing to see here. Just moving a couple of pics from another thread.

The only way this coin could improve is with more luster.
And the only way this coin could improve is with a stronger strike.

This 1948 example is one of the very best high quality examples to own. The strike and grade
condition are maxed out giving it incredible eye appeal.

I wish I could locate an example of this date that would match that of the above coin. Interestingly
enough, the only way to do that is through the 1949-D/S variety. As it does come with an EDS strike.

This might surprise some of you but locating a high quality example of the 1957-D has not been easy for me.
I have another PCGS MS65FS but the strike on this one has more detail especially from 20 year old master hubs.

So far, it's been slow a year. Not a lustrous coin but a couple of qualities can be appreciated with this one in a strong strike and near markfree surfaces.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, very informative.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Some nice looking nickles.

What is an EDS strike?
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some nice looking nickles.

What is an EDS strike? >>

Great question! EDS stands for Early Die State. This description is one of many used to describe the condition of the two dies used to strike a coin. The earliest the better. Other terms that are used, MDS for Mid Die State, LDS Late Die State, VLDS Very Late Die State, there may be others.
    The most important IMO is the EDS strike. There are also some minor descriptions used; full strike, medium strike, weak strike, misnomer.

In other words, an understanding on how coins are produced is another way to look at the strike characteristics of a coin. In this case, the Jefferson nickel, which is very important due to the hardness of the nickel-copper alloy. But anyways, after the two master hubs, the obverse and reverse are made, master dies are traced from them. For every year of a series that remains in production to make coins, new master dies are traced from the master huds.
    And than, many sets of working hubs are made from the master dies and in turn, hundreds of working dies that strike the coins are made from those working hubs.
    So....where do all those abbreviations fit in? In theory, EDS struck coins are likely produced from the earliest working dies made from the earliest working hubs. And the VLDS struck coins come from the last working dies made from the last set of working hubs. And in between are seen the many variations of the original design in the strike of all those coins.
    EDS struck coins will have all of the original design intended by the sculptor. VLDS struck coins will show a tremondous loss of detail. For those who have been having trouble visualizing the differences, I'll post some pictures later this week.
    It's also important to remember that with each set of dies the working hubs stamp out, the original design loses some detail and it's the continued use of the working dies striking the planchets that wear down the fastest.

Leo

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Leo,

Great post and awesome coins! I always have to look through these coins pictures, even though I've seen them before!

Dowgie
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another one for you guys. Tried to capture the gold, green, purple and reds to no avail. One of
    the oldest members to the collection. This was the first 65 graded by ANACS.

Leo

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have a question on the 1938-D

my thought was if there was a shadow close to the head and 'bubbly' fields further out, then I was looking at mid to later die state

your coin is very well struck, with letters complete around periphery - but also a first year type coin

is my generalization off?
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭
    OLDER THREAD

Some nice nickels in here! Well worth bringing to the top for another look!