Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

What is actually considered 'Vintage' nowadays

Am sure the topic is in previous posts if I had searched. It's 2011 now. Back in 2000 I considered 1970 or earlier 'vintage'. Thirty years is a long time for wine. 1979 Topps is thirty years old. What happened.....has time eff'ed with us ? I would bet vintage collectors have issue with 1979 Topps being considered vintage. It is though. Right along with a 51 Berra.

Go Bobby.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Goosh ... I still agree with your 2000 thinking ... It's always been '70 and earlier for me.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I'm not sure there is an exact science to it. I remember when 1973 was considered the last year of vintage because it was the last year of Topps series. I do agree it should be studied to see if the time line should be moved. I will contact the White House and ask for $$ to form a committee on the matter.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    1975 and back for me..
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    I agree that 1973 was the last of the vintage cards because Topps never issued cards in series after that.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• True, but the 1973 set was really not issued in series per se.

All were printed at once and were released all at once in both Florida and California.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I never knew that about the 73's. Wow!!!!!!!! It is the year I also consider vintage.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>True, but the 1973 set was really not issued in series per se.

All were printed at once and were released all at once in both Florida and California. >>

Yep, packs looked like this:

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    At least in L.A. '73's came in series. Never saw the "all series" packs here, they all looked like these

imageimageimageimage

As far as a definition of vintage, WW2 splits it for me. Go to Net 54 and most would probably say WW1

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it irrelevant? A set is what it is. Putting the "vintage" tag on it changes nothing.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't it irrelevant? A set is what it is. Putting the "vintage" tag on it changes nothing. >>

tough to argue with that logic.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    as was intended originally, it was all about grapes....the first 4 of 5 noun descriptions refer specifically to such, and then veer off to other possible definitions within a topic we can identify more readily....i italicized what i think is the best and most apt reference as it relates to cards.....

vin·tage (vntj)
    n.
    1. The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season.
    2. Wine, usually of high quality, identified as to year and vineyard or district of origin.
    3. The year or place in which a wine is bottled.
    a. The harvesting of a grape crop.
    b. The initial stages of winemaking.
    5. Informal
    a. A group or collection of people or things sharing certain characteristics.
    b. A year or period of origin: a car of 1942 vintage.
    c. Length of existence; age.
    adj.
    1. Of or relating to a vintage.
    2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.
    3. Old or outmoded.
    a. Of the best: played songs that were vintage Cole Porter.
    b. Of the most distinctive: "Fatalism has coexisted with vintage American overconfidence" (Thomas Oliphant).
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Bumped a fitting one for you Lochness. They are all here waiting to be rediscovered.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, cpamike! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    No problem. Thanks for the beer. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • I belong to a trading club for years and we consider vintage 1979 back and call 1980 forward " uv cards" lol
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Boy, I wish coin folks would do that with "modern" being post 1980.

Seeing those slabbed, unopened sets reminds me of an off-topic question I've always wondered … Why not open the pack? I mean, there could be the best 10 card of the rarest type in there and you'd never know it. Seems to me like the opposite of what a collector would desire. Like, imagine finding a treasure chest of gold coins and never opening it because you want to keep the chest in "original sealed condition" ... I just don't get it. Perhaps someone can shed some light on their perspective of sealed packs in slabs.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least in L.A. '73's came in series. Never saw the "all series" packs here, they all looked like these

imageimageimageimage

As far as a definition of vintage, WW2 splits it for me. Go to Net 54 and most would probably say WW1 >>

sweet lot
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Imagine that chest of gold coins you mentioned. Well, maybe the coins are all gold, maybe they are all silver, or maybe they are all bronze. Some would like the idea of not opening the chest and going with the thought/hope that they are all gold. Once you open it and discover bronze, well you know...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Traditionally 1981 was the start of the "modern age".
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Vintage 1973 and earlier.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I continue to age, and look at my cards I bought 25 years ago, thats vintage to me.image
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I believe the "vintage" tag line depends on two things- Your age and your experience in the hobby.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases