Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Could it be the final word in 1908-s Indians? Tell me what you see ....

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doug

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67RD?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm .... PCGS has not graded any 67Reds .....yet image
    Doug

<< <i>Hmmm .... PCGS has not graded any 67Reds .....yet image >>

A: I didn't say PCGS. image

B: I know Jack squat about Cents.

C: It still looks MS67RD too me! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a MS-67RD when compared to this coin!

1908-S MS-66RD PCGS

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rick,

I am up early this morning. Hope you are have a good time in Fla. I will be there on the 8th.

Dougs coin image looks like a full strike PQ MS66RD specimen. The image of the coin you posted is a good example of why photoseal was founded.

Edited: to add MS66RD
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
    Yes, we'll see you soon. I'm sitting in chilly FL waiting for the show to start.

I think it is close to finest known and a shot 67RD.

When I bought this coin, it took me less than 1 second to chain the seller to my table and whip out the checkbook. If it grades 67RD, it's a $70K+ coin.
    Without seeing it in hand it looks of 67RD quality. Now, its just a matter of how many times do you want to send it in? We both might be in wheel chairs by the time it goes 67RD?image
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
    I never tried it.

Good luck, DMWJR!
    I'm not really interested in trying it for a 7 holder and just paying more fees. Been there, done that, and have not been satisfied with the results on a couple of other coins. I only have a couple of IHC's in PCGS holders anyway. I enjoy IHC's, and it gives me something to do while I search for those pesky S mint Lincolns. My short run goal is to do a small cent type set and I am looking for a really nice 66 1859 and a nice 65 flying eagle (66 if I can pay the tab!) I don't have any intention of selling it any time soon, so I think it is just fine sitting in the 66 holder. It is a coin that I really like.

The color of my picture is a little dark. That shot was straight out of the camera, with no editing. I just cropped the slab out. The color is somewhere between my picture and this one that Rick had on his site. (Rick, I hope you don't mind if I post your image here)

Rick's picture is a little washed out compared to the coin in hand. The luster is stunning. Also, I was a little concerned about the shadow on the cheek, but it is indeed a shadow and not on the coin.

Interesting how two pictures of a coin can present so differently.

Doug
    Doug,

Congrats on that 1908-S they don't get any better, I bet that coin is a yellow/gold blazing beauty.

edited for: sp
  • Congrats on that 1908-S they don't get any better, I bet that coin is a yellow/gold blazing beauty.

I don't know, this PQ PCGS MS66RD may be even better. I think the tiny scratch in the field in between the "D," the "S" and the Indian's nose may be all that stood between this coin and the $70K, MS67 grade. This Indian appears to be struck better in the center of the obverse, noticeable in the ear but maybe also in letters of "LIBERTY," the mouth and maybe the eye, and the wreath seems sharper on the reverse. Not to mention that the coin lacks even a hint of a streak on the cheek, or spotting on the neck or in the field around the date... or anywhere else. But there is that scratch.

I think Rick Snow's example is clearly overgraded. As for DMWJR's coin, I think it's a 66RD (but not a 67), but PCGS has been so tough the last few years I wouldn't be surprised if they called it a 65.
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!

Both of the fully struck PCGS MS66RD 1908-S Indians appear to be very nice, maybe equal, maybe not? I don't think one could pick the better of the two coins if one was better from coin images anyway. Nice coins guys!!
    G99G, thanks for your comments and posting that beautiful 08-s!

That is another wonderful strike on your coin, and it's certainly one of the top. However, it does have that scratch. I blew up you picture and there are other marks that should be considered also, like the scratch and "dot" above the feathers and the one below the bottom curl next to the foot of the A. Also, I didn't notice at first but there is some staining/discoloration in front of the portrait that is somewhat hidden by the dark photo. I would like to see your coin in hand. My comments may be to harsh from that picture.

Clearly the coin is better than most 66's!

Doug
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Why should PCGS grade an Indian cent 1908 S ms 67 red ?

They have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If they grade the coin ms 66 red they limit their liability and this is the grading game if you have not as yet realized it.They know someone would pay 70K + for a ms 67 red even if there was some disagreement about the grade.

Stewart

The voice of reason has spoken. See you at the show Stewart.

<< <i>The voice of reason has spoken. See you at the show Stewart. >>

As usual ...

But, I don't think this one has to be in a 67 holder. Man, I just bought it! I would like to hang on to it for a while!!!! That makes the price for it in a 67 holder irrelevant .... at least for awhileimage
    Doug
    I think Rick Snow's example is clearly overgraded.

I know you mean Stacks' example. I just posted it. I want nothing to do with it. (It sold for $8,000 here at FUN)

The liability issue has made it nearly impossible to get any high grade copper graded. I have given up trying!

• << <i>I think Rick Snow's example is clearly overgraded.

I know you mean Stacks' example. I just posted it. I want nothing to do with it. (It sold for $8,000 here at FUN)

The liability issue has made it nearly impossible to get any high grade copper graded. I have given up trying! >>

Rick:

I didn't know it was from Stacks, but I referred to it as "your example," rather than as "your coin," because I couldn't imagine that you owned it.

Please forgive my overwhelming ignorance, but what IS "the liability issue"??? Where or what is the potential liabilty that would deter PCGS from just grading it MS67RD, if that is what they genuinely believe is the most appropriate grade for the coin? Like Sigmund Freud is supposed to have said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Maybe DMWJR's coin really "is," and therefore really should be, graded MS67RD. If PCGS gives the coin a pop. 1-0 grade, so what?
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
    Forgot about this thread. This coin went Pop 1/0 67RD this past May image This was the first time I submitted it since I bought it from Rick in 2008.

Some very good guesses on this thread!!!
    Doug
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap! image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - is that a beauty. Congrats!!! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd say that's the final word. For quite a while at least.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super!

It's a nice looking little beauty, it is!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmmm .... PCGS has not graded any 67Reds .....yet image >>

A: I didn't say PCGS. image

B: I know Jack squat about Cents.

C: It still looks MS67RD too me! image

Later, Paul. >>

Amazing I can grade a Indian Head Cent, but can't seemed to grade a Roosie. image

Later, Paul.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! I believed it was a 67rd as well.
    I wonder what it would go for in auction now, as the market seems a bit softer now than in 2008?
    It sure is a beauty!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

That's a good question. I'm not really interested in finding out. I will say that three top collections came up from 2008 forward and I was able to acquire quite a few of the coins out of them. I didn't think the market was soft when I was buying them. There are a couple of strong IHC collectors still out there and if they don't have a coin, it can go for moon money.
    Doug

<< <i>There are a couple of strong IHC collectors still out there and if they don't have a coin, it can go for moon money. >>

DMWJR, Do You buy all of your high grade IHC's with this Moon Money:

imageimage
    or do you buy'em with a bag of these??? image

Later, Paul.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Looks like a 67 Red to me !! imageimageimageimage

That one will be nearly impossible to beat for sure !!!!!
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Hey Rick I am glad you cleared that up about Stack's coin.

Ken Harrison
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Indian Head Cent!